KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Slingshot (Utah) Reviews

Updated Sep 22, 2021

Found 153 of over 156 reviews

3.7
Slingshot (Utah) SVP of Slingshot Operations for WorkWave Jon Soldan (no image)
Jon Soldan
Pros
  • "Slingshot is such a GREAT company to work for(in 45 reviews)

• "You can work from home right out of training(in 37 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Overall, I am very satisfied with Slingshot(in 21 reviews)

• "More swag sent to employees as we work from home(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good

Sep 22, 2021 - Sales Representative in Orem, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good company to work for back then

Cons

Very strict on hours and time

2. 5.0

Great Company

Aug 22, 2021 - Renewal Sales Representative in Mayfield, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

They are very understanding and willing to work with you.

Cons

Can be switched to different departments.

Slingshot (Utah) Response

Thank you for your review! It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your time working at Slingshot and that you felt so supported. Best of luck in your next position!

3. The latest conversations about Advertising

4. 4.0

Great community

Aug 2, 2021 - Customer Service Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very easy to communicate with your managers. Thorough training. Very understandable if things go amiss on your end anytime during your shift.

Cons

Dealing with upset customers and not being able to help much but make a ticket and hope it can be resolved by someone higher up.

Slingshot (Utah) Response

Thank you so much for taking the time write a review. We're so happy you enjoyed your time with Slingshot and that you had such a positive experience with your managers. We wish you all the best in your next endeavor.

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Stay away if you’re looking to move up or make a career here by working your way up.

Aug 23, 2021 - Performance Coach and Sales/Customer Service Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. If you like to work from home, this could be great for you. 2. The team leads are awesome (especially Steph Davies), at least the ones I worked with/got to know. Once you get above team leads, it appears to kind of go downhill from there. Not all of them, but a lot of them.

Cons

Where to start…. You may want to sit down and get comfy for this. 1. The PTO is pretty bad. If I recall correctly, you earn 1 hour of PTO for every 32 hours worked. I did the math for you. If you work here full time, you get about 8 full days per year. Now that’s not super bad when compared to the average 10 days (2 work weeks) that many in the American workforce enjoy, but the way in which it is earned/accrued is asinine. You don’t start with any PTO/sick days/emergency days/etc. so if you start and have an emergency or a previously planned event within your first month or two, you either can’t take off or you have to sacrifice any bonuses you earned for that pay period since having an adherence of under 93% in any given pay period forced you to forfeit all your bonuses. Also, no paid holidays off. Either you’re lucky enough to get the day off due to how your current schedule works, or you’re expected to be there at your desk ready to take calls. You’ll get time-and-a-half at least, but you can still expect to miss Christmas with the family if it falls on a weekend (such as last year) and you work a later shift. 2. You will be working crappy hours (really early or really late) after the first couple weeks of training and crappy days. Now, this is an answering service company, so I understand that they need to have as many hands on deck as possible for certain days of the week, but expect to work Saturday and/or Sunday each week if you apply and get hired here. These hours and days make it rough to have time to spend with your family/friends and have a social life with people who live and work in more normal schedules. 3. Raises are not a thing here. Even with most promotions that you could be offered within your first few years. Which brings me to my next point. 4. If you’re a good sales person who regularly hits most or all your metrics and you are willing to help others who have questions, you may be “offered a promotion” to help train incoming sales representatives. You’d think that means more money and better benefits, right? That’s where you’re wrong, kiddo. You will be paid your current base pay, but if you no longer take calls, you no longer get any bonuses associated with taking calls, which really sucks if you don’t want to be dealing with taking endless calls anymore and (like most folks would) expected a promotion to mean a raise. The only positive change is the opportunity to have a normal work schedule with hours at or around 8:00AM - 5:00PM (dependent upon your time zone since they operate in Mountain Time), and normal work weeks of Monday through Friday. Team leads are also paid less than many of the representatives that they supervise, even though they worked hard on the sales floor to get to that position in most cases. The PTO is hardly any better for this position either. You get more normal days and hours, but it’s downright wrong that they are paid less than the members of the team they supervise. The only real “redemption” here is the bonuses you can get based on your team’s performance. 5. Upper management doesn’t care about those on the call floor or their team leads. They instead like to hire from outside of the company and throw money at them to keep things running smoothly. 6. They appear to be just fine with giving “promotions”, taking them away when there isn’t enough work for you to do, and then handing that same “promotion” someone else when the need for someone to fill that role reappears. 7. Over the final four or five months of my time at Slingshot, I was moved around between 3 different teams (meaning I take different call types, which can hurt how much money I can make), 3 different team leads, and 2 different positions (which definitely impacted how much I made). Stability/consistency does not appear to be something Slingshot cares about for call floor representatives. 8. The bonus associated with your conversion rate is incredibly stupid. It used to be commission based, but due to low call volume in the winter we would make a lot less money. This new system is supposed to help “even out” how much you make over the course of the entire year based upon your sales. This looks good on paper, but it can be (and has been) horrendous in practice. With this new system, literally one or two calls can make or break your bonus for a given pay period and knock you down a bonus tier or two. It happened to me at least two times. I had a call or two that were sales opportunities that I could not close and those calls wound up cutting my bonus for my next paycheck by about $100, and another time it cut my bonus by about $200. Just one or two calls. Now, of course any salesperson would tell you to just make more sales to make up for it, but that’s honestly a huge gamble at this job since not every call can be closed as a sale simply because some scenarios don’t allow you to do so, such as some calls requiring a credit card to submit the sale, or if the call drops after the bring up the cost of the service and you can’t get ahold of them when you call back. Also, if you take those last few bonus-damaging calls and get a “No Sale” or two right at the end of your shift at the end of the pay period, you’re screwed. That’s what happened to me, twice. Before this new bonus structure, in the busier months I’d make $300 - $450 PER PAYCHECK (roughly every two weeks) in my commissions alone, meaning before the other bonuses for any other metrics and before your base pay. The best you can do now is hit a bonus level that makes you an additional $4/hour for that pay period, which, without picking up any OT, comes out to about $320 for that pay period. That’s not bad, obviously, but it’s not guaranteed like your commission used to be. Of course, you could pick up some OT, but then you’re gambling with hurting your conversion rate and losing some or all of that bonus altogether. I was never big on taking OT before this commission bonus change, but I would definitely not take any OT once that change was made because just a call or two could counteract most of what I made that day due to the hit to my bonus. 9. They will sugarcoat everything to try to make it look like it’s for the better or in your best interest, and if they can’t get you to accept that they simply say that “that’s the way it is” when you ask questions about why things aren’t better or things don’t make sense, such as why a promotion results in a pay cut, for example.

