Smartly.io Reviews | Glassdoor

Smartly.io CEO Kristo Ovaska
Kristo Ovaska

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Pretty much the best company I've worked for"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture is amazing, company tries its very best to maintain and upkeep this culture throughout the offices around the world.

Openness is encouraged and usually practiced.

As an employee of one of its smaller overseas office, I was able to easily find help from other offices.

Opportunity of developing job role according to employee's interest in developing impact for company.

Cons

Not really a con but since I've joined, company has been expending very rapidly (as compared to the past) and I understood from some more senior colleagues that environment was much more different in the past.

Advice to Management

Continue prioritizing the culture and the people while keeping the customers very close to all of us and I will be extremely confident of the future.

2. "Account Manager"

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lots of flexibility
    - Great culture and colleagues
    - Rotations are possible between different offices and roles
    - Rather flat organization structure
    - Opportunities to grow and enhance your career
    - Great and interesting clients (most advanced and biggest in the industry)

Cons

- Lack of experienced people (10+ years of experience)

"Great place to learn"

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being a young, fast growing company, there are a lot of possibilities for active people. I was taken in by the openness of the culture, the way potential candidates are welcome to the office every Friday morning (in NYC) and afternoon (NYC and rest of the world) to see how the day to day work is done and to meet the teams - even see the other offices via video. This really lets one get a feel of the company before and while applying.

I think of the self managed way of working with non-existent hierarchy as a pro, since it makes it possible to mold the tasks to one's will. Added with the possibility of doing internal rotations to even different countries, the opportunities are quite extensive.

The colleagues are some of the nicest and brightest out there and frequently hang out together. Despite growing fast, there's a strong start-up feeling to the company with people hanging out together even after office hours. The group of bright talent means there's a lot to learn - no matter who you are - and keeps (should keep) one humble.

The benefits are great and compensation is fair. The 5 weeks vacation is actually vacation you're encouraged to take, showing clearly the Finnish roots of the company - which by the way, is a country you get to frequent with Smartly.

It's very refreshing to see management evaluate their own actions in front of the company, building trust and respect. Everyone also contributes and has an impact on discussions on the company strategy - which are held regularly.

Pitching ideas, especially if you yourself take point on following up with them is easy and looked well upon. It doesn't need to directly relate to your tasks as long as the company's best interests are served.

Cons

As other's have noted, the application process is quite heavy but rewarding. Up until the final steps, the skills one is honing are such that they serve in any digital marketing task, even if one doesn't get hired to Smartly.

There are no sales bonuses, which can seem odd, but it's compensated by the options program and irregular company wide bonuses - which I feel also help improve the cohesion of the teams.

There is a lot of work and workloads are often badly balanced. This is likely due to the self-managed way of working, where people demand a lot from themselves.

Some teams (mainly client facing) do a lot of traveling. This can be a con as it get's easily stressful, but for others, it might be an opportunity.

Lacking hierarchy, it can be hard to envision a career development path in the company. Most shifts I've seen have to do more with region or point of focus, more than being elevated to higher positions.

Short on-boarding period. There is a lot of emphasis on learning while doing and seeking knowledge yourself after a short formal training period.

Advice to Management

Strategically and operationally, management is doing exemplary work. Focusing on making sure the pressure to perform remains on the positive side is something to keep an eye on.

4. "Inspiring and Exciting"

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time

Pros

-You learn a lot and fast
    -Colleagues are inspiring and eager to help
    -Leadership has a clear vision for the company
    -Collaborative culture
    -Great work-life balance

Cons

Not the ideal place for employees who need a lot of top-down management.

"A lot of learning, responsibility and awesome culture"

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time

Pros

I've been working at Smartly.io over two years now. I started in Helsinki and later I transferred to our NYC office. It's been great to follow closely how the company has grown massively during my time in here.

You're getting as much responsibility as you can take and that makes the work really motivating. It is actually expected if you see something which could be done better that you take the initiative to improve it. The tasks are very varying and you have great flexibility in choosing how you work. You can also steer your work towards your interest areas quite well. I've also liked a lot the possibility to work and travel very internationally. Perhaps one of the greatest things are the colleagues and the culture. All of us are like-minded but still different so that there is always something to learn from everyone. Simply put, working (and after-working) with all colleagues is super fun!

Many of the practices we're using on daily / weekly basis are almost straight from some best practice business books. It's been amazing to realize that we're using so many good practices already and the culture of continuous feedback and development is helping us to get even better all the time. I can imagine that all of the (sub-conscious) learnings will be very helpful in the future.

