Smartek21 Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Smartek21 CEO Al Lalji
Al Lalji

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • I do not see this as the fault of Smartek though (in 2 reviews)

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Smartek21 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been here for 3.5 years and it's been a great experience. The HR group and the Recruiters are top-notch professionals. Anytime I've had an issue that requires attention, it's generally been resolved quickly. I've been with a few companies that handle Software Consulting/Contracting and these people are up there with the best.

Cons

I don't really have too much negative to say. Generally they've been able to handle my situations more than satisfactorily.

Mar 6, 2017

You made our day! SmarTek21 values you and every employee and consultant in the field. If there is anything that you see that we can improve upon, please feel free to reach out to me at... More

2. "Missing SmarTek21"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Smartek21 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is one company that provided a very happy working environment. I left SmarTek21 due to family issues. I wish I could continue to stay with SmarTek21. I have worked with many large and small companies but SmarTek21 by far out beats all of those companies. It truly is a company that I could call being as my company, the work place is very friendly, people treated each other with respect and the new management is amazing. I truly miss being part of SmarTek21 team. Hopefully when things get better for me with my family I can come back and work for SmarTek21.
    Hats off to the CEO and the Executive team for staying together and making things happen even when things were not going so well with project expansion and other issues with few employees that let greed and power come in their way. I am amazed to see such strong people at SmarTek21 with so much positive attitude and believe in the company and the CEO. Keep up the great work and you will see yourself go to many heights and I hope to be part of it one day.

Cons

None. Keep doing what you are doing.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

Mar 6, 2017

You are appreciated and we hate to lose great hard-working loyal employees as yourself. I would hope that if you are able to come back at some point that you would do just that. We hope all is well... More

"Inexperienced recruiters"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer

I worked at Smartek21 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Recruiters know how to send and receive email, at least from what I can tell.

Cons

That's about all they seem to know in my experience and opinion.

Advice to Management

Hire someone somewhat competent for a relatively simple position.

Mar 7, 2017

I am sorry you had a negative experience within the recruitment process; however your assessment contradicts what I have observed throughout the years of working with the recruiting team as well as... More

"Can't find company like SmarTek21 anywhere else"

I have been working at Smartek21 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked with many big and small companies and being at SmarTek21 was the best move I could have made for myself and my family. I have been with this company for last three plus years and love this company. This company treats you like their own family. CEO is very hard working and passionate about for the company and its growth. The new Sales leader David has really come alongside with the same passion and love as the CEO and their vision to take the company to next heights is not far from being success. In the product space and additional Sales space the new addition Andy brings a lot of expertise and pure enthusiasm is an amazing sight to see and experience. All employees see the new curve with the company and are happy with the direction it is going even with all the minor setbacks the company has had in last few months. I am a long term loyal fan of this company purely because of the way they treat their employees and their future vision. Operations, Finance, Recruiting and HR is are on top of things and go above an beyond their duty--I love the small group of people. Sales team and business development has stepped up with their share of work. Delivery and Engagement is a lot more engaged and in synch with project alignments and its delivery. The shift with having the right skills and right employee commitment has been a great path for both US and India offices. I am glad to be part of this growing company and can't wait to see the future successes and growth in new Clients and additional employees and leaders in the company. I am here to stay with SmarTek21 for long term--NO DOUBT AT ALL!!!

Cons

There were cons related to lack of management presence and commitment as well as having many people that were not performing to the par and took things for granted verses stepping up their game but things are shifting now and this con is being worked by the management.
    We need more effective leaders in the future hence be very careful on bringing the right next leaders for US and India offices.

Advice to Management

Keep moving in the positive direction and the positive believe with the right leaders to support and work with the CEO. The CEO is a visionary, an entrepreneur , person of passion and care and will take this company to next heights even with all the shifts--under his umbrella of guidance I see SmarTek21 making it big and even going public. Can't wait to see the growth of the company and be part of this growth. Keep up the great work guys and don't let anyone come in the way of your vision and working as a team--you all rock it by being together on the same vision and growth.

Mar 8, 2017

Thank you for the candid and supportive post. We appreciate your support and feedback and will strive to continue to provide the best positive family oriented company for you and our employees.

"Not so great!!"

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Smartek21 as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Just another consulting company to go through and be placed at client location. Some good recruiters and some ok ones.

Cons

Amount passed on to the contractor from the client it minimal unless you know the actual number and fight for it. Minimum vacation time. Minimum resources like laptops and desktops.

Advice to Management

Treat your contractors better. Provide more resources to work and increase productivity.

"Thank You SmarTek21!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Smartek21 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, great people and great benefits. I have been with the company for over five years and I have never had any issues with the companies outlook, future growth and success and always getting better with their health benefits package. They constantly keep open communications with their employees in USA and India. Their quarterly company meetings have brought a lot of insight about the company and its future and employee recognition and client feedback. Management has always been great to me and my family. It feels like family being at SmarTek21 and I am proud to be an employee of SmarTek21 and look forward for its success and bright future. Thank you SmarTek21.

Cons

I don't have any cons. SmarTek21 has been good to me and my family and SmarTek21 also has helped with all my visa issues and green card processing. I am greatful to SmarTek21.

Advice to Management

Just an advice to the CEO of the company..don't trust people easily. You are a nice and caring human being but there are many people who are not the same as you. Continue to work hard and success will always be with you. Thank you for all that you do for the company and its employees.

"HR is extremely helpful"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

The HR department seems to greatly care about their current employees, and goes above-and-beyond in fulfilling requests and addressing concerns. I will provide specific examples:
    1. When I had a newborn, I needed to sign her up on my health care plan. Diane not only held my hand through the whole entire process when it was clearly not her responsibility, but sent me reminder emails before the expiration window elapsed. Had she not done this, my newborn may have been uninsured. This was clearly supposed to be my responsibility, not Diane's, but she was gracious enough to keep an eye out on my situation. She could have told me things like "read the manual" or "read the handbook next time", but did not resort to any patronizing or condescending remarks. She focused on giving me the information I needed.

2. When I was new there, I wanted to inquire about the life insurance. Diane answered every single email, and gave me specific phone numbers to call. She did much of the research for me.

3. Every single time I had a question about any company policy or benefit, Diane never left a single email unanswered. If you reach out to HR, they will certainly give you all the information you need.

Cons

Smartek21 is a consulting company. That means that they send you off to client companies to do actual the actual work and provide expertise and/or labor. Client companies often use contractors as experimental employees, and if the client company does not see you as useful, they will fire you with little to no warning. There is not much that Smartek21 can do in such cases. They do have a bench in the Washington area (and probably will in Palo Alto), but if you're in the Bay Area, you are at the mercy of the client company. I do not see this as the fault of Smartek though. Being a consultant usually means it's easier to get a job at a client company, but also easier for the client company to dispose of you.

Advice to Management

Please communicate to the "low-performers" (there are various reasons software developers are deemed as "low performers," sometimes rightly so, and other times it's not rightfully justified), and work hard to fix the situation before it gets out of hand. I can't think of many things worse than being unemployed in the Bay Area, arguably the most expensive place in America if not the world.

"Not a company that will help you grow"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Smartek21 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- good projects to work on
    - handful of employees are good
    - none
    - none
    - and no more pros

Cons

- low salary
    - inexperienced engineering managers,
    - poor planning by engineering managers
    - if you are on h1, don't join. You should never be asked to pay to transfer h1s!
    - did they offer GC? Don't join, you will have to agree to paying all GC Expenses plus they will never come forward about their GC filing plans
    - offshore India team is okayish and you have to manage them as well

Advice to Management

Employees make you grow. Hire people who are good. Don't hesitate in paying good people.

Be more transparent about decisions. Don't ask h1 holders to pay for transfers. It's almost an H1 fraud.

9. "A decent place to work"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Smartek21 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job security, flexibility, good clients. No delays in salaries, a good portfolio of clients, management usually is a little flexible regarding your needs.

Cons

No career road map, Limited growth. You will not see any growth or career contribution from the company.

10. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pune (India)

I have been working at Smartek21 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice Working Environment, I am since 8 months. Best Experience working experience till now.

Cons

No bad experience up till now.