Smart Meetings Events Reviews | Glassdoor

Events

2.2
Smart Meetings Founder & Publisher Marin Bright
Marin Bright

Pros
  • Great publication, hard working staff, best in the industry (in 4 reviews)

• Beautiful location in Sausalito with colorful, brightly decorated ambiance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Owners lead by fear and intimidation (in 5 reviews)

• There is zero work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

"Smart Meetings is a rewarding work enviroment"

Current Employee - Director of Meetings and Events in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Meetings and Events in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I recently moved from Nashville, TN to Sausalito, CA to join the Smart Meetings Team as the Director, Meetings & Events. Smart Meetings is a unique and successful media and events company. We are encouraged to run our daily activities as entrepreneurs making decisions based on best business practices. My last few months have been rewarding and our events team successful. Leadership is dedicated to providing professional development and resources to encourage and increase skill sets. The name of our game is results with dedication to customer service and individual success. The entire staff was recently invited to a corporate suite at the AT&T Stadium to enjoy a Giants Game on Saturday, April 20. I am looking forward to joining my colleagues for some fun down time!

Cons

I have not experienced any cons of working at Smart Meetings. I made the transition from Nashville to Sausalito and miss a great many of my friends, but that was to be expected. I love living in Northern California

Smart Meetings Response

Nov 22, 2013 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. If you have anything you would like to share, please email our HR department at humanresources@smartmeetings.com.

"Don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Event Sales Manager in Sausalito, CA
    Former Employee - Event Sales Manager in Sausalito, CA

I worked at Smart Meetings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the role itself. Ability to wear many hats, travel frequently, and see an immediate impact of hard work.

Cons

The company is dishonest to the core, talks poorly about their clients behind their backs, and is disrespectful to their employees. During my time there I was able to confirm many of the negative comments written in previous Glassdoor reviews. Working at Smart Meetings was a significant waste of my time.

Advice to Management

Employee turnover is expensive. Stop being ignorant and treat your employees right.

Smart Meetings Response

Feb 9, 2015 – Human Resources

It’s unfortunate that you got that impression, and we can assure you that there is nothing dishonest or disrespectful about our practices. Many of our valued customers give testimonials, and we ... More

"Misleading job description, unhealthy work environment"

Former Employee - Events Coordinator in Sausalito, CA
    Former Employee - Events Coordinator in Sausalito, CA

I worked at Smart Meetings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I did learn a lot at Smart Meetings. I learned how to negotiate better, sell sponsorships and deal with difficult people (none of that meant to be sarcastic). I learned time management to juggle multiple events at once. I got to write for the blog and magazine, making me a published author. On my resume, I summarized my learnings as: honed project management and multi-tasking skills while improving supervisory style and broadening knowledge of the intricacies of event planning.

Cons

This is a very stressful workplace. Trust is not placed in employees, so projects are delayed while waiting for approval on minor details (ex: color of tablecloths for an event). Friendships in the office are discouraged, even reprimanded. Communication with ex-employees is forbidden. Employees live in constant fear of being fired. Management rules with emotion and intimidation. Perks are given, but then used as fuel for argument later. Management handled my exit poorly with emotional abuse statements with incorrect facts presented, while I had given the adequate two-weeks notice and handled myself professionally. Working from home is not permitted. Ever. No sick days, so people come in with germs and infect the office.

Advice to Management

Learn to trust your employees; you hire them for a reason, so allow them to do their jobs. Keep the workplace professional instead of personal; personal attacks don't do anyone any good and are not constructive. Strive for better work/life balance to have happier employees.