SmartBrief Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SmartBrief President & CEO Rick Stamberger
Rick Stamberger

Pros
  • The culture and location of the office is very appealing to many young adults and its obvious to see why with the beer machine and ping pong tables (in 9 reviews)

• The work/life balance here is pretty well respected (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Mis-management of entry level employees (in 4 reviews)

• There was an obvious disconnect between senior management and what was going on in the trenches (in 4 reviews)

1. "happy contractor"

Former Employee - HTML Coder in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - HTML Coder in Washington, DC

I worked at SmartBrief (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic office culture and co-workers

Cons

I can't think of any

2. "Intern Perspective"

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

Great environment and even better people! Flexible hours, external work bonding events. Ability to travel.

Cons

Lack of diversity in the workforce.

3. "Great experience"

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at SmartBrief as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone there loves each other which makes for a very fun environment.

Cons

No cons at this time.

"Felt compelled to write a review for this internship -- Web Developer"

Former Intern - Junior Developer in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Junior Developer in Washington, DC

I worked at SmartBrief as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

So many pros to be honest. Every other week during the summer we have company wide happy hour events. At 4pm the company gathered and did things like: Sang Karoake, Played Beer Pong, Raffled Prizes, Got Hypnotized by a "professional" hynotist.

It was a really fun experience and there really are alot of great people working here right now. I can't speak for how it used to be, I saw old reviews on here that trashed the company but honest to goodness this was an incredible intern experience.

The management style in the Tech department was really hands off and they allowed me to build a web page and helped me with making that happen, It made me want to be better and work harder knowing that gave me the respect and trust of working on my own without micro management. There are so many smart, funny, and friendly people in the Tech department, really no complaints at all.

Can I say also that the CEO Rick Stamberger really seems like a great guy, we had an intern project we had to pitch to him and he is such an encouraging person and just wants to see you succeed, he doesn't want to pick you apart. It really rubs off and you feel compelled to work harder.

Cons

Ok so maybe it was a bit of a double edged sword when I said that the management was hands off, because I didn't receive alot of 'training' per say.

This was really just due to the fact that the Tech deparment is going through a process of dealing with old legacy code and reforming their code to be more state of the art. Long story short, they are overworked it seems.

This lead to my supervisor trying to juggle pressing issues with teaching me beginners web development. So really I was left to fend for myself, which I actually really enjoyed but I do wish they had more time for me. All in all not that big of a con and could be remedied by the time a new intern comes around and the Tech team has grown thus disributing the workload more evenly.

Advice to Management

Keep in the direction you are going, expand the Tech department because I feel the projects could get more ambitious and really pay off in the long run.

"Positive working environment at a growing media company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at SmartBrief full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people are the best thing about SmartBrief. Everyone is enthusiastic about our products and mission. It's gratifying to work with a group of people who all believe in what we're doing. Although there isn't always another position or promotion on the horizon, there are always opportunities to do and learn more. I've held three different jobs at the company, but I've done something different almost every year I've been there. The key is to identify the opportunities you want (beyond just a title) and start working toward them. This is a company that rewards proactive and innovative thinkers if you act on your ideas. The company also offers a a considerable amount of flexibility, depending on what your job is. I particularly benefited from that flexibility when I returned to work after maternity leave (slow transition back, some regular work-from-home days, schedule shift to accommodate my child care, etc).

Cons

It's a small-to-medium-sized company, so there isn't always another position to move into when you think you've mastered the one you're in. There aren't necessarily a lot of promotional opportunities. But because the company is always changing, there is always something new to work on. Sometimes you just have to think outside of what you're assigned. That often means working longer hours or really moving outside your comfort zone, but it's almost always worth it to work on something that challenges or engages you. No one is going to tell you what you can do to expand your opportunities for growth in the company -- you need to find it yourself. That's an idea that can be freeing to some people and daunting to others.

Advice to Management

More structured training around building leadership skills.

"Better than it should be"

I have been working at SmartBrief full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is an ambitious company, both in the company-wide goals and in the day-to-day life of the employees. People who work here tend to be competitive and highly-motivated, and the management expects people to work hard and smart to succeed. This place is a meritocracy.

What SmartBrief does (publishing enewsletters for trade associations) is fairly boring, but that doesn't seep into the workplace. The people here are energetic, the opportunities for development and advancement are plentiful, and there are tons of perks (lots of happy hours and parties, trips and events, sports teams, and the ever-publicized free beer machine).

Cons

There are a lot of workplaces where you can "coast." This is not one of them. There are metrics on everything, and you are constantly compared both to your colleagues and to yourself (what you did last week, last month, last year).

You won't be able to impress your friends and family with where you work, because none of them have ever heard of SmartBrief. You won't be able to brag about what you do all day, because it's universally hard to explain to outsiders.

This doesn't seem like a company that you can grow old at. It's a small company, with a finite number of available positions, so it's hard to get promoted beyond a certain level. Even when positions are available, they tend to recruit senior-level candidates from the outside. SmartBrief loses good employees to better offers fairly often.

Advice to Management

It's obvious that there has been an effort to make improvements, especially around communicating changes and internal information, and in providing training. Don't rest on your laurels. Continue to push these efforts. There is no excuse for a company this small to do a poor job in communication, education, or integrating/orienting the workforce.

7. "Keep on doing what you are doing"

Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at SmartBrief full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SmartBrief is a great company that is moving from a start-up atmosphere to a maturing organization. I see lots of growth and development opportunities for myself and others in the future.

Cons

Management has been too patient with poor performers. I am writing because some recent reviews here are totally unfair. I recgonize the people who wrote some of them; they were poor performers who were dragging down the rest of us and are now anonymously griping about a really good company and raising issues that don't exist. Why don't you take a look in the mirror instead of lying?

Advice to Management

Get rid of the dead wood faster. We're behind you.

8. "Best Company That I Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Account Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Director in New York, NY

I have been working at SmartBrief full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing place to work, phenomenal culture, flat organization where your ideas get heard and your work contributes directly to a growing company. Right product, right time. Employees genuinely care about one another to the point where it feels like your colleagues are extended family.

Cons

Can't really think of any cons. Great benefits and tons of perks. If I had to pick something they could add, offer gym memberships for all employees, but that's far down on my list.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

9. "Great people and a good atmosphere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

The management and people around you make your job easier and make the office a great place to be. The compensation above fair.

Cons

Wish there was more mingling between different departments more frequently.

10. "Intern Review"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at SmartBrief as an intern

Pros

Great community, great management, great location

Cons

It is not terribly intellectually stimulating