Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews | Glassdoor

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews

Updated February 14, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great product although bedding has gone way down hill in recent years (in 53 reviews)

• Sleep Number is a company that truly cares about improving lives through an amazing line of products (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Had a difficult time maintaining a work/life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't care that certain employees abuse discounts reserved for specific circumstances (in 41 reviews)

"POS system"

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort (More than a year)

Pros

Great and innovative products. Good incentives when marketing supports traffic.

Cons

New Siebel operating system is now almost one year old. It's still not working well. This weekend we had our biggest sale of the year the system was running about 1/2 speed that it should. System would kick us out during transactions. Then you couldn't log back in. It's great to take time showing customers the great products, but when it's time to complete the sale, customers want to have their order processed in a timely manner. It gives the appearance to customer that we don't know how to run the computer..One year is more than enough time to fix Siebel, fix or delete it.

Advice to Management

Invest in upgraded computer system, slowest system I have ever worked with in my retail career.

"Run the other way"

Current Employee - Sleep Expert in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sleep Expert in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My Co workers and the customers I help. The products are decent.

Cons

Where do I begin? I have been with Sleep Number for 5 years now. It is not the company it used to be. The goals are unattainable which makes for a very stressful work environment. These days, I feel mostly like a telemarketer on the phone with so much down time. I sometimes feel a sense of guilt selling the customers that do come in. The company tells us to listen to our customers and sell them what they need, but if you don't make your numbers, you will get written up....so push the customer to buy things that you know deep down won't benefit them. Promise delivery dates that most likely will not be met and when the customer calls you about not getting their bed, lie to them...bad business. Upper management uses fear to try to motivate sales pros. There is little communication from MSL.

Advice to Management

Get it together. Listen to your sales pros, we are in the store. Stop acting like everything is okay and address people's concerns instead of sweeping it under the rug.

"Sales"

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

Was once a great place to work

Cons

Unethical work environment. HR & management fails to follow their code of conduct. They make exceptions & excuses for trouble makers yet will terminate hard working & ethical staff.

District Manager plays favorites & is involved with a store manager in the district. She is constantly flirting with him in team enviroments, taking "walks" with him & covering for him when he is late or absent. However, she micro-manages everyone else & treats the rest of the staff differently.
    They have been seen together outside of work yet she gives the staff grief if they are friends with co-workers outside of work.

Poor management. Goals are based ony on last years performance & nothing else. They don't keep anything into consideration that might affect performance month to month. This is challenging as they decided to build more stores within a 15 mile radius but expect you to perform better than last year despite cannabalizing the market. Also, goal consideration is only given to the manager that she favors.

Expect for the District Manager to blow up your phone on your days off to talk to you about petty matters that could & should have waited until you're clocked in.

District Manager should not drink at work functions. She makes weird comments like saying she believes she's an old soul from another life time. She gets rather loud & makes comments about doing what she wants & asking for forgiveness ( from the corporate office) later. However, those kind of comments are made sober as well.

Expect to be held accountable for the company's shortcomings. With the implementation of Siebal as a new POS caused so many customer service issues that you'll know what this means if you do your research online. Everything the customer says from Oct 2015 to current is true. Imagine trying to do your job & working with a very slow system that causes you to lose sales. From the system glitching, to orders not placed, to home delivery not making scheduled deliveries despite confirmed scheduled date & time frame. This greatly affects your sales & your credibilty as a sales person & your District Manager & the company place this blame on you.

Customer service is a joke. The company does not keep in consideration of their elderly & disabled market. When they have an issue, customer service expects them to get on all fours & dis-assembled parts, etc. The company does not have anyone or a service that will send someone out to look at the bed & determine the problem. Instead, they will argue with the customer. The customer will then call the store front pissed & demand you fix it because they bought it from your location, in which your hands are tied because you in sales are not allowed to enter the customer's home.

Advice to Management

HR should play a more active role in keeping an eye on District Managers. There are too many cases of favoritism & it shows in the monthly plans & those written up to those not.
    Consider hiring from within when it comes to District Managers & up. Better to hire someone who is familiar with the SleepNumber culture than having someone once they are trained act like they have something to prove because they truly have poor management skills.

"Overall decent."

Former Employee - Sleep Professional in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Sleep Professional in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy sales process
    Inside all day
    40 hr work week

Cons

In house financing through synchrony is absolutely unpredictable. Approvals are scarce.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees more

"Sleep Expert"

Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Great training program and opportunity to make pretty good money with the commission added to the low hourly pay. Also beyond your personal goal they set for you every month there is the store goal which can add another 500.00 a month to your paycheck which helps promote the employees to work together to close each others customers.

