Slingshot, LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

Owen Hannay

"Great mid-sized agency"

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Slingshot, LLC (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture and clients

Cons

Have a ton of summer interns so not a lot of room for employment afterwards

"Shady and Petty"

Current Employee - Art Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Art Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Slingshot, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company culture except for the petty high school drama.

Cons

Shady, disrespectful, and terrible upper management.

"Growth Opportunity for the Committed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Slingshot, LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management is has invested significantly in training and project management. This is in response to surveys sent out to employees, which means they do not have a tin ear (always good to know about someone you're considering working for). If you are the type to take on new challenges to expand your knowledge and experience, you will be given every opportunity to do that. You will find an audience willing to listen to what you've learned.

Two-o'clock Fridays during the summer months and alternating weeks off around Christmas and New Year's (not counted against vacation) are significant perks not to be overlooked.

Cons

Agency size, economy, and client book can lead to significant variance in workload, making it difficult to staff properly. The good news as a potential employee is that you won't be hired unless management is reasonably confident that you will be able to contribute for the long haul.

The less-than-great-news is that sometimes you will feel like you have too much to do, especially if you take advantage of the opportunities mentioned in the "pros" above -- it can be difficult focus on the process while there is a backlog of paying work waiting to get done.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach and listen to the people who are willing to put their reputations on the line for what they believe is best.

"Slingshot - A company to avoid at all costs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Slingshot, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

there are some nice people.... and hours aren't too bad

Cons

Management is terrible (main reason they are losing clients), the young talent is extremely underpaid, seems like everyone at this firm is pretty selfish, lots of yelling, its a dying business that runs extremely inefficiently that focuses on the now and now the future.

Advice to Management

Hire new management and appreciate those who work for you, learn that to inspire your employees and give them a reason to be inspired.

"Great place to make an impact and grow a career"

Current Employee - Media Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Media Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Slingshot, LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Slingshot has the best of both worlds -- big enough to have best-in-class resources, and small enough to make a personal impact. I've worked at a 10-person agency in Austin, and at a 700+ person agency here in Dallas, and after more than 7 years now here at Slingshot, I can say I truly love the mid-size. Slingshot has sophisticated resources (literally everything a media person could want...MRI, almost all modules of eTelmar, Kantar Stradegy, SRDS, eMarketer, DOMO dashboarding, the full suite of Nielsen Online (@Plan, AdRelevance, VideoCensus, NetView, MobileNetView, you name it), The Media Audit...plus also Mintel, iconoculture, and Crimson Hexagon) you'd expect in a huge agency, yet with only about 80 employees, you can really be entrepreneurial and voice your opinions and recommendations for clients. Plus, you get a ton of responsibility early on, with client-facing visibility early. If you're ready for more, they'll give it to you! I've had the pleasure of moving up in my department to a leadership position, rarely with someone else vacating a position. Slingshot does a great job of moving people along their career paths without being "tied to an org chart." This is great for people who are self-starters, can take the initiative and manage themselves well, and who have the drive to succeed. It's also highly collaborative. What's perhaps best of all though, is the "almost weird" level of cameraderie and familial-like spirit here. There's literally NO internal competition (not like in other agencies). The teams really have each others' backs and pitch in to help each other. I'm thankful for the great group of people I work with! At the end of the day, it's the people that make this place great. (Weekly beer carts and the charitable foundation don't hurt either! Not to mention pretty darn good healthcare.)

Cons

With a bunch of entrepreneurial type people, comes the desire sometimes to "reinvent the wheel" a bit too often. Adhering to "process" can be a bit cumbersome, and sometimes we get in our own way. Generally I'd say that is driven by passion and enthusiasm, but we could improve at running a bit more efficiently. Also, we tend to be pretty lean on our teams, and so the hours can be a little longer than what we'd like to see. (That said, senior management has been receptive to hiring additional headcount when we need to do it.) Not a ton of cons overall though!

Advice to Management

Keep empowering the young people, but don't let them flounder without supervision. Sometimes more guidance/mentorship is needed when onboarding and training young folks. But keep doing what you're doing overall to cultivate a great place that really cares -- on a personal level -- about the people who come to work every day.

"Collaborative environment committed to strong creative"

I worked at Slingshot, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For someone starting out in their career, Slingshot is an amazing place to grow and soak in knowledge of the industry from extremely seasoned and experienced management. Every department is committed to quality creative and having a strong POV on the work and the strategy. As a junior account person, I was given a lot of responsibility and autonomy on my accounts. I was pushed to perform at a higher level that ultimately improved and sped up my development. Upper management cares about the work and their teams. Overall, a fun, inspiring, family style company culture. I see them doing really cool things.

