KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Smaato

Is this your company?

Smaato

Add a Review

Smaato Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 15, 2021

Found 12 of over 142 reviews

2.8
Smaato General Manager Matthew Deets
Matthew Deets
1 Rating
Pros
  • "International working environment(in 11 reviews)

• "Flexibility to some policies to have better work life balance(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Upper Management doesn't follow their own processes(in 7 reviews)

• "However, the full-time staffs tend to have much longer working hours(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Best Work Experience of my Career

Aug 1, 2019 - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Where to start? The people were fantastic, a great work-life balance, unmatched benefits (insurance, transportation, etc) compared to any other company out there. Upper management values your opinion and there is a clear strong chemistry and culture with the Americas team.

Cons

Sometimes it's difficult to be completely on the same page with the HQ team in Germany but besides that, no cons come to mind.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good job and people

Mar 7, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Life at Smaato is good. Not sure why some former employees make it seem rough. I like my job, I learn a lot from my boss, and love my team. Work life/balance is actually respected. Some of the team has gone through tough times and Smaato treated them like humans. Way better than my last job where I was expected to work late nights and weekends (vacations too). I also got to go to Germany. People get promoted a fair amount they give you a lot of freedom. I never dread coming to work.

Cons

The time difference is tough. You have to wait 24 hours for responses sometimes from europe.

3 people found this review helpful

Current Employee

Big Name In The Mobile Space

Oct 28, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Centrally located San Francisco office within walking distance of almost everything you can imagine! One of the few "start-ups" I've seen too with a true sense of work life balance. Benefits are great from full health benefits paid for at the employee level as well as transit being fully paid for as well. Smaato also offers career development opportunities as well.

Cons

Working with a global company has some time zone barriers. Some policies and expectations may not fit for all offices.

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great intro to Mobile Advertising

Jun 24, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Smart, motivated colleagues who are well respected in the industry.

Cons

Management doesn't communicate a clear vision for the company, and communications throughout international offices are not efficient enough. SF office has a better work/life balance over other offices.

Continue reading
      Be the first to find this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Mental health at damaged..

Jan 15, 2021 - Inside Sales Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Peers are helpful and understanding

Cons

- work life balance comes to non existent: Understaffed, expanding job responsibilities, exploding technical cases with speed of creation exceeded speed of resolution. On daily basis either you stretched overtime to resolve or go off on time leaving case unattended. - very high frequency of customer direct facing occurrence on integration/technical errors questions: this can take up significant portion of working time and as interference prevented you from working backend on already exploding cases.. - (A lot) Night meetings at non working hours: night meetings scheduled at 10pm few days a week.. Used to have inefficient repetitive meetings occupying can-be-used-for-real-work times. - Unsatisfied HR experience, need to do research for HR what's local regulations. New employees onboarding gets hanged up. - burnt out physically and mentally

7 people found this review helpful

Smaato Response

Thank you for your feedback. We are so sorry to hear you were unhappy with Smaato. When the pandemic hit us and drove us into home office, the work environment changed. Still, this should have not been at the cost of your work-life-balance, or even worse, your health. No one should go through hard times alone, so it is unfortunate we couldn’t find a solution together. We work hard with our leadership team to enable flexible hours and ensure teams can balance all important parts of their lives. We are committed to improvement. We wish you all the best in your personal and professional future. Though we regret to see you leave, It's more important that you are happy now.

7. 4.0
      Former Employee

NA

Dec 19, 2020 - Market Quality Engineer in Singapore
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good culture and the work life balance

Cons

No con as of now

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Communication needs major improvement

May 21, 2020 - Entry Level Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers and bosses were always genuinely friendly and helpful in achieving goals. The pay was fairly reasonable for entry-level positions. The work-life balance was really nice and there was never a demanded to overwork.

Cons

The company strategy was not very clear at all levels of business and this made it very difficult to set individual goals that would also benefit the company. I would say Smaato was always very quick to celebrate the small wins but there was no real motivation to push for setting and accomplishing big goals. Teamwork level and appreciation lacked in cross-team activities. Onboarding as a new employee was also very unfulfilling.

4 people found this review helpful

Smaato Response

Hi there. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer all three columns in your review. Our in-house eNPS surveys show that the "People at Work" belong to the Top 5 strengths of Smaato, and we're glad you experienced this too! Your feedback concerning our strategy reflects internal feedback that we understand, take seriously, and have acted upon. Our 2020 strategy has been re-iterated in every company meeting since the beginning of this year to ensure that every employee understands our journey. Formulating and nurturing our 6 defined values is equally important to us. While it's unfortunate you won't be able to benefit from these improvements, we want you to know that we listen to our employees as we strive to create a collaborative and empowering environment for all to succeed. If you feel comfortable, we would love to hear any ideas you have to enhance the on-boarding process. You can reach us via an email or per an informal LinkedIn message. Thank you again for your thorough review.

9. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Kill your career in Smaato

Dec 4, 2019 - Software Engineer in Hamburg
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Work-life balance - Nice office

Cons

- Unfriendly work environment - Nobody really cares about you - Enterprise culture with no desire for innovation - No career growth - Hippocratic HR

4 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Improvement APAC

Mar 23, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Singapore
      Business Outlook

Pros

Management and HR are making changes to improve. Better progression. Changes can be discomforted but those who strongly believe it is getting better are here to stay. People are committed. Lots of new initiatives by HR are providing better structure and transparency. Flexibility to some policies to have better work life balance. good marketing write up. Good team collaboration.

Cons

comments and feedback are good but don’t interfere when it’s other departments decision.

11. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great people, challenging work but scope for improvement.

Jun 3, 2018 - Software Engineer in Hamburg
      Business Outlook

Pros

* People, people, people. * Work is challenging in positive way * Compensation is at ~75th percentile, I would say (but #1 and #2 above make up very well for it, IMO) * Mentoring, (If you are junior-mid level engineer there is tons to learn from people who will never make you feel stupid for asking questions/failing) * No blame-game or finger-pointing. Objective RCAs has been one of the most valuable learning from the team (among many others, often not even engineering related lessons). * Work-life balance * No micro-management (Depends on who you're reporting to, YMMV)

Cons

* Top-down culture is sipping through. * For some reason, the depts are fighting for their own turfs all the time instead of being aligned. * Indifference thanks to enterprise-y org structure/growth, not that it's inherently bad but might not suit everyone (specially for those who are used to move fast/break things world)

2 people found this review helpful