Sloane & Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Close-Knit Group"

Former Employee - Director, PR & Communications in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director, PR & Communications in New York, NY

I worked at Sloane & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sloane is a relatively small place as compared to other similar firms, which was a major benefit during my time there. Managers truly care about their teams' success, development and happiness and they do all they can to expose them to learning the ropes of PR while nurturing their strengths and skills. This culture was especially valuable as I grew from an entry-level employee to a senior one at the the time I left the firm. It was clear that my managers cared about my success and I worked hard to carry that approach when I became a manager myself. Had I not moved into an in-house role, I would still be with this firm today.

Cons

While managers do care about success and development, they also do care about excellence. You will get constructive feedback and you will face high expectations. Not everyone thrives in this kind of environment, but if you care about being an effective, thoughtful practitioner, there is no better place.

Advice to Management

Be open. Share successes, acknowledge failures (your teams' and your own) and keep building a best-in-class shop.

Sloane & Company Response

Aug 1, 2017 – Co-CEO

Thanks for your kind words. We have worked hard to build a business that is defined by its tremendous team, its common purpose, its great client work, and its friendly, open and transparent culture... More

2. "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Sloane & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The reason I gave them two stars instead of one is because there was a small group of emotionally mature people here. The bad apples far outweighed the small faction of good people at S&Co.

Cons

Where to start? The office operates under a constant haze of fear from upper management. This comes from the top where managers frequently scream and intimidate their teams versus empowering them to do good work. Think you can write an email? Write a sentence? Form a thought? Every manager micromanages to a point where tears are a frequent sight in entry level and above employees over mundane things to point where you question your own professional capabilities. Anyone who claims this never happens at this company is delusional. Look at their employment track record to figure it out. Saw some legitimately good and smart PR people get up and leave this place because it operates like a parody of a 1980s boiler room.

Advice to Management

S&Co does great work, but it is at the expense of its employees. Management straight up ignores anyone below a VP. They don't even look you in the eye if you haven't been there over a year +. It seems like the foundation of the company was baked with fear and vitriol. Why would this change so many years after the fact? Maybe if management paused and looked at the scared and frantic environment they bred in the hallways they'd get how poorly this place is run. Sure, the company is known for its work but also for its turnover and terrible management. If you want your confidence stay away from this place ... as far as you can. The grass is greener on the other side.

Sloane & Company Response

Aug 1, 2017 – Co-CEO

We are deeply concerned about your experience at Sloane & Company. What you have described is not the work environment we believe is currently representative of Sloane & Company and is well outside... More

3. "Post Graduate Internship"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Sloane & Company as an intern

Pros

They treat you like an associate--you are given the same tasks as everyone else.

Cons

They pay you like an intern.

Advice to Management

Change the title to something like Jr. Associate.

"Best Place for Early PR Training"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Sloane & Company full-time

Pros

Working at Sloane isn't for everyone, but if you are a detail-oriented, passionate person who enjoys doing great work for clients, Sloane is one of the best places to start a career. Managers take time to help new employees get up to speed quickly on accounts and your career progression depends on how much you want to take on and how quickly. This is not a place that discourages employees from raising their hands or forces people to stay in a role for a certain amount of time. If you work hard, you are rewarded.

Cons

The environment can often be intense and managers are often exacting with employees. Again, if you're detail-oriented and want to do a good job, this won't be an issue. The culture can also be a bit awkward at times. Lastly, the company is not terribly flexible about working remotely -- there's a general attitude that if you're not in your seat, you're not working.

Advice to Management

Flexibility is key for attracting the new generation and is a great tool for building trust with employees.

5. "tense atmosphere"

Pros

Quiet and no drama. If you like company where people keep to themselves great

Cons

Owner is unapproachable. No office spirit

Advice to Management

Owner should be more accessible to his employees and not threatening

"Wouldn't Recommend Working Here"

I worked at Sloane & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a small firm, so you can move up quickly, become familiar with many different industries and learn a number of work styles.

Cons

Companies they represent are often small beans and boring. Work environment is stressful, demeaning, rude, cut throat, sexist and top-down. Employees are overworked. Management doesn't communicate well. (They're screamers). This influences the entire office. I've also seen business practices that are unethical at times. High employee turn over. Never sign contracts w/ them. They act like they own your soul.

"Work Hard. Play hard"

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY

Pros

The employees are pretty laid-back and friendly. They recognize everyones birthday with a birthday cake. They have many opportunities for training and development- which are open to everyone. They bring an outside corporate trainer in to conduct classes on a variety of topics. The weekly Monday morning staff meetings usually leave us in stomach pains because although it's extremely professional, managements candor and humor is refreshing and envigorating. These folk aren't uptight at all. They make you feel at home... even though you are at work.. and they do eveyrthing they can to support you and provide you with whatever you need to do your job well.

Cons

Long hours.. lots of hard work.. somewhat stressful at times,..You will always be busy!

Advice to Management

Give more vacation time.

8. "Associate"

Pros

Great exposure. Lost of responsibility given to persons relatively new to the business.

Cons

Demanding environment. Managers tend to "micromanage".