Smartly.io Reviews | Glassdoor

Smartly.io CEO Kristo Ovaska
Kristo Ovaska

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Amazing culture and opportunities to grow professionally"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Helsinki, Southern Finland (Finland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Helsinki, Southern Finland (Finland)

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best reasons to join for Smartly.io has been the learning and professional development opportunities that the company provides, combined with great culture and values that resonates personally with what I believe in.

One of the things that have amazed me, has been that how the company has been able to scale with having similar culture in all offices and when you meet any of the employees they all share the same mindset and values to work in daily life.

The company leadership has been creating strong roots for the company values even tough the company has been growing fast. I especially appreciate the tranparency, active sharing of feedback, low hierarchy and the autonomy of the work and trust that teams/individuals are given to make decisions on their own.

One thing that I also value a lot, is that the organization provides opportunity to maximize learning and development with opportunities for rotations, changing roles, taking more responsibility, contributing for the company initiatives etc. This means that you're trusted to always take more ownership and challenge yourself even more. The company compensation models also reflects this well, and the salary is defined twice per year based on the impact that you can make for the company (not based on previous years of experience in other companies for example).

Cons

More structure in daily ways of working would help to find focus and improve the communications. Internal communications could be further developed especially now when there are such many different offices globally and that would help to keep all parties informed on the important areas and to be able to easily find information when needed.

I think also some benefits need more alignment on global and local level still.

Advice to Management

Don't start to make compromises with company culture or values when you grow and scale!

2. "New Hire with new perspective"

Current Employee - Art Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Art Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smartly has a very rigorous hiring process. It is designed to bring people into the organization who can be just as committed as the leadership team. As a creative it pushed me outside of my comfort zone and connected me to the business of smartly right away. That allowed me to be in client meetings on day one and deliver client creative by day 5. Trust by default is a very true value here. I'm looking forward building with this company.

Cons

My boss is based in Helsinki. That means that I don't much face to face time since I am based in San Francisco and the working hours don't overlap. But since the company is flexible with hours, I am able to work early and leave early on the days I need to in order to accommodate meetings as needed.

Advice to Management

Continue to be vigilant about hiring quality people. Maintain conviction about what the company is building. Look for ways to hire even more diverse candidates. It will only make Smartly better.

3. "Account Manager"

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lots of flexibility
    - Great culture and colleagues
    - Rotations are possible between different offices and roles
    - Rather flat organization structure
    - Opportunities to grow and enhance your career
    - Great and interesting clients (most advanced and biggest in the industry)

Cons

- Lack of experienced people (10+ years of experience)

"Great place to learn"

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being a young, fast growing company, there are a lot of possibilities for active people. I was taken in by the openness of the culture, the way potential candidates are welcome to the office every Friday morning (in NYC) and afternoon (NYC and rest of the world) to see how the day to day work is done and to meet the teams - even see the other offices via video. This really lets one get a feel of the company before and while applying.

I think of the self managed way of working with non-existent hierarchy as a pro, since it makes it possible to mold the tasks to one's will. Added with the possibility of doing internal rotations to even different countries, the opportunities are quite extensive.

The colleagues are some of the nicest and brightest out there and frequently hang out together. Despite growing fast, there's a strong start-up feeling to the company with people hanging out together even after office hours. The group of bright talent means there's a lot to learn - no matter who you are - and keeps (should keep) one humble.

The benefits are great and compensation is fair. The 5 weeks vacation is actually vacation you're encouraged to take, showing clearly the Finnish roots of the company - which by the way, is a country you get to frequent with Smartly.

It's very refreshing to see management evaluate their own actions in front of the company, building trust and respect. Everyone also contributes and has an impact on discussions on the company strategy - which are held regularly.

Pitching ideas, especially if you yourself take point on following up with them is easy and looked well upon. It doesn't need to directly relate to your tasks as long as the company's best interests are served.

Cons

As other's have noted, the application process is quite heavy but rewarding. Up until the final steps, the skills one is honing are such that they serve in any digital marketing task, even if one doesn't get hired to Smartly.

There are no sales bonuses, which can seem odd, but it's compensated by the options program and irregular company wide bonuses - which I feel also help improve the cohesion of the teams.

There is a lot of work and workloads are often badly balanced. This is likely due to the self-managed way of working, where people demand a lot from themselves.

Some teams (mainly client facing) do a lot of traveling. This can be a con as it get's easily stressful, but for others, it might be an opportunity.

Lacking hierarchy, it can be hard to envision a career development path in the company. Most shifts I've seen have to do more with region or point of focus, more than being elevated to higher positions.

Short on-boarding period. There is a lot of emphasis on learning while doing and seeking knowledge yourself after a short formal training period.

Advice to Management

Strategically and operationally, management is doing exemplary work. Focusing on making sure the pressure to perform remains on the positive side is something to keep an eye on.

5. "Inspiring and Exciting"

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time

Pros

-You learn a lot and fast
    -Colleagues are inspiring and eager to help
    -Leadership has a clear vision for the company
    -Collaborative culture
    -Great work-life balance

Cons

Not the ideal place for employees who need a lot of top-down management.

