SmartBrief Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SmartBrief President & CEO Rick Stamberger
Rick Stamberger

Pros
  • The culture and location of the office is very appealing to many young adults and its obvious to see why with the beer machine and ping pong tables (in 9 reviews)

• The work/life balance here is pretty well respected (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Mis-management of entry level employees (in 4 reviews)

• There was an obvious disconnect between senior management and what was going on in the trenches (in 4 reviews)

1. "Practice what you preach more"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at SmartBrief full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product, mostly great people, fun perks, great culture

Cons

managers don't always communicate effectively, pay is lower than market value

2. "Sales and Marketing Consultant"

Former Contractor - Sales Operations in Washington, DC
    Former Contractor - Sales Operations in Washington, DC

I worked at SmartBrief as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on which of the teams you were working for, the people were knowledgeable and resourceful,l especially regarding content distribution. In the particular group, I was in, I found innovation and creativity were encouraged and we were open to sharing results and trying different methodologies to get the sales and marketing objectives met.

Cons

There was an obvious disconnect between senior management and what was going on in the trenches. On more than one occasion, certain projects were abandoned or delayed because communication was happening on all the right levels. Some of the people that had been there for some time were very "content" with the old way of doing things and were not necessarily interesting in exploring new strategies.

Advice to Management

Make a long term and short term plan and make sure that all the employees know what role they play in getting this plan accomplished.

3. "Invaluable career experience"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at SmartBrief full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great culture that encourages collaboration and professional development. A great place to start for entry level positions and mid level management.

Cons

Getting promoted beyond the mid level management is not impossible but extremely difficult. The common turnover deals with entry level positions with a few management positions. VPs and Senior Managers tend to get hired from the outside. I'd advise a new employee to consider their time at SmartBrief to have the shelf life of 2 years.

Advice to Management

Open up the communication about larger goals that transcend beyond the quarterly check ins. Many managers lack true leadership to expose and guide to the larger goals at hand.

"SmartBrief...great company, great culture!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at SmartBrief full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SmartBrief delivers and excellent product for B2B advertisers that yield results. In the crowded B2B world, email is king and SmartBrief has that figured out.

Professionally, the company has 2 high quality modern offices--DC/NY, with a great culture and a real understanding of work/life balance. Nobody is looking over your shoulder. There is an inherent trust that we are all adults and we are all self-motivated and that we want to do a good job. So if you have to stay home to meet the cable guy, that's ok. Do your job, get online and work as if you were in the office. No problem.

Cons

The organization is a bit too flat. It is great for young people, but hard to grow the more senior you are in title/experience. When you've gotten all you can out of the organization you need to look outside for the next opportunity. I have seen excellent talent walk out the door due to limited opportunities.

As with many a small company, the growth opportunities are limited so you have to be prepared to check your ambitions at the door.

Advice to Management

Move people around. Foster talent, spread the wealth, but don't be afraid to make unpopular decisions. Ask the hard questions. Stay engaged.

Unfortunately, SmartBrief suffers from a lack of decisiveness. For a small company decisions are not made quickly and employees suffer as a result. Further, there seems to be a small committee of a few who make all of the decisions without proper checks and balances.

"About as good a place to work as an email newsletter company could be"

Current Employee - SmartBrief Tech in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - SmartBrief Tech in Washington, DC

Pros

I have coworkers I like and I work on interesting things. I dress casually and roll in around 10. I feel like my peers and superiors listen to me and value my opinions. I've been able to advance my career in a somewhat shorter period than I think I would have been able to most places. There's beer in the fridge and the office is social.

Cons

Email can only be so exciting, even taking into account that we do a lot of interesting stuff around it. We can be proud of the products we put out, and our customers like us, but we're not saving puppies, orphans, or the world. We're not causing any big revolutions.

In my experience, office politics are better than they are be in other places I've worked, but it seems there are still occasional battles in the upper ranks that aren't entirely productive.

There are no offices in Hawaii or Costa Rica.

Advice to Management

Come to decisions and act on them a little more quickly.

SmartBrief's workplace culture seems to be an important reason that people stick around. Fight to keep it a positive as we grow.

7. "Smart idea, not the smartest people"

Current Employee - Sales Operations in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Operations in Washington, DC

Pros

- Really interesting product
    - Intelligent leadership to grow from
    - Exposure to multiple parts of the industry
    - Good sense of corporate culture

Cons

- Fiscal compensation could be better
    - Gulf between employees and leadership
    - Employees lack buy in to the company's idea

Advice to Management

- Focus more on engaging employees
    - Corporate culture is more than parties, should be about building support for the company amongst employees
    - Better compensation

8. "Wonderful Culture"

Pros

Wonderful people, fun office, interesting work

Cons

Management sometimes unclear, can be boring

"Great telework opportunity"

Current Contractor - Freelance Writer
    Current Contractor - Freelance Writer

I have been working at SmartBrief as a contractor

Pros

Telework allows you to work from anywhere in the U.S., and most briefs are scheduled for morning writing. Other writing opportunities are also available, i.e., the SB Blog.

Cons

There are not many opportunities for advancement from the freelance position. The publishing software (Alchemy) can be really glitchy and editors communicate via the very outdated Yahoo Chat platform.

Advice to Management

Need to create a better environment for freelancers to advance into FT, salaried positions.

10. "Great internship and learned a lot!"

Pros

The people are great to work with!

Cons

Only a summer internship so not much I can say here.

11. "Small company the is experiencing growing pains"

I have been working at SmartBrief full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomy, relaxed environment, earning potential

Cons

Mini-fiefdoms, departments don't collaborate, lack of communication

Advice to Management

Management from the top must regularly communicate the values and goals of the organization. Share the good news, spread the love.