SmartBear Software Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SmartBear Software CEO Justin Teague
Justin Teague

Pros
  • Company is growing in some of the hottest tech markets including API Testing, Mobile and DevOps (in 8 reviews)

• There are some great people working here (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • No one should ever be afraid of hard work, long hours, or lofty goals (in 7 reviews)

• For all the marketing push, why is it STILL that no one has ever heard of this company (in 5 reviews)

"A great place to build (or start) your career!"

Current Employee - Technical Sales Engineer in Somerville, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Engineer in Somerville, MA

I have been working at SmartBear Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Great working environment *Competitive benefits *Dedicated employees/coworkers *Challenging, fast paced environment *Free lunch friday *Snacks/coffee *Centrally located *Assembly Row is full of shopping and dining options

SmartBear is a great company with a dedicated staff and a full array of software quality tools. The people here work hard, play hard, and genuinely enjoy what they do and who they do it with. Teamwork is an important part of day to day life here at SmartBear and you always know that someone is there if you need help or just to bounce ideas off of. The company takes care of its people and you will get out of it what you put in. This isn't a place to come to coast by or slack off for a pay check, but what you do and the amount of effort you put forth will be noticed and rewarded.

Cons

*Pay for parking *No gym in the office itself *Sales floor can get loud

I said above that what you do will get noticed. That may not always be considered a *good* thing, depending on your goals. You will be held accountable. The environment is fast paced and it can get loud sometimes, so if you're the kind of person that needs quiet and solitude to work, this may not be a great fit for you. You'll also have to pay for parking, which isn't ideal... worse is that the parking company doesn't do a great job of making sure Assembly Row customers don't take the spot you're paying for... They're working on that, though. While there IS a gym close-ish, it's not ideal.

Advice to Management

Work on that parking situation...

Apr 24, 2017 – Director of HR

Thank you so much for your review! We certainly support our hard working employees, so we’re glad you feel valued and rewarded for your efforts. I’m also happy that you’ve enjoyed collaborating with ... More

"Honest Review"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Somerville, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Somerville, MA

I have been working at SmartBear Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

i have been with SmartBear for less than a year and all i hear from the other reps is how things have changed. Almost all the negative reviews are about what it used to be like (twice a day dial counts and the former CEO barking if you had ESPN on your screen and lots of turnover) and not what it is like now. I have learned more about selling in the last 8 months than i did in 3 years at my previous job. Managers help you and push you. Everyone is approachable for help. The head of sales could probably tell you something about every single sales person. People are making money (one rep made almost $100K in December alone) and seem to like it.

Cons

no stock options, paying for parking sucks (i used to work in the burbs), it would be nice if we had free sodas

Apr 5, 2017 – Director of HR

Thank you so much for your review. It is great to hear that you feel like you’ve learned a lot, feel motivated, and have gotten to know a lot of people across the organization including the CRO ... More

3. "Not sure about these other reviews."

I have been working at SmartBear Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good products, good people with only a very few exceptions, generally good strategy. Getting much better on execution. A solid software company with a sales focus.

Cons

Look, I get that it can be a bit harsh in some areas, sales is tough. And we are lacking some people, plus some key processes are still in development under new leadership. If you're hitting your quota, you are happy, if you aren't...

Advice to Management

Invest time in training line managers to get some consistent messaging. Mix more mid level employees in with the juniors and managers.
    Most of all, shake up the personnel on the different product sales teams or go more account based instead of product lines to help dispel the myth that success is luck based (product, territory, bluebirds, etc..) Those myths need to be replaced with a belief that success is based on skill and work. I'd bet just mixing up the veterans would do that.

Mar 22, 2017 – Director of HR

Hi there, thanks for leaving a review! I’m glad you enjoy working here, and have found value in our business strategy and execution. One of the initiatives this year that is already underway is to ... More

"I wish they spent as much time working on culture as they do talking about it"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Coconut Creek, FL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Coconut Creek, FL

I worked at SmartBear Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* The developers you work with are industry experts, and you learn a lot from their experience (might be changing now, since they are replacing all senior people with junior developers because of budget constraints).
    * The Florida office has a great, relaxed atmosphere, and the entire team is really great.
    * The Florida office management understands that everyone needs life/work balance, and is hard at work trying to minimize the effect of corporate's lack of transparency on the development team.

Cons

* Corporate's HR is inefficient at best. A good portion of their policies are knee jerk reactions to something, with no thought of how that might affect employees.
    * No growth opportunity unless you are part of the inner club. Having a specific set of genitalia also seems to be of assistance, specially when dealing with some of the higher ups.
    * Product does not have clear requirements and scope creep is a constant. Simple projects take months to complete, since product doesn't understand what they need until the feature is out in front of the customer. Then you have to hurry to do "bug fixes" on these features.
    * You ARE just a number. There's a lot of talk about culture, and we have quarterly meetings to push the culture down your throat, but actions speak louder than words. Their main focus is to hit a certain number to sell, and it shows in the way they treat employees.

