Small Improvements Reviews

Updated Apr 25, 2020

5.0
Small Improvements CEO Per Fragemann (no image)
Per Fragemann
  1. "Great culture & genuine people"

I have been working at Small Improvements full-time for less than a year

Pros

I am part of the remote team at SI and have been pleasantly surprised at the level of communication between Berlin & the US. You can tell that co-workers make a conscious effort to keep everyone informed and are overall very friendly and welcoming. The company itself has clearly defined values and inclusive practices which is something that aligns well with my own values. Things like personal growth and open dialogue are encouraged by all employees. The occasional treats from Berlin don't hurt either :)

Cons

As with any remote job, the time difference and lack of in person interaction can be a small challenge at times but this is something the company constantly works at improving.

Small Improvements2019-02-20

"Customer Team"

I have been working at Small Improvements full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been working at Small Improvements for a few months now. Being a first time, remote employee, I have felt really welcome and included with the core team in Berlin. It is really clear that everyone is very passionate and open minded. Everyone is really eager to help and share knowledge.

Cons

It can be challenging to stay connected and feel comfortable with learning new processes and systems from a distance. I think the teams have really made an effort to bridge the gap but there are probably still 'Small Improvements' that could be made.

Small Improvements2018-09-05
  3. "Incredible Culture and Team"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Small Improvements full-time

Pros

Everyone on the team is extremely passionate and dedicated. They love the product and it creates an incredible culture. The flexibility to work remote allows you to maintain a great work/life balance.

Cons

Sometimes it can be difficult to stay connected with team members when we're all working in different time zones and locations. You should make an extra effort to over-communicate and document activity to keep everyone in the loop!

Continue reading
    Small Improvements2016-04-14
  4. "A good place to be"

I have been working at Small Improvements full-time

Pros

Good pay, generous benefits and great people

Cons

Resource constraints due to no outside funding.

Small Improvements2020-04-25
  5. "Great small company with positive energy"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Berlin

I worked at Small Improvements full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Motivated team that is always learning new things - Strong appreciation for engineering excellence - Friendly colleagues - Respect for personal time/family commitments/etc - Feels like an ethical company that honestly sticks to its values

Cons

- Communication across locations can be difficult at times

Small Improvements2020-01-20
  6. "Friendly and welcoming"

Former Intern - Intern Marketing in Berlin

I worked at Small Improvements for less than a year

Pros

This company truly lives its values and makes an effort to maintain a positive, friendly culture. Team members make an effort to support you and managers are genuinely invested in your personal growth. As a small company, there is always a lot to do and the opportunity to take on a variety of projects.

Cons

Different teams don’t interact with each other as much as they could.

Small Improvements2019-08-09
  7. "Great culture"

I worked at Small Improvements full-time

Pros

The company values it's employees, their career aspirations and their opinions.

Cons

As everyone's opinion is valued, even cross department, it can some times be hard to come to a consensus.

Small Improvements2018-09-11
  8. "Diverse, Friendly and Open"

Former Intern - Intern in Berlin

I worked at Small Improvements

Pros

- diverse and open colleagues, great variety of backgrounds and personalities yet good team spirit - high mutual respect between technical and non-technical roles - learning company - work life balance is highly valued, I rarely saw commits after 7 pm and people actually staying late almost never happens

Cons

I guess it's like a Jazz Band. There's room for strong personality, freedom, and expression but it only works if you like the kind of music, always listen to the rest of the band and have mastered your instrument.

Continue reading
    Small Improvements2018-03-29
  9. "Friendly and Inclusive"

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in Berlin

I have been working at Small Improvements full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company really lives it's values. There are no middle management layers, just self-organised teams who are able to drive their own change. Lunch time is when everyone gets together in a social context and the company regularly puts on lunches. The work is challenging (in a good way) and everyone in encouraged to flex their entrepreneurial muscles to help the company grow. This is a place where you feel you can really talk to the CEO and challenge him if there's something you don't agree on.

Cons

If you want to rise through the ranks of management, there is a very flat hierarchy here.

Small Improvements2017-12-15
  10. "Freedom and personal development"

I have been working at Small Improvements part-time

Pros

Small Improvements is a company that really cares about empowering the employees. I have from the first day been told to 'be the change you seek' and given freedom to use my skills in the way I think I can make the most difference. Moreover, there is a very trusting environment, we focus of course on improving feedback and developing a great company culture (which is kind of what SI is about), but we also get an astounding amount of work done. Of all the things I could mention, I think personal development is the most important. Small Improvements is a company in which you get support to improve yourself, learn, and stretch to do great things without someone holding a whip over your head. They also pay better than most comparative companies, even at entry level.

Cons

SI is still a young company, so expect changes and a some degree of uncertainty. Sometimes you might have to be proactive about getting info and making changes, as it won't automatically fall into your lap.

Small Improvements2017-11-30