Smart Energy Water Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Deepak Garg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Working for Smart Utility Systems has been both exciting and developmental for my areas of focus (in 6 reviews)

• It would be easier to find a needle in a haystack at the bottom of the ocean than a good reason to work for this company (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • This company used to be called 'Smart Utility Systems' and now they have rebranded themselves to 'SEW' (in 5 reviews)

• Bad Management , no work life balance (in 5 reviews)

"Great Career Move!"

I have been working at Smart Energy Water full-time

Pros

It is such a breath of fresh air to work for a company that truly embraces and listens to their employees and in turn tries to make improvements to set everyone up for success. Not only this, but they go out of their way to celebrate each individual person and where they are from, what they believe in and how they celebrate, which makes people feel even that more at home! We recently just celebrated Diwali in the office and it was AMAZING learning and being a part of a different culture. It was heartwarming to see everyone so passionate about teaching us more, and we do this for all celebrations throughout the year! Every Friday, we get together as a team to talk about what is happening in all departments which keeps everyone in the loop. At these "Smart Fridays" it is so wonderful hearing our CEO Deepak speak to us about his vision of our company and hear how truly thankful for what everyone brings to the team! I am looking forward to many more years to come and many more celebrations with my new family!

Cons

Since we are growing at such a fast pace, there may be times where we work longer hours and have to meet quick deadlines but it is all for the success and growth of the company

2. "Not the company I interviewed with"

I worked at Smart Energy Water full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people - The actual people that are keeping this company afloat, this company does find some of the best people in the industry however they are unable to keep them.

The potential - There is a huge amount of potential for this company, the products could be so much better and extremely useful. With a change of leadership this could be a fantastic company.

Cons

All the following issues were brought to the company and time given to address them:

Pay is not competitive - Pay structure or lack thereof is not competitive in the local market, pay is only half of the local average. Hired as a Graphic Designer to do the work of a UX/UI Designer, very different skillset, very different salary requirements. If you are applying here make sure you research the local averages for the position and force them to be competitive.

Leadership - The CEO, in my opinion, is a salesman first and foremost, his heart is in the right place but he is not a leader and has no experience running a company. None of senior management actually operate as such, decisions must all go through the CEO. This company was meant to be bought and sold, and now that no one is interested they have rebranded and brought in a professional HR “fixer” to find the faults and improve the relationship between the company and its employees. She has a tough job ahead of her but seems more than capable, just depends on if the leadership follows her recommendations.

Lack of Professionalism - Meeting requests are ignored, emails are overlooked, concerns are not addressed. Promises are made and broken. Meeting times seem to be fluid, usually a meeting time is set in stone, in other companies anyways. Every meeting I attended I usually arrived 5 minutes early and waited up to 20 mins after for the rest of the attendees.

Morale - Morale is extremely low, new hires are leaving after two weeks, I would estimate that over 50% of employees are actively searching for other employment options. The last 10 hires it seems have all been at Director level or above. “Smart Fridays” seem like attempts to get employees to stick around and open up, they are forced and monitored. Leave early and the CEO notices. There was literally one Smart Friday where the CEO chewed out all the employees. Everyone seems to speak in hushed tones, a lot of fear of the CEO who is actually a very nice guy.

Opportunity for growth - There is none. There is no structure and no direction. You are capped in earnings the moment you take the offered salary, reviews are none existent and when you request one you are ignored or overlooked. No goals are set other than what you set yourself, even the company's goals are a closely guarded secret. Many employees are simply collecting a paycheck and put in the minimum amount of work.

Product - The design team puts out amazing products that are handed over to the offshore development team to become something entirely different. There doesn't seem to be a stable build, each client/customer gets a completely slapped together product that barely functions, there is segments of code left in the products that aren't even used, causing issues and slowing the load times. This is likely all caused by the Chief Product Officer. He keeps tight control over the development of the products and doesn't trust the expertise of his employees. There seems to be no product testing of any kind, no way to gauge the effectiveness or get usability feedback before releasing unfinished and broken products to customers.

Expertise - No trust, employees are constantly asked for opinions of which they are experts on and promptly ignored. Terms are thrown around the office that make people seem like they know what they are talking about, when they really have no idea.

