Smartly.io Reviews | Glassdoor

Kristo Ovaska

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Account Manager"

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lots of flexibility
    - Great culture and colleagues
    - Rotations are possible between different offices and roles
    - Rather flat organization structure
    - Opportunities to grow and enhance your career
    - Great and interesting clients (most advanced and biggest in the industry)

Cons

- Lack of experienced people (10+ years of experience)

"Great place to learn"

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being a young, fast growing company, there are a lot of possibilities for active people. I was taken in by the openness of the culture, the way potential candidates are welcome to the office every Friday morning (in NYC) and afternoon (NYC and rest of the world) to see how the day to day work is done and to meet the teams - even see the other offices via video. This really lets one get a feel of the company before and while applying.

I think of the self managed way of working with non-existent hierarchy as a pro, since it makes it possible to mold the tasks to one's will. Added with the possibility of doing internal rotations to even different countries, the opportunities are quite extensive.

The colleagues are some of the nicest and brightest out there and frequently hang out together. Despite growing fast, there's a strong start-up feeling to the company with people hanging out together even after office hours. The group of bright talent means there's a lot to learn - no matter who you are - and keeps (should keep) one humble.

The benefits are great and compensation is fair. The 5 weeks vacation is actually vacation you're encouraged to take, showing clearly the Finnish roots of the company - which by the way, is a country you get to frequent with Smartly.

It's very refreshing to see management evaluate their own actions in front of the company, building trust and respect. Everyone also contributes and has an impact on discussions on the company strategy - which are held regularly.

Pitching ideas, especially if you yourself take point on following up with them is easy and looked well upon. It doesn't need to directly relate to your tasks as long as the company's best interests are served.

Cons

As other's have noted, the application process is quite heavy but rewarding. Up until the final steps, the skills one is honing are such that they serve in any digital marketing task, even if one doesn't get hired to Smartly.

There are no sales bonuses, which can seem odd, but it's compensated by the options program and irregular company wide bonuses - which I feel also help improve the cohesion of the teams.

There is a lot of work and workloads are often badly balanced. This is likely due to the self-managed way of working, where people demand a lot from themselves.

Some teams (mainly client facing) do a lot of traveling. This can be a con as it get's easily stressful, but for others, it might be an opportunity.

Lacking hierarchy, it can be hard to envision a career development path in the company. Most shifts I've seen have to do more with region or point of focus, more than being elevated to higher positions.

Short on-boarding period. There is a lot of emphasis on learning while doing and seeking knowledge yourself after a short formal training period.

Advice to Management

Strategically and operationally, management is doing exemplary work. Focusing on making sure the pressure to perform remains on the positive side is something to keep an eye on.

3. "Inspiring and Exciting"

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time

Pros

-You learn a lot and fast
    -Colleagues are inspiring and eager to help
    -Leadership has a clear vision for the company
    -Collaborative culture
    -Great work-life balance

Cons

Not the ideal place for employees who need a lot of top-down management.

"A lot of learning, responsibility and awesome culture"

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time

Pros

I've been working at Smartly.io over two years now. I started in Helsinki and later I transferred to our NYC office. It's been great to follow closely how the company has grown massively during my time in here.

You're getting as much responsibility as you can take and that makes the work really motivating. It is actually expected if you see something which could be done better that you take the initiative to improve it. The tasks are very varying and you have great flexibility in choosing how you work. You can also steer your work towards your interest areas quite well. I've also liked a lot the possibility to work and travel very internationally. Perhaps one of the greatest things are the colleagues and the culture. All of us are like-minded but still different so that there is always something to learn from everyone. Simply put, working (and after-working) with all colleagues is super fun!

Many of the practices we're using on daily / weekly basis are almost straight from some best practice business books. It's been amazing to realize that we're using so many good practices already and the culture of continuous feedback and development is helping us to get even better all the time. I can imagine that all of the (sub-conscious) learnings will be very helpful in the future.

Cons

At the same time, we've realized that this is not necessarily the best place for everyone. You need to be good in taking initiative and prioritizing your own work to be efficient and not to work too long hours. Nobody's going to give you detailed instructions to do anything. Also, the incredibly fast pace of things moving forward and changing (plus demanding growth goals) can be stressful and challenging for some people. If these things are not an issue and there is a perfect culture fit, I'm recommending smartly.io very very warmly as a place to work!

"A great company to work for"

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time

Pros

I started as an Account Manager in Helsinki, nowadays at the San Francisco office

+ An extremely value-driven company.
    + Some of the nicest and smartest colleagues that I've ever worked with.
    + You get to work in an industry where things are changing quickly and potential is huge.
    + Great perks (5 weeks of paid holiday, option plan, etc.), the company invests a lot in the employees.
    + The product is extremely good, which is quite motivating when working on the sales/customer side.
    + No unnecessary bureaucracy, practicality emphasised in ways of working.
    + Very good opportunities for rotating between offices for shorter or longer periods based on your interests (in addition to the Helsinki HQ, offices in San Francisco, New York, Berlin, and Singapore).
    + Non-hierarchical work environment, you are very close to management.
    + You are given a lot of trust from day one, and you have the chance to work with clients of all sizes, from smaller companies to some of the largest advertisers in the world.

Cons

- The bar for hiring is set quite high, so some customer teams are somewhat understaffed.
    - Workload can sometimes be quite heavy at least in customer-facing functions. This might not be the best place for you if you aren't good at managing your own time.
    - Can be a con if you don't enjoy traveling for work: Depending a bit on the team, business development / account management positions do require quite a bit of traveling (although you do have a say in the matter as well).

"A huge learning opportunity"

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ open, warm, great working culture and great colleagues
    + I got huge responsibilities right away after starting - handling millions of dollars of customer money monthly after just a couple of weeks
    + flexible possibilities to travel all over the world / relocate to remote offices
    + "insane transparency": everyone has access to all knowledge, and all significant decisions will be made openly
    + the industry is super interesting, developing at a fast pace
    + great compensation and benefits, equity plan, perks such as sports, equipment and company christmas presents ;)
    + nice values: family first
    + it's always nice to work for a company that is doing extremely well, where customers are happy and where you get to enjoy the results through your equity options :)
    + the future looks even brighter

Cons

- not a company for people that enjoy relaxing, slow working environments
    - lot of pressure for growth, not from management but from the huge opportunities
    - a bit of growing pains: recruiting can't keep up with growth so you have to take a lot of responsibility yourself to not work too long hours

Advice to Management

Keep taking a good care of your employees, we really are under a lot of pressure here with so few resources and so many opportunities

"Pretty much the best company I've worked for"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture is amazing, company tries its very best to maintain and upkeep this culture throughout the offices around the world.

Openness is encouraged and usually practiced.

As an employee of one of its smaller overseas office, I was able to easily find help from other offices.

Opportunity of developing job role according to employee's interest in developing impact for company.

Cons

Not really a con but since I've joined, company has been expending very rapidly (as compared to the past) and I understood from some more senior colleagues that environment was much more different in the past.

Advice to Management

Continue prioritizing the culture and the people while keeping the customers very close to all of us and I will be extremely confident of the future.

"It goes both ways!"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smarlty.io expects a high level of dedication from the recruitment stage, and that