Smaato Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 9, 2019

4.0
Smaato CEO Arndt Groth
Arndt Groth
Pros
  • "Flexibility to some policies to have better work life balance(in 9 reviews)

• "Challenging but engaging work load in fast-paced (read: never boring) work environment(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  1. "Best Work Experience of my Career"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Smaato full-time for less than a year

Pros

Where to start? The people were fantastic, a great work-life balance, unmatched benefits (insurance, transportation, etc) compared to any other company out there. Upper management values your opinion and there is a clear strong chemistry and culture with the Americas team.

Cons

Sometimes it's difficult to be completely on the same page with the HQ team in Germany but besides that, no cons come to mind.

Smaato2019-08-01
  2. "Amazing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Smaato full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you're looking for a company that is really good to its employees and has an incredible work culture, I wouldn't look further than Smaato. During my tenure here so far, both management and my co-workers have done everything in their power to mentor me to success and help me grow as an employee. Smaato has an amazing product, and everyone here constantly works very hard to innovate and make sure it is the pinnacle of the industry. Everyone here is very passionate about what they do! Smaato is a fun place to work with a motivating and inspiring work environment that will spring you out of bed in the morning. If you're looking for a place where you can grow as an individual and employee tenfold, apply to Smaato.

Cons

Honestly, I've found absolutely nothing negative. Smaato is a super positive company and the best place I've worked at.

Smaato2019-07-20
  3. "Good place to start off your career"

Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Smaato full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good environment to learn about the ad-tech industry and work with seasoned professionals. The NY office is oriented more towards sales, account managers, and client-facing roles. Great office location and space.

Cons

Workload can become repetitive. Management strives for transparency but updates/promises on new initiatives and benefits have a tendency to go nowhere or trail off. Communication between departments is difficult since departments/heads are usually based in other offices like Germany or San Francisco. Product/Tech needs more work. Pay and compensation is below industry standard.

Smaato2019-06-05
  4. "On the right track"

I have been working at Smaato full-time

Pros

There were a lot of changes in the company in upper management, overwhelmingly in the right directions. Management is working hard to invest in the company, improve morale, and generally move in the right directions. Benefits are pretty good, good salary and benefits, global company, central locations in cities all over the world, commuter benefits are amazing, 100% health insurance coverage for single people, 80-90% for families. Very open vacation layover policy. Company started doing internal employee satisfaction surveys, openly sharing them, and taking feedback in consideration.

Cons

Its an Ad Tech company, the industry is a mess and in that sense Smaato is no different. Communication with HQ in Germany can be challenging. Also, German vacation benefits should be global, can't help but feel jealous when you find out that someone in Germany is gone for 3.5 weeks.

Smaato2018-06-22

"Accountant"

I worked at Smaato

Pros

Great company, good leadership. Very well structured environment with lot of flexibility. Good benefits let me health plan and 401K

Cons

Very small company, not much room to grow. If you were looking for stable job this is not the place.

Smaato2018-03-12

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Smaato full-time

Pros

I was a little hesitant about joining the team because of the bad reviews. I decided to accept the offer because everyone I interacted with during the interview process seemed genuinely happy to be here and excited about where Smaato is going. Six months later I still believe this to be true. Upper management is really focused on making sure employees feel appreciated and are developing. Management is very transparent with the teams. I truly feel that Smaato is a company I will be happy at for a long time.

Cons

No 401K matching program

Smaato2018-03-12
  7. "On the Up and Up"

I have been working at Smaato full-time for less than a year

Pros

Management and executive team are making a push for more transparency on processes and goals as the company is investing in its core product and tech, which has continuously improved since I started here. Since Smaato is a global company, there's a lot of cross-functional team work and things are always moving and developing. Everyone is smart, passionate/caring about what they do, and motivated to meet goals and solve problems. The experience, expertise and resources are all there. Yet we all still find a way to have a little fun.

Cons

Lack of 401K matching Small space for NY office

Smaato2018-03-15
  8. "Great place, Lot's of traction, Big Focus on Employees...NYC Office"

I have been working at Smaato full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smaato has recently restructured management, putting focus on the right executives and building a strong culture. The majority of the industry knows the brand and with the company re-investing in the technology, it's been able to stay up to date and compete against the major players Lot's of employee benefits; WFH policy, great commission structure, catered lunch/breakfast weekly and open transparency from the C-Level team

Cons

Not many negatives; Smaato has provided me with a relative stress-free environment while letting me grow as an employee. All product concerns are noted and are in continuous development

Smaato2018-03-09

"I can't help but to add on! It is true - Mirco"

I worked at Smaato full-time for more than a year

Pros

Maybe at least you've a job?

Cons

I read a lot about of comments about micro-management. It is really 100% TRUE! It resonate with me (no,not the mirco but these reviews) From start time to end time and lunch time. During business travel time, you're going to have "good time" as you've to share room with colleagues.

Smaato2017-08-08

"Like Walking Into A Morgue"

I worked at Smaato

Pros

This is a review solely based on my experience in the San Francisco office. I spent a good deal of time at Smaato and finally asked myself, “what the hell am I doing here?” That’s when I finally left. If you’re looking at Smaato as a potential place to start or continue your career, keep this in mind first. Smaato has the lowest rating out of any major ad tech company and has consistently for years. A couple of bad reviews here or there and you consider those the outliers in company reviews, however Smaato is the opposite. It consistently has bad reviews and the outliers are the few good ones that exist. Keep this in mind when thinking of Smaato: Average review out of five for major ad tech companies on Glassdoor: DFP (Google) 4.4 Appnexus 4.2 Aerserv 4.1 Mopub (Twitter) 3.8 Rubicon Project 3.2 Smaato 2.6 And here roughly, are the average reviews of Smaato per year according to Glassdoors rating trends from 2015 onwards. Previous to 2015 there are too few reviews to get an accurate average. 2015: 2.9 2016: 2.6 2017: 2.6 For three years now employees have consistently rated Smaato low and for three years now Smaato continues to turn a blind eye. Pro’s of Smaato’s San Francisco office: -Mid level employee’s are consistently great people to work with. -Up to $250 of your commute expenses paid for each month.

Cons

Con’s of Smaato’s San Francisco office: -A manager who spreads himself so thin between so many things that everything get’s half done and therefore nothings done at all. A jack of all trades who is a master of none and a great talker with little action. -Office has more turnover than a Nevada brothel leading to constant inconsistency. -Time in and time out this office had the opportunity to do small things correctly to make employee’s happy and feel like Smaato cared about them. Time in and time out they failed and thus the turnover. -Ideas shared to management and turned down. Months later these same ideas would be implemented by the management team as their own. -Twice cheated out of bonus money, once told it was their fault but they couldn’t fix it and once lied to. -An environment which was aggressive at times. -Low pay. I left Smaato and with the same title saw a 43% increase in salary. -People offered promotions at times with no pay increase…yes that’s right, read that again. Who doesn’t want more responsibility at the same pay grade! Why Should you take a job at Smaato? Either you’re completely broke and it’s your last option to be able to eat and pay your rent or you’re fresh out of college and want to put a year under your belt and then leave. If you don’t fit in either category go somewhere else. Trust me, there are many other companies you can go to and do better.

Smaato2017-06-29