Slingshot, LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

Owen Hannay

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Media Director"

I have been working at Slingshot, LLC full-time

Pros

Great culture, great perks, fantastic people.

Cons

Work loads among departments varies too much. Some departments work an 8-hour day regularly while another department might put in 15-hour days.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees and their complaints. Make changes and don't put a Band-Aid on the problems.

2. "Terrible place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Slingshot, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None really. Unless you like being in the Historic West End with nothing but bums and criminals. It’s a dangerous place for your employees.

Cons

Bad upper management. Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency in my world. Talking down to lower ranked non-vp employees is not something that should be allowed.

Advice to Management

Take a deep breath. Yes, you are losing clients. Yes, you are bleeding revenue. Stead the ship and plan accordingly. No reason to get all bent out of shape.

3. "Hands On Learning"

I worked at Slingshot, LLC full-time

Pros

Slingshot is a great company to get experience at - they immediately let you dive in and work on any projects you can help with. It's fast paced, the people care and they do well. The people are generally easy to get along with. The higher ups care about the company culture and the people who work for them.

Cons

Uncertainty of business would be a con. But that's just agency life. Some people are a bit cliquey/hard to get to know, but don't let that stop you from engaging in the company culture as much as possible. There's also not the healthiest work/life balance for certain departments/positions. However, it is manageable most the time.

Advice to Management

Don't forget to reach out to new people and "beginner" level employees. Take the time to train them and make them feel welcome. It can be overwhelming to be thrown in when you're completely new.

"Fantastic Work Culture"

I worked at Slingshot, LLC full-time

Pros

Great offices, culture, fun events, young people, fast-paced environment, amazing CEO

Cons

Pay is industry standard - not great

"Shady and Petty"

Current Employee - Art Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Art Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Slingshot, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company culture except for the petty high school drama.

Cons

Shady, disrespectful, and terrible upper management.

"Great mid-sized agency"

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Slingshot, LLC (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture and clients

Cons

Have a ton of summer interns so not a lot of room for employment afterwards

"Growth Opportunity for the Committed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Slingshot, LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management is has invested significantly in training and project management. This is in response to surveys sent out to employees, which means they do not have a tin ear (always good to know about someone you're considering working for). If you are the type to take on new challenges to expand your knowledge and experience, you will be given every opportunity to do that. You will find an audience willing to listen to what you've learned.

Two-o'clock Fridays during the summer months and alternating weeks off around Christmas and New Year's (not counted against vacation) are significant perks not to be overlooked.

Cons

Agency size, economy, and client book can lead to significant variance in workload, making it difficult to staff properly. The good news as a potential employee is that you won't be hired unless management is reasonably confident that you will be able to contribute for the long haul.

The less-than-great-news is that sometimes you will feel like you have too much to do, especially if you take advantage of the opportunities mentioned in the "pros" above -- it can be difficult focus on the process while there is a backlog of paying work waiting to get done.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach and listen to the people who are willing to put their reputations on the line for what they believe is best.

"Slingshot - A company to avoid at all costs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Slingshot, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

there are some nice people.... and hours aren't too bad

Cons

Management is terrible (main reason they are losing clients), the young talent is extremely underpaid, seems like everyone at this firm is pretty selfish, lots of yelling, its a dying business that runs extremely inefficiently that focuses on the now and now the future.

Advice to Management

Hire new management and appreciate those who work for you, learn that to inspire your employees and give them a reason to be inspired.

"Junior High School"

I worked at Slingshot, LLC full-time

Pros

There is nothing positive about this company

Cons

No management skills by C-class, head in the sand mentality. The work is sub-par and no one takes responsibility for the shortcomings of the agency.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage and hire the right people.

"Great place to make an impact and grow a career"

Current Employee - Media Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Media Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Slingshot, LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Slingshot has the best of both worlds -- big enough to have best-in-class resources, and small enough to make a personal impact. I've worked at a 10-person agency in Austin, and at a 700+ person agency here in Dallas, and after more than 7 years now here at Slingshot, I can say I truly love the mid-size. Slingshot has sophisticated resources (literally everything a media person could want...MRI, almost all modules of eTelmar, Kantar Stradegy, SRDS, eMarketer, DOMO dashboarding, the full suite of Nielsen Online (@Plan, AdRelevance, VideoCensus, NetView, MobileNetView, you name it), The Media Audit...plus also Mintel, iconoculture, and Crimson Hexagon) you'd expect in a huge agency, yet with only about 80 employees, you can really be entrepreneurial and voice your opinions and recommendations for clients. Plus, you get a ton of responsibility early on, with client-facing visibility early. If you're ready for more, they'll give it to you! I've had the pleasure of moving up in my department to a leadership position, rarely with someone else vacating a position. Slingshot does a great job of moving people along their career paths without being "tied to an org chart." This is great for people who are self-starters, can take the initiative and manage themselves well, and who have the drive to succeed. It's also highly collaborative. What's perhaps best of all though, is the "almost weird" level of cameraderie and familial-like spirit here. There's literally NO internal competition (not like in other agencies). The teams really have each others' backs and pitch in to help each other. I'm thankful for the great group of people I work with! At the end of the day, it's the people that make this place great. (Weekly beer carts and the charitable foundation don't hurt either! Not to mention pretty darn good healthcare.)

Cons

With a bunch of entrepreneurial type people, comes the desire sometimes to "reinvent the wheel" a bit too often. Adhering to "process" can be a bit cumbersome, and sometimes we get in our own way. Generally I'd say that is driven by passion and enthusiasm, but we could improve at running a bit more efficiently. Also, we tend to be pretty lean on our teams, and so the hours can be a little longer than what we'd like to see. (That said, senior management has been receptive to hiring additional headcount when we need to do it.) Not a ton of cons overall though!

Advice to Management

Keep empowering the young people, but don't let them flounder without supervision. Sometimes more guidance/mentorship is needed when onboarding and training young folks. But keep doing what you're doing overall to cultivate a great place that really cares -- on a personal level -- about the people who come to work every day.