Smart Meetings Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Smart Meetings Founder & Publisher Marin Bright
Marin Bright

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great publication, hard working staff, best in the industry (in 4 reviews)

• It is in great opportunity for people to have a seat at the table and make a difference on a daily basis (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Owners lead by fear and intimidation (in 5 reviews)

• There is zero work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

"Great Company Great Product!"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Since my tenure at Smart Meetings, I have had the opportunity to become a part of an exciting industry! For the first time in my career I can say that I have a mentor and learned so much in a short two years. The compensation is great and there is a true family enviorment that works like a team.
    If you want to be a part of a great growing company, please come our way!

Cons

None that I can think of!

Nov 22, 2013 – Human Resources

We thank you for your time in providing feedback. If you have anything else you would like to share, please email our HR department at humanresources@smartmeetings.com.

"Looking forward to a great 2013!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been an employee with Smart Meetings for 6 years and I love the challenges that I encounter in my position as well as the atmosphere, culture and the staff. I have grown into a better employee in my position with successful and wonderful issues under my belt. Looking forward to a great 2013!

Cons

You will work long hours during deadlines but will be rewarded!

Nov 22, 2013 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We are committed to continually growing and improving our work environment for all of our employees. If you have anything you would like to share, please email our HR... More

"At last! An office with a bay view"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced, broad-minded and creative atmosphere; Nice mix of personalities and talent. Promotes education and training for employees. Both magazine and events are strong products in industry. Great Sausalito setting. Travel perks are productive, fun and useful.

Cons

Not enough time in the day to get everything done! IBM vs Apple...Can't we all just get along? More PTO would have been good. There are alternatives to Outlook search that work.

Advice to Management

Consider other optional group benefit coverage in addition to medical. Consistency is the name of the game.

Nov 22, 2013 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback. If you have anything you would like to share, please email our HR department at humanresources@smartmeetings.com.

"Creative and innovative atmosphere"

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time

Pros

The meetings industry is an exciting field to cover and offers endless possibilities for stories and photos. Every issue of our magazine is packed with news, insightful profiles on industry leaders and reviews of great meetings destinations. We all feel very proud of our collective efforts both in print and online. The opportunity to travel is another great reward for working hard. I especially enjoy working in Sausalito, with sailboats literally in our backyard.

Cons

Everyone should have a view of the marina! Seriously, the only thing I would change would be adding a retirement savings plan to company benefits.

Nov 22, 2013 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. If you have anything you would like to share, please email our HR department at humanresources@smartmeetings.com.

"Smart Meetings is a rewarding work enviroment"

Current Employee - Director of Meetings and Events in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Meetings and Events in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I recently moved from Nashville, TN to Sausalito, CA to join the Smart Meetings Team as the Director, Meetings & Events. Smart Meetings is a unique and successful media and events company. We are encouraged to run our daily activities as entrepreneurs making decisions based on best business practices. My last few months have been rewarding and our events team successful. Leadership is dedicated to providing professional development and resources to encourage and increase skill sets. The name of our game is results with dedication to customer service and individual success. The entire staff was recently invited to a corporate suite at the AT&T Stadium to enjoy a Giants Game on Saturday, April 20. I am looking forward to joining my colleagues for some fun down time!

Cons

I have not experienced any cons of working at Smart Meetings. I made the transition from Nashville to Sausalito and miss a great many of my friends, but that was to be expected. I love living in Northern California

"Awesome!!"

Current Employee - Current Employee in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I felt warmly welcomed here from day one. The staff is very friendly and I've felt that my work is much appreciated. The office is located in a beautiful place and staff members routinely travel to some of the most incredible places in North America. In short, it's been a fantastic place to work.

Cons

As with other publications, deadlines and workload sometimes can be challenging, but my managers have displayed a great deal of understanding and flexibility regarding these matters.

Nov 22, 2013 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. If you have anything you would like to share, please email our HR department at humanresources@smartmeetings.com.

"Something new every day, an exciting challenge."

Current Employee - Sales Management
    Current Employee - Sales Management

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart Meetings is very fast paced, entrepreneurial, and has the best products/services in the industry. Great views of the bay and marina. Gourmet coffee and teas available to employees at no cost to them. A rewarding environment where results and team effort are valued. Stellar customer service, quality products, growing revenue, and top notch content drives the company and its employees.

Cons

If you're not used to a fast paced environment, this could be a con for you. Smart Meetings is not a "job", it's where your dedication and hard work will be put to the test as the (at times) heavy work load can be a challenge. If you've worked at start ups before this is not unusual...in fact, it's why many people thrive and prefer this type of environment.

Nov 22, 2013 – Human Resources

"Fun, challenging and rewarding"

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the atmosphere is built on success, comradery, teamwork and professionalism balanced with levity. no matter you're experience level you are driven to reach higher levels or success and learning new ways to get there.

Cons

the days can be long and tedious, but it is work and not a vacation after all, so cons are really open to perception and attitude

Advice to Management

keep going with the open and honest dialog and how the overall business is doing so we can continue to adjust and react to keep our customers happy and our future successful

Nov 22, 2013 – Human Resources

"Great time to be at the company"

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time

Pros

Why I joined Smart Meetings and what I like about it: I have tremendous opportunity to make immediate contributions and make an impact - not only in my job and in my department, but throughout the company. The CEO welcomes and values an entrepreneurial mindset and fresh ideas for marketing, editorial and art, the events, sales. Everyone is encouraged to take initiative and get things done. As the company grows - for example, it is quickly moving to expand its digital media - even more opportunities for creative thinking and innovation have opened up. It’s an exciting time to be here, actually. The CEO is committed to developing the company’s managers and staff into a cohesive team.

Cons

The workplace is fast-paced and at times frenetic, but the work is stimulating and challenging.

"Awesome company on the move!"

Current Employee - Director of Sales
    Current Employee - Director of Sales

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very successful and dynamic company. The founders/owners are very hands on and have a lot of passion for their business and their people. They embrace change and new ideas when it fits into the vision and values. They respect, recognize and reward folks that step up, work hard and lead. And while the company has been around for over 13 years, the culture continues to be like a start up with lots of ground floor opportunities for the right people.

Cons

If you don't like change, and if you just want to do the minimum and get by, this might not be for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay open to new ideas and stay true to your values. You've created a real gem with unlimited potential. The new business model that you've embraced has given us great traction and is an awesome vehicle to take us to new levels!