Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews | Glassdoor

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews

Updated July 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This is a great product, innovative company (in 60 reviews)

• Thanks to the support of several leaders, I made my way back to Sleep Number in a different role (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little work life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't care that certain employees abuse discounts reserved for specific circumstances (in 43 reviews)

1. "sleep number sales associates"

Current Employee - Sleep Expert in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sleep Expert in Boston, MA

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

physically easy job great for students as they offer tuition fee plus great hourly rates plus commissions

Cons

working weekends,high goals at times , frustrating if you don't sell

Advice to Management

Increase hourly wages

Jun 2, 2016 – Catherine from Human Capital

The tuition reimbursement program is one of our most popular benefits; I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it! Thanks for taking the time to post your review.

"Home delivery, Not the best managed company I have worked for but seems to be the norm in the last 8 years."

Current Employee - Home Delivery in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Home Delivery in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on the market, you don't have a supervisor breathing down your neck and can do the job without too much scrutiny as long as you are honest, but be aware that you are always being tracked electronically. Just do the right thing and no problems.

Cons

Don't plan anything personal on days you work, you cannot be sure to be done working by a certain time and if you request it you will be told you have to take the whole day off if you need to have an accommodation. You also will have no idea what you will be expected to do each day until late in the day before. You can only expect to work between 4 and 14 hours on the days you work. You can expect your delivery route to not make any sense, the scheduling system that the company uses does not group deliveries by location so they waste a lot of time and fuel by sending 2 men 2 to 3 hours away to the same area several days in a row. This has been my biggest frustration with the company, I hate waste even when I get paid more, it just isn't the smart way to run a business. I have brought up my ideas for being more efficient and have been told "we can't do that" or "our system doesn't do that but it will get better" for over 2 years. It has only gotten worse with the implementation of the new ERP which did not work and still doesn't after 7 months. It would appear that no one in the company actually reviews what has been sold and what would be logistically efficient in setting delivery schedules to be the most efficient. Recently the scheduling of deliveries has been delegated to the sales staff, it is in their best interest to schedule delivery asap without regard to efficiency.
    The job itself is not that difficult if you can carry heavy objects and are good with people. You can also expect to work with temporary labor employees many times per year, some are OK but many are temp workers for a reason and down right embarrassing to work with.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people on the front lines dealing with our customers, maybe they know something and are not just low level labor. You have a loyal customer base but shot yourself in the foot with the ERP. The front line employees and customers deserve better. Upper management appears to be top heavy and continues to bring in people from outside the company when there may be qualified people within the company. (They may not want to live in Minnesota though)

Jun 3, 2016 – Catherine from Human Capital

We appreciate your feedback – we’re always looking for ways to optimize our routes to deliver a great customer experience…and ensure it’s a good experience for our employees, too. So, we just sent... More

"Make sure you have a life insurance policy."

Former Employee - HOME DELIVERY/INSTALLATION TECHNICIAN in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - HOME DELIVERY/INSTALLATION TECHNICIAN in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

14 Dollars an hour is a lot more than you'll get paid to be a security guard, or a warehouse worker.

Cons

Don't listen to anything the hiring guy tells you. You will be expected to work 14 plus hours a day, 5 days a week for months at a time. Your boss will call you and tell you to manipulate your time clock to conform to DOT regulations. Your boss will use this as an excuse to fire you whenever he feels like it. Record all of your conversations with your supervisor.

Advice to Management

Spend a week every year helping an HD tech.

Jun 1, 2016 – Catherine from Human Capital

Protecting our employees’ safety is a responsibility Sleep Number takes very seriously. As such, we have a strong commitment to all safety, compliance and Department of Transportation (DOT... More

"The best Mattress company in the world!"

Current Employee - Sleep Professional in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Sleep Professional in Towson, MD

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working for a company whose products impacts many people's lives.

Cons

Lack of communication, lack of leadership and guidance, hours, and unethical practices.

Advice to Management

Many people need your product, and it's important to invest more time into the Leaders of each store. The new Managers need to be guided properly. The system and process is a little more complex than other companies. The key is to find a strategic way to get all new employees trained and conditioned before they get thrown on the floor. I am very proficient with the new system, but it needs to be simplified for the new employees. There is a lot of money out there that awaits us, and we need people who are team players, and great leaders.