Cons

Be prepared that the work schedule is not what is discussed in the interview process- plan to work every weekend every holiday.. You get Christmas and Easter but expected to work the day before or after every holiday. Also lots of blocked dates that you can not take off even with your paid vacation time. This job does not lend itself to a family life balance at all. Expected goals and work load get higher and higher every year and are unreasonable and very stressful if you have a family to provide for. Also your life can be hell at sleep number if your anyone of the coworkers don"t play by the rules and unfortunately most do not because of the pressure to make goals or need to get paid. If you are a person of integrity this is not the job you ant to invest your time or effort in. I thought a company of this stature would would better understand the needs of the people that sell there product not just train them to be robots that turn employees against each other to make the companies unrealistic ever rising goals. Huge turnovers.

Advice to Management

Not sure why upper management put so much time in educating and selling the product to the floors team only to burn out the very associates that sell the product to the customers. The company makes huge profits yet the don't invest in the people that educated the public on the need for the product. Sad.. because the floor professionals all loved selling the sleep number products but must can not handle the retail work hours, competitive environment or what it turns hard working people into.

"Sleep Professional"

Pros

The pay was decent as long as the sales were there, came with a nice base pay. Small team, sense of entrepreneurial work, amazing product. Commission rate was average but decent. The more you sold, the higher your commission tier got. Potential for all employees to bonus monthly, not just management.

Cons

Long hours, 3-4 person team means if one person calls in, you'll most likely forfeit your day off to fill in for them. Many days were 11-12 hour shifts. The product can be very intimidating to many customers and can be a difficult product to convince people to pay a premium price for. Had a difficult time maintaining a work/life balance. Depending on your location, you may go an entire 1-3 days without seeing a single customer/potential sale. Depending if you're at a low volume store and because of how the commission is structured, you may not see a substantial commission check for months at a time.

Advice to Management

Fix the 3 person matrix to fix the work/life balance issue, don't reprimand employees for not hitting their goals just because customers never came into the store to sell to.

Aug 19, 2016 – Employer Brand

Appreciate you taking the time to leave a review -- especially as a former employee. Always nice to hear people's enthusiasm for our products...and that you'd recommend Sleep Number to others. Thanks ... More

"Director VP General Manager"

Former Employee - Director Vice President General Manager in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Director Vice President General Manager in Edina, MN

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a bed at discounted price.

Cons

Organization structure ineffective, but nice and flat in some cases.

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort (More than 8 years)

Pros

You get very good at apologizing to customers for the subpar service that they have received. I have become a master at taking people's money, knowing full well if something goes wrong, the customer will not receive help quickly or efficiently.

Cons

Delivery department is falling apart. Siebel, our new software program is still slow. It crashed several times at our store on Labor Day. Our new Regional Director, who was promoted from HR, pulls numbers out of thin air. She clearly has never run a store, and it shows. The store managers in our region have found that she makes up numbers, and she does not like being called out when she does. She, as well as all of upper management, try to manage using scare tactics. The company will not promote anyone from within, unless they trust you to keep quiet. DM's and VP's encourage you to use your friends and family coupon on customers, which is a violation. They also encourage you to have events and to lie about the amount of money the event pulled in. Unfortunately, it is time for someone to take over this company and drain the swamp at the top. Shelly and her friends that she has put in place are doing major damage.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people from outside the company. I am tired of training every DM you throw my way. Fix Siebel now. Treat your employees with the respect they deserve.

Oct 14, 2016 – Human Capital

It is certainly disheartening to hear your review of your time at Sleep Number. As you are aware, we are hyper focused on evolving and enhancing our customer experience, including Home Delivery and ... More

"Fun job good product."

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For retail the pay is decent. Small staffs makes it easier to get a fair of customers. Flexible hours.

Cons

Lots of cons. Delivery is poor. Communication is not good. Disappointed customers are the norm customer service is not good. People get put hold and never come back. Beds aren't delivered on time. No advancement they do not promote an environment of promoting from within. They go outside the company and bring people in and out like a revolving door. Upper management is only concerned about themselves.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and take action. You ask for input but don't execute. Do something about the horrible POS system.

Oct 4, 2016 – Employer Brand

Thanks for sharing your candid feedback. We’re glad you thought the job was fun and like the products, but are definitely concerned about your list of cons. I spent some time talking with Chris, our ... More

"Great store management but a very corporate company in the sense of not being personable."

Current Employee - Sleep Professional in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Sleep Professional in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Caring Store and District management. Commission rates and hourly wages are competitive. Hours of operation are awesome for it being retail sales.

Cons

Consistent computer issues. Smaller staff in stores leaving you responsible to cover in emergencies. Typically not done when scheduled to be.

Advice to Management

Training is more valuable with the SM and hands on verses a computer. Scheduling and Technical support should be made available anytime of the day.

Sep 16, 2016 – Employer Brand

Glad you stopped by to leave a review and that you feel your store and district manager care about you. That’s always nice to hear! Sorry to hear, though, that you’re experiencing computer ... More