Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews | Glassdoor

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews

Updated May 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • This is a great product, innovative company (in 58 reviews)

• Thanks to the support of several leaders, I made my way back to Sleep Number in a different role (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little work life balance (in 28 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't care that certain employees abuse discounts reserved for specific circumstances (in 42 reviews)

"It has become a sad place to work"

Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Moosic, PA
    Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Moosic, PA

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The core product is like no other. The actual sales process is thorough and gives the illusion that the company truly wants to improve lives through better sleep.... dig deeper and you realize it is only to make the higher ups in corporate richer with no regard for those at the bottom of the "food chain."

Cons

The extraneous products, the pay structure, the business model, the claim that concerns are anonymous, the way the company devalues employees, delivery on promises to customers post sale, Siebel still has huge issues after 17 months of implementation, COMMUNICATION IS HORRENDOUS THROUGHOUT THE COMPANY, expectations indicated by the inflated and all but unreachable goals.

Advice to Management

I really can't offer any more advice than I have offered and been shot down about because of the politics involved in this company. Sadly, it wasn't always like this. The company seemed to care about its employees and customers 8 and a half years ago when I was hired as a Store Manager. Throughout my career at Sleep Number, I was a valued member of a team, successful in running a store and assisting my District Managers when the opportunities presented themselves. Two of my employees were promoted to managers and I trained or assisted in training 2 other successful managers.

Because of personality differences and healthy differences of opinion, I have been passed over for 2 promotions back to manager after I transferred to another district as a Sleep Expert (a personal decision made to relocate to another area of the country at my request.)

In the short time I have been in my newly assigned district, I have seen decisions made based on politics and personality, not performance. I have seen managers and stores excel by breaking rules and policy, I have assisted in the training of my immediate manager hired from outside the company because of the aforementioned differences I have with my District Manager and helped set up a new store for another manager hired from the outside. A store in which I expressed an interest in running.

Many will read this and think that I was, perhaps, not qualified to run a store. My history as a store manager would prove otherwise.

If you work for this company, you are only as valuable as your last sale. The tides can turn for you in a Nee York minute. Enjoy it while it lasts, one wrong move and you will be gone. Have another option on the back burner...you will need it.

I left the company of my own free will to seek greener pastures. No job or company is perfect, but, this one is going the wrong way.

Mar 8, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for stopping by to share your experience. It’s clearly disappointing to us that you left with this impression of Sleep Number. As an eight-year employee, you no doubt had a variety experiences ... More

"good while it lasted"

Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Asheville, NC

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort (More than a year)

Pros

excellent product. excellent training program. benefits are above average. monthly contests with good prizes as incentive. not a real hard product to sell because most buyers have health issues.

Cons

very focused on frequent phone calls to previous owners. it borders on harassment. felt like a telemarketer. Bedding is very expensive and not always consistent in manufacturing. comes from China. Goals are unrealistic and difficult to consistently make. Had 4 managers in 2 years.

Jan 30, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. In particular, we want to express our concern that you had so many leadership changes within your time with us. That's definitely not ideal...nor ... More

"Browbeatings kill morale"

Current Employee - Sleep Professional in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sleep Professional in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Flexible hours, great work atmosphere

Cons

Constant hectoring from upper-level management to wring every last cent from existing customers without the slightest hint of concern for the income or workplace satisfaction of frontline employees.

Advice to Management

Spend vastly less time harping on your underlings to produce sales in accordance with your desired ranking among your fellow upper-level management cohort. Stop fluffing your bottom line at the expense of your sales force by imposing near-unachievable sales goals upon them in order to avoid paying bonuses. Stop increasing the daily workload on your sales force while slashing their incomes with purported "restructuring" of their compensation plans. Stop pinning the consequences of the unmitigated disaster of a software transition on people who had ZERO say in its implementation when they had performed their jobs satisfactorily prior to the transition. Honor the achievements of sales personnel that were accomplished prior to the implementation of disastrous "big ideas" that were stripped away by the failure of people who did not have to suffer the immediate consequences of their "big ideas". Stop pitting regions against regions, districts against districts, and stores against stores when you know damn well that the failure that have occurred over the past two years lie at the feet of people who had NO CONTROL over those failures.

Jan 23, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for taking the time to share what you like about working at Sleep Number and what frustrates you. We’re thrilled that you’re happy with your flexible hours and work environment, but your ... More

5. "Great Company and team leaders"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort (More than a year)

Pros

Great training and fairly easy sales process

Cons

Store can be slow but busy days time flys

Advice to Management

Keep your number up and product knowledge plus help management out

Jan 17, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for stopping by to leave your feedback. Glad you had a positive experience working for Sleep Number. -- Kellie

"Best In Retail"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The interview process was conducted very professionally. Their training program is very through. The Sleep Number technology is propriatery and only sold by Sleep Number, so that helps you sell.

Cons

They don't let you handle customers until you know the product, sales process, and POS inside and out. This is good in the long run, but plan on just making your hourly rate for a couple of months when you start.

Advice to Management

Please continue to be creative in coming up with ways for awesome salespeople in low volumn stores to win more contests. Others it starts to get discouraging.

