Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews | Glassdoor

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews

Updated September 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This is a great product, innovative company (in 61 reviews)

• Thanks to the support of several leaders, I made my way back to Sleep Number in a different role (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little work life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Ever changing priorities of upper management (in 45 reviews)

"So easy it's boring"

Current Employee - Sleep Professional in Santa Fe, NM
    Current Employee - Sleep Professional in Santa Fe, NM

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, easy sell, great teammates, competitive district, hearing that we're improving people's lives with our beds is nice. The beds literally sell themselves

Cons

Store is almost always dead. I sometimes go an entire 8 hour period without seeing one customer. Hard to make good commission. Home Delivery sucks so much. They almost always are the reason I lose the sale post transaction.

Advice to Management

Close up dead or dying stores.

"Sleep Expert"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Tampa, FL

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent training, proven sales methodologies that help sell beds.

Cons

Long hours, no days off on weekends or holidays, no balance for family life.

Advice to Management

Create a culture that embraces the importance of the sleepnumber culture balanced with your family culture.

Jun 7, 2017 – Employer Brand

Appreciate you stopping by to leave your feedback. And glad to hear you liked the training we offer as well as our selling process. (We think they're pretty great, too!) As for hours, we know... More

"My opinion has gotten worse"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Outstanding product! Some of the most comfortable mattresses available and they just keep getting better!

Cons

1. Don't even think of working here as a sales professional unless you are comfortable being a telemarketer in your down time. As part of your job you are required to harrass current owners to solicit more sales and referrals.
    2. Too much focus on overpriced "made in China" bedding. If you sell a $5,000 mattress without a minimum of 6 add-ons, you risk termination for not selling enough pillows ans sheets and overpriced protectors.
    3. Try positive reinforcement. Not everybody responds to constant brow beatings.
    4. Stop " restructuring" the payplan to make it look like salespeople are making more money. I know the higher base hourly makes it easier for you to recruit, but it's just wrong.
    5. Worst PTO-SICK accrual I've ever seen. After nearly 4 years of service I barely accumulate 2 weeks of combined sick-vacation time per year.
    6. Stop micro-managing. Nobody likes being constantly observed and corrected. You hire professional sales people. Let them sell.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on your shareholders, and start focusing on your sales people. If you take better care of your sales people, they'll take better care of your customer, and your shareholders we'll see great results.

May 9, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thank you for stopping by to share your thoughts about Sleep Number –appreciate your feedback and glad you love the product. That said, you raise a number of important concerns and I’d like to... More

"They Need To Value Their Employees More"

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

Small Work Environment
    Set Hours
    Nice Summer Events

Cons

Saturdays
    No Life Balance
    Horrible Parking
    Not Alot Of Supervisor Support

May 19, 2017 – Employer Brand

Appreciate you sharing feedback about your Sleep Number experience. You hit on a number of topics that are likely of interest to potential Customer Service representatives so I’m going to address... More

5. "Store manager"

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Sleep Number is the best company I have ever worked for. Upper management asks and listens to what you have to say. You get to improve people's lives and get compensated generously.

Cons

There is little work life balance

Apr 17, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for the five stars! Great to hear working for Sleep Number has been such a great experience for you. We agree that improving lives is one of the biggest pros of working here. That said, you... More

"Innovative Product Mediocre Company"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Innovative product that's fun to sell.
    Friendly co-workers who are fun to work with.

Cons

Manager is very nice but constantly interjects into other people's sales, which often turns customers off when manager's style is more aggressive.
    Hourly wage is miniscule, especially when coupled with miniscule commission. Commission also requires $15,000 in sales to trigger which is fine BUT that $15K is NOT included in commission calc.
    Both mgr and district mgr frequently mentioned comp in excess of $50K which is clearly unlikely in some locations.
    District mgr is typical Six Sigma blowhard who is more interested in how amazing they are and has clearly watched too many episodes of Glengarry Glen Ross. Unless you are rock star closer selling $1M simply demeans you and shows no interested in supporting you. Not an encouraging atmosphere to a new employee.
    SleepNumber positions itself as a "Technology company that just happens to make beds" but its POS and CRM software is woefully outdated and/or underutilized. For instance, inventory systems don't communicate with POS systems. The length of time it takes to process sales and especially exchanges can be excruciatingly long. Have seen mgr take twice as long to ring sale as they spent working with the customer and closing the sale.

Advice to Management

Don't call yourself a technology company - you don't qualify, not by a long shot. Someone needs to be an advocate for the employees, not just the bottom line. Some managers make better trainers than managers. Some district managers make better carnival barkers than district managers. Pay a higher base wage and include the $15K threshold in the payout calc. Study your markets and modify SBN process to work in those markets.

May 25, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for sharing your insights about your time with Sleep Number – we definitely value your feedback.

At Sleep Number, we have a variety of support resources available to all team... More

"Too Bad Really"

Former Employee - Senior Store Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Store Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort (More than 8 years)

Pros

Experience with daily operations of a business. Customer service.

Cons

False promises of growth within the company. Difference in management and over all culture and values from market to market.

May 3, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks so much for your input. Internal growth opportunities as well as values and culture within the NE region start with me, and they’re things I’ve championed since I became the Regional Vice... More

8. "Sales expert"

Current Employee - Sleep Expert in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sleep Expert in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

This is a great product, innovative company

Cons

Retail hours are difficult on family life

Apr 17, 2017 – Employer Brand

WOW -- love the five stars! We agree that we're an innovation company offering a great product, but of course it's always nice to hear that from our team members. Appreciate you working retail hours... More

9. "Performance driven career"

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

Get paid well if you can sell plus competitive base pay. Recognition for job well done. Awards trip at end of year for top performers. Nice bonus structure for managers. Company built an entire website for recognition/ contests/ and prizes.

Cons

Can be a lot to learn in the beginning for some individuals. A lot of computer work so it can be hard for some individuals to comprehend and learn a new system.

Advice to Management

Best job I've ever had

Apr 17, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for stopping by to share your thoughts and leave us five stars! Glad you feel good about the compensation, recognition and incentives. And definitely appreciate you mentioning the new... More

"Former Store Manager...Miss the money, not the company"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Commission and bouns is incredible, you can make a lot of money here, but it comes at a very high cost.

Cons

Extreme micromanaging even and especially if you are a manager. 12 hour days and over 60 hours a week. Don't expect to see your family and friends often, even if you have a "day off" they will find a reason to make you come in, and there are consequences if you don't. Definitely a churn and burn, they even admitted that the average retention rate for a manager is 15 months.

Advice to Management

Let employees forge their own path, if they are successful, encourage them to keep doing what they are doing.

Apr 17, 2017 – Employer Brand

Appreciate the time you spent with us and the lives you improved as part of Sleep Number.

The St. Louis market has been one of our most historically challenged market around results and customer... More