Smaato Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Smaato CEO & Co-Founder Ragnar Kruse
Ragnar Kruse

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Most of the people in the San Francisco office really cool (in 4 reviews)

• This is a review solely based on my experience in the San Francisco office (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes communication from exec team/upper management doesn't get to the rest of the company in a timely manner (in 6 reviews)

• Months later these same ideas would be implemented by the management team as their own (in 3 reviews)

1. "Opportunity for Growth within Mobile AdTech"

Current Employee - Account Manager, Demand AMERICAS in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager, Demand AMERICAS in New York, NY

I have been working at Smaato full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Smaato has afforded me the opportunity to be a key contributor of a high impact team and provides me with the resources I need to be autonomous and successful.

If you are looking to learn about Mobile AdTech, Smaato has been a thought leader and innovator in the space for 10+ years. New management has been assigned with the intention to carve out new talent, promote growth, and continue to remain globally competitive through product innovation and thought leadership. Overall, there are many opportunities to come in and be a differentiator while having the support and guidance of management and colleagues. Also, the overall culture of the company nurtures camaraderie, authenticity, while ensuring that we remain effective and excel.

Cons

The down side of working at Smaato is that there is sometimes a disconnect between offices, but I believe these are natural challenges. Also, with recent management changes and acquisition, there was a bit of shuffling and uncertainties, however, that has began to stabilize. If you work for Smaato, you'll need to be able to be highly adaptable and ride the ebbs and flows.

"Senior Account Manager"

I worked at Smaato full-time

Pros

None none none (they make you enter copy here)

Cons

I could not speak less about my time with Smaato. If there were negative ratings, I'd give them. From the hegemonic culture and nepotism, to the myopic (read: Germanic) perspective, blind oversight, and micromanagement, take your pick, it's a terrible place to work. I could go on, but honestly, they aren't worth the copy...

Advice to Management

Sell the company! (Oh wait, you did... to a Chinese holding company... good luck with that...)

"I can't help but to add on! It is true - Mirco"

I worked at Smaato full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Maybe at least you've a job?

Cons

I read a lot about of comments about micro-management. It is really 100% TRUE!
    It resonate with me (no,not the mirco but these reviews)
    From start time to end time and lunch time. During business travel time, you're going to have "good time" as you've to share room with colleagues.

Advice to Management

Read up Peter principle, you've way too many Peters.

"Like Walking Into A Morgue"

Pros

This is a review solely based on my experience in the San Francisco office.

I spent a good deal of time at Smaato and finally asked myself, “what the hell am I doing here?” That’s when I finally left. If you’re looking at Smaato as a potential place to start or continue your career, keep this in mind first. Smaato has the lowest rating out of any major ad tech company and has consistently for years. A couple of bad reviews here or there and you consider those the outliers in company reviews, however Smaato is the opposite. It consistently has bad reviews and the outliers are the few good ones that exist. Keep this in mind when thinking of Smaato:

Average review out of five for major ad tech companies on Glassdoor:

DFP (Google) 4.4
    Appnexus 4.2
    Aerserv 4.1
    Mopub (Twitter) 3.8
    Rubicon Project 3.2
    Smaato 2.6

And here roughly, are the average reviews of Smaato per year according to Glassdoors rating trends from 2015 onwards. Previous to 2015 there are too few reviews to get an accurate average.

2015: 2.9
    2016: 2.6
    2017: 2.6

For three years now employees have consistently rated Smaato low and for three years now Smaato continues to turn a blind eye.

Pro’s of Smaato’s San Francisco office:

-Mid level employee’s are consistently great people to work with.

-Up to $250 of your commute expenses paid for each month.

Cons

Con’s of Smaato’s San Francisco office:

-A manager who spreads himself so thin between so many things that everything get’s half done and therefore nothings done at all. A jack of all trades who is a master of none and a great talker with little action.

-Office has more turnover than a Nevada brothel leading to constant inconsistency.

-Time in and time out this office had the opportunity to do small things correctly to make employee’s happy and feel like Smaato cared about them. Time in and time out they failed and thus the turnover.

-Ideas shared to management and turned down. Months later these same ideas would be implemented by the management team as their own.

-Twice cheated out of bonus money, once told it was their fault but they couldn’t fix it and once lied to.

-An environment which was aggressive at times.

-Low pay. I left Smaato and with the same title saw a 43% increase in salary.

-People offered promotions at times with no pay increase…yes that’s right, read that again. Who doesn’t want more responsibility at the same pay grade!

Why Should you take a job at Smaato?

