Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews | Glassdoor

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews

Updated February 14, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great product although bedding has gone way down hill in recent years (in 53 reviews)

• Sleep Number is a company that truly cares about improving lives through an amazing line of products (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Had a difficult time maintaining a work/life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't care that certain employees abuse discounts reserved for specific circumstances (in 41 reviews)

1. "Sales Prodessional"

Pros

The products they offer are unparalleled.

Cons

Too many changes to their computer system.

Sep 16, 2016 – Employer Brand

Thanks for your review -- and for five stars! We're delighted you feel so strongly about our innovative products. Please know we're working through our systems issues and appreciate our teams hanging ... More

"Great product, corporate decisions a bit iffy"

Pros

Fantastic products and sales staff. Great benefits and pay

Cons

Corporate decisions did hurt the image and revenue. IT and designers of online surveys need to be better.

Advice to Management

Listen to the store employees. They're the front lines and know what is going on. Don't just surround yourself with "yes" people.

"Sleep Expert"

Pros

Great team members, fun to be around. If it wouldn't be for my store manager i would have been gone already.

Cons

PTO Blackout, can't take vacation during this time. District Mangers should value their employees by making exeptions. When you get told you can not leave, even though a family member died and a family member got diagnosed with Cancer. No sympathy what so ever, all what counts is that you make their money. No humanity in this company.

Advice to Management

Everything in their favor. Remember we are all humans and no puppets. Don't just preach leadership, follow it to.

Oct 4, 2016 – Employer Brand

We appreciate you sharing your experience. Please know that we absolutely value and care about our employees. If you feel your request for time off was not handled fairly, please contact your Human ... More

"Best Job I Have Had"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy coming to work. It has little stress, great pay for the amount of time you put in. As a sales professional you work 37.5 hours a week (up to 40 sometimes) and as a manager you work 45 hours a week. If you are not making at least $45,000/year then you won't make it with us anyway.

The company hosts a lot of different contests throughout the year which is usually open to all employees. The prizes will range from free Sleep Number products to everyday household items that you would actually need/want. There is also the biggest incentive called President's Circle where you take a week vacation with the other top performers in the company.

Cons

Just like any job there are cons. At times it can feel as if you are helpless if you have a customer issue. It seems that our home delivery teams are not held to the same standards as our teams in the store. Customer service can seem like it is against us. I can say that even with all this it is still the best company I have ever worked for. I read some of the reviews on here and sadly it seems like some people got bad leaders. Don't let their reviews of their leader affect your perception of the company. You can go anywhere and have a terrible leader, however, you can't go anywhere and have an amazing company.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to have better communication with your sales leaders. You hire smart people so when you aren't communicating on all cylinders then we can see past that and it can be frustrating. Let store managers have more authority in the stores to help diffuse customer issues.

Aug 11, 2016 – Employer Brand

Appreciate the review! And definitely love hearing it's the best job you've had. Thanks for also leaving some feedback about the challenges you face -- we're working hard to address what's not ... More

"Delivery Technician do all the front line work with little pay."

Former Employee - Home Delivery/Technician in Auburn, WA
    Former Employee - Home Delivery/Technician in Auburn, WA

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product. The benefits and discounts for employees are good too.

Cons

As a delivery tech, you really don't get paid what you're worth. We went far and beyond the company's expectations to ensure customer satisfaction. Living up to promises that sells representatives gave some customers was challenging on a daily basis. We all had to work long hours and jump through a lot of hoops. After all that, we get passed up for bonuses. The company is very wasteful as well. I witnessed the disposal over about 10k in products being thrown away. Products which could have been sold cheap to employees or donated to a charity.

Advice to Management

Send an HR rep out to talk with Home Delivery Techs(without supervisor or FSM). Some of the Field service managers really have no clue how to take care of their workers. The Seattle market lost a lot of good guys due to poor management. As I said, the product itself is great, but the company needs to take a look at some of its practices.

Sep 16, 2016 – Employer Brand

Appreciate the review – even the tough feedback. We care about our HD team and want to know about the challenges you face. Some of your feedback is difficult to respond to in this forum. So, if you ... More

"A Rewarding Career!"

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

Pros

Great place to work. Employee friendly environment and company culture unlike any other. A clear mission and vision that drives the decisions from the top down.

Cons

None. An absolutely great option for anyone seeking a rewarding and fulfilling career.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Aug 11, 2016 – Employer Brand

Appreciate the review! And love that you called out our clear mission and vision. Thanks for making a difference in the lives of our customers!

"Not a good place to work"

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

Employees can make good wages, easy job, commissions sales.

Cons

Good ole boy club, women are treated poorly. No ethics, people are fired without cause. Multiple lawsuits at all time from employees who have been termed without cause and/ or treated badly.

Sep 16, 2016 – Employer Brand

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review. While it’s difficult to hear this kind of feedback, we know that without this channel we’d be missing chances to understand people’s challenges and ... More

"Store sales manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort (More than 10 years)

Pros

Really Great innovative product and the only Smart Bed.

Cons

Can't take vacation without missing your monthly bonus. No holiday bonus. Company constantly changing. This can make the job very stressful.

Advice to Management

Keep the advertising flowing.

Aug 18, 2016 – Employer Brand

Appreciate you taking the time to leave your review! And glad you consider our product innovative and advertising helpful. That's great. On the other hand, definitely concerned you feel you can't ... More

10. "MSL"

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Sleep Number is a company that truly cares about improving lives through an amazing line of products. Great culture, with many opportunities to grow. Outstanding leadership.

Cons

I really cannot think of any. I am proud to be a part of this wonderful team. This is company that cares about its employees.

Advice to Management

I would ask that you continue to reach out to your employees on what is important to them and what improvements could be made to simplify their process.

Aug 11, 2016 – Employer Brand

Thanks for this review! You're right -- we're absolutely dedicated to our mission of improving lives. Glad you're proud to be part of the team!

11. "Hidden Gem in Retail!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Not a traditional retailer. Evolving to have huge focus on technology and wellness. Exciting to see the changes that come with an evolving business. Company is in rapid growth mode. Great time to join the organization and really see exciting change. Small enough size to where you can make an impact and make changes quickly.
    - Mission driven: surprised me but you really do get excited about the product and impact it can have on people's lives. Cool to work for a company that's doing things SO differently.
    - Flexible work environment - given independence to get your work done and those who perform are recognized/rewarded. How you do your work seems more important that where/when.
    - Employee discount is amazing!
    - Home office/Corporate is wonderful facility. Onsite fitness center, good cafeteria, free parking, etc.

Cons

- Product and industry are constantly evolving. Direction can change really quickly. Sometimes feels like leadership isn't necessarily aligned on priorities. Part of retail in general is that the pace of change is extremely rapid, but feels like some decisions could be more strategic.
    - Technology and product are progressive, but still find some "old school" mentality on things. Once in a while you'll find a "we've always done it this way" mentality, but I wouldn't say it's any more/less than other corporate settings.

Advice to Management

Being at the corporate office, I feel very connected to the overall strategy/brand. When speaking with people in the field, I get the sense that they aren't always informed about the overall vision or strategy. The flash communications and rally's are great ways for people to stay informed - would encourage the leadership to continue to BE TRANSPARENT in those communications. Speak candidly whenever possible to "demystify" things and increase engagement across all levels.
    - Need to continue attracting/retaining your employees who are going to embrace change. Managers need to be people leaders in addition to those strategic thinkers.

Aug 11, 2016 – Employer Brand

Thanks for the review! Glad to hear you're excited about our transformation and our focus on technology and wellness. Also appreciate you sharing your feedback about the pace of change, the need for ... More