Sleep Train Mattress Centers Sales Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sleep Train Mattress Centers Chief Executive Officer Ken Murphy
Ken Murphy
1 Rating

Pros
  • In the pay is great and you have a great opportunity for advancement (in 11 reviews)

• We have a great training program as well as huge opportunities for growth (in 19 reviews)

Cons

1. "Mattress Firm/ Sleep Train"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Always hiring sales people and warehouse people. Paid training, benefits 401K, Medical, Dental, Vision after 90 days probation. Hourly or commission or combination of both, which ever is greater. .ON going training every month, Able to purchase many products at lower cost. .

Cons

Work long hours some weeks. Some days are 10 to 12 hour days. Don't get paid overtime. Depending where you are placed you may work by yourself for 3 days and then work every weekend and holidays except Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Apr 17, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Human Capital

Thank you for taking a few minutes to leave a review of your time at Sleep Train and now Mattress Firm. We are dedicated to providing our team members more flexible options when it comes to their ... More

"Struggling to stay relevant"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The majority of front line employees (sales associates and store managers) are on the same wave length and mesh well, the fire that forges us gives us strength.

Cons

The pay is not commensurate, extremely high turnover rate, overpriced benefits, no work life balance, low employee moral, The backbone of the company it's veteran employees are running out the door once they realize moving up almost always means moving out, not just regionally but more often then not out of state.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees the wages they were getting 5 years ago.

3. "Sleep train made me push myself to do what I believed would make me a better sales associate."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Commission based pay is completely a rollercoaster. Be prepared for not knowing what could be on your next check which sometimes could be a serious issue. Overall, it has given me more money in my life and has given many opportunities to continue to grow in the company.

Cons

Learning new things everyday, adapting to new people and environments, and being apart of a team. Always be prepared for competition!

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of information about the mattress industry and paid sales training.

Cons

Expectation to pressure sell and do whatever it takes to close the sale, no work life balance, sub-par management, terrible benefits. This is a retail job that claims it is more but unfortunately it is not.

Jul 20, 2016 – Senior Vice President, Human Capital

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We set out to create an employment experience that is "more" and I am saddened to hear that your experience with Sleep Train/MFRM did not meet ... More

"Not the same company anymore"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chico, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chico, CA

Pros

Great coworkers and management team

Cons

After the sale of sleep train to mattress firm the company has taken a nose dive. the first of which was the closer of mattress discounters which took away the synergy and extra revenue from the second brand name. this closure also created another problem of having the same store very close to each other. in some places like Yuba City, Ca in the same parking lot. and there are no plans to relocate one store to a better location. this is dividing the same customer base between two stores and driving away the budget based customers that used to go to mattress discounters. being a sales environment you have goals and these goals just keep going up and bonuses have become almost unreachable. another thing is that managers have lost a lot of the incentives they received which also makes your drive to grow in the company less attractive as you don't have the incentive to do so. this was once a great company and the moral was up. we worked hard and played hard and were known for our parties and company events we were also known for our volunteer work and giving back through foster care programs which we don't see much of anymore either. its sad but this is what happens when an employee owned company is sold off to a publicly traded company. its all about the bottom line and the employees are expendable I left on my own accord to find something more stable and better opportunities to grow and I had wanted to move up in the company till this all went down.

Advice to Management

you need to do something to make employees feel appreciated again. but you need to move stores that are with in a mile of each other to a different location. it makes better business sense and allows employees to see more sales opportunities come through the door

Jul 4, 2016 – Senior Vice President, Human Capital

Thank you for taking the time to leave a Glassdoor review. I appreciate and value your feedback. I will let you know that our Real Estate team is scrutinizing our current store portfolio regarding ... More

"sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Sleep Train Mattress Centers (More than a year)

Pros

- free food
    - lots of down town
    - commission

Cons

- unreliable commission
    - immature personalities of coworkers
    - drama
    - work weekends

Advice to Management

- be more selective with who you hire

"Great Infrastructure, Horrible Ethics"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Superb initial training and initially welcoming environment.

Have an impressive infrastructure and great working relations with vendors and delivery service meaning your sales won't be bogged down by logistical issues or internal issues.

Cons

Despite what they claim, with rare exception, Sleep Train prefers to train young impressionable minds to drink the Kool-Aid and buy into the corporate culture as opposed to sales veterans. This creates a culture of highly competitive yes-people that MUST DEVOTE their life around the company including showing up to non-important corporate meetings 100 miles away with no mileage compensation inside 50 miles or else you are deemed not interested in moving up in the company. You must be an introvert to appreciate the job otherwise you'll greatly miss your social life that gets sucked dry by the company's bizarre meeting schedule and coverage area that takes place from Bellingham to South Center. Your commute will probably suck.

Company also has a horrible tendency to NOT reimburse employees for mileage and expenses. In our last week of training, the trainers "misplaced" all our meal vouchers and asked if we wouldn't mind getting reimbursed. I'm glad I rationed my meal cards to begin with as it took Sleep Train FOUR MONTHS to reimburse my mileage and expenses and some even longer.

Lastly, employment is dependent on passing a standardized test and if you don't pass then you're let go. Makes sense as common core and standardized testing works so well for our country's education system as well. A lot of excellent sales reps didn't make it through training because they forgot a few layers on some mattresses out of 47.

Advice to Management

Training is superb but you cannot measure a person's ability to sell on their ability to memorize layers on mattresses.

Get your internal affairs in order as I know of people STILL waiting for mileage reimbursement, especially when you expect your reps to drive as much as they do for a half-hour meeting. Start video conferencing.

"It's cool. The atmosphere is cool. The people are cool."

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Lemon Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Lemon Grove, CA

I have been working at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job is very chill and the people make working there really fun. The job is actually pretty easy once you get it down.

Cons

The cons are it is very numbers based. Once you cannot perform, that's it. But that's sales for you, man.

Advice to Management

Relax a bit!!

"Salesman tactics"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Sleep Train Mattress Centers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Potential good Salary,

Cons

You are trained for a month before you hit the floor; However, there is a new class starting every couple weeks so turnover is high.

11. "Changes"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

Pros

- great people work here
    - you have some control over your income
    - lots of downtime for personal interests
    - decent benefits

Cons

- long, ridiculous hours
    - since being purchased by Mattress Firm, there has been little to no communication between sales and management
    - probation programs for performance are strict and many great salespeople lose their jobs regularly; no loyalty from the company

Advice to Management

communicate more with people and have some interest in the people that work under you as people, not just as employees. listen to the concerns that your people have and work on finding long-term solutions. stop firing good salespeople because of a few bad months, most often due to circumstances beyond their control