Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews | Glassdoor

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews

Updated March 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great product although bedding has gone way down hill in recent years (in 53 reviews)

• Sleep Number is a company that truly cares about improving lives through an amazing line of products (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • I was hired under the pretense of a better work life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't care that certain employees abuse discounts reserved for specific circumstances (in 40 reviews)

"Overall"

Former Employee - Sleep
    Former Employee - Sleep

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked the company and product we sold.

Cons

Hours but that's retail not just there. Call lists for promotions (essentially cold calls).

Advice to Management

Let the call centers do the phone lists and allow the store personnel to focus on their customers. Promote from within instead of always hiring from outside.

Jan 17, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review. Glad to hear you liked the company and product. We agree, hours within the retail industry can be a challenge and they aren't for everyone. As for ... More

"Current Employee"

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

They hire very talented people. The company is run fairly lean so there is opportunity to personally drive action.

Cons

Typical communication silos. Slower recent growth. Given lean structure, difficulty in having a direct career path.

Jan 25, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for stopping by to leave your feedback. Glad you feel like you can personally drive action here at Sleep Number. That's certainly been my experience, too! Agree that we have some ... More

"What happened to this company?"

Current Employee - Sleep Expert

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing product, wonderful staff, helping people feel and sleep better is a very rewarding feeling.

Cons

Lately, everything. I feel this company has lost exactly what has made it so wonderful. Our budgets our so high we get sick and stressed from the beginning of the month right on thru the very last day. Having to "hard sell" is causing customers to feel uncomfortable and not want to return, and I can't blame them. When a customer has an issue they are unable to get thru to customer service (wait times are insane), so they call us. We are usually unable to help them and 90% referring them right back to customer service, at that point they are so frustrated they want to cancel. I never get to see my family because I work retail hours, and at one point it was ok because I was making the money to go on a normal vacation and spend time with them. Now I don't make the money I once did, yet work twice as hard. When I do get off, I am so mentally exhausted I just end up resting up to gain the strength to go back to work. It really hurts to have to write this, I loved this company, this was not my job but my career. I am taking my vacation soon and with those days off I will be applying to other companies.

Advice to Management

You are going to lose some dedicated employees if you don't stop and address our concerns! We may be the little people, but we are your FRONT LINE. Hear us, but most of all LISTEN to us. We know the issues, we know our customers we know what works for them and for us. If you want those 5 keys you need to give us the proper tools as well. I am speaking for my colleges, my manager, my customers. We work very hard for this company, show us what we are worth.

Jan 17, 2017 – Employer Brand

It’s always disappointing to read reviews like this – especially because you love the product and find the work rewarding, but you’re facing some workplace challenges that are affecting your ... More

"Money and product was great"

Former Employee - Sleep Professional in Medford, OR
    Former Employee - Sleep Professional in Medford, OR

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great money for a retail sales job. Incredible product that can truly change people's lives. Insane first time discount on personal bed purchase.

Cons

Company doesn't care about you. Zero recognition for success. Poor leadership on almost every level. Logistics and customer care after sale are a joke.

Advice to Management

Work as a cohesive team/company. Reward your top people with praise and recognition. Handing out the prize to the top 136 people in a contest rather than rewarding the top ten with badass prizes is lame and doesn't make anyone strive to be the best. Just to be pretty good instead of great. Please do something about how you train people. Your current training regiment is a joke. Thankfully I had a good coworker who was willing to take me under his wing and develop me. The managers kept getting fired and so I was left with a store to run by myself without any extra pay and very little direction. If you're going to make a customer service number the only way for customers to get help then don't make it such a crummy wait time with barely competent people on the other end that are so unwilling to help people that they mistreat customers on a regular basis or they just flat out lie to people to get them off the phone.

"Dont work there"

Former Employee - Sales in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Sales in Spokane, WA

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort (More than 3 years)

Pros

Checks dont bounce not sure what other pros there are. Oh i guess the heat usually works. So your not cold.

Cons

You do well they give you a much bigger budget to make near impossible to make same money. Upper management does not care about you. They blame sales people for everything and love to micro manage. My family poonts out how much more relaxed i am since i left that company. There customer service is horrible and is there computer system.

Advice to Management

Get rid of any mangager regional or districrt who have never worked the sales floor. They have horrible negative management styles. Its shameful to treat employees the way sleep number does. Everyone is looking for another job at the store levels.

Jan 25, 2017 – Employer Brand

Sorry to hear you had a negative experience at Sleep Number. I know you've left the company, but I want to assure you that Andy and his leaders definitely care about our sales team. We're not ... More

"call center"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort (More than a year)

Pros

Not much, you could wear jeans all week if you wanted.

