SmartStyle "stylist" Reviews | Glassdoor

SmartStyle Employee Reviews about "stylist"

Updated Jun 21, 2019

2.9
SmartStyle CEO Hugh Sawyer
Hugh Sawyer
Pros
  • "A great company to learn from and grow as a stylist(in 32 reviews)

• "Nice environment with a steady flow of walk ins(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "Promising stylists full time then not giving them full time(in 55 reviews)

• "you start at minimum wage and they dont give you enough hours to make commission(in 27 reviews)

Reviews about "stylist"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "lot of changes"

Current Employee - Salon Leader in Wichita, KS

I have been working at SmartStyle full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been with the company 2 years, Been a stylist for 10. they have made a lot of changes, but the best he's been their president of the company and changes in corporate structure. they focus hard on education for guests, and stylists as well as higher ups. they have started focusing on hiring less, but higher quality people so 1 the turnover is less , and 2 it gives you a higher chance at building a better clientele. i came into this company from both rent thinking it would last 6 months, and 2 years later im a manager with no plan to leave. also the couponing and discounting has decreased so much, and is discouraged unless promotions are being ran which is awesome

Cons

it is what you make of it. if you want to sit around and wait for people to walk through the door, you'll always make minimum wage. if you take it upon yourself to decide you're going to treat yourself like a professional and respect yourself and your profession, your ability to make 50% is easy even in a lower volume salon like ours. people will tell you the biggest con in smartstyle is minimum wage pay. truth is, like in any salon if you do qualify consultations, charge what you're worth, and treat yourself like you own your own business, the money will roll on a lot faster, and a lot easier

Advice to Management

keep working on the path your on. i have truly been amazed at the effort you have taken to show your staff how valued you think they are

SmartStyle2018-08-15
  2. "works for some, try it."

Former Employee - Stylist in Abilene, TX

I worked at SmartStyle full-time for less than a year

Pros

great place to start out as a fresh stylist. lucky to have worked with a good crew.

Cons

not being allowed to refuse certain clients. they could refuse you but you could not refuse them.

Advice to Management

don't play favorites. Everyone is supposed to be trained to do everything that needs to be done in that store. The ability for promotion in the chain is one of the key reasons to apply to SmartStyle, but the other members of your downline need to be properly trained. know your stylists weaknesses and train them to do better so they can be more confident and better stylists for you. Your salon is only as good as your weakest stylist .

SmartStyle2019-06-21
  3. "Its a handy place to go to after beauty school"

Current Employee - Stylist in Plainfield, IN

I have been working at SmartStyle full-time for less than a year

Pros

Can learn advanced techniques and learn off of other stylists

Cons

The pay sucks!! And no one wants to do their job fully unless manager is there

Advice to Management

Pay more. Get better staff.

SmartStyle2019-05-22
  4. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at SmartStyle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have worked with my location almost 4 YEARS.. great way to build your business and grow as a stylist .. I have worked in the industry for almost 7 YEARS now and I have made more money here at smartstyle then ANY other salon.

Cons

No down sides.. when you work with the public you have to be prepared for any and all situations and handle it with a smile ..😁😁

Advice to Management

As the manager .. I will continue to grow with the company but also helping my team grow as well .. always pushing my team to strive for success..

SmartStyle2018-04-26

"A great company"

I have been working at SmartStyle part-time

Pros

A great company to learn from and grow as a stylist. A great company that works around most things a person needs them to.

Cons

Promising stylists full time then not giving them full time.

SmartStyle2018-02-13

"overview experience"

I worked at SmartStyle full-time

Pros

really good pricing for customers products are include for stylist to used

Cons

prentage may vary depending on customers

SmartStyle2018-02-13

"Ehhhh"

I have been working at SmartStyle full-time

Pros

It's a pretty laid back environment, and it would be great for new stylists just trying to get some extra experience.

Cons

You're told that you'll make comission on what you do and that the least you'll earn is a base pay of $7.25, but you have to jump through a million hoops and have an insane clientele if you even want to hope to make commission. People very rairly tip more than $5, even for a full head of color and highlights. And it's a hassle to get any of your online logins once you just start the job.

Advice to Management

Be more upfront about the pay, and don't flat out lie to newbies.

SmartStyle2017-09-11

"Love the company not the management"

Current Employee - Salon Leader

I have been working at SmartStyle full-time for less than a year

Pros

It pushes you to be a better stylist! I love the girls I work with.. I am the salon leader and the job itself is great! I love my guest and my store is doing great. You can build your paycheck by having a good clientele

Cons

The district leader is a bully. She runs everyone off. She makes the job miserable

Advice to Management

Stand up for yourself and your team!

SmartStyle2017-10-16

"Employed for 5 months, NEVER made commission"

Hair Stylist in Morris, IL

I worked at SmartStyle for less than a year

Pros

Good for beginner stylists to get an idea of salon enviornment

Cons

Expected to put salon before family emergencies, or family in general. Poor pay. Customers aren’t always nice or understanding. Huge expectations for poor compensation. Expected to make commission, EXTREMELY difficult to do so.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge family emergencies, help stylists make commission and not feel overwhelmed.

SmartStyle2017-09-22

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at SmartStyle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great stylists; I had a great Team!! They were all experienced stylists and didn't need me breathing down their backs telling them how to do things. Everyone co-operated and there was no Drama...until...

Cons

We got a new District Manager without being told that our former DM was no longer with the company. Regis owns SS, and they wanted us to do things that would have worked great for a new RETAIL store, or FACTORY, but not for a salon. Too much Micro-management. Unbelievable.

Advice to Management

As long as the shop is steadily increasing in sales (we were) and keeping employees w/out a huge turn-around (we did) and PLEASING THE CLIENT (we REALLY did), then we really shouldn't have to play stooooopid games like we were high schoolers, or straight outta beauty school!!

SmartStyle2017-06-30