Small Improvements Reviews | Glassdoor

Per Fragemann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Customer Team"

I have been working at Small Improvements full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working at Small Improvements for a few months now. Being a first time, remote employee, I have felt really welcome and included with the core team in Berlin. It is really clear that everyone is very passionate and open minded. Everyone is really eager to help and share knowledge.

Cons

It can be challenging to stay connected and feel comfortable with learning new processes and systems from a distance. I think the teams have really made an effort to bridge the gap but there are probably still 'Small Improvements' that could be made.

2. "Incredible Culture and Team"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Small Improvements full-time

Pros

Everyone on the team is extremely passionate and dedicated. They love the product and it creates an incredible culture. The flexibility to work remote allows you to maintain a great work/life balance.

Cons

Sometimes it can be difficult to stay connected with team members when we're all working in different time zones and locations. You should make an extra effort to over-communicate and document activity to keep everyone in the loop!

Advice to Management

Continue investing in your employees and their growth within the organization!

3. "Great culture"

I worked at Small Improvements full-time

Pros

The company values it's employees, their career aspirations and their opinions.

Cons

As everyone's opinion is valued, even cross department, it can some times be hard to come to a consensus.

4. "Diverse, Friendly and Open"

Former Intern - Intern in Berlin (Germany)
    Former Intern - Intern in Berlin (Germany)

I worked at Small Improvements as an intern

Pros

- diverse and open colleagues, great variety of backgrounds and personalities yet good team spirit
    - high mutual respect between technical and non-technical roles
    - learning company
    - work life balance is highly valued, I rarely saw commits after 7 pm and people actually staying late almost never happens

Cons

I guess it's like a Jazz Band. There's room for strong personality, freedom, and expression but it only works if you like the kind of music, always listen to the rest of the band and have mastered your instrument.

Advice to Management

Competitors might be able to copy ideas or features, but teams and culture have to grow over a long time (:

5. "Friendly and Inclusive"

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in Berlin (Germany)
    Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in Berlin (Germany)

I have been working at Small Improvements full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company really lives it's values. There are no middle management layers, just self-organised teams who are able to drive their own change. Lunch time is when everyone gets together in a social context and the company regularly puts on lunches. The work is challenging (in a good way) and everyone in encouraged to flex their entrepreneurial muscles to help the company grow. This is a place where you feel you can really talk to the CEO and challenge him if there's something you don't agree on.

Cons

If you want to rise through the ranks of management, there is a very flat hierarchy here.

6. "Freedom and personal development"

I have been working at Small Improvements part-time

Pros

Small Improvements is a company that really cares about empowering the employees. I have from the first day been told to 'be the change you seek' and given freedom to use my skills in the way I think I can make the most difference.

Moreover, there is a very trusting environment, we focus of course on improving feedback and developing a great company culture (which is kind of what SI is about), but we also get an astounding amount of work done.

Of all the things I could mention, I think personal development is the most important. Small Improvements is a company in which you get support to improve yourself, learn, and stretch to do great things without someone holding a whip over your head.

They also pay better than most comparative companies, even at entry level.

Cons

SI is still a young company, so expect changes and a some degree of uncertainty. Sometimes you might have to be proactive about getting info and making changes, as it won't automatically fall into your lap.

7. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Berlin (Germany)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Berlin (Germany)

Pros

- Coming from a large company (>400 employees), I really enjoy the absence of red tape. If you see room for improvement you're generally heard.
    - A lot of decisions are made bottom-up, which allows you to contribute your expertise.
    - Everyone at Small-Improvements is very motivated.
    - Overtime is not an issue.
    - You get to know customers on field trips and learn about the industry and HR.
    - The office is conveniently located and a good place to work at.

Cons

- If you're coming from an organization with strict specifications, or high pressure, you might have a hard time getting oriented and developing your personal responsibility.

8. "A great place to work, grow and learn from your peers"

I have been working at Small Improvements full-time

Pros

Small Improvements has an excellent internal culture, led by a great CEO. Everyone in the team shares similar basic values and this has led to a working environment of collaboration, openness, respect and creativity. New ideas are always welcomed and explored, but also with an understanding of practicality.

The work-life balance is excellent and the company treats its team members just like human beings, not cogs in machines.

Cons

Being a relatively young company, there are some procedural areas lacking, but the company's openness and willingness to grow means these areas are constantly being improved. The career paths are not always clearly defined, however the cultural values of "be the change you seek" means that future roles can always be created and grown into.

"Great people in a great environment !"

Current Employee - People Success Manager in Berlin (Germany)
    Current Employee - People Success Manager in Berlin (Germany)

I have been working at Small Improvements full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of things I really enjoy while working at Small Improvements, the first thing being the people. Yes, the company is looking for great developers and talented people in general, but they also take the time to assess that the person is a right fit with the company culture. "We are a band, not rockstars" & "be the change you seek" are part of our values and that's something you truly experience here. Being a small and self-founded (!!) company I like the freedom it gives all of us to really contribute to the product in many different ways. Which doesn't prevent us from being big players on the market, we have more than 700 clients and growing ! Oh and I forgot to mention our amazing offices in the heart of Berlin, which feels/is a big apartment with small rooms and hence no large open space.

Cons

I guess it's a whole new world for persons coming from a bigger company or different environment, and it can take some time to adapt, but it's not really a bad side, more something to keep in mind. Also, some employees have been there for a few years already, grew with the company and know each other very well, so it demands an additional effort to connect and get the "missing layers", but overall I think the company is doing a good job with sharing its story.

Advice to Management

Make sure that we keep this great culture while growing :)