Sleep Train Mattress Centers Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Sleep Train Mattress Centers Chief Executive Officer Ken Murphy
Ken Murphy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • In the pay is great and you have a great opportunity for advancement (in 11 reviews)

• We have a great training program as well as huge opportunities for growth (in 19 reviews)

1. "Sales Professional"

I worked at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time

Pros

Great sales training and support.

Cons

Non family oriented with high expectations.

Advice to Management

Keep sales team like a family

2. "Goodnight Sleep Train, Goodmorning Mattress Firm"

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay! I mean GREAT pay! Who would have thought selling mattresses can pay so well. If you don't mind the looooong hours and working weekends, then this could be a great career opportunity. My particular district is like a family, everyone helps everyone, especially during this transition into converting our stores into Mattress Firm.

Cons

Feels like we are going away from the personalized experience for not only our guest but for the employees. I get it, business is business and it's better to drown out the competition by becoming the largest mattress retailer and taking over. However when companies become too big they lose sense of value to the consumer. Especially for a specialty retail store, we used to thrive and do very well, hopefully we still will, and only time will tell if this conversion over to Mattress Firm will work. I myself am committed to making this work, however there is a lot of negativity floating around the Front Line. That's the back bone of the company. Without them on your side it will not succeed.

Advice to Management

Don't become the Walmart of mattresses. Keep it personable for our guest. Keep / go back to the way we had it on the west coast. Even with the name change on our buildings Keep the sleep train values alive, because what may work in Texas don't work here. We had a great culture with sleep train, don't drown it out with something that will cause people to want to leave. You have a lot of great front line members that want this company to succeed. Don't forget to let them know your on their side, if you really are.. like I said I understand business is business. Also enough with the poor quality value zone beds. Make mends with tempur/sealy and keep them around. Give us a reason to be proud of where we work, and be proud with the product we sell like we were when the sleep train name was on our buildings.

"Struggling to stay relevant"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The majority of front line employees (sales associates and store managers) are on the same wave length and mesh well, the fire that forges us gives us strength.

Cons

The pay is not commensurate, extremely high turnover rate, overpriced benefits, no work life balance, low employee moral, The backbone of the company it's veteran employees are running out the door once they realize moving up almost always means moving out, not just regionally but more often then not out of state.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees the wages they were getting 5 years ago.

4. "Career Bound"

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Rocklin, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Rocklin, CA

I have been working at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great People
    Fantastic $$$
    Plenty of upward growth opportunity
    Busy company - Wont get bored
    Large company can move anywhere in the US pretty much

Cons

Long hours if your are in sales or deliver
    Health benefit cost are a bit high

Advice to Management

Put your people first and you will succeed

5. "Mattress Firm/ Sleep Train"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Always hiring sales people and warehouse people. Paid training, benefits 401K, Medical, Dental, Vision after 90 days probation. Hourly or commission or combination of both, which ever is greater. .ON going training every month, Able to purchase many products at lower cost. .

Cons

Work long hours some weeks. Some days are 10 to 12 hour days. Don't get paid overtime. Depending where you are placed you may work by yourself for 3 days and then work every weekend and holidays except Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Apr 17, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Human Capital

Thank you for taking a few minutes to leave a review of your time at Sleep Train and now Mattress Firm. We are dedicated to providing our team members more flexible options when it comes to their... More

"Going the way of Macys"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Salem, OR

Pros

Decent pay for what we do.
    Not a manual labor job.
    Benefits while not the greatest are offered.
    Company training is actually pretty good as well.

Cons

Got bought out be Mattress Firm
    Non competitive business model
    Doesn't seem to care about keeping employees anymore
    50 work weeks standard
    Benefits continue to decline, employee functions have been reduced to almost nothing(holiday party, company picnic, general employee appreciation events are basically gone)

Advice to Management

Look around. Your structure and model is more like macys than a specialty store. They are closing stores left and right.
    One size fits all doesnt work. What works in Texas doesnt work in the PNW or the East coast.
    Bring back a reason to work 60 hour weeks

7. "Manager on duty"

Former Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good training and basic pay.

Cons

if you don't make the numbers you are out...
    Lots of over hyped self-importance for basically a mediocre company. The bigger it grows the further from its original customer oriented practices it gets, focusing only on becoming the biggest mattress company in the US.

Advice to Management

listen to the front line.

Nov 16, 2016 – Senior Vice President, Human Capital

Thank you for taking a few minutes to leave your thoughts - I appreciate your feedback!

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Eugene, OR

Pros

It's an easy job with lots of downtime that you can use to do other things. If you are lucky enough to not be in the Portland Metro area you will most likely be left alone.

Cons

Crap hours. Crap pay. Crap upper management. The benefits are increasingly getting worse every year. No incentives to go above and beyond.

Advice to Management

Hold all people to the same standards and do what you say you are going to do. Take care of thr people you have and you wouldn't have to be constantly look for new people.

Nov 15, 2016 – Senior Vice President, Human Capital

Thank you for taking a few minutes to leave your review. I am disheartened to hear your thoughts on some aspects of the Mattress Firm employment experience. If you would like to provide any... More

9. "Manager on duty"

Pros

Fairly easy if you can sell.

Cons

It is a sales job so stressful to keep hit goals.

Advice to Management

lower some of the goals

10. "Former employee"

Pros

Good people good fun outside the store

Cons

Horrible hours if you work alone. Too many bosses. Not enough business to share amongst neighboring stores I.e. Mattress disc./newly remodeled Sleeptrain

Advice to Management

Give the good people who just start more time to blossom.

Oct 14, 2016 – Senior Vice President, Human Capital

Thank you for leaving a review - I appreciate your feedback!