Sleep Train Mattress Centers Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sleep Train Mattress Centers Chief Executive Officer Ken Murphy
Ken Murphy

Pros
  • In the pay is great and you have a great opportunity for advancement (in 11 reviews)

• We have a great training program as well as huge opportunities for growth (in 19 reviews)

Cons

1. "Goodnight Sleep Train, Goodmorning Mattress Firm"

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay! I mean GREAT pay! Who would have thought selling mattresses can pay so well. If you don't mind the looooong hours and working weekends, then this could be a great career opportunity. My particular district is like a family, everyone helps everyone, especially during this transition into converting our stores into Mattress Firm.

Cons

Feels like we are going away from the personalized experience for not only our guest but for the employees. I get it, business is business and it's better to drown out the competition by becoming the largest mattress retailer and taking over. However when companies become too big they lose sense of value to the consumer. Especially for a specialty retail store, we used to thrive and do very well, hopefully we still will, and only time will tell if this conversion over to Mattress Firm will work. I myself am committed to making this work, however there is a lot of negativity floating around the Front Line. That's the back bone of the company. Without them on your side it will not succeed.

Advice to Management

Don't become the Walmart of mattresses. Keep it personable for our guest. Keep / go back to the way we had it on the west coast. Even with the name change on our buildings Keep the sleep train values alive, because what may work in Texas don't work here. We had a great culture with sleep train, don't drown it out with something that will cause people to want to leave. You have a lot of great front line members that want this company to succeed. Don't forget to let them know your on their side, if you really are.. like I said I understand business is business. Also enough with the poor quality value zone beds. Make mends with tempur/sealy and keep them around. Give us a reason to be proud of where we work, and be proud with the product we sell like we were when the sleep train name was on our buildings.

2. "Career Bound"

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Rocklin, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Rocklin, CA

I have been working at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great People
    Fantastic $$$
    Plenty of upward growth opportunity
    Busy company - Wont get bored
    Large company can move anywhere in the US pretty much

Cons

Long hours if your are in sales or deliver
    Health benefit cost are a bit high

Advice to Management

Put your people first and you will succeed

"Struggling to stay relevant"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The majority of front line employees (sales associates and store managers) are on the same wave length and mesh well, the fire that forges us gives us strength.

Cons

The pay is not commensurate, extremely high turnover rate, overpriced benefits, no work life balance, low employee moral, The backbone of the company it's veteran employees are running out the door once they realize moving up almost always means moving out, not just regionally but more often then not out of state.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees the wages they were getting 5 years ago.

5. "Mattress Firm/ Sleep Train"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Always hiring sales people and warehouse people. Paid training, benefits 401K, Medical, Dental, Vision after 90 days probation. Hourly or commission or combination of both, which ever is greater. .ON going training every month, Able to purchase many products at lower cost. .

Cons

Work long hours some weeks. Some days are 10 to 12 hour days. Don't get paid overtime. Depending where you are placed you may work by yourself for 3 days and then work every weekend and holidays except Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Apr 17, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Human Capital

Thank you for taking a few minutes to leave a review of your time at Sleep Train and now Mattress Firm. We are dedicated to providing our team members more flexible options when it comes to their ... More

"Going the way of Macys"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Salem, OR

Pros

Decent pay for what we do.
    Not a manual labor job.
    Benefits while not the greatest are offered.
    Company training is actually pretty good as well.

Cons

Got bought out be Mattress Firm
    Non competitive business model
    Doesn't seem to care about keeping employees anymore
    50 work weeks standard
    Benefits continue to decline, employee functions have been reduced to almost nothing(holiday party, company picnic, general employee appreciation events are basically gone)

Advice to Management

Look around. Your structure and model is more like macys than a specialty store. They are closing stores left and right.
    One size fits all doesnt work. What works in Texas doesnt work in the PNW or the East coast.
    Bring back a reason to work 60 hour weeks

7. "Manager on duty"

Former Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good training and basic pay.

Cons

if you don't make the numbers you are out...
    Lots of over hyped self-importance for basically a mediocre company. The bigger it grows the further from its original customer oriented practices it gets, focusing only on becoming the biggest mattress company in the US.

Advice to Management

listen to the front line.

Nov 16, 2016 – Senior Vice President, Human Capital

Thank you for taking a few minutes to leave your thoughts - I appreciate your feedback!

