Smart Energy Water Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.2
Deepak Garg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Working for Smart Utility Systems has been both exciting and developmental for my areas of focus (in 6 reviews)

• It would be easier to find a needle in a haystack at the bottom of the ocean than a good reason to work for this company (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't expect to have any work/life balance, emails should be responded to immediately, be it 6AM or 11PM (in 7 reviews)

• Bad Management , no work life balance (in 5 reviews)

"Great Career Move!"

I have been working at Smart Energy Water full-time

Pros

It is such a breath of fresh air to work for a company that truly embraces and listens to their employees and in turn tries to make improvements to set everyone up for success. Not only this, but they go out of their way to celebrate each individual person and where they are from, what they believe in and how they celebrate, which makes people feel even that more at home! We recently just celebrated Diwali in the office and it was AMAZING learning and being a part of a different culture. It was heartwarming to see everyone so passionate about teaching us more, and we do this for all celebrations throughout the year! Every Friday, we get together as a team to talk about what is happening in all departments which keeps everyone in the loop. At these "Smart Fridays" it is so wonderful hearing our CEO Deepak speak to us about his vision of our company and hear how truly thankful for what everyone brings to the team! I am looking forward to many more years to come and many more celebrations with my new family!

Cons

Since we are growing at such a fast pace, there may be times where we work longer hours and have to meet quick deadlines but it is all for the success and growth of the company

"Needs a lot of improvement"

I have been working at Smart Energy Water full-time

Pros

The idea behind the product is excellent.

Cons

The CEO/Founder is praised for being the first one in and the last one out, but that's more so he can track who's coming in early and staying late.

If you don't work at least 10 hours a day, you are looked down on by upper management because you don't care enough about the company. Don't expect to have any work/life balance, emails should be responded to immediately, be it 6AM or 11PM. They have meetings every day, a few times a day, to discuss everything that is going wrong, instead of just fixing the issues.

Of all the meetings that happen, and there are a lot, you will spend your time pointing fingers for any issue and patting management on the back for anything that happens to be working for that day.

The application, it is some of the most poorly written code you can find. The developers are all off-shore, most have degrees in unrelated fields, took a 2 hour long .net class and are brought on. If you happen to look in the code, you will find things are copy/paste from sites teaching you how to code. There is copyright information on the application that was a copy/paste, then find/replace with the company name, but still has references to the original company it was taken from.

Turn over at the company is almost comical, you will see and forget new faces every week. They should be celebrating when a new employee hits 3 months because it doesn't happen often.

When interviewing, they will tell you whatever you want to hear, to get you in.

Advice to Management

Focus on the employee, they are making the business happen. Hire properly trained employees, spend a little extra and get a better result. Stop with all of the meetings, they waste time and help no one. HR needs to spend more time with each employee to really understand the issues and help change things. The CEO needs to take a step back and get the right people.

"Pathetic Company and People"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Smart Energy Water full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing Absolutely for everything is horrible here

Cons

This is the worst place to work with. Go with the negative reviews if you want to save yourself. Positive reviews are as fake as the people who run this weird place. Starting from top down people are pathetic in the first order. They traumatized me so much that even after all these years I cannot speak confidently in front of a crowd. The CEO is the absolute worst of the lot!

Advice to Management

Please shut down and go away!

"Does not care about employee growth or retention"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Smart Energy Water full-time

Pros

Good for learning the ropes

Cons

low pay, not enough benefits, bad work culture

Advice to Management

There is no organization or system followed in how work is done. Team cooperation is a challenge. management exacerbates the problem. In a negative environment, people are invested only in blaming each other to save their own hides and an organization that supports such a culture is not a place for constructive development or mental sanity.

"Might as well work at McDonald’s for min wage...it all would add up to be the same and you would still have a life..."

Pros

The concierge that opens the door for you before you get inside the building...they make you feel good for a split second of your morning.

Cons

Everything about this place; they will take all of your self worth and confidence and crush it to make you feel like you have “no intelligence” and try to manipulate you and work you to death so you can prove yourself to a CEO
    that finds pleasure making people feel bad about themselves

Advice to Management

Have a heart and appreciate human beings for the work they do

"Worst company to work for"

I worked at Smart Energy Water full-time

Pros

Nothing, I can think about

Cons

No transparency, No Professionalism at all levels, No trust for very old employees

Advice to Management

If things do not change, very soon you will need to change the company name again.

"The most unorganized company with a horrible business culture!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Smart Energy Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met some very talented people in my team who I have learned a lot from. The core purpose of this company has potential for being something great.

Cons

Where do I start...
    - No structure: Upper Management has no actual skills to properly lead. They make promises to clients without checking their resources or proper planning. They spout out orders without proper research, timeframes, or information and expect you to figure it out.
    - Horrible company culture: No work life balance, it’s frowned upon if you don’t work overtime. Vacations are difficult to take for most and you are seen as uncommitted if you take one. We have Smart Hangouts Friday evening at the end of the day to make sure people stay the full day. These meetings offer no real value to employees and turn into a platform for management to pat themselves on the back.
    - Below market pay: Most people can barely afford to live in the area and are making well under value. Not to mention most work long hours and are not compensated properly.
    - Broken products: Management won’t step back to fix the real issues. There is no proper roadmap or planning for releases. New design and features are quickly decided with little market and user research. No real timeframes are decided upon because they need everything ASAP for a trade show or client proposal. All the Dev team is offshore, but there is no structure or leadership there. No real quality check and our product is built less than 40% correct.
    - Marketing: They are offshore. We have no real marketing campaigns, they do not understand our market. No planning for trade shows so everything is rushed and poorly executed.

Advice to Management

Stop the facade and really fix the issues. You are not a startup anymore and can’t do everything on the fly. You need proper leadership in the right places and training for management to become better leaders. Trust your employees and their knowledge, utilize them properly. You hired them for a reason now let them shine and add value to your company. Take the time to properly plan, working harder does not mean working more, it means working smarter. This will cut out a lot of unnecessary long hours and employees will be happier. Allow for proper work life balance. You can’t expect loyalty if you don’t respect employees personal time. You need marketing and dev onshore, they need to be in the main office for quicker turn around and better communication. Fix these issues before it’s to late, this company has potential.

"Stay Away or you will Quit Anyway"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Irvine, CA

I worked at Smart Energy Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is no Pros at this company!

Cons

The ownership and management are liars here. They are also very raciest unless you are Indian. If you are white, do not apply!

Advice to Management

Close Down and Start Up again somewhere else. Oh, wait you already did that.

"Con Artists! I'll give them this-perfect new company name: it's pure SEWage!"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Smart Energy Water full-time

Pros

It would be easier to find a needle in a haystack at the bottom of the ocean than a good reason to work for this company.

Cons

SUS changed to SEW because of the bad reputation with customers in the industry. Company sells demos but they can't deliver and implement a product because one does not exist. The company and CEO are all about optics, have no substance.

It looks like they are back to their old game from SUS, where marketing and HR posts fake positive reviews. Look at the last two on 10/25 - same syntax and thought expression.

CEO calls his company "Smart" to compensate for personal shortcomings.

Toxic culture, control freak CEO.

It's only a matter of time before this company suffers the rightful legal repercussions.

Advice to Management

If only.

"Trust the Glassdoor reviews"

I worked at Smart Energy Water full-time

Pros

Unfortunately no - the office building amenities I guess

Cons

I tried to ignore the glass door reviews. Didn't last long here and looked for something else within 2 weeks. No organization, no structure, no communication, and looking back seems like a sketchy business especially that they have currently changed their name. TRUST THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS.