Sleepy's Sleepys Mattress Professional Reviews | Glassdoor

Sleepy's President Adam Blank
Adam Blank

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • However the long hours make it difficult to have good work/life balance (in 60 reviews)

• Not much work/ life balance but that is he case in any retail (in 15 reviews)

1. "Mattress Professional"

Current Employee - Sleepys Mattress Professional

I have been working at Sleepy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for advancement, good benefits

Cons

Lagging POS system, too much downtime, no work/life balance, plays same 70's soft rock songs every day

"Mattress Firm Aquire"

Current Employee - Sleepys Mattress Professional in New Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Sleepys Mattress Professional in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at Sleepy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company prior to aquistion by Mattress Firm.

Cons

Most DMS were demoted to make room for new MF management style. Creating an Area manager position in store's that will do the job of the old DSM that were demoted with promises of bonus structure as an incentive, by years end most store will be doubled and will cut your commission in half and begin paying $12.00 an hour plus the commissions will suffer under the new MF pay structure. Now company a sold again to an Large private company from South Africa, never ending change and undecided company in danger.

Advice to Management

Do not forget about backbone of a Sales organization the Sales People!

"Payroll Discrepencies Did Not Get Corrected"

Former Employee - Sleepys Mattress Professional in Hicksville, NY
    Former Employee - Sleepys Mattress Professional in Hicksville, NY

I worked at Sleepy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great associates, hard working managers, beautiful showrooms, top of the line products

Cons

Paid bi-weekly, Earnings Statement and Commission Statement for the same two-week pay period did not agree, not in number of sales, commissions earned, SPIFFs earned, and the company paid the lowest. Requests for explanation of the differences and correction of the errors brought no response from Payroll. Instead, my second request to Payroll was sent to the Help Desk marked as SPAM. My manager sounded irritated when I told him I had been blocked from emailing Payroll. Checking the previous 90 days' records revealed more "errors", always in Sleepy's favor. Realizing I was not going to get errors corrected, or ever receive my correct earnings, I resigned.

Advice to Management

Advice to management seems to do not good, as it appears to upset them.

4. "Challenging, yet satisfying."

Current Employee - Sleepys Mattress Professional in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Sleepys Mattress Professional in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Sleepy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No one looking over my shoulder micromanaging. Retail, without standing all day. Advantages of being a mattress store vs furniture and mattresses are huge.

Cons

If you are a true salesperson the commission vs draw shouldn't be a factor. However those who don't embrace the process, find difficulty.

I agree that some benefits are not as wonderful as past employers, but they do have them.

Advice to Management

The company as a whole I think is a well oiled machine. A few bumps and bruises along the way, with growth comes change. The new changes inspire me.

"Trust Sleepys...to Eff Up your Life"

I have been working at Sleepy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good pay for those who are in sales (and are liked)
    - Average Benefits

Cons

- Takes 5 years to earn more vacation time
    - Ever changing management teams
    - Inconsistent with policies
    - Treat employees like objects
    - If your in sales, dont rely on keeping your commissions, they encourage of culture of salesman under cutting their employees. They also will bend a policy for a customer at the drop of the hat resulting in a return (up to 180 days later) and take away your commission
    - Very poor support teams in place

Advice to Management

This is a notice to Mattress Firm (their new ownership), get new management and your sales force will respond well!

"A Travesty"

Former Employee - Sleepys Mattress Professional in Odenton, MD
    Former Employee - Sleepys Mattress Professional in Odenton, MD

Pros

Excellent training, great camaraderie amongst store staff, customer focused retailer.

Cons

The draw system is a failure. To many poor performing locations. Sleepys is ubiquitous, a tendency to canabalize one another along the eastern corridor. Pricing on mattresses are extremely gimmicky...especially during holiday sales season. It's a sink or swim model. All performance is tied to metrics if your a store sales person.

Advice to Management

The merger with mattress firm is the best thing for Sleepys going forward.

"Biggest Thieves In a Slimy Business"

Current Employee - Sleepys Mattress Professional in New York, NY

I have been working at Sleepy's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The training is excellent for an entry level salesperson. If you like to read or watch videos, once you have cleaned your showroom, and managed the BS emails, you have over fifty hours a week to do what you want. No real supervision,and if you can live on less than minimum wages, you can not find an easier job

Cons

Incredibly dishonest management and philosophy. The only way to make any money is to overcharge someone for a soon-to-sag mattress.

Advice to Management

Keep grooming your business for sale to Mattress Firm. You are the last big chain standing, losing money, no reputation left to lose, so do the honorable thing and cash out!

"The worst place I have ever seen as far as training and fairness to employees as we as customers."

Current Employee - Sleepys Mattress Professional in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Sleepys Mattress Professional in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Sleepy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros for this misleading and I'll informed ceo. Poor on every aspect from how they treat their employees to how we are used to mislead customers and our commession. You won't ever be happy with this poorly managed company. Hours too long and your lucky if you get one customer a day. No customers they dock your paycheck and threaten your job.

Cons

All of the ABOVE They lie about your training and how far away it us for most. They say they will pay for your mileage up to 120 miles both ways another. They only pay when you go over 120 to and ftom. The training is slow boring and I have been through lots of training with other companies I know the difference. This training is short and only goes over why a bed will relieve back pain neck pain etc.DUH. HORRIBLE TRAINING!!!!!

"Retails sales"

Current Employee - Sleepys Mattress Professional

I have been working at Sleepy's full-time

Pros

My district manager does not harass me. I am left alone ninety percent of the time.

Cons

Long hours. Low pay. Cuts commissions without disclosing. Most managers are running scared of losing their jobs or being demoted. Consequently, many constantly harass their people. Stores are in needed of remodeling. Some stores are in dangerous areas with no security for store personnel. NO ONE IS HAPPY.

Advice to Management

Upper management - get a clue. You have no idea what the mood is at the store level.

"Overworked, underpaid, and under-appreciated."

Former Employee - Sleepys Mattress Professional in Wayne, NJ
    Former Employee - Sleepys Mattress Professional in Wayne, NJ

I worked at Sleepy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on your location and consistency at high traffic locations, commissions can be very lucrative.

Cons

There are so many stores located within a few miles from each other that are each in direct competition with each other that its almost impossible to A) Make a descent commission and B) see enough customers to realistically hit your sales quotas.

Advice to Management

Have some backbone and stand up for your sales staff!