Jan 17, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for stopping by to leave a review about your Sleep Number experience. Glad to hear you appreciate the training as well as our proprietary products. I've shared your feedback about sales ... More

"Money and product was great"

Former Employee - Sleep Professional in Medford, OR
    Former Employee - Sleep Professional in Medford, OR

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great money for a retail sales job. Incredible product that can truly change people's lives. Insane first time discount on personal bed purchase.

Cons

Company doesn't care about you. Zero recognition for success. Poor leadership on almost every level. Logistics and customer care after sale are a joke.

Advice to Management

Work as a cohesive team/company. Reward your top people with praise and recognition. Handing out the prize to the top 136 people in a contest rather than rewarding the top ten with badass prizes is lame and doesn't make anyone strive to be the best. Just to be pretty good instead of great. Please do something about how you train people. Your current training regiment is a joke. Thankfully I had a good coworker who was willing to take me under his wing and develop me. The managers kept getting fired and so I was left with a store to run by myself without any extra pay and very little direction. If you're going to make a customer service number the only way for customers to get help then don't make it such a crummy wait time with barely competent people on the other end that are so unwilling to help people that they mistreat customers on a regular basis or they just flat out lie to people to get them off the phone.

"call center"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort (More than a year)

Pros

Not much, you could wear jeans all week if you wanted.

Cons

Where to start. Very unprofessional. People wore tight leggings daily. Some people not friendly to anyone, it was not a good sight to see when you first start. I could tell people didn't like there jobs.
    They have a 7-point attendence (problem ) I saw excellent people get fired do to reaching 7 points. Points are given for late to work, late from break or lunch. Many people would have a very good reson to call in. Well when you start you have no PTO/SICK time and people would come in sicker than a dog and get others sick. Because I think it was 2 or 3 points if you took off and hsd no PTO to use--Even if you were in the hospital-no exceptions. This causing fear of job loss right out of the gate..No one especialy a parent needs that kind of stress. Sure doesn't make you want to go above and beyond for your new employer. Also people would do call backs or speak to co workers or supervisors during there breaks, they give no project time, thus causing late returns from lunches and breaks...And get this no clocks around with the exception of the fridge room. And the computer clock is not accurate per notice from the company. I have never seen a company waste investors money. I think they need to get rid of current call center management. And look at how to run a successful call center with little turn around. Many, many companies do it. Get this in spite of this my coworkers being nice on the phones and very helpful to customers...what they could have with MN. Nice)

Advice to Management

To CEO look at my notes and get rid of your call center management. My god to have customers wait over an hour on the phone...put your self in the customrrs shoes...what the heck.. Delivery is such a problem as well. I'm not sure why but what the company charges is crazy and a service call with no products and charge that as well yes The $179.99or more...a good product is not the company. You need to have NORMAL HOLD TIMES - and a reasonable charge for a service call. This could become a company, just don't focus on product only. Good Luck I really hope you listen to me and all the unhappy customers, and bring this company back to better values and good service.

Jan 25, 2017 – Employer Brand

Appreciate you leaving the review but are definitely sorry to hear your experience with us was so disappointing. We absolutely agree that it is unacceptable to make our customers wait in order ... More

"Dont work there"

Former Employee - Sales in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Sales in Spokane, WA

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort (More than 3 years)

Pros

Checks dont bounce not sure what other pros there are. Oh i guess the heat usually works. So your not cold.

Cons

You do well they give you a much bigger budget to make near impossible to make same money. Upper management does not care about you. They blame sales people for everything and love to micro manage. My family poonts out how much more relaxed i am since i left that company. There customer service is horrible and is there computer system.

Advice to Management

Get rid of any mangager regional or districrt who have never worked the sales floor. They have horrible negative management styles. Its shameful to treat employees the way sleep number does. Everyone is looking for another job at the store levels.

Jan 25, 2017 – Employer Brand

Sorry to hear you had a negative experience at Sleep Number. I know you've left the company, but I want to assure you that Andy and his leaders definitely care about our sales team. We're not ... More

10. "Sleep Professional"

Current Employee - Sales Professional in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in Eugene, OR

Pros

Sleep Number allows me to help folks sleep better, I really do believe in this product and the amazing sleep it allows. I personally own 6 of the Sleep Number beds in my home and travel trailer.. My parents also have one. I believe I will always have one.

Cons

My manager is not willing to give up much responsibility and actually frowns on us if we take on something she has not "blelssed" If we act on something when she is gone or on her day off, we didn't "partner" with her. If we don't do the task at hand, when she is gone, we are chastized for not taking action and getting it done, so she does not have to. Pretty crappy, but the way it rolls at our store. Our DM is amazing. Works hard and supports us in every way.

Advice to Management

Listen to the littke people. They are the window to the business.

Dec 1, 2016 – Employer Brand

Thanks for sharing your feedback – both the good (we love that you're personally a fan of our products) as well as your concerns (about your store manager). I shared your review with both the ... More

11. "Fast Paced Growth Company"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We are serious about becoming an international beloved brand with innovation and financial discipline

Cons

Hard for some to go from traditional business culture to CEO inspired simplicity and rapid change culture

Advice to Management

As a member of management we need to listen even better and help simplify work priorities

Dec 1, 2016 – Employer Brand

Thanks for your 10 years of service and for stopping by to share your experience! We're definitely in growth mode and you're right -- the pace of change isn't for everyone. So, thanks for being ... More