SmartBrief Sales Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
SmartBrief President & CEO Rick Stamberger
Rick Stamberger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The culture and location of the office is very appealing to many young adults and its obvious to see why with the beer machine and ping pong tables (in 9 reviews)

• The work/life balance here is pretty well respected (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Mis-management of entry level employees (in 4 reviews)

• There was an obvious disconnect between senior management and what was going on in the trenches (in 4 reviews)

1. "Sales and Marketing Consultant"

Former Contractor - Sales Operations in Washington, DC
    Former Contractor - Sales Operations in Washington, DC

I worked at SmartBrief as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on which of the teams you were working for, the people were knowledgeable and resourceful,l especially regarding content distribution. In the particular group, I was in, I found innovation and creativity were encouraged and we were open to sharing results and trying different methodologies to get the sales and marketing objectives met.

Cons

There was an obvious disconnect between senior management and what was going on in the trenches. On more than one occasion, certain projects were abandoned or delayed because communication was happening on all the right levels. Some of the people that had been there for some time were very "content" with the old way of doing things and were not necessarily interesting in exploring new strategies.

Advice to Management

Make a long term and short term plan and make sure that all the employees know what role they play in getting this plan accomplished.

2. "Indifferent"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at SmartBrief full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very easy going environment
    Can work remotely
    Good start to learning sales

Cons

Pay is not good at all
    Misleading about chances to move up
    Very repetitive each day

3. "Keep on doing what you are doing"

Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at SmartBrief full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SmartBrief is a great company that is moving from a start-up atmosphere to a maturing organization. I see lots of growth and development opportunities for myself and others in the future.

Cons

Management has been too patient with poor performers. I am writing because some recent reviews here are totally unfair. I recgonize the people who wrote some of them; they were poor performers who were dragging down the rest of us and are now anonymously griping about a really good company and raising issues that don't exist. Why don't you take a look in the mirror instead of lying?

Advice to Management

Get rid of the dead wood faster. We're behind you.

"SmartBrief Sucks!"

Current Employee - In Sales in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - In Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at SmartBrief full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For the most part, SmartBrief hires great people but as soon as they learn what's what and find out how much they could be getting paid elsewhere, they jump ship. Everyday I see new people in the halls and don't know if they are employed by SmartBrief or somehow mistakenly wandered in through the front door. Upper management is not to be trusted and it seems like they like to work people to death for the lowest wage and toss them out as soon as they start complaining. The benefits are pretty good and the office location is convenient.

Cons

All the things mentioned above and some. The smell of death is in the air. Advertising is getting harder to sell as our clients are finding little to no return on investment. Personally I think their advertising dollars are better spent elsewhere. Email is outdated and most people are deleting our briefs without reading.

Advice to Management

The same advise that was given to me, "get with the program."

5. "Smart idea, not the smartest people"

Current Employee - Sales Operations in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Operations in Washington, DC

Pros

- Really interesting product
    - Intelligent leadership to grow from
    - Exposure to multiple parts of the industry
    - Good sense of corporate culture

Cons

- Fiscal compensation could be better
    - Gulf between employees and leadership
    - Employees lack buy in to the company's idea

Advice to Management

- Focus more on engaging employees
    - Corporate culture is more than parties, should be about building support for the company amongst employees
    - Better compensation

"Good atmosphere, great employees but poor pay"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

Great health and metro benefits. Flexible with vacation hours. Fun environment with great co workers. Managers actually listen to your ideas.

Cons

Extremely low pay for the qualifications of employees. Mis-management of entry level employees. Hit the ceiling once you make it to the account director position. No opportunities for growth beyond that.

Advice to Management

Promote based on skill, not tenure. Re-evaluate bonus structure.