Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews | Glassdoor

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews

Updated September 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This is a great product, innovative company (in 61 reviews)

• Thanks to the support of several leaders, I made my way back to Sleep Number in a different role (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little work life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Ever changing priorities of upper management (in 45 reviews)

"Sleep Professional"

Current Employee - Sleep Professional
    Current Employee - Sleep Professional

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great commission potential if you get past that $15k mark and make your goal. Even better when the store makes goals.
    Helpful colleagues.

Cons

Micro petty management.
    Belittling management.
    No work life balance.
    Creativity not encouraged.
    Training takes at least 3 months before you start to see real money.
    Manager will not share schedules until the first week of new month, making it impossible to plan your life outside work.
    Small store is like working in a closet with everyone in your business . No space or privacy. You can't even interact with a customer without manager jumping in and making you look bad and untrained.
    Manager takes over sales, won't allow you to speak to your customers if they call back, and takes over,even changes your orders with the customers.
    Soul crushing enviorment.

Advice to Management

Respect your team's intelligence and abilities. Provide balance and encouragement. Don't undermine your employees progress.
    More inter store activity to get to know and share with other associates.
    Don't talk down to employees, but be positive with coaching and answers if asked.
    Maybe reginal trainings so training is consistent.
    Stop having employees come in for prolonged STMs on Sunday mornings at 8am. It's bad enough a weekend off is considered an exception.

May 19, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I’m glad you are seeing the opportunity with commission income and that your colleagues have been helpful. That is great to hear.

That said, I was... More

2. "Home delivery"

Current Employee - Home Delivery Driver in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Home Delivery Driver in Houston, TX

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co worker. They set you up to succeed and love the atmosphere. Best job I have had overall and look forward to coming to work every day I'm scheduled. It fun getting to interact with the customer and seeing how happy they are.

Cons

Low work hours. I Average 25-30 hours a week. So I recommend giving us more hours or boosting our pay to set back the hour situation. Another issue is the sales people promising the customer stuff that we can't install or take with us.

The manger says they will get better hour wise but I heard that for a year straight. With no change and they keep hiring new people so our hours keep going down. I don't understand why hire all these people when you can't get us 30 hours a week......

Advice to Management

Get us some more hours.. with out us you wouldn'tsucceeds. I was promise full time hours and I'm barely getting 25 hours a week.

Boost the pay or give us more hours.

Apr 4, 2017 – Employer Brand

Really appreciate you leaving a review about your Sleep Number experience. We hear from a lot of our home delivery technicians that their co-workers and making customers happy are the best parts of... More

"Good job but low hours when promised full time."

Current Employee - Home Delivery Technician
    Current Employee - Home Delivery Technician

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

Great Co workers and a really good fun job. Get to travel to new places good working atmosphere. Not to difficult to learn.

Cons

The main con working here would have to be the pay. It's not the highest paying job and on top of that they will hire you on as a FULL TIME delivery employee and then only work you for maybe 20 to 25 hours a week if your lucky. I haven't worked 36 hours a week since I've been here. I have even had a week where I only worked 8 hours the entire week and like I said I'm a "full time" employee so yeah the pay doesn't compensate for the lack of hours worked.

Advice to Management

Get your delivery techs more hours or raise the pay to make up for the lack of hours.

"Great pay, horrible upper management"

Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Sleep Expert in Columbia, SC

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved our store and our team. Really felt like we made a difference in customers lives. Worked three years with the company and achieved Sleep Expert. Pay was great! Product and customers were top notch. Benefits were great, profit sharing, vacation, and health insurance. Hours worked were great and conducive to family.

Cons

Upper management was horrible. The dm would visit and kill store morale every time. I don't understand negative reinforcement... just doesn't work!!! We are encouraged to take vacations, but if you miss your month... shame on you! The micro management was becoming a nightmare. Send numbers in each night, log calls, fill out activities, and call these horrible call list that never amount to sales. The breaking point was a qbr after back to back good months. I achieved record sales for our store and the message still ended up negative. I have to be happy at work... not worried about job security and the next dm visit. Using write ups are not motivating... when I missed a month the lack of pay in my commission was motivation enough.The dm would reprimand you in front of other employees and try to get you to give up dirt on your store manager and work colleagues. That amazes me because we are a above average store and that is part of their job is to spend time with the manager and go through paperwork. All the questions we were asked could be answered if the dm did the work. We had a solid team... and lost half of it due to poor management,and upper management.

Advice to Management

You hire great people. I loved the team I worked with. They were like family to me. We were all invested in helping each other and keeping our store rolling. If upper management treats them bad, no matter how good the money may be, they will leave! Stop the petty micro management. We are there to make money... you should focus on training of how to use the software we have to work solely off our leads, and use the self generated leads as secondary or for new hires.

Mar 29, 2017 – Employer Brand

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback and for all of the lives you improved during your three years with us.

We always love to hear what people enjoy about being part of our team – of... More

"MSL"

Current Employee - MSL in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - MSL in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sleep Number is by far one of the most rewarding, strategic, challenging, thoughtful and competitive companies I have had the privilege of working for! The store teams are talented, customer focused and driven to deliver excellence and our executive team is dedicated, professional, talented and compassionate. I am proud to be a part of this wonderful company!

Cons

I am having a difficult time finding a con as this companies pro active approach to making Sleep Number a beloved brand & place of employment has ensured that when we have had a area to improve we have done so in a thoughtful and humble manor!!

Advice to Management

Continue to lead us in the positive and constructive manor you have and thank you for your mentorship.