"A lot of learning, responsibility and awesome culture"

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time

Pros

I've been working at Smartly.io over two years now. I started in Helsinki and later I transferred to our NYC office. It's been great to follow closely how the company has grown massively during my time in here.

You're getting as much responsibility as you can take and that makes the work really motivating. It is actually expected if you see something which could be done better that you take the initiative to improve it. The tasks are very varying and you have great flexibility in choosing how you work. You can also steer your work towards your interest areas quite well. I've also liked a lot the possibility to work and travel very internationally. Perhaps one of the greatest things are the colleagues and the culture. All of us are like-minded but still different so that there is always something to learn from everyone. Simply put, working (and after-working) with all colleagues is super fun!

Many of the practices we're using on daily / weekly basis are almost straight from some best practice business books. It's been amazing to realize that we're using so many good practices already and the culture of continuous feedback and development is helping us to get even better all the time. I can imagine that all of the (sub-conscious) learnings will be very helpful in the future.

Cons

At the same time, we've realized that this is not necessarily the best place for everyone. You need to be good in taking initiative and prioritizing your own work to be efficient and not to work too long hours. Nobody's going to give you detailed instructions to do anything. Also, the incredibly fast pace of things moving forward and changing (plus demanding growth goals) can be stressful and challenging for some people. If these things are not an issue and there is a perfect culture fit, I'm recommending smartly.io very very warmly as a place to work!

"A great company to work for"

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time

Pros

I started as an Account Manager in Helsinki, nowadays at the San Francisco office

+ An extremely value-driven company.
    + Some of the nicest and smartest colleagues that I've ever worked with.
    + You get to work in an industry where things are changing quickly and potential is huge.
    + Great perks (5 weeks of paid holiday, option plan, etc.), the company invests a lot in the employees.
    + The product is extremely good, which is quite motivating when working on the sales/customer side.
    + No unnecessary bureaucracy, practicality emphasised in ways of working.
    + Very good opportunities for rotating between offices for shorter or longer periods based on your interests (in addition to the Helsinki HQ, offices in San Francisco, New York, Berlin, and Singapore).
    + Non-hierarchical work environment, you are very close to management.
    + You are given a lot of trust from day one, and you have the chance to work with clients of all sizes, from smaller companies to some of the largest advertisers in the world.

Cons

- The bar for hiring is set quite high, so some customer teams are somewhat understaffed.
    - Workload can sometimes be quite heavy at least in customer-facing functions. This might not be the best place for you if you aren't good at managing your own time.
    - Can be a con if you don't enjoy traveling for work: Depending a bit on the team, business development / account management positions do require quite a bit of traveling (although you do have a say in the matter as well).

"A huge learning opportunity"

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ open, warm, great working culture and great colleagues
    + I got huge responsibilities right away after starting - handling millions of dollars of customer money monthly after just a couple of weeks
    + flexible possibilities to travel all over the world / relocate to remote offices
    + "insane transparency": everyone has access to all knowledge, and all significant decisions will be made openly
    + the industry is super interesting, developing at a fast pace
    + great compensation and benefits, equity plan, perks such as sports, equipment and company christmas presents ;)
    + nice values: family first
    + it's always nice to work for a company that is doing extremely well, where customers are happy and where you get to enjoy the results through your equity options :)
    + the future looks even brighter

Cons

- not a company for people that enjoy relaxing, slow working environments
    - lot of pressure for growth, not from management but from the huge opportunities
    - a bit of growing pains: recruiting can't keep up with growth so you have to take a lot of responsibility yourself to not work too long hours

Advice to Management

Keep taking a good care of your employees, we really are under a lot of pressure here with so few resources and so many opportunities

9. "Smooth recruitment and onboarding process to a slick company"

Current Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The recruitment process was lengthy but well worth it. Rarely do you get such an insight into a company before you start whereas with Smartly.io, you already felt well connected with the team you're joining and you obtain a good knowledge of the product and culture.
    -Hugely welcoming team in all territories and immediately make you feel part of the family

Cons

-Scaling in multiple territories at a fast rate brings its own challenges. One of those being, ensuring that culture and onboarding process is mapped out for all territories in the same way but thankfully Smartly.io are nailing it

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

10. "Learn, make change and grow @ Smartly"

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The people at Smartly all care and are willing to help - I've learnt so much in the short time I've been here from all aspects. The knowledge base is extensive for both employees and customers.
    - It's exciting to be in a company that is growing so quick, where there are plenty of opportunities to learn but also travel
    - Workplace Flexibility is real, it's a big thing here
    - Ongoing support from management, the People team and the Operations team who ensure all employees are looked after, are able to do their job and check if there are developmental needs regularly
    - Company culture!
    - We work with some of the fastest growing brands in their digital marketing; being their partner and watching them scale with help from our tool is an exciting prospect as you can see your expertise and recommendations make a change.

Cons

- Working from a remote office (anywhere) is difficult but even more so if you're a smaller team. Sometimes it can be hard to be accommodated for in global
    - Not so much a con for me but a heads up to others; the hiring process is long, it's intense and is daunting but it's a necessary as the tasks you are given are similar to what you would expect in the real day to day at Smartly.

Advice to Management

I've been a fan of the company for a while and now I'm working in it. I hope it doesn't lose sight of the core cultural values as the company grows. Keep up the good work.