Smartly.io Reviews

Updated Jun 2, 2020

4.7
Smartly.io CEO Kristo Ovaska
Kristo Ovaska
Pros
  • "So far, my experience at Smartly has been a really positive one(in 12 reviews)

• "Great company culture on a global level(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Typically growing pains of a start up(in 6 reviews)

• "The application process is quite heavy, which can be quite difficult especially if you are working at the same time with the recruitment process(in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work with amazing culture"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Fast-moving company with room to grow and advance your career -Challenging and motivating work in a growth industry -Great company culture on a global level -Every employee concern is taken seriously and acted on -Everyone at the company helps define company vision and goals

Cons

-Typical growing pains of a startup shifting to a larger company but nothing unexpected. Things are constantly changing, communication, etc. But I feel these problems are par for the course and a negligible compared to the positives. -Sometimes it's hard to keep up with how fast the company is evolving.

Smartly.io2019-08-19
  2. "Positive interview experience"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time for less than a year

Pros

So far, my experience at Smartly has been a really positive one. Onboarding has been very organized and the people are so nice and very intelligent. I feel supported and can already tell that this will be a fun, positive and challenging work environment. It is very clear to me already how much the company cares about it's employees which I feel is rare to find this days!

Cons

A tough interview but brilliant in that it weeds out people who are not willing to take that extra step and put in the work.

Smartly.io2020-03-31
  3. "Good company to learn"

4.0
    Current Employee - Configuration Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time for more than a year

Pros

- flexibility , snacks , opportunity to travel

Cons

- Internal changes .

Smartly.io2020-01-29
  4. "Smartlies really live the culture and Values"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast moving, amazing product, the leadership cares.

Cons

Typically growing pains of a start up.

Smartly.io2019-11-05
  5. "A place to learn and grow."

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time

Pros

Great Culture of Work Hard, Play Hard. Smart colleagues and meaningful work.

Cons

Growing pains of any Startup.

Smartly.io2019-10-18

"Recruitment Process at Smartly"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is an overview of the Smartly Recruitment process, I have not been here long enough to judge how it feels like working here. - Great communication, full transparency; - Amazing best-in-class product; - International team of A-players; Why I chose to join, other than the reasons mentioned above: - The company is in a really good place, it's growing rapidly and results are great; - It's a flat organization with tremendous opportunities for growth; - The vibe is quite amazing, you can feel the team spirit; it's result-oriented, yet very humble, everyone is extremely helpful; - You can quickly make an impact on the organization with the right attitude.

Cons

The commitment to full transparency results into a lot of information and communication to process on the daily basis. However, I'd rather deal with that than the opposite and a lack of transparency.

Smartly.io2018-11-26
  7. "New Hire with new perspective"

Current Employee - Art Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smartly has a very rigorous hiring process. It is designed to bring people into the organization who can be just as committed as the leadership team. As a creative it pushed me outside of my comfort zone and connected me to the business of smartly right away. That allowed me to be in client meetings on day one and deliver client creative by day 5. Trust by default is a very true value here. I'm looking forward building with this company.

Cons

My boss is based in Helsinki. That means that I don't much face to face time since I am based in San Francisco and the working hours don't overlap. But since the company is flexible with hours, I am able to work early and leave early on the days I need to in order to accommodate meetings as needed.

Smartly.io2018-10-01
  8. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Lots of flexibility - Great culture and colleagues - Rotations are possible between different offices and roles - Rather flat organization structure - Opportunities to grow and enhance your career - Great and interesting clients (most advanced and biggest in the industry)

Cons

- Lack of experienced people (10+ years of experience)

Smartly.io2017-09-11

"Great place to learn"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time for more than a year

Pros

Being a young, fast growing company, there are a lot of possibilities for active people. I was taken in by the openness of the culture, the way potential candidates are welcome to the office every Friday morning (in NYC) and afternoon (NYC and rest of the world) to see how the day to day work is done and to meet the teams - even see the other offices via video. This really lets one get a feel of the company before and while applying. I think of the self managed way of working with non-existent hierarchy as a pro, since it makes it possible to mold the tasks to one's will. Added with the possibility of doing internal rotations to even different countries, the opportunities are quite extensive. The colleagues are some of the nicest and brightest out there and frequently hang out together. Despite growing fast, there's a strong start-up feeling to the company with people hanging out together even after office hours. The group of bright talent means there's a lot to learn - no matter who you are - and keeps (should keep) one humble. The benefits are great and compensation is fair. The 5 weeks vacation is actually vacation you're encouraged to take, showing clearly the Finnish roots of the company - which by the way, is a country you get to frequent with Smartly. It's very refreshing to see management evaluate their own actions in front of the company, building trust and respect. Everyone also contributes and has an impact on discussions on the company strategy - which are held regularly. Pitching ideas, especially if you yourself take point on following up with them is easy and looked well upon. It doesn't need to directly relate to your tasks as long as the company's best interests are served.

Cons

As other's have noted, the application process is quite heavy but rewarding. Up until the final steps, the skills one is honing are such that they serve in any digital marketing task, even if one doesn't get hired to Smartly. There are no sales bonuses, which can seem odd, but it's compensated by the options program and irregular company wide bonuses - which I feel also help improve the cohesion of the teams. There is a lot of work and workloads are often badly balanced. This is likely due to the self-managed way of working, where people demand a lot from themselves. Some teams (mainly client facing) do a lot of traveling. This can be a con as it get's easily stressful, but for others, it might be an opportunity. Lacking hierarchy, it can be hard to envision a career development path in the company. Most shifts I've seen have to do more with region or point of focus, more than being elevated to higher positions. Short on-boarding period. There is a lot of emphasis on learning while doing and seeking knowledge yourself after a short formal training period.

Smartly.io2017-07-02
  10. "Inspiring and Exciting"

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time

Pros

-You learn a lot and fast -Colleagues are inspiring and eager to help -Leadership has a clear vision for the company -Collaborative culture -Great work-life balance

Cons

Not the ideal place for employees who need a lot of top-down management.

Smartly.io2017-05-01