Smart Circle Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You will learn a lot about the business world and develop professional habits (in 9 reviews)

• Great family style work environment (in 7 reviews)

1. "Owner of my own LLC"

Former Employee - Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Smart Circle full-time

Pros

The new people that are coming into this business now have it so easy.

Imagine being with the company doing residential door-to-door sales versus being in the AC saying hi to people and you're really not selling a product you're helping them out and a member experience by saving them money at the same time you're learning valuable marketing and people skills. There is a sale system that you will learn.
    Number one I just need to put out there that there's a lot of negative comments because of people who could not make it or didn't have a student mentality.
     but you will find a lot of positive comments on the people who actually didn't make it and where able to take advantage of the opportunity.
    Call Rose 4 College grads the Resume Builder experience and sales marketing public speaking and more and that's just at the beginning then if you're able to get promoted to leadership role you learn how to train and develop other individuals which in any company you need to do then in a management role you learn how to do interviews the back in accounts receivable accounts payable to learn how to do all of the necessary items to run a company. Then if you have the right mentality and you are reaching out to the right mentors you should be promoted to a level called ownership which is management where they do file Articles of Incorporation for business for yourself and you don't pay a dime for it.
    The reason they file Articles of Incorporation for you is not a liability risk as I saw in a previous comment but that gives you full reign of the business on what you choose to do now the product and the services are rendered by Smart Circle and of course you have to represent those products and services in an ethical manner if you're not ethical and then of course you would be shut down I would think any company with unethical practices should be shut down.
    But you think of another company where you can start off and represent the largest companies inside the largest companies and then have the option to own your own company

Cons

Long hours your attitude will be tested we need to have a student mentality and if you don't think about quitting at least three times and then stay with the company then something's wrong because that is what makes you a stronger leader and owner and asset.
    Yes you're going to have to work some long hours yes there's going to be weeks that are hard sales aren't always up and there's going to be weeks that your attitude. everybody does start at the bottom and work their way up and as far as benefits in this economy now with everything that's out it's cheaper to buy your own benefits than it is to get it through a company trust me I know I work for a private company who offer benefits. They say this company is a pyramid scheme but it can't be a pyramid scheme number one because those are illegal in the United States number to you never make money directly off the person below you a Smart Circle actually give you a kick back for helping them sell more product
    As far as the cons go they really are up to you depends on your attitude or affect epic mentality the ability to reach out to another mentor.

Advice to Management

Advice to management would be to definitely make sure that all the offices when recruiting are telling everybody pretty much the bottom line and allowing people to know what they're getting into and allowing them to know most of the opportunity. Letting them know just like any company there are negatives as well as positives and the positives far outweigh the negatives.
    Also have more conference calls on new products and details, allowing not just owners know but letting some of the new people who are the future know. Have a regional leaders brand manager call once a month on newer items out, future of company, and other things to help build there team.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Market Owner in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Market Owner in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Smart Circle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’m 22 making over 55k all thanks to smart circle and AT&T direct tv. I know there is plenty of negative comments on smart circle but remember not everyone has what it takes to become successful. If you do, don’t just apply, inquire about the different programs they have available. I’m involved with AT&T inside Costco. Yes we work a lot but I make over 1,500 a week. I’d rather work my tail off for four years then live the rest of my life as an employee. In 1 year I was able to promote out to run my very own office and market giving others the opportunity to make 50k.

Cons

Not everyone has what it takes to work here. You gotta know how to eat crap and still smile.

Advice to Management

Apply apply apply. No where else can you make 50k plus with a chance to run your own business. It’s W2 so it’s hourly and commission.

"Direct marketing sales associate in Sam's Club"

I worked at Smart Circle full-time

Pros

Great starting sales position really builds tough skin for future sales jobs.

Cons

If you like disturbing people while they get groceries and stopping people in their tracks while they are just trying to shop then this is the job for you. you will be hated by everyone that walks past you and it can get tiring after a few months.

Advice to Management

do more events that dont involve groceries stores and harassment.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Smart Circle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is "some" valuable skills taught, chiefly in terms of healthy selling-mentality and taking ownership over your area of work....

Cons

It's a pyramid scheme that gets "out" of being officially labeled as one because they don't take money from "each" employee all the way down, but the structure in almost every business sense minus the recruit friends and family, and pay to get in part is EXACTLY the same!!! They've perfected it to the point where the larger offices appear so legitimate even the brightest and best fall into thinking it's a legit opportunity, what they don't tell you is over 80% of the "independent business" FAIL. It's a very unstable business model filled with immense amounts of uncontrollable variables that can render it almost impossible to manage an "office/business" successfully. Good for those with nowhere else to turn, bad for folks with any real talent aside from blind ambition and willingness to learn...

Advice to Management

Stop recruiting (almost) anybody that will take the job, you can't build a business on a shaky foundation, anyone who's told they'll go from entry-level sales to 6 figure earner in 4-8 months is insane. The "manager in training" excuse can only go so far until people realize EVERYONE is a manager-in-training cus the turnover rate is over 80%...