Cons

Both a pro and a con - not a ton of structure, so you've really got to be a go-getter and ready to rise to the occasion and explore your skill set. If you embrace it, it can be the best part of the culture.

"Great place to start (or end) career"

I worked at Slingshot, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Slingshot was a very interesting place to work. They have a great office and a lot of great people working there. The perks are pretty nice too, like "2 o'clock Fridays" during the summer, a weekly beer cart, regular department outings (field trips), and fun holiday events. They are a digital shop by nature so you can pick up a lot of expertise in this area, but they're pretty media-agnostic and do all sorts of advertising here.

I gained a lot of experience here working on several fairly large accounts. They put me in positions to really figure things out for myself (which might not be great for every type of person. See 'Cons') and so how quickly you rise is really up to you.

When I left, the thing I missed the most was the people. Really good group of individuals here.

Good benefits too.

Cons

As I mentioned, you really have to figure things out for yourself most of the time. The management consisted of some great people, but there seems to be a major gap between upper level and entry level and it leaves a lot of the entry level people floundering to figure out their purpose or role. The creative process never seemed to work like it was "supposed" to, and it created a lot of tension between account service and the creative team. I'm told they've gotten better in this since I left.

There also seemed to be some favoritism here. There always seemed to be a lot of resentment between people, especially after the annual "Shottie Awards" where half the staff would be awarded for various things, while the other half sits and watches their peers get awards/money for doing a great job. (I think the thought is in the right place, but it always seemed to frustrate a lot of people.)

Finally, management tended to bite off a little more than they could chew when winning new business. This usually put the people on that account in a tough spot: working long hours and always seeming to go over budget on everything. A lot of unneeded stress at this place.

I do truly think it all depends on the route you take and what department you're in. Some people could write the best review in the world, and others could say it's the worst place. (I don't agree with the latter at all, but it had some room for improvement.)

Advice to Management

Try to create a little more structure for the younger employees. Show everyone that they're appreciated, not just the ones who are working on the bigger accounts, or those who complain the most. Also, don't wait until people are about to leave for another job to show them what they're really worth. Employee reviews seemed to be an optional requirement when I was there, and I think having those be a little more concrete might help set expectations of when and where the appropriate time for talks of career growth would be.

Finally, you may be experts in this field, but a lot of us are eager to learn. Tell us what you're thinking, why you choose to do things the way you do, the decision-making set you use; help us grow and feel like we are appreciated and I bet you'll find happier employees walking your halls.

"Great place if you enjoy 60-70 hour work weeks for Retail pay"

I worked at Slingshot, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health Insurance, a few relaxed people

Cons

discrimination if you don't drink as drinking is heavy in the culture
    upper management can be "good ole boys / gals" and really have zero respect for anyone but themselves.
    creative direction is non existent as they have no creativity and driven purely on ego
    you won't work on or even have time to pitch anything worth wild
    zero growth on the creative side
    zero diversity

Advice to Management

Maybe invest in ALL of your creatives so there could be some diversity. Do you understand that adding diversity to a creative agency might add to the pool of diverse ideas? Instead we get stuck with the same Texas themed creative executions across the board. Maybe not working your people like a machine and adding some order would prevent the 60-70 hour weeks.

"Creatively, an amazing place to work"

Former Employee - Copywriter in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Dallas, TX

I worked at Slingshot, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Want an immediate impact creatively? You got it. I worked at Slingshot for almost a year and helped bring many executions to life for a large variety of clients in the digital, print, video, and out of home space. You will always have a voice and a chance to make major contributions at this company. There are also lots of opportunities for creative expression, if your ideas are good enough. I highly recommend working here.

Cons

Some late nights (but not enough where I thought it was unreasonable) and a little favoritism to the account team over the creative team, but that did not detract from my personal experience with this company.

"Great for people who like to work 80 hours a week"

I worked at Slingshot, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a many-hats sort of a place, so you'll get work on a variety of clients; there one of those agencies that has a very thorny grapevine - this is the way you will get most important information; there are many team-building events that take valuable time away on working on actual design work; there is a one-way street of communication between senior management and employees

Cons

You will work more than 60 hours a week with no flex time

Advice to Management

You're all hotheaded Marketing grads whose heyday was in 1989