Advice to Management

For the Company: Address the concerns of your employees, listen to them and fight for them. Build a stable product and deliver on what you are selling. Apply actual user experience strategies to your products instead of going for the quick and dirty sales. When you have a superior product that users will actually enjoy using you won't have to sell so hard, or use cheap and dirty tricks. Set obtainable goals: “Being the next Google” is very noble but is hardly obtainable, try to actually be transparent with your employees and your clients. I suggest that you stop sales immediately and focus on finishing the client builds that you currently have to make sure that you retain them.

To prospective employees: Research the company, read the reviews, and ask the tough questions in your interview. The company and vision that was portrayed to me in my interview is not the company I worked for. Make an informed decision.

Hope the company makes the changes to turn itself around and succeed.

"Con Artists! I'll give them this-perfect new company name: it's pure SEWage!"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Smart Energy Water full-time

Pros

It would be easier to find a needle in a haystack at the bottom of the ocean than a good reason to work for this company.

Cons

SUS changed to SEW because of the bad reputation with customers in the industry. Company sells demos but they can't deliver and implement a product because one does not exist. The company and CEO are all about optics, have no substance.

It looks like they are back to their old game from SUS, where marketing and HR posts fake positive reviews. Look at the last two on 10/25 - same syntax and thought expression.

CEO calls his company "Smart" to compensate for personal shortcomings.

Toxic culture, control freak CEO.

It's only a matter of time before this company suffers the rightful legal repercussions.

Advice to Management

If only.

"SEW and SUS"

I worked at Smart Energy Water full-time

Pros

This SEW company name has been in existence for less than one year.

Cons

Smart Energy Water (SEW) was formerly Smart Utility Systems (SUS). SEW was created in 2017 because the SUS company was getting a really poor reputation in the industry. Company embellishes their accomplishments and misrepresents itself. Fear based management with no real execution. Internal meetings are rarely run on time. No actions after these wasteful meetings. Lots of good ideas but poor execution. Lots of nepotism within the company. Horrible company culture with events that make everyone feel awkward. Revolving door with most under one year of employment. SEW should add the er at the end because it is a SEWER.

Advice to Management

Disolve and move on.

"Trust the Glassdoor reviews"

I worked at Smart Energy Water full-time

Pros

Unfortunately no - the office building amenities I guess

Cons

I tried to ignore the glass door reviews. Didn't last long here and looked for something else within 2 weeks. No organization, no structure, no communication, and looking back seems like a sketchy business especially that they have currently changed their name. TRUST THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS.

"A big NO-NO"

I worked at Smart Energy Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing in particular for your professional growth, however you will get to know few nice people who are suffering in the same way exactly as you are by working here

Cons

Too many to be jotted down here:
    NO work life balance at all.
    Even if you work out of your scope to get the things done, there will be someone else(pre-decided) waiting to take credit for it.
    Meetings are considered as favorite time pass for these guys - hours and hours of extraordinary ideas and feedback from the team members after which everybody will end up in forgetting what has been discussed during the meeting.
    Useless offshore team(by this I do not mean to say they are dumb), however they are useless for this company in their so called implementations.
    Hours and hours of offshore calls and finally blaming them for every mistake during the go lives.
    Special mention for the HR team - most funniest troop on the floor. Creating so much hype in and around office premises, but not at all useful for the employees/organization at the end of the day.
    'Work from Home' is considered to be against so called protocol. However, few people from higher management can work from home unofficially whenever they want and can get paid too.
    Even if you are sick by any means, you are expected to take calls and respond to emails.
    Too much of micro management, which would be disgusting for the employees after a certain level of extent
    No useful help from senior management. They will try to impose some stupid suggestions on you but nothing technical.
    Last but not least, try to change the way management is right now at least then you would see some good rays of hope coming your way.