Cons

Where to start. Very unprofessional. People wore tight leggings daily. Some people not friendly to anyone, it was not a good sight to see when you first start. I could tell people didn't like there jobs.
    They have a 7-point attendence (problem ) I saw excellent people get fired do to reaching 7 points. Points are given for late to work, late from break or lunch. Many people would have a very good reson to call in. Well when you start you have no PTO/SICK time and people would come in sicker than a dog and get others sick. Because I think it was 2 or 3 points if you took off and hsd no PTO to use--Even if you were in the hospital-no exceptions. This causing fear of job loss right out of the gate..No one especialy a parent needs that kind of stress. Sure doesn't make you want to go above and beyond for your new employer. Also people would do call backs or speak to co workers or supervisors during there breaks, they give no project time, thus causing late returns from lunches and breaks...And get this no clocks around with the exception of the fridge room. And the computer clock is not accurate per notice from the company. I have never seen a company waste investors money. I think they need to get rid of current call center management. And look at how to run a successful call center with little turn around. Many, many companies do it. Get this in spite of this my coworkers being nice on the phones and very helpful to customers...what they could have with MN. Nice)

Advice to Management

To CEO look at my notes and get rid of your call center management. My god to have customers wait over an hour on the phone...put your self in the customrrs shoes...what the heck.. Delivery is such a problem as well. I'm not sure why but what the company charges is crazy and a service call with no products and charge that as well yes The $179.99or more...a good product is not the company. You need to have NORMAL HOLD TIMES - and a reasonable charge for a service call. This could become a company, just don't focus on product only. Good Luck I really hope you listen to me and all the unhappy customers, and bring this company back to better values and good service.

Jan 25, 2017 – Employer Brand

Appreciate you leaving the review but are definitely sorry to hear your experience with us was so disappointing. We absolutely agree that it is unacceptable to make our customers wait in order ... More

"Learn to appreciate your talent"

Current Employee - Sleep Expert

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At one point the commissions were great.....not so much now.

Cons

Never change to a computer system you haven't researched the pros and cons of. That was your first mistake. Second, changing the commission structure and telling us we won't receive any more merit increases.....really????

Advice to Management

Don't over work your people!!!! Believe in them!!! Give them drive passion to want to work with you!!

Jan 25, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for the feedback. We agree -- the transition to our new computer system was an incredibly challenging time for our company, team members and customers. We do believe in our people and their ... More

"Store goals are out of control"

Current Employee - Sales Person
    Current Employee - Sales Person

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

Great product! You have the best product on the market. It is exciting and cutting edge. It has the best warranty on the market.

Cons

Seems like goals are setting teams up for failure. The formula that was communicated by the regional manager is not being followed. When you goal a store higher and higher in a downward trend, you are creating an atmosphere of fear and anxiety. This philosophy is the antithesis of creating a beloved brand.

Advice to Management

When you increase goals by 20% from last year in a downward trend, it creates an atmosphere of fear and anxiety in the store. You need to own this!

Dec 1, 2016 – Employer Brand

It’s always hard to read reviews where it’s clear an employee loves and believes in our product but is facing a workplace challenge that’s affecting their engagement. That’s why I shared your ... More

10. "Sleep Professional"

Current Employee - Sales Professional in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in Eugene, OR

Pros

Sleep Number allows me to help folks sleep better, I really do believe in this product and the amazing sleep it allows. I personally own 6 of the Sleep Number beds in my home and travel trailer.. My parents also have one. I believe I will always have one.

Cons

My manager is not willing to give up much responsibility and actually frowns on us if we take on something she has not "blelssed" If we act on something when she is gone or on her day off, we didn't "partner" with her. If we don't do the task at hand, when she is gone, we are chastized for not taking action and getting it done, so she does not have to. Pretty crappy, but the way it rolls at our store. Our DM is amazing. Works hard and supports us in every way.

Advice to Management

Listen to the littke people. They are the window to the business.

Dec 1, 2016 – Employer Brand

Thanks for sharing your feedback – both the good (we love that you're personally a fan of our products) as well as your concerns (about your store manager). I shared your review with both the ... More

11. "Fast Paced Growth Company"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We are serious about becoming an international beloved brand with innovation and financial discipline

Cons

Hard for some to go from traditional business culture to CEO inspired simplicity and rapid change culture

Advice to Management

As a member of management we need to listen even better and help simplify work priorities

Dec 1, 2016 – Employer Brand

Thanks for your 10 years of service and for stopping by to share your experience! We're definitely in growth mode and you're right -- the pace of change isn't for everyone. So, thanks for being ... More