Smaato Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Smaato CEO & Co-Founder Ragnar Kruse
Ragnar Kruse

1. "Good Environment, Big Changes Coming"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Smaato full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There have been a lot of changes in the past few weeks, all for the better. As the company continues to grow under new owners we're seeing some management and personal changes, as would be expected. However, most of the changes are what you would expect from a tech company going through an acquisition. These changes are also opening the door for current employees to grow within their roles, and for teams to expand. I'm personally very excited about the changes and where the company is going.

Every office is a little different, but overall it's a fun place to be. People get along well and you can tell there is some real talent here. People don't take each too seriously, which makes the office a comfortable place to be.

Additionally things like vacation time and benefits are pretty good, better than other places I've worked. Tuesday lunches, Wednesday breakfast, snacks, full cost of medical and public transportation, etc.

Cons

- Sometimes communication from exec team/upper management doesn't get to the rest of the company in a timely manner.
    - Can be fast paced environment and you are expected to learn quickly. That's often the case for any tech company though

Advice to Management

- Communication to the rest of the offices about long-term goals would be good to know. With new owners its important to know if we should expect any sort of changes to structure or company focus.

- If management feels there are any issues that need to be addressed with teams or individuals, they should be more direct with whoever they need to address. Beating around the bush can cause questions or start rumors.

"Make Smaato Great Again!"

I worked at Smaato full-time

Pros

The people that used to work there.

Cons

Smaato is notorious for bad hires especially when it comes to leadership. The only leader this company ever had was let go few weeks back, its unfortunate to see that having a vision, direction and making your company profitable gets you fired. Yet if you never hit your numbers you get special prevailages to WFH three days a week, and move into management positions. A typical workday at smaato is unproductive, your most productive hours will be put into pointless meetings where only two people who love to talk control the meeting. SF BDs do not know the product, therefor they can not sell the product. Sitting through one of their calls is like torture, especially for the client. San Francisco Account management was not respected therefore they all quit last week. They accounted for majority of the revenue yet were treated like second class citizens.

Advice to Management

Recognize talent. Get new leadership. Listen to your employees. Stop using bullying tactics. And HR please stop asking your emoployees to not post Glassdoor reviews, if you want them to stop make some necassary changes.

"High performance gets you FIRED!"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

Pros

- First time in my career till last week I worked for a leader who was the most liked by people and guided us to success
    - Finally we had a team that was performing and enjoyed working with each other
    - Hoping new acquisition brings the positive change needed soon

Cons

- the founders pushed the one and only leader who guided us in the company.
    - If you do not kiss the ring, you can kiss your job goodbye, no need to work hard
    - Management lacks integrity, wish there were proper ways to audit the books
    - All the good reviews are added by HR to make it look good (they request us all the time to do it)

Advice to Management

Hire and retain some real performers vs. "yes sirs"

Smaato Response

Jan 19, 2017 – CFO

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that our Sales and Marketing teams certainly have had an impressive performance and cooperated very well recently. But companies cannot be static, they must be ... More

5. "Cannot Understand the Bad Reviews, Smaato is a Pretty Awesome Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Smaato full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Beautiful, clean, neat, and well-decorated office. Located in Union Square, easy access to public transportation.
    - Great benefits including: ample PTO, free medical/dental/vision, catered food a couple of times per week, free snacks/drinks, free public transit for your commute, and regularly team-building events/celebrations.
    - Very low drama. People generally get along and are respectable, nice, and easy to work with.
    - People can be promoted relatively quickly as the company is still pretty small and growing.
    - Ability to take initiative and ownership, and work on interesting and challenging projects.
    - Ergonomic workspace.

Cons

- If office could be located in a less touristy area of SF, it would be quieter and less congested outside the building.
    - Nothing major to point out.

Advice to Management

- Would be nice to have free chair massages as a perk and 401(K) matching.

"We are on the right track"

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Management has improved immensely over the past 12 months. Sales and account management are now unified and we are 100% aligned to reach our quarterly goals. I have support from my directors and feel empowered to drive my accounts & revenue

I understand why there are several bad reviews here but since Q4 2015, the US office has a completely different atmosphere since we shuffled our management around: night & day. I like it here and I have learned a ton about mobile programmatic. When you see publishers walking away from MoPub to use Smaato for first look, you know that you are heading in the right direction.