Either you’re completely broke and it’s your last option to be able to eat and pay your rent or you’re fresh out of college and want to put a year under your belt and then leave. If you don’t fit in either category go somewhere else. Trust me, there are many other companies you can go to and do better.

"Get it together"

I have been working at Smaato full-time

Pros

Decent catered lunches for what it's worth

Cons

-Bad management
    -Huge turnover
    -Micromanagement
    -Lack of advancement in career
    -No training

Advice to Management

Get it together

"No Real Direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Smaato (More than a year)

Pros

Great office - clean, modern.
    Most employees are pretty friendly.
    Decent benefits.

Cons

Upper management has no real direction for the company. The CEO is a bore who doesn't really understand what innovating is; he's simply coasting on the fact that the company got acquired recently. Some employees are inefficient, others flat-out incompetent. A lot of the working hours here feel like busy work and ultimately unproductive.

Advice to Management

CEO should retire and be replaced with someone more visionary. Also, focus on decreasing turnover rate by not firing people at whim.

7. "Good Environment, Big Changes Coming"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Smaato full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There have been a lot of changes in the past few weeks, all for the better. As the company continues to grow under new owners we're seeing some management and personal changes, as would be expected. However, most of the changes are what you would expect from a tech company going through an acquisition. These changes are also opening the door for current employees to grow within their roles, and for teams to expand. I'm personally very excited about the changes and where the company is going.

Every office is a little different, but overall it's a fun place to be. People get along well and you can tell there is some real talent here. People don't take each too seriously, which makes the office a comfortable place to be.

Additionally things like vacation time and benefits are pretty good, better than other places I've worked. Tuesday lunches, Wednesday breakfast, snacks, full cost of medical and public transportation, etc.

Cons

- Sometimes communication from exec team/upper management doesn't get to the rest of the company in a timely manner.
    - Can be fast paced environment and you are expected to learn quickly. That's often the case for any tech company though

Advice to Management

- Communication to the rest of the offices about long-term goals would be good to know. With new owners its important to know if we should expect any sort of changes to structure or company focus.

- If management feels there are any issues that need to be addressed with teams or individuals, they should be more direct with whoever they need to address. Beating around the bush can cause questions or start rumors.

"Get It Together Smaato"

I have been working at Smaato full-time

Pros

Good snacks in the office.
    Accessible to Bart.
    Good group of people to work with.

Cons

Org charts don't make sense.
    Promotion does not guarantee a salary increase.
    Seniority does not necessarily mean they will have industry knowledge.
    Upper management needs management training.
    Grow and build confidence in your employees instead of micromanaging.
    MBO's are not assigned until mid-quarter.
    A lot of the senior team members left leaving behind a junior team that needs guidance.
    Lack of new supply is a concern, but an even bigger concern is the drop in buyer spend.
    The recent positive reviews are very misleading.
    They are lying when they tell you there is room for growth.
    Management would like transparency but its held against you.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs executive coaches. Treat all employees equally no matter their position. Focus on growing business versus office politics and drama. Build a strong account management team. Hire an executive with a strategic view. Work smarter not harder Smaato.

"High performance gets you FIRED!"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

Pros

- First time in my career till last week I worked for a leader who was the most liked by people and guided us to success
    - Finally we had a team that was performing and enjoyed working with each other
    - Hoping new acquisition brings the positive change needed soon

Cons

- the founders pushed the one and only leader who guided us in the company.
    - If you do not kiss the ring, you can kiss your job goodbye, no need to work hard
    - Management lacks integrity, wish there were proper ways to audit the books
    - All the good reviews are added by HR to make it look good (they request us all the time to do it)

Advice to Management

Hire and retain some real performers vs. "yes sirs"

Smaato Response

Jan 19, 2017 – CFO

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that our Sales and Marketing teams certainly have had an impressive performance and cooperated very well recently. But companies cannot be static, they must be... More

10. "Cannot Understand the Bad Reviews, Smaato is a Pretty Awesome Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Smaato full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Beautiful, clean, neat, and well-decorated office. Located in Union Square, easy access to public transportation.
    - Great benefits including: ample PTO, free medical/dental/vision, catered food a couple of times per week, free snacks/drinks, free public transit for your commute, and regularly team-building events/celebrations.
    - Very low drama. People generally get along and are respectable, nice, and easy to work with.
    - People can be promoted relatively quickly as the company is still pretty small and growing.
    - Ability to take initiative and ownership, and work on interesting and challenging projects.
    - Ergonomic workspace.

Cons

- If office could be located in a less touristy area of SF, it would be quieter and less congested outside the building.
    - Nothing major to point out.

Advice to Management

- Would be nice to have free chair massages as a perk and 401(K) matching.