Mar 22, 2017 – Director of HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the team you worked with, and that you learned a lot in your role here. At SmartBear, we pride ourselves on ... More

6. "So far so good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA

I have been working at SmartBear Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not sure what these other reviews are talking about with calls. I started a few months ago and at least as long as I've been here no one has ever been over my shoulder about that stuff. I don't know what the old CEO was like, but the new one seems to have a good idea for where to take the company and no one has mentioned anything about office hours once. Office is really nice, everyone seems to really care about what they're doing and want to succeed.

Cons

Assembly is a cool spot, but paying for parking every day is expensive.

Advice to Management

I like the monthly meetings, great to hear about different parts of the company and get to ask questions.

Feb 24, 2017 – Director of HR

Hi there, thank you so much for your feedback! Glad you’ve had a good start, and that you are enjoying our monthly meetings. We’re hoping this will give employees better insight and clarity on the ... More

"Ok company, kind of disorganized"

Former Employee - On Sales in Somerville, MA
    Former Employee - On Sales in Somerville, MA

I worked at SmartBear Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good training, the people are nice and approachable. Try to make it a modern like company with the ping pong and all

Cons

Expectations are unrealistic, management should be more detail oriented when it comes to assessing numbers

Advice to Management

Be more communicative and realistic

Mar 3, 2017 – Director of HR

Thank you for your comments. I’m glad that you felt like you got great training and were surrounded by a supportive team. We’ve been growing rapidly, and the first half of 2016 saw significant ... More

8. "Growing company, solid financials, very collaborative environment"

Current Employee - Product Management in Somerville, MA
    Current Employee - Product Management in Somerville, MA

I have been working at SmartBear Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture has changed in the past 6 months with increased transparency and a more engaging place for employees.

Company is in a large, fast growing market, with plenty of opportunity to expand.

A diverse portfolio of strong products, SaaS offerings, open source models and a stable of mature products that solve really valuable problems for customers.Great place to experience different business models in a high velocity sales motion.

Cons

Some of the business systems and processes need to mature and scale to support the growth of the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to drive change and bring in the talent and experience that can continue fueling the growth!

Jan 25, 2017 – Director of HR

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback! It’s great to hear you’re finding the culture to be transparent, engaging, and abundant in opportunity. As we scale, we’ll strive to make ... More

"Company is struggling to find their way"

I have been working at SmartBear Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have some great benefits (health care, PTO, free sneakers, fun outings, etc...), but that is totally outweighed by their lack of work/life balance. If you only want to work, stay up worrying about work, get leaned on and ridiculed at work - this is the place for you. New CEO and CRO looked great on the surface, but have not delivered on anything they talk about at the all-hands.

Cons

There are a ton. You won't hit quota, you will not advance your career, if you have a family you will not see them as much as you like, they don't care about your personal life (they want 12 hrs a day of commitment), if you have family emergencies they don't care, death in the family or someone is dying - there is no concern. They have an incredibly high turn over rate - sales, marketing (what there is of it), management (right up to the c-level), etc...

Advice to Management

Put Doug back in charge. Deliver on your promises. Be creative and encourage your employees. When the numbers are down and the C-Level people leave again, you will only have the team that is committed to making this place great. Treat them well.

Feb 24, 2017 – Director of HR

A tough review to read, however I would like to address your concerns as they’re simply not true. The company is coming off a record year of growth coupled with record profitability and an enormous ... More

"API Account Manager (Inside Sales)"

Current Employee - API Account Manager in Somerville, MA
    Current Employee - API Account Manager in Somerville, MA

I have been working at SmartBear Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have just started with the company but from what I can tell, so far so good. I appreciate the transparency that management provides to the staff. I also enjoy the company perks that are given (free lunch on Fridays, free breakfast on Wednesdays, etc.). Smartbear has a new CEO and I can see that he has an incredible vision for the company. I look forward to seeing what new experiences this organization will bring.

The office is in a great location in Assembly Row. In addition, I like the office layout...especially the bear cave. The sales kickoff was really good. Great to be able to work so closely with executive level management. Good job thus far team!!!!

Cons

For those coming on as an account manager, expect a base salary around $55K. This was lower than what I was anticipating especially since I outlined my compensation requirements beforehand and was told that compensation was in range of what was offered. I also think there could be some improvements made to the PTO system. For employees in their first year, you accrue up to 15 days a year (1.25 days) a month and 2 personal days. At my previous organization, you had unlimited sick days.

Jan 20, 2017 – HR Business Partner

Thanks so much for your feedback, and welcome to SmartBear! Glad you've had a great experience so far. We're constantly reevaluating our offerings, and will certainly take this into consideration! ... More

"Anonymous"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Somerville, MA
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Somerville, MA

I worked at SmartBear Software (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people who work hard with little room for advancement

Cons

No work-life balance. You are expected to be there each day and perform by metrics. Management tracks the number of calls, emails, etc. but do not consider the time it takes to perform research for customer queries.

Advice to Management

Stop changing the company structure every six months and focus on being more flexible with your employees.

Feb 18, 2017 – Director of HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We absolutely have a great team here at SmartBear. I’m not sure when you left, but we have been announcing since last fall that we are rolling ... More