Smart Energy Water Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Deepak Garg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Working for Smart Utility Systems has been both exciting and developmental for my areas of focus (in 6 reviews)

• Since the company is growing so quickly, I'm able to work on a variety of tasks, so the day is never monotonous (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad Management , no work life balance (in 6 reviews)

• This company used to be called 'Smart Utility Systems' and now they have rebranded themselves to 'SEW' (in 5 reviews)

"Great Career Move!"

I have been working at Smart Energy Water full-time

Pros

It is such a breath of fresh air to work for a company that truly embraces and listens to their employees and in turn tries to make improvements to set everyone up for success. Not only this, but they go out of their way to celebrate each individual person and where they are from, what they believe in and how they celebrate, which makes people feel even that more at home! We recently just celebrated Diwali in the office and it was AMAZING learning and being a part of a different culture. It was heartwarming to see everyone so passionate about teaching us more, and we do this for all celebrations throughout the year! Every Friday, we get together as a team to talk about what is happening in all departments which keeps everyone in the loop. At these "Smart Fridays" it is so wonderful hearing our CEO Deepak speak to us about his vision of our company and hear how truly thankful for what everyone brings to the team! I am looking forward to many more years to come and many more celebrations with my new family!

Cons

Since we are growing at such a fast pace, there may be times where we work longer hours and have to meet quick deadlines but it is all for the success and growth of the company

"The most unorganized company with a horrible business culture!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Smart Energy Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met some very talented people in my team who I have learned a lot from. The core purpose of this company has potential for being something great.

Cons

Where do I start...
    - No structure: Upper Management has no actual skills to properly lead. They make promises to clients without checking their resources or proper planning. They spout out orders without proper research, timeframes, or information and expect you to figure it out.
    - Horrible company culture: No work life balance, it’s frowned upon if you don’t work overtime. Vacations are difficult to take for most and you are seen as uncommitted if you take one. We have Smart Hangouts Friday evening at the end of the day to make sure people stay the full day. These meetings offer no real value to employees and turn into a platform for management to pat themselves on the back.
    - Below market pay: Most people can barely afford to live in the area and are making well under value. Not to mention most work long hours and are not compensated properly.
    - Broken products: Management won’t step back to fix the real issues. There is no proper roadmap or planning for releases. New design and features are quickly decided with little market and user research. No real timeframes are decided upon because they need everything ASAP for a trade show or client proposal. All the Dev team is offshore, but there is no structure or leadership there. No real quality check and our product is built less than 40% correct.
    - Marketing: They are offshore. We have no real marketing campaigns, they do not understand our market. No planning for trade shows so everything is rushed and poorly executed.

Advice to Management

Stop the facade and really fix the issues. You are not a startup anymore and can’t do everything on the fly. You need proper leadership in the right places and training for management to become better leaders. Trust your employees and their knowledge, utilize them properly. You hired them for a reason now let them shine and add value to your company. Take the time to properly plan, working harder does not mean working more, it means working smarter. This will cut out a lot of unnecessary long hours and employees will be happier. Allow for proper work life balance. You can’t expect loyalty if you don’t respect employees personal time. You need marketing and dev onshore, they need to be in the main office for quicker turn around and better communication. Fix these issues before it’s to late, this company has potential.

"Stay Away or you will Quit Anyway"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Irvine, CA

I worked at Smart Energy Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is no Pros at this company!

Cons

The ownership and management are liars here. They are also very raciest unless you are Indian. If you are white, do not apply!

Advice to Management

Close Down and Start Up again somewhere else. Oh, wait you already did that.

"Horrible Company"

I worked at Smart Energy Water full-time

Pros

Not much to write about here. Met some good people while I worked there.

Cons

Should of taken the negative reviews from others more seriously. Company recently changed named from Smart Utility Systems (SUS) to Smart Energy Water (SEW), probably due to the poor reputation they were getting in the industry. High rate of turn over, never have I experienced a company with such a revolving door. The solutions they are selling are half baked. The demo builds work well but the actual production builds are inoperable. Look up the solutions (Smart Energy Systems) in the app stores and you’ll find they have horrible user review or nonexistent reviews. Lots of nepotism and a very cliquish culture. Don’t try to take time off because it is frowned upon. You will have to work after hours to work with their India team. The team in India creates a lot more problems than fixing anything. I’ve tried to bring up company issues to help fix them but they go ignored. It would take a miracle to turn this company around.

Advice to Management

Hire onshore engineers and fix what you have sold to your customers.

"Con Artists! I'll give them this-perfect new company name: it's pure SEWage!"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Smart Energy Water full-time

Pros

It would be easier to find a needle in a haystack at the bottom of the ocean than a good reason to work for this company.

Cons

SUS changed to SEW because of the bad reputation with customers in the industry. Company sells demos but they can't deliver and implement a product because one does not exist. The company and CEO are all about optics, have no substance.

It looks like they are back to their old game from SUS, where marketing and HR posts fake positive reviews. Look at the last two on 10/25 - same syntax and thought expression.

CEO calls his company "Smart" to compensate for personal shortcomings.

Toxic culture, control freak CEO.

It's only a matter of time before this company suffers the rightful legal repercussions.

Advice to Management

If only.

"Trust the Glassdoor reviews"

I worked at Smart Energy Water full-time

Pros

Unfortunately no - the office building amenities I guess

Cons

I tried to ignore the glass door reviews. Didn't last long here and looked for something else within 2 weeks. No organization, no structure, no communication, and looking back seems like a sketchy business especially that they have currently changed their name. TRUST THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS.