Slingshot (Utah) Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It's always beneficial for us to hear from tenured employees. There are a few points we’d like to clear up as we do think there may be some misunderstanding: Our call agents do accrue up to 64 hours of PTO per year, and are allowed to rollover any unused hours (uncapped) to the next year. Most call center environments do not allow for any PTO, so most employees find this to be a great benefit. Work/life balance and family time is extremely important to us. Thanks to helpful feedback from our team members, we’ve changed how we schedule newly hired employees, and in most cases we’re able to find a schedule that accommodates our employees’ busy lifestyles. Slingshot promotes from within on a regular basis to give our tenured employees the opportunity to develop new hires or take on new roles in different departments. Many of our employees are excited about the opportunity to develop their skills in the new areas of the company. We want our employees to succeed and have developed many creative ways to pay bonuses even when certain goals are missed. We understand that sales cycles ebb and flow which is why bonus potential starts fresh each pay period is calculated on percentages. Again, we appreciate your feedback and welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns in more detail.

6. 3.0

Slingshot review

Jun 17, 2021 - Casual Client Support Representative (Remote) in Logan, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working remote is great! The client support team is amazing and the employees are very tightknit with a family dynamic.

Cons

We sold to a bigger company and are going more and more corporate. This is causing us to lose quite a lot of personality and tasks are becoming much more regulated which drastically decreases productivity.

Slingshot (Utah) Response

Thank you so much for your review and advice. It's great to hear that you feel such a positive team dynamic within client support. We understand that with change comes some growing pains and will take your advice to heart. We are extremely optimistic about the potential for the Slingshot team through the recent acquisition and anticipate many great opportunities for all of us in the future.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not a bad place.

May 21, 2021 - Accounts Receivable in Tucson, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility of the work schedule.

Cons

No pay raises for length within the company.

Slingshot (Utah) Response

We appreciate your thoughtful feedback and want to thank you for your flexibility within your current role. We are always trying to improve with the advice of our employees in mind and will take this into consideration.

8. 5.0

everything is great

May 3, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

everything is great loved working there.

Cons

no cons at all loved it.

Slingshot (Utah) Response

Thank you for your review! It's great to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and we wish you all the best in your next adventure.

9. 5.0

Amazing WFH Opportunity

Apr 8, 2021 - Sales Representative in Orem, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay/Bonus: Very competitive pay and an amazing bonus structure to up your hourly rate. It is not hard to hit the bonuses. Management: Jessica was my manager for a lot of my time at Slingshot and she was amazing! She was really understanding but still pushed us all to hit our bonus goals. Team: with a dedicated slack channel and zoom meetings you will grow close to the people you wok with, and with Motivosity you can give each other small bonuses to say thanks Work From Home: this is probably one of my favorite things about slingshot. whether you have a family or are a student not wanting to drive a lot, working from home is amazing!

Cons

Training: the beginning can be kind of intense and overwhelming, but reach out to groups they put you in and you'll be so glad you pushed through the first 2 weeks! Equipment: I personally prefer using my own equipment but some people may find it hard to buy an extra monitor and headset to use. Slingshot does not provide equipment for you to start. Scheduling: with a call center job like this, if you are not approved to take time off you have to find someone to cover your shift.

1 person found this review helpful

Slingshot (Utah) Response

Thank you so much for your review! We're thrilled to hear that you had such a positive experience during your employment with us and that you enjoyed the Christmas package. We appreciate you taking the time to recognize your manager and will be sure to pass this along to her. We wish you all the best in the next chapter of your career.

10. 1.0
      Current Employee

This company has the worst hiring process I’ve ever been through

Mar 30, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The pay and working from home

Cons

Having to fend for yourself and feel disrespected due to religion it was very back-and-forth with no consideration of how they were making anyone feel. They would give the job offer then take it away multiple times. No one was on the same pageThey expect you to know the guidelines to a T and they offer no assistance to helping you

1 person found this review helpful

Slingshot (Utah) Response

Thank you for you for your feedback. We're saddened to hear that you feel unhappy and unsupported in your current role. I would like to ask you to please reach out to me so we can discuss your concerns. jeremiah.smith@getslingshot.com

11. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Meh place to work

Mar 24, 2021 - Cls in Orem, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

They offer some good health benefits and other benefits of a 401k.

Cons

Really hard to get time off and swap with other co-workers. Don't expect to get a increase in pay or promotion when working there for a long time. They say they promote with in but that is not true.

Slingshot (Utah) Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We're saddened to hear that you feel dissatisfied with your position. I would appreciate the chance to discuss this with you further. Please feel free to reach out at jeremiah.smith@getslingshot.com.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 153 Reviews