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Eugene, OR

Pros

It's an easy job with lots of downtime that you can use to do other things. If you are lucky enough to not be in the Portland Metro area you will most likely be left alone.

Cons

Crap hours. Crap pay. Crap upper management. The benefits are increasingly getting worse every year. No incentives to go above and beyond.

Advice to Management

Hold all people to the same standards and do what you say you are going to do. Take care of thr people you have and you wouldn't have to be constantly look for new people.

Nov 15, 2016 – Senior Vice President, Human Capital

Thank you for taking a few minutes to leave your review. I am disheartened to hear your thoughts on some aspects of the Mattress Firm employment experience. If you would like to provide any ... More

"Manager On Duty"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Sleep Train Mattress Centers (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent training program, good co-worker. Very good environment to work in, a lot of advancement and opportunities

Cons

Long hours, but this is a retail job so it is pretty much the same everywhere else.

Advice to Management

None

Aug 26, 2016 – Senior Vice President, Human Capital

Thanks for leaving a review! We are happy to have you as part of the MFRM Family.

"I'd give a zero star if I could."

Former Employee - Nevada in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Nevada in Reno, NV

Pros

Would be that the front end employees are awesome. Management and HR suck!

Cons

People choose to sell rectangles for a stress free work environment, if people wanted to join the military and be in a stressful work environment they would! My biggest issue was with my DSL. He is extremely unmotivating and acts like a wanna be detective. He is the Reno DSL. Instead of uplifting his staff and praising them for all of their hard work he scrutinizes everything they do and writes them up for things that are a complete joke, like finger prints on the window, very petty. Excuse me but isn't this sales? How about a praise for being top performer in your district for 8 years! Oh I'm sorry I didn't feel like putting my hand in the toilet with a stupid pumas stone right before I give my guest a two hour presentation. I didn't know I signed up to be janitor of the year. How about sales manager of the year. He got off on trying to make up incidents that went even incidents. He loved to create issues. Wanna be Detective. He is in the wrong field. He is supposed to lead by example and lift his staff up not hold and push them down. He screws with the best of the best sales managers and sales people. Don't worry NOBODY WANTS HIS JOB! They all cannot wait to quit because he has serious issues, and no one wants to be treated poorly at work especially when they work so hard.

Advice to Management

Your Reno DSL manipulates you and makes you guys look like fools for not knowing how bad he harasses the employees and loves it. He has gained and charmed your trust, but thinks that you do not know what he does when he enters the stores. I'd be very worried having an employee like him running your Reno district. He is a huge liability. Really really good employee have dropped off like Flys and they go work for the competitors and hurt your business.

Oct 4, 2016 – Senior Vice President, Human Capital

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts, as I value your feedback regarding your experience in Reno. I wish you the best in your next career investment.

"NOT WORTH IT!"

Former Employee - Store Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Sleep Train Mattress Centers (More than 10 years)

Pros

Better than working for minimum wage at some other dump if you can actually talk to people you do not know.

Cons

Everything else. The hours are awful, the management is horrendous at every level. Middle managers exist only to justify their own positions. They routinely cover for each other and hide wrongdoing from the upper management. Upper management says all the right things but when push comes to shove, they do the exact same thing. Sweeping wrongdoing under the rug and covering for each other. "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

I am sure they are breaking labor laws but no one there has enough time or money to hire an attorney to figure it out. You are not paid at all unless you sell something. So if you pull a 10 or 11 hour shift and don't sell anything, guess what? You get ZERO! When you do sell something, they give you a paltry 12% of the profit.

If a customer uses financing, they take it out of YOUR commission, even though it takes a lot more effort to process and get approval for financing than it does to swipe a credit card. So, you work much more, and make much less for something completely out of your control.

You are not allowed to take any breaks -- even when you work well over 8 hours. If you are caught taking a break they retaliate and punish you by putting you in a slower store where you can't make any money.

They use typical mattress retailer BS marketing, replete with phony sales, pressure tactics, over promising on products and services, and inserting bad policies in fine print so customers get screwed over if they don't know enough to ask the right questions. Even if they do ask the right questions, salespeople are trained to lie or deflect the question to something else. Totally sleazy!

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves. You are not celebrities. The employees do not respect you at all. They only pretend to because they know it feeds your fragile egos and they hope that by sucking up you will give them something in return. I know you like the sucking up part but don't you feel dirty?