"A big NO-NO"

I worked at Smart Energy Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing in particular for your professional growth, however you will get to know few nice people who are suffering in the same way exactly as you are by working here

Cons

Too many to be jotted down here:
    NO work life balance at all.
    Even if you work out of your scope to get the things done, there will be someone else(pre-decided) waiting to take credit for it.
    Meetings are considered as favorite time pass for these guys - hours and hours of extraordinary ideas and feedback from the team members after which everybody will end up in forgetting what has been discussed during the meeting.
    Useless offshore team(by this I do not mean to say they are dumb), however they are useless for this company in their so called implementations.
    Hours and hours of offshore calls and finally blaming them for every mistake during the go lives.
    Special mention for the HR team - most funniest troop on the floor. Creating so much hype in and around office premises, but not at all useful for the employees/organization at the end of the day.
    'Work from Home' is considered to be against so called protocol. However, few people from higher management can work from home unofficially whenever they want and can get paid too.
    Even if you are sick by any means, you are expected to take calls and respond to emails.
    Too much of micro management, which would be disgusting for the employees after a certain level of extent
    No useful help from senior management. They will try to impose some stupid suggestions on you but nothing technical.
    Last but not least, try to change the way management is right now at least then you would see some good rays of hope coming your way.

Advice to Management

Please shut down the company and release all the slaves who are imprisoned there

"Stay Away! They sell Vaporware, impossible to Deliver Software that doesn't exist"

Former Employee - Implementation Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Implementation Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Smart Energy Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice building to work in (Irvine location), Nice view from the office

Cons

Pretty much everything. I read the glassdoor reviews and tried to ignore them but they are literally all true. If there is a positive one- it was written by someone in HR trying to save place. I predict bankruptcy in <3 years

Advice to Management

CEO needs to stay out of the business and go play with his cars, stop lying to people... Also, 10 good onshore developers will far better work than 300+ incompetent offshore developers, stop buying awards

"The works from an ex-insider"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Smart Energy Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None I can think of

Cons

* Super secretive about finances. Nobody knows how much $ is in the kitty
    * 50% of the office space is empty
    * CEO rants in every meeting
    * There are about 30 to 40 employees. There are THREE HR folks
    * When they say they want a Product Manager, they mean to say, they want an offshore manager. Problem is: The main Technical Guy "M" will not mentor anybody else and he has tight controls over every aspect of offshore work. This is his way of ensuring job security. He will never spend time with you.
    * I initially connected well with D, the CEO. He has unrealistic expectations of a Product Manager. I created some new experiences and business models. I put my heart and soul in it. During the course of doing that, I asked for specific cost aspects. I think they find it very sensitive. He didn't even care to discuss it, after 3 meeting invites.
    * I read all the Glassdoor reviews before I went there for an interview. I was not impressed. I asked questions about it during the interview. They then told me that things have changed. In the last 2 weeks, 5 people quit
    * If your destiny is such that you *have* to work here, take it and line up a job
    * The environment is very tightly controlled. Except for the UI/UX and Sales folks, people don't even laugh at work. Very edgy environment
    * During lunch hour, people play ping pong and loosen up. The employees are nice and respectful folks
    * If you have an innovative bent of mind, don't go there. Period
    * Pay stub: Say you start work on 1st. *Every* company I know, pays you by 15th of that month, right? Not this one. They pay you on 26th - that is barely legal timeline to pay the Employees. They stretch the cash flow by delaying your pay!!!
    * They announced a bunch of promotions last week. Not clear if it is meant to boost people's morale. Don't bet on a pay hike
    * It is also an utterly chaotic environment. There is no orderly way of having meetings. It is seat of the pants and meetings never happen. Not sure if Agile is followed. Most developers are in India - they are utterly demotivated
    * "It is chaos. But the work gets done" is what one of the Sr. Mgmt guys told me
    * If you work here, expect to put in 16 to 18 hours of work because of offshore situation
    * Just not a comfortable environment to work. I felt edgy there
    * The main technical guy is a super-man - he puts in 20 hours of work everyday. I have no idea how he does. He is super controlling though. Nobody knows the entire aspects of the SaaS except him. He likes to keep everything under tight control, making his job very secure
    * If you have no other job, then take this
    * If you are confident of your skills, you don't want to work here
    * People talk in hush hush tones

Advice to Management

Be fair!

"Beware not a place for career minded people"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Smart Energy Water full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice Building and coffee shop in the basement.

Cons

Company is an illusion everything is designed to make you think there is a real business. The company will claim a 100 + customer but after 2 years I can only account for less than 25. CEO believes he can buy anyone if you plan on leaving he will offer you more money to keep you and if you accept his offer within 60 days he will fire you for being un-loyal. He loves giving out titles instead of money no one in this company has ever made their quota because they make the quotas totally unmake able so they can save money and the CEO can buy another sports car. The whole company is designed to try to sell to a sucker like SAP or Oracle, IBM. The big sales pitch is we will be bigger than Google or Salesforce. Management is weak and totally hoping one day they will be bought out so they can get rid of the CEO. Average manager last about 60 days my last two lasted 30 days. Management has no time to work with the people because they have their own quotas. So if you are working on a deal and they think it is real they will fire you and take the deal this has happen dozens of time. Beware is all I have to say.

Advice to Management

Go out of business and do the world a favor!!!