Mar 24, 2017 – Employer Brand

WOW -- thanks for the five stars! Really glad to hear you're having a good experience with Sleep Number. And we agree, the store teams ARE awesome. Thanks for your leadership and positive attitude... More

6. "It was a good experience. The hours and holidays can be difficult, but that is the retail work life."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn how to sell high end goods. The commission is decent and the employee discount is pretty good. I would get a new bed if you work there.

Cons

Management like everywhere is always coaching and can constantly change their sales philosophy depending on the new products released. Not any worse than a lot of other retail companies.

Apr 17, 2017 – Employer Brand

Ah yes, retail hours -- we know they aren't for everyone. Thanks for acknowledging that it's just part of the retail life. Appreciate the time you spent with us and all of the lives you improved as... More

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great product! for a good nites sleep.

Cons

Don't work in the Cincinnati area. They have delivery problems and as a sales
    representative, you lose lots of commission. The company is aware of the problem and uses temp help but at $13/$14 hour, they can't get people to show up. The company reschedules the delivery for 2 weeks later, but in the meantime the customer has gotten rid of their bed--sometimes 2 or 3 deliveries are rescheduled and not delivered. Until the company cares enough to fix the Cincinnati delivery problem, do not work in that area. It can goof you out of bonuses and money, big time!

Advice to Management

Get it together for delivery in the Cincinnati area--all the stores suffer--that is why I left.

Mar 29, 2017 – Employer Brand

We’re sorry to hear about your experience. I can assure you, our Home Delivery team takes its responsibility to customers and the sales team very seriously. They hold themselves to a very high... More

"Home Delivery Tech"

Current Employee - Home Delivery Tech in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Home Delivery Tech in Houston, TX

Pros

Company provides very good benefits along with a decent retirement plan. Very exciting job that allows you to meet different people when delivering to customers. Working for sleep number will teach and expose you to a better made mattress that is making history in the mattress business.

Cons

The only issue I have working at sleep number as a delivery tech is that the hours are not consistent. Before I got hired on 4 months ago I was told that I would average about 35 hours a week when work slows down. But when work slowed down I only got about 24 to 28 hours per week. I was ok with the hours for a while until I noticed that it was starting to become a consistent thing. I was still averaging 24 to 28 hours a week even when sleep number was having a big sale and delivery volume started to increase. All of the delivery techs I work with were not getting the hours they suppose to be working because they keep hiring people. They also hired a contract company instead of using their own full time guys. I knew then sleep number isn't concerned about how many hours full time techs get. Because the bottom line for sleep number is saving money even if it means cutting the hours of guys that delivers the product. Although sleep number provides a great sleeping experience for customers. They provide their delivery team with a horrible financial experience when it comes to making sure their employees are able to meet their financial needs. But rest assured upper management are benefitting greatly from the sweat and labor of the guys who make sure the great sleeping experience arrive at customers homes. I finally decided to start looking for better employment when I address this issue with my manger, and he told me he has a budget to keep. So in other words I'm not concerned if you cannot meet your financial needs. I got to save a billion dollar company money by keeping money out of your pocket. For those of you who are thinking about working as a delivery tech or delivery helper. Please think twice about working for sleep number, if you have a family and or other financial needs that you know you need to provide for yourself and family.

Advice to Management

My advice to upper management... Value the guys that delivers the sleeping experience to customers because without them, your great bed wouldn't make a difference if it can't get delivered. Make sure that the delivery techs get decent hours so that they can meet their financial needs. Sleep number is a very successful company with an excellent product that's making history in the mattress business. Spread some of the wealth to your delivery techs. Because if you don't you're going to lose some of your good workers who cares about their jobs and sleep number. And with social media, glass door and other Internet tools, this company will continue to get poor reviews from those who are being financially oppressed.

"Great people"

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

The people are amazing, and if you're on a team with a strong manager, you'll probably enjoy it. The beds are great!

Cons

Upper management makes decisions for shareholders more than employees or customer's.

Mar 24, 2017 – Employer Brand

Appreciate you stopping by to share your review. We hear from a lot of our team members that they love the people and the product -- glad that was the case for you as well.

When it comes to... More

"Draining"

Current Employee - Sleep Expert
    Current Employee - Sleep Expert

Pros

Good pay. I happen to have a very good store manager and district manager. Wonderful innovative products. Plenty of people complaining the sales goals, perhaps it varies per district, but I feel ours are high, but fair. Definitely not unattainable. Some of our competitors have much more unrealistic goals. The commission structure is very competitive. It's what's kept me here this long.

Cons

The draining. My kids are always sad now, I'm always at work. I miss most family events or can only show up for a short time. We are a small store, so only 3 people. This should not be the minimum. I was hired under the pretense of a better work life balance. It's awful. Please stop telling people that. I know some people will read it and say find a new job then. I am looking. The offers I have cannot meet the pay scale, but some can offer a much better schedule so I am looking I to them.

Advice to Management

Don't run your sales people so hard. I've worked sales a long time, never felt this used. I've had almost all of my vacation requests approved a month or more out, and then canceled days before. I work six days most of the time due to the poor three person store model. Note, this is not the store manager scheduling incorrectly. if my SM was bad at that, it would be way worse than it is. Please fix this. Also, look into ergonomics. The steal chairs are terrible, the computers under the glass is starting to cause a lot of neck aches for me. I get that it looks trendy and cool, going for a clean modern vibe, but there must be a better balance. The new phones are not the best. Pulls out pieces of my hair almost every time I use a portable phone. If these things were not an issue, I wouldn't be wanting to find a new job.

It's probably worth noting these comments are coming from a Sleep Expert who performs consistently and is in very good standing.

Mar 17, 2017 – Employer Brand

I shared your review with Kate – one of our sales RVPs. She wanted to respond by first thanking you for your years of service and all of the lives you’ve improved during your time with us.

Her... More