Smart Financial Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 13, 2018

3.2
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company to work for!!!!"

I have been working at Smart Financial Credit Union full-time

Pros

Challenging and face paced with a family atmosphere.

Cons

Too conservative at times for me, but still overall a great place to work.

"After Mr. Tuma left everything declined"

Current Employee - Lending Specialist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Lending Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Smart Financial Credit Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Bonuses, Decent pay,major holidays off, tickets to concerts at the smart Centre

Cons

Morale is low, mangers no longer care about employees, CEO is bringing the company down. The CLO Jeff Keene stays in his office and does not deliver on promises made to his staff. Always changing who you report to, Let’s people go or forces them into retirement so they can pay someone else less, Mangers do not have management training and it shows. There is no training for anyone, there are no procedures in any department. Everyone is incompetent in HR except for Angie she knows her stuff. Regardless if you voluntarily leave or are terminated you are escorted out like a prisoner with no dignity.

Advice to Management

Bring Mr. Tuma back he actually cared about the employees. Invest in training for your managers and staff.

Oct 16, 2018 – SVP - Human Resources

Dear Employee –

I’m glad to hear you appreciate the wide range of benefits offered to our employees. Our benefit plans are designed around the needs of our employees to ensure each employee is... More

3. "Seems to want tenured employees gone"

I worked at Smart Financial Credit Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You have a job each day.

Cons

Good Culture has gone away. Office Politics have taken over and tenured employees are no longer appreciated so most are no longer there.

Advice to Management

Go back to that family culture and appreciate those there instead of never promoting within.

4. "Great place to work!!"

I have been working at Smart Financial Credit Union full-time

Pros

Family oriented. Always looking out for the employees best interest. Good work/life balance. Great pay and benefits.

Cons

None. However, would be nice to slow the pace of change.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

5. "Not too bad"

I worked at Smart Financial Credit Union full-time

Pros

The working environment is pretty good.

Cons

Management seems disorganized. Their seems to be a constant reorganization going on. Middle management politics.

Advice to Management

Get it together.

"Always looking to excel in benefitting the company, staff, and credit union members"

I have been working at Smart Financial Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance, culture, and family atmosphere. The company and management staff is for the best interest of the employee. Employee engagement is also a strong point of the company.

Cons

There is room for personal growth in the company but patience is the virtue. The company is growing and is on the road to a prosperous future, it seems, and growth opportunities will come from it.

Advice to Management

Make sure that everyone is on the same page with the company vision.

7. "Change is hard but necessary."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Smart Financial Credit Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The management team is looking at the long-term big picture and is aggressive about growing the credit union. Adding accountability is always hard, but is necessary for success. Benefits are amazing! Pension plan plus a 401k. PTO, Health, Maternity/Paternity leave, Health Savings Plan. Everything you can ask for.

Cons

Certain employees haven't come to grips with the change of the culture and direction. Most have and are doing well.

Advice to Management

Don't let a few naysayers distract you from the long-term vision you have established. Be committed to what yo know is right from a business and ethics standpoint.

"Best Company I've ever worked at"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Smart Financial Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, benefits and great working environment. Everyone is very nice, plenty of opportunity for growth and promotions also CEO is very approachable, listens and is proactive with employee concerns.

Cons

Some departments could do with more staffing

9. "Culture has definitely shifted from credit union to banking."

Former Employee - Virtual Teller in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Virtual Teller in Houston, TX

I worked at Smart Financial Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

benefits, location, hours, experience, exposure

Cons

Management, upper management, politics within the credit union, under paid for the work load

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees about their complaints and concerns. Management no longer has the best interest of their employees or their members. They have shifted their focus onto sales and are over working their employees with not enough pay. If you do your job well enough, you’ll also get to do the job of others without the incentive! It also doesn’t matter what you know, but who you know in order to advance within the company. Hire managers that are willing to take on basic tasks to help their employees when needed, not ones that will delegate and refuse to assist in your time of need due to incompetence and lack of willingness. A lot of current and former employees would agree.

Jul 3, 2018 – SVP - Human Resources

Thank you providing us with your honest feedback, as it will allow us to gain insight into challenges some of our employees may face. We have been deliberate in the changes we have made over the... More

10. "Branch retail"

Pros

Awesome employees...best family I’ve ever been a part of.

Cons

Unskilled executive management doesn’t value strong employees.

Jun 27, 2018 – SVP - Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your honest feedback about your experience working at Smart Financial. Your statement about working with “Awesome Employees,” is what defines our culture and how we service our... More