Apr 13, 2016 – Catherine from Human Capital

If you ask any of our employees, many would agree with you that working for a company that directly impacts people's lives is rewarding beyond measure. The new system has changed how we work all... More

"This job is temporary employment for most."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Provo, UT

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Store Managers and most salespeople are awesome. Decent pay occasionally.

Cons

It's all about the mighty dollar. They claim to really care about their employees. They have yearly "confidential" surveys that are not confidential. Every DM gets the results by store and with 4 employees per store it doesn't take long to figure out where the discontent is, then you are simply managed out. Employees are numbers not people with families and bills. DM's set your goals and it is all about favoritism. Some stores may get a goal of 5% over last year and a store 10 miles away may get a goal of 40%. If your the DM doesn't like the manager he will be gone in 3 months. Benefits are terrible. Vacation is generous but you can't take them during promotions, which are a constant. Terrible Customer Service. Terrible sexist CEO. Wanna move up? You have 10x better odds if you have breasts.

Advice to Management

If you cared 1/2 as much about the people that make your company successful on the front lines as you do about the almighty dollar your sales would skyrocket. Its hard to be motivated when you realize if you have a lousy month for no fault of your own you will be fired. Cut Shelly Ibachs pay down from 5+ million a year and spread those almighty dollars to the people that earn them.

Apr 29, 2016 – Catherine from Human Capital

Sorry you feel the results of our annual engagement survey aren’t confidential – they definitely are. In fact, we can assure you that we don’t report survey results for fewer than seven people – the... More

"Managers with no advancement"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Great pay, easy job, great product

Cons

No advancement opportunities for managers

Advice to Management

Quit hiring from the outside and promote from within!!!

Apr 4, 2016 – Human Capital

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback! We consistently see feedback from all areas of the business praising our life-changing product. In a purpose-driven company like Sleep Number... More

"Great Product - Great Purpose"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sleep Number has genuinely built a corporate culture of innovation with a highly collaborative internal communication approach. The cross-functional communication style provides employees exposure to all areas of the business, its goals/initiatives and challenges its faced with. By breaking down silos, employees feel more a part of the overall organization not just their department and day to day responsibilities.

Cons

Politely speaking, management displays less of a focus on development opportunities for the individuals on their teams and more the tasks in front of themselves.

Advice to Management

Hold managers more accountable to conducting one-on-ones which focus around strengths and opportunities. Confidently providing accurate constructive criticism will result in employee development/engagement and increased production for the overall team. If you feel your employee has plateaued, have the difficult discussion.

Mar 22, 2016 – Human Capital

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review. I also love the cross-functional culture that we have here at Sleep Number!. I completely agree that we need to focus on coaching and... More

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Sleep Professional in Rapid City, SD
    Current Employee - Sleep Professional in Rapid City, SD

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Recruiters really put together awesome talent and hire people who genuinely care about helping people. Great sales process, very streamlined and easy to understand the whys behind it. Great support from other teams in the district, amazing managers.

Cons

Sometimes it's hard to get a certain day off with having 3 employees in a store but that is few and far between because every team member genuinely helps the others.

Advice to Management

Keep finding top talent.

Mar 15, 2016 – Human Capital

Wonderful to hear that you are enjoying working with our top talent here at Sleep Number. I don't doubt that they feel the same about you! Thanks so much for posting your review.

9. "Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful product, great company values, fair compensation

Cons

having to work in a mall

Advice to Management

Keep the best ones!

Mar 17, 2016 – Human Capital

Wow- 8 years! We are so happy to have talent like you. Thank you for your review!

"WAS A GREAT COMPANY"

Current Employee - Senior Material Planner/Buyer in Lexington, SC
    Current Employee - Senior Material Planner/Buyer in Lexington, SC

Pros

For most people this is a great job if you are not looking at advancing or looking for a diverse company.

Cons

90% of management is not diverse.

Advice to Management

None unless you are part of the old boys club.

Mar 22, 2016 – Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your perspective. We are dedicated to hiring top talent like yourself, from all walks of life. This year we have an increased focus on providing tools for career and leadership... More