"Being partnered with this company has been the most amazing experience of my life"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Smart Circle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People who really care, amazing potential for growth, train and develop you to do amazing things independently, promote a lot of mentorship.

Cons

Being a part of working with Smart Circle means being a part of a company with high standards, this is what drives the growth.

Advice to Management

Thank you for everything. You deserve all the success you have.

"Keleef Management (soon to be Vortex Management)"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Novi, MI
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Novi, MI

I worked at Smart Circle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meet some cool people
    Find out what job you never want to have
    You learn some marketing strategies if youre not familiar with them

Cons

They take advantage of college grads and people with no knowledge/experience in the labor force.
    Unprofessional and huge lack of communication.
    No sick days, no weekends, no vacation.
    POOR COMPENSATION. I only worked 3 days in the field (after a week of training) before I figured it was BS. You are straight up REQUIRED BY YOUR JOB to drive to a different Home Depot EVERYDAY and you receive INSUFFICIENT COMPENSATION. The IRS standard is something like $0.55 cents per mile. They pay you $30 a week for gas....... Like where do they get that number.
    I calculated one day out and it shouldve been $22 THAT DAY. None of the Home Depots are less than 15-20 mins away. Most were 30-40. You drive to the office then you drive there and change then you drive home which could be even farther away depending on which direction you are sent. Its ridiculous.

Literally you are lied to during the interview process. Looking back on it there were red flags but I was in need of a job like that day so I just rolled with it. They make it seem like you're going to be making more money than you know what to do with, and that the market they are in charge of is as easy as pie. I mean they've got average income numbers of 80-120K for your first year written down on paper that they show you, its gotta be legit right? Wrong. The expectations are falsified. You literally walk around a Home Depot for 6 hours everyday including weekends selling free cabinet refacing consultations. Didnt find that out until I was training. Everything was kept very vague until I was brought in for orientation. Your numbers come down to luck and your ability to "sell" this consultation even though "we're not selling". One dude that had been there a month or two had average pay stubs of $200-300 per week. I asked my manager if there would be more than one person in the store because that was something that I saw could be an issue with this commission based pay. He said no you have your own store. Again, didnt find that out this was a lie until after I was training. 6 stores 10 people you do the math (for my brief time there).
    You are required to have scheduled 5 appointments by Wednesday or else they sit you out the rest of the week. You dont make commission unless you hit your five appointments. You get paid $10 an hour. The commission you make is split with the higher ups until you hit certain goals and they move you up then they take less out of your earnings. Its just not a legitimate job, its a borderline pyramid scheme but they distract you from that with the one hour per day office pep talk "good vibes" atmosphere. You dont make all of the commission you earn unless you're the owner.
    If youre a college grad this is a waste of your time but they try to draw you in anyways and market the job in a way that will get the max amount of people applying so you can make them money and fill the revolving door of employees. The only reason they care about you making money is because half of it goes in their pockets.

Nice & motivating people but the ones who take this seriously are brainwashed because thats the only way to keep chugging along. I couldnt take it seriously for more than 3 days in the field. Walk into a Home Depot between the hours of 1-7 on a weekday and tell me you can get 2-4 people to sign up for a cabinet refacing consultation EVERYDAY. In the SAME locations as the week before. Its for people with absolutely no skill set (besides talking) that are looking to make something look good on a resume and dont care about spending money on gas or the wear and tear you put on your car. Read the other reviews and you'll see this is the same thing all over the nation, but you dont find out until its too late.

Advice to Management

Dont lie in recruiting. You're altering lives here. Be upfront and find people that arent going to bail once they realize the truth. This is the Multi Level Marketing poster child

"An unfortunate MLM model"

I worked at Smart Circle full-time

Pros

Flexible hours and sales techniques as well as management training were great tools to learn.

Cons

The pay was not enough to live off of and you were basically selling the products to make those above you the bulk of the money from those sales. The office environment and everyday rituals were unorthodox and unhelpful.

8. "Smart Circle - Great Opportunity and Place to Work!"

I have been working at Smart Circle full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunity for advancement
    Big name clients to work for
    Unique industry

Cons

Challenging work, can be intense at times

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Would be nice to have more clients in sports space.

"Capitalist Cult"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Sherman Oaks, CA

I worked at Smart Circle part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Got to learn what a scam looks like.

Cons

It is a cult based on worship of the management as well as of exploitation. They make you perform rituals to brainwash you into staying with a company that will make you no money and give you no path forward, though they will promise this to you.

Advice to Management

Zig Ziglar is not a prophet.

"Event Coordinator"

Former Employee - Event Coordinator in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Event Coordinator in Louisville, KY

I worked at Smart Circle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some parts of the atmosphere were uplifting and motivating - I liked the people I worked with.

Cons

Long hours, pyramid scheme, overworked ... I was supposed to be an intern and was working over 60 hours a week... I ended up giving two weeks and the manager was trying to emotionally manipulate me to stay - do not recommend working for this business. Also, they don't even tell you that they are owned by Smart Circle so it's impossible to know until you're too far into the business.