Advice to Management

Please shut down the company and release all the slaves who are imprisoned there

"Stay Away! They sell Vaporware, impossible to Deliver Software that doesn't exist"

Former Employee - Implementation Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Implementation Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Smart Energy Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice building to work in (Irvine location), Nice view from the office

Cons

Pretty much everything. I read the glassdoor reviews and tried to ignore them but they are literally all true. If there is a positive one- it was written by someone in HR trying to save place. I predict bankruptcy in <3 years

Advice to Management

CEO needs to stay out of the business and go play with his cars, stop lying to people... Also, 10 good onshore developers will far better work than 300+ incompetent offshore developers, stop buying awards

"The works from an ex-insider"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Smart Energy Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None I can think of

Cons

* Super secretive about finances. Nobody knows how much $ is in the kitty
    * 50% of the office space is empty
    * CEO rants in every meeting
    * There are about 30 to 40 employees. There are THREE HR folks
    * When they say they want a Product Manager, they mean to say, they want an offshore manager. Problem is: The main Technical Guy "M" will not mentor anybody else and he has tight controls over every aspect of offshore work. This is his way of ensuring job security. He will never spend time with you.
    * I initially connected well with D, the CEO. He has unrealistic expectations of a Product Manager. I created some new experiences and business models. I put my heart and soul in it. During the course of doing that, I asked for specific cost aspects. I think they find it very sensitive. He didn't even care to discuss it, after 3 meeting invites.
    * I read all the Glassdoor reviews before I went there for an interview. I was not impressed. I asked questions about it during the interview. They then told me that things have changed. In the last 2 weeks, 5 people quit
    * If your destiny is such that you *have* to work here, take it and line up a job
    * The environment is very tightly controlled. Except for the UI/UX and Sales folks, people don't even laugh at work. Very edgy environment
    * During lunch hour, people play ping pong and loosen up. The employees are nice and respectful folks
    * If you have an innovative bent of mind, don't go there. Period
    * Pay stub: Say you start work on 1st. *Every* company I know, pays you by 15th of that month, right? Not this one. They pay you on 26th - that is barely legal timeline to pay the Employees. They stretch the cash flow by delaying your pay!!!
    * They announced a bunch of promotions last week. Not clear if it is meant to boost people's morale. Don't bet on a pay hike
    * It is also an utterly chaotic environment. There is no orderly way of having meetings. It is seat of the pants and meetings never happen. Not sure if Agile is followed. Most developers are in India - they are utterly demotivated
    * "It is chaos. But the work gets done" is what one of the Sr. Mgmt guys told me
    * If you work here, expect to put in 16 to 18 hours of work because of offshore situation
    * Just not a comfortable environment to work. I felt edgy there
    * The main technical guy is a super-man - he puts in 20 hours of work everyday. I have no idea how he does. He is super controlling though. Nobody knows the entire aspects of the SaaS except him. He likes to keep everything under tight control, making his job very secure
    * If you have no other job, then take this
    * If you are confident of your skills, you don't want to work here
    * People talk in hush hush tones

Advice to Management

Be fair!

"Beware not a place for career minded people"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Smart Energy Water full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice Building and coffee shop in the basement.

Cons

Company is an illusion everything is designed to make you think there is a real business. The company will claim a 100 + customer but after 2 years I can only account for less than 25. CEO believes he can buy anyone if you plan on leaving he will offer you more money to keep you and if you accept his offer within 60 days he will fire you for being un-loyal. He loves giving out titles instead of money no one in this company has ever made their quota because they make the quotas totally unmake able so they can save money and the CEO can buy another sports car. The whole company is designed to try to sell to a sucker like SAP or Oracle, IBM. The big sales pitch is we will be bigger than Google or Salesforce. Management is weak and totally hoping one day they will be bought out so they can get rid of the CEO. Average manager last about 60 days my last two lasted 30 days. Management has no time to work with the people because they have their own quotas. So if you are working on a deal and they think it is real they will fire you and take the deal this has happen dozens of time. Beware is all I have to say.

Advice to Management

Go out of business and do the world a favor!!!

"Not somewhere I'd recommend"

Pros

Good products
    I think that some people in management want to improve the situation
    That's really all of the pros

Cons

Everything moves at a snail's pace. Emails go unanswered and meetings go unattended unless you physically hunt people down. It took months just to get a mouse for my laptop. Sometimes they force people to get up in company meetings and say what they like about working there. Even those seemingly happy people leave the company all of the time. Management has unreasonable expectations, quotas are unattainable, there's almost no chance of making anything but the base salary in the first year. There are no real rules of engagement in place. There is infighting and gossiping among employees about other employees. The benefits are as basic as they come. Overall, it's the most unprofessional place that I have ever worked.