Cons

Sometimes process could be owned and rolled out in a more transparent manner

Advice to Management

Keep supporting the team, realistic revenue goals are now achievable more than ever, keep it up

"Horrible"

I worked at Smaato full-time

Pros

There aren't any really. I guess they provide snacks and have a pretty office.

Cons

Awful. Don't even consider working here. I can't believe there are people who have been there for years and stayed after what they have witnessed. It is an abusive company that is horrible to their employees.

Advice to Management

Just avoid at all cost. Worst start up in SF.

"Good job and people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Smaato full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Life at Smaato is good. Not sure why some former employees make it seem rough. I like my job, I learn a lot from my boss, and love my team. Work life/balance is actually respected. Some of the team has gone through tough times and Smaato treated them like humans. Way better than my last job where I was expected to work late nights and weekends (vacations too). I also got to go to Germany. People get promoted a fair amount they give you a lot of freedom. I never dread coming to work.

Cons

The time difference is tough. You have to wait 24 hours for responses sometimes from europe.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your best employees.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Smaato full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- International company, so you interact and work with different cultures around the world
    - You will get rewarded for a job well done(promotions and comp)
    - Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new

Cons

- If you don't perform, you will know it
    - Most back end support is in Hamburg, so you need to be proactive in order to reach them
    - Smaato has a long history, so it took some time to correct some past mistakes. Things have been turning around over the last 2.5 years

Advice to Management

Keep working on communicating more frequently with the satellite offices.

"A Great Place To Work, If You're A Great Worker"

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Smaato full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Before anything, I have to say that I've worked at Smaato for over two years now. We've gone through some hard times with upper management and frankly, many times hired the wrong people. Because of this you see one star reviews below and that's our fault for not doing a better job of hiring in the first place. That being said, I also believe a number of the one star reviews below are fake either by a current or former disgruntled employee. Because of this you should probably take many reviews with a grain of salt. If you're interested in applying to Smaato, apply. Come talk to us, see what we're about and if you think it's not for you, then pass. Are we a perfect place to work? No. Is anywhere a perfect place to work? No. Smaato is not Google or Facebook. If you're expecting your laundry to be done, lunch to be served everyday and a masseuse in the office then you won't be happy here. But if you're interested in having a true impact that you yourself produce, not be a cog in a wheel and work with an innovative team then please let us know.

-Excellent mid management that you'll work with everyday. A true team that makes you feel welcome and is laid back. -A fantastic place to learn the industry from the ground up. I know this for a fact as that's what I did.

-A non-buerocratic company where ideas can be expressed and implemented without having to go through layers of people. You'll know everyone you work with from the office manager to the CEO.

-A company that's growing significantly, in an industry that's also growing.

-Pay is competitive

Cons

-Poor hiring choices in the past led to many unhappy people. This isn't the case anymore.

-CEO seems detached from the company and not viewed as a strong leader by many. Worried more about how the office looks then how the company is running or finances. Many people under the CEO are viewed as the true driving force of Smaato's success. This maybe just perception but many times perception is viewed as reality.

Advice to Management

Don't treat each region as a separate company. The German, US and Singapore offices all get the same benefits.

"Terrible Company, Terrible Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Smaato full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some great employees that made coming to work fun and challenging. Mobile is interested fun and growing, just not here.

Cons

Too many to post. The positive reviews on Glassdoor seem fake. The high up leadership is terrible filled with politics and nepotism. Anyone who cared to try to make a difference was fired. In my short time there I saw on average a firing every other week. There is no sense of job security and your bonus you are supposed to be able to hit I have never heard or seen anyone hit, so do not expect to get a bonus any time soon even though they may try to convince you it is possible. They cared more about arbitrary deliverables and if you worked more than 8 hours a day they view you as a threat to their status quo. Also never saw anyone get promoted there in my time there.

Advice to Management

Focus on and Celebrate hard work and talent. Shake up the leaders on the top (they are not respected and do not respect their teams). There needs to be some serious changes or you will never succeed