SmarterTravel Reviews

4.2
SmarterTravel General Manager Sarah Hodkinson
Sarah Hodkinson
1 Rating
Pros
  • "Additionally I really appreciate how work life balance is emphasized(in 14 reviews)

• "not to mention you get the benefit of a smaller company but the perks of a large company with the parent being Tripadvisor)(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior management makes decisions behind closed doors without consulting stakeholders(in 7 reviews)

• "After the departure of DK (former president), there was constant structural change and people getting swept up by TripAdvisor constantly(in 5 reviews)

"Great People, Great Perks, Great Work-Life Balance"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at SmarterTravel full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Part of the TripAdvisor family -Amazing and reputable brands: Airfarewatchdog, Oyster, SmarterTravel.com, Family Vacation Critic, Jetsetter, and What To Pack -Teams take accountability and are passionate about their work -Free lunches are served 2x a week -Sweetgreen delivery outpost on other days of week -Great office location next to TD Garden -Consistently have All Hands with transparency into how business is going -Amazing upper management team with easy access (no closed-door policy) -Dog friendly office -Unlimited snacks -Good work environment -Stand-up desks and Balance Board rentals (to work on that core!) - Summer Fridays -Happy Hour 4pm Every Friday -Flexible work from home policy -Travel stipend that increases for each year you work -Potential for Restricted Stock Units -401k Matching Policy -Partnerships with many gyms around the city

Cons

-There was a morale issue when I first started, due to many employees moving over to the TripAdvisor side, which can be seen as a con. However, management took issues extremely seriously and have implemented ways to improve morale. -Lunch options aren't always the healthiest, but I can't really complain about a free lunch

SmarterTravel2019-07-01

July 16, 2019Recruiting Operations Coordinator

Thank you for your positive remarks. We’re constantly striving to maintain a transparent, collaborative environment, so we’re glad that you've found that to be the case. We're also happy to hear that you enjoy the office perks! Our goal is to create a space that employees enjoy working each day as well as feel comfortable. We appreciate hearing that we’re succeeding on that mission.

2. "Great company - truly focuses on professional development of their employees"

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Boston, MA

I worked at SmarterTravel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Focus on the professional development of their employees -If you prove yourself, there are opportunities to move to different roles within the department -innovative and always trying to do things better and more efficiently -always something new to learn -great people to work with, company provides many opportunities to develop relationships with coworkers

Cons

I had no negative experiences. My only reason for leaving was a career switch to a career that could not be accommodated within the company.

SmarterTravel2019-03-01

July 16, 2019Recruiting Operations Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us. Our goal is to create a place where our employees feel free to share their opinions and ask questions to further their career development, so we're happy to hear that you found that to be the case.

"Started great, went downhill"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at SmarterTravel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, good benefits and work perks

Cons

After the departure of DK (former president), there was constant structural change and people getting swept up by TripAdvisor constantly. The culture was adversely impacted as a result and led to even more people leaving.

SmarterTravel2018-12-21
  4. "Senior Inside Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at SmarterTravel full-time

Pros

Fun laid back environment with smart people.

Cons

Things are constantly changing.

SmarterTravel2018-08-20
  5. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at SmarterTravel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Clear ability to make meaningful contributions in lots of areas. Minimal red tape. Talented friendly coworkers.

Cons

Minimal red tape. Lots of different strategies in motion.

SmarterTravel2017-08-02
  6. "Great benefits, smart people, overall positive"

Former Employee - Senior Linux Systems Administrator in Boston, MA

I worked at SmarterTravel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Talented, fun, accommodating and understanding people for the most part. Great benefits.

Cons

The days can be long and nights short.

SmarterTravel2017-03-09

March 24, 2017VP of Technology

Thanks for your review. We agree that the people are one of the best parts of SmarterTravel! And, while we do work hard here, we encourage a balance between work life and personal life. I’d be interested in hearing more about your experience with us. Please don’t hesitate to reach out

7. "Best Company to Work at"

Current Employee - Software Engineer Co-Op in Boston, MA

I have been working at SmarterTravel part-time for less than a year

Pros

Feel of startup but under a big TripAdvisor Umbrella

Cons

Lot of conventional devs sticking to what they know, not much innovation.

SmarterTravel2017-01-26
  8. "Great place to work"

Software Engineer Co-Op in Boston, MA

I worked at SmarterTravel

Pros

If you are lucky you find great mentors

Cons

Some teams do not have good mentorship programs.

SmarterTravel2016-11-05
  9. "Great Culture"

Software Engineer II in Boston, MA

I worked at SmarterTravel

Pros

-Great team culture -Nice office -Good Tech managers

Cons

-Problems can get repetitive -Senior management can be cryptic

SmarterTravel2016-11-15

"The People Make It Great"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at SmarterTravel full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will work with really smart, driven people. It's a complicated, ever changing-industry, but you get to own it. The perks are great (4 summer Fridays that you can take off and they DON'T count toward vacation + a personal travel stipend.) Work life balance is AMAZING. There's a reason people start their families here. They want to make it as easy as possible to be a mom or dad and make a big impact at work - if that requires an unconventional schedule, they are ok with that. Bottomline: Even when frustrating things happen and we are short handed, I always stop and think that I really love this job and everything we're doing.

Cons

This company is evolving in how it make big decisions and keeps everyone in the loop. It's not great, but I still think its better than a lot of companies. Promotion raises are low. There are a lot of politics about promotions and when you finally get one, it's kind of underwhelming.

SmarterTravel2016-10-21