Cons

At the same time, we've realized that this is not necessarily the best place for everyone. You need to be good in taking initiative and prioritizing your own work to be efficient and not to work too long hours. Nobody's going to give you detailed instructions to do anything. Also, the incredibly fast pace of things moving forward and changing (plus demanding growth goals) can be stressful and challenging for some people. If these things are not an issue and there is a perfect culture fit, I'm recommending smartly.io very very warmly as a place to work!

"A great company to work for"

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time

Pros

I started as an Account Manager in Helsinki, nowadays at the San Francisco office

+ An extremely value-driven company.
    + Some of the nicest and smartest colleagues that I've ever worked with.
    + You get to work in an industry where things are changing quickly and potential is huge.
    + Great perks (5 weeks of paid holiday, option plan, etc.), the company invests a lot in the employees.
    + The product is extremely good, which is quite motivating when working on the sales/customer side.
    + No unnecessary bureaucracy, practicality emphasised in ways of working.
    + Very good opportunities for rotating between offices for shorter or longer periods based on your interests (in addition to the Helsinki HQ, offices in San Francisco, New York, Berlin, and Singapore).
    + Non-hierarchical work environment, you are very close to management.
    + You are given a lot of trust from day one, and you have the chance to work with clients of all sizes, from smaller companies to some of the largest advertisers in the world.

Cons

- The bar for hiring is set quite high, so some customer teams are somewhat understaffed.
    - Workload can sometimes be quite heavy at least in customer-facing functions. This might not be the best place for you if you aren't good at managing your own time.
    - Can be a con if you don't enjoy traveling for work: Depending a bit on the team, business development / account management positions do require quite a bit of traveling (although you do have a say in the matter as well).

"A huge learning opportunity"

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ open, warm, great working culture and great colleagues
    + I got huge responsibilities right away after starting - handling millions of dollars of customer money monthly after just a couple of weeks
    + flexible possibilities to travel all over the world / relocate to remote offices
    + "insane transparency": everyone has access to all knowledge, and all significant decisions will be made openly
    + the industry is super interesting, developing at a fast pace
    + great compensation and benefits, equity plan, perks such as sports, equipment and company christmas presents ;)
    + nice values: family first
    + it's always nice to work for a company that is doing extremely well, where customers are happy and where you get to enjoy the results through your equity options :)
    + the future looks even brighter

Cons

- not a company for people that enjoy relaxing, slow working environments
    - lot of pressure for growth, not from management but from the huge opportunities
    - a bit of growing pains: recruiting can't keep up with growth so you have to take a lot of responsibility yourself to not work too long hours

Advice to Management

Keep taking a good care of your employees, we really are under a lot of pressure here with so few resources and so many opportunities

8. "Smartly.io is the best company I've worked for!"

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Amazing culture where you have ability to prove your skills, learn every day and become better each day!
    - There is a lot of flexibility and if you respect the company's culture you are going to succeed very quickly
    - For every question there is support from the team and they are all very friendly, helpful and smart
    -A massive opportunities to grow
    -Management is very approachable and it is non-hierarhical work environment
    -Transparency
    - Company is constantly growing and hiring new talents and the future of the company looks very promising

Cons

- This is not a place for someone who cannot manage the time and tasks autonomusly
    - Recruitment takes a lot of preparation, time and energy but it's worth on the end! Also, during the process you have a chance to meet many people in the company and decide if you will be a good fit to Smartly's culture. During the recruitment process you learn many things about the company and when you start with the job you are already well prepared.

Advice to Management

Keep the great culture and keep the ball rolling!

9. "Definitely made the right choice!"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in Helsinki, Southern Finland (Finland)

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smartly succeeds in sticking to its roots, staying humble and growing exponentially without loosing its culture, start-up feel and honesty throughout. There are amazing opportunities for everyone, whether that be international or in their Helsinki HQ. The company thrives on openness and honesty, a Finnish Culture that is so deeply ingrained it will shock anyone who isn't Finnish - in a good way! You feel valued, respected and immediately comfortable to challenge and change the company.

Cons

The recruitment process is more intensive than most, and can seem daunting, but it works in both Smartly's and the candidates favour, as both parties get a true sense for eachother.

Advice to Management

Never lose the culture!

10. "Fantastic company - I am so happy that I decided to join!"

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Successful, fast-growing company with bright future prospects
    * Talented colleagues who are helpful and fun to work with
    * Amazing culture built on transparency, trust and learning
    * Lots of opportunities for growing and taking more responsibility
    * Possibilities for rotations around the globe
    * Good work life balance

Cons

The application process is quite heavy, which can be quite difficult especially if you are working at the same time with the recruitment process. However, this helps set the bar in recruitment high and is also an excellent opportunity for the candidates to learn about the product and what it would be like to work for the company.