SmartBox Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Colin Receveur

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "I'm Very Happy Here"

I have been working at SmartBox full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Strong Support of My Professional Development
    -Flexible Hours
    -Ability to Work Remote
    -I Like Everyone I Work With
    -Good Benefits
    -Unlimited PTO
    -Challenging, Interesting Work
    -Strong Support from My Supervisor
    -Friendly Environment
    -Upward Mobility

Cons

It's a growing company, so there's always adjustments being made, which can sometimes be a little chaotic. But overall, I have no complaints. When something doesn't work, it's fixed. The company is prone to taking action, which I like.

Dec 3, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for your words of support! We're excited to have awesome team members like you onboard with us on our journey to helping dentists around the world!

2. "Unlimited vacation, flex and remote time, oh my!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at SmartBox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Need I say more? The benefits are great. They treat you like a person and you have freedom to give input and be a part of the company change. Partially paid maternity and paternity leave too is a great perk.

Cons

Not for those that just want to punch a time card. Work hard and be rewarded.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing to improve and be better tomorrow

"Love working here and the people"

Pros

It’s always fun at company events seeing everyone and their families. Everyone knows everyone and the culture is great. They offer unlimited vacation and flexible and remote time. Benefits are above average. Fast paced environment with a healthy work life balance being important company wide. They require every employee takes at least two weeks vacation yearly.

Cons

People that aren’t bought in and don’t fit culturally stick out like a sore thumb. You have the opportunity to see your fingerprints all over the company in this fast paced environment and be recognized for your accomplishments.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing and the results will continue to come!

Jul 8, 2018 – CEO

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions. The two weeks required paid time off is a great opportunity for each employee to recharge their batteries and come back energized and thrive.

4. "Great place to work"

I have been working at SmartBox full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are really cool to work with. Everyone cares about what they do. They let you manage your own area without a lot of micromanagement.

Cons

It can seem disorganized. Lots of change. Can seem overwhelming at times.

Advice to Management

Develop a plan, have confidence in the plan, stick with the plan long enough to see if it works. Keep letting employees be entrepreneurs of their area.

Jul 14, 2018 – CEO

Thanks for your review. And thanks for being a part of the annual planning we just completed the first step of. Plans are critical to help guide us all towards goals.

5. "Best place I’ve ever worked in my 20 year career"

Pros

They listen to all employees and really care about each one. You’re not just a number here. The culture is fast paced and fun but also very focused on productivity. Each person is expected to complete their work and be successful to their goals and metrics. The leadership team is challenging and engaging and very visible. Transparency top to bottom in the company is great and overall company health is clearly visible and strong.

Cons

Having worked in large corporate environments before coming into a small and fast growing company is a lot different. They are small and nimble and pivot quickly. If you are used to your SOPs and don’t like change this isn’t the place for you. If you like to be a part of building something great and being able to see your fingerprints all over it when you’re done you will love it here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing and appreciate your teams and their contributions. It’s said that people leave managers not companies and the leadership team is a testament to great folks at the highest level here.

Jul 9, 2018 – CEO

Thanks for your candid feedback. Love hearing from former employees with such great feedback!!

"Bad Business Decisions Fueled by Bad Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Albany, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Albany, IN

I worked at SmartBox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited vacation and ability to work from home one or two days a week. Great team of coworkers.

Cons

SmartBox Dental Marketing seems like the kind of company that you would want to jump into feet first and just drink the Kool-Aid immediately. Once working there you will see that things are not as great as you might have thought.

Leadership is weak and as a result the company has been lead into bad decisions financially. Decisions are also short sighted without thinking through all the results. Leadership relationships are also adversarial and many do not get along causing more detriment to the company. Many of the leaders have no real marketing management experience beyond their posting at SmartBox (writing, printing, and legal backgrounds for example). The strain is recognized by clients who have been canceling marketing services at an alarming rate.

There is no assurance of job security. Over-hiring (one of the bad leadership decisions) has lead to multiple rounds of layoffs over the last year or so. Layoffs are short sighted too. They will lay off employees and then turn around and hire for the position all over again. The company is always looking for ways to take more work/jobs over to the Philippines. The Philippines team is a dirty little secret they try their best to hide from clients who think all work is done in the USA.

Change is constant and ever evolving, but not for the betterment of the company. You might do your job one way today, another tomorrow, and go back to the old way before the end of the week. They certainly keep you on your toes and will get annoyed when you can't keep up. Leadership often ignored suggestions from employees for making things better.

My concern is that the company will not last beyond it's bad business decisions.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to clear out your leaders and make way for people who have more marketing experience. Listen to your employees and consider ideas they have more freely as you've done an amazing job at recruiting some of the best people in the area. Find a way to get a grip on your finances. Remodeling your building maybe wasn't the best use of funds when you could have been paying one or two of the employees you laid off.

Jul 7, 2018 – CEO

Hello Anonymous,

I'm sorry to read this and I can't help but feel your experience at and departure from SmartBox had to be less than great. I'm truly sorry for that, and as the leader of the... More

"Great team with a great culture!"

Current Employee - Digital Project Manager in New Albany, IN
    Current Employee - Digital Project Manager in New Albany, IN

I have been working at SmartBox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smartbox has a great group of team members to work with. They are “A” players that work hard and have fun at the same time. The company culture is award winning, literally!

I think one of the best things about the company is that they are willing to listen to their employees and implement their ideas. They also reward hard work and are genuinely interested in their employees being happy and working in the area they are best suited for. Supervisors at a lot of companies would not be willing to help someone move into another position within the company. Smartbox is an organization that goes out of its way to help their employees achieve their ideal opportunity, even creating new roles to fit the employee’s skills.

Smartbox is a very unique organization, and I’m really happy and feel lucky to be part of such a great team. Colin Receveur is an exceptional CEO and leader. He is warm, approachable, and confidence inspiring. In fact the entire executive staff is exceptional. If you get the chance to work here, I can’t recommend it highly enough.

FYI, other great perks include remote work days, flexible schedules, take home Apple laptops, stand-up desks, and more!

Cons

As others have mentioned there are some occasional growing pains as would be expected at any rapidly growing company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job on developing a fantastic company culture and on hiring exceptional team members.

Jul 7, 2018 – CEO

Thanks for the feedback and compliments! We love hearing all feedback from our teams and continuing to grow and give back.

"Great People To Work With"

Former Employee - Senior Writer in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Senior Writer in Louisville, KY

I worked at SmartBox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a forward-looking company with great leadership in place. In the two years I was there, I watched it double in size. As a writer, I was able to work remotely, but I was still part of a very close-knit team.

Cons

There have been growing pains, but if you are a creative and dynamic person by nature, you'll do just fine.

Sep 11, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for your review and feedback!!

"The ONLY company I've ever enjoyed working for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Albany, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Albany, IN

I have been working at SmartBox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work Remotely as desired
    - Fun, friendly office culture
    - Senior leadership is willing to listen to any suggestion from any employee regardless of position
    - Senior leadership regularly looks for high performing employees, and is more than wiling to promote from within.
    - Company provided computer to make sure you are able to do the work you need to do
    - If you need help with anything, all you have to do is ask... They will do whatever they can to make sure you are successful

Cons

General growing pains from the massive growth the company has experienced in the last few years. These are getting worked out, and are just part of doing business when you work for a growing and successful company.

Advice to Management

Keep the open culture, and remain accessible to the employees as we continue to grow.

Sep 11, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for your review and feedback. We're here and always feel free to reach out to the leadership team if we can help you succeed.

"Such potential for a great company gone horribly wrong"

Pros

Great group of people at the ground level, exciting to be in a constantly changing environment

Cons

No transparency, obvious favoritism, misogynistic banter, lack of respect towards clients

Advice to Management

Be transparent and respectful, you have a great team of people that you will continue to lose if you continue the way you are headed.

Oct 17, 2016 – CEO

We are sorry whenever anyone leaves the company, but not everyone has the right temperament to work here. It takes a certain amount of professional maturity and willingness to put the team first. For... More