Smart Energy Water Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 19, 2018

3.2
Deepak Garg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is no Pros at this company" (in 8 reviews)

• "It would be easier to find a needle in a haystack at the bottom of the ocean than a good reason to work for this company" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Don't expect to have any work/life balance, emails should be responded to immediately, be it 6AM or 11PM" (in 9 reviews)

• "Bad Management , no work life balance" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Tremendous Potential"

I have been working at Smart Energy Water full-time

Pros

- Tremendous potential in products addressing market needs
     - Vastly improved company culture

My experience at SEW has been professionally and personally rewarding but with challenges. Having worked at high growth companies, my expectations were in alignment with the environment I have experienced. The company has been making changes, all of which are having positive effects throughout the company. I would be happy to speak about my experiences to any potential employee. I have read some of the reviews online and I think the company just deserves a fair chance.

Cons

- Need more mentoring of junior team members
     - With growth, need to scale internal teams faster to alleviate bottlenecks

Senior management need to find the time to move away from their individual contributor duties and spend time with junior team members. Doing so will allow these younger team members to truly take advantage of the opportunity at the company to learn and grow professionally.

Advice to Management

The company has been growing and as such, with that comes certain challenges. Management has been doing a good job of trying to bring in new team members to alleviate growth challenges, but "A" team players are still needed. Keep making improvements as I have seen the effects - but more has to be done – I am confident these steps will be taken.

Sep 11, 2018 – Human Resources

Hello. We appreciate your suggestions. Thank you for your review and your valuable insight!

2. "Operations of Excellence"

I have been working at Smart Energy Water full-time

Pros

Here at Smart Energy Water there is constant growth, change, and upward momentum. Working for this company has helped develop my professional business skills as well as my personal life skills because of the constant challenge to raise the bar and strive for better systems and services. There are such optimistic people here, I still get blown away by the talent and creativity of people I work with every day. There is tremendous growth and opportunities such as, sharing ideas, developing ideas, managing, leading, joining other teams, expanding and gaining experience in other projects/ products…and much more. Smart Energy Water; is a wonderful place to gain experience and learn tremendously. From learning one platform to the next and gaining experience in technological software platforms. What I can tell you is, Smart Energy Water has a Mind of A Genius!

Cons

Some growing grains to be expected but “just the right amount” of process and standardization

Advice to Management

Management is doing an excellent job bringing new team members on board. The teams are growing tremendously. Please continue to hire more, especially for those that are in need, ‘the bottle necks’.

Nov 6, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you, we appreciate your wonderful feedback. SEW will continue to add more talented individuals to our team so that we can continue our success!

"low pay, friendly team, cheap management"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Smart Energy Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very good location and city

Cons

no learning environment and you will do what ever comes up

Advice to Management

think like Americans so you can create positive attitude in your company

"Don’t trust the positive reviews. Those are being posted by HR"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Smart Energy Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is absolutely no Pros other than meeting very few talented and awesome colleagues (very few)

Cons

The CEO is the most uneducated, unprofessional and racist person I’ve ever seen in my life! HR follows the CEO in being very unprofessional. The company literally lies to the clients and rip them off by selling them broken products. I feel so sorry for the people who are trapped in that company.

Only couple of folks are growing in the company with no justification because they are CEO’s favorites!

You will either trust the negative reviews which are absolutely true, or you will start working in the company and regret your decision in the first week of joining.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately as long as the CEO remains the same, there is no hope for this company.

Aug 3, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Smart Energy Water does not tolerate discrimination of any kind by any employee, including leadership. HR does not post any false reviews of the company. Thank you.

"Challenging but rewarding"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Smart Energy Water full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started my job 5+ years back when company was small but what i liked the team as they were very focus to work on challenges and provide solution. I start working hard in SEW which was not easy but I am able to make it.
    I seen growth like I never seen from 10 people to hundreds of employees/clients and lot of new opportunities and growth for me and others.

Cons

Company hired good amount of junior resource and not everybody was able to match what is /was required by company which really created a balance issue with in our team as some team members were working very hard and some were on learning curve.

Advice to Management

Please hire more higher skilled team members to avoid our past problems.

"sales"

Pros

nice office location. Friday food vendors are great.

Cons

Do yourself a favor and read all the reviews before considering working there or purchasing anything from them. The CEO is unprofessional. He has no regard for others and will make you feel unappreciated and call you uneducated. I think it’s safe to say myself and others can go on and on about this place but to keep it short and sweet just STAY AWAY.

Jul 31, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review. SEW maintains a respectful and professional culture at all times, employees should reach out to HR, if they have any concerns. Thank you for your feedback.

"Hard working people and growing company. Not everyone makes the cut - see reviews below"

Former Employee - Sales in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Irvine, CA

I worked at Smart Energy Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Room to Grow
    - Can move to new roles
    - Changing environment
    - Something new everyday
    - Fast-paced
    - Industry Leader
    - Great People
    - Opportunity for good pay
    - Great facility, with restaurant and gym available
    - Lenient with travel and PTO
    - Hangouts and free food sometimes

Cons

- Resources are tight - but they are always hiring
    - Management styles can vary
    - Management can improve by listening to feedback of employees
    - Bottlenecks !!
    - People don't always work because you do have to perform and there are negative reviews like the ones below

Advice to Management

Work on listening to employees and clients to keep them and fix bottle necks.

Jul 31, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback, it is very much appreciated. As we continue to grow, we will continue to make improvements for our employees and our clients. We value your feedback.

"Would not recommend"

I worked at Smart Energy Water full-time

Pros

Nice location and very friendly colleagues.

Cons

Product isn't built to the standard that is sold to the market. Difficult to sell but impossible to implement with a happy client in the end which tears down team morale.
    Speaking of team morale, the employees are treated as machines and are expected to work 24/7. But the issue here is there is only fluff to work on. Ideas thrown out in meetings that take priority over work in progress time after time which leads to many promises (internally and externally) with no real results.
    Overall a confusing and demoralizing place to work.

Advice to Management

Value your employees.
    Follow through with the actions suggested in the long and frequent meetings.
    Learn to prioritize and communicate honestly.

Jul 31, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate any input where we can improve. We are sorry to hear that you feel this way. We believe that as we continue to innovate our technology and improve our... More

"READY TO GO BELLY-UP!"

Former Employee - Director in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Irvine, CA

I worked at Smart Energy Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only Pro for this company is the building and location.. But even that is not enough to overcome the damage it will do to your sanity.

Cons

MANAGEMENT! Starting at the top with the CEO. All development is done off-shore so you not only have to work your regular 10-12 hour day in the office, but then you have to be available to review requirements and development with the off-shore team (usually around midnight US time).

Advice to Management

Admit the failure - go get a real job.

Jul 31, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate any suggestions for improvement from our employees, current and former. The company is meeting demands of utilities worldwide and we expect to meet those... More

"Needs a lot of improvement"

I have been working at Smart Energy Water full-time

Pros

The idea behind the product is excellent.

Cons

The CEO/Founder is praised for being the first one in and the last one out, but that's more so he can track who's coming in early and staying late.

If you don't work at least 10 hours a day, you are looked down on by upper management because you don't care enough about the company. Don't expect to have any work/life balance, emails should be responded to immediately, be it 6AM or 11PM. They have meetings every day, a few times a day, to discuss everything that is going wrong, instead of just fixing the issues.

Of all the meetings that happen, and there are a lot, you will spend your time pointing fingers for any issue and patting management on the back for anything that happens to be working for that day.

The application, it is some of the most poorly written code you can find. The developers are all off-shore, most have degrees in unrelated fields, took a 2 hour long .net class and are brought on. If you happen to look in the code, you will find things are copy/paste from sites teaching you how to code. There is copyright information on the application that was a copy/paste, then find/replace with the company name, but still has references to the original company it was taken from.

Turn over at the company is almost comical, you will see and forget new faces every week. They should be celebrating when a new employee hits 3 months because it doesn't happen often.

When interviewing, they will tell you whatever you want to hear, to get you in.

Advice to Management

Focus on the employee, they are making the business happen. Hire properly trained employees, spend a little extra and get a better result. Stop with all of the meetings, they waste time and help no one. HR needs to spend more time with each employee to really understand the issues and help change things. The CEO needs to take a step back and get the right people.

Jul 31, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We value our employees on-shore and off-site; they are talented engineers and we acknowledge that no manager or employee at SEW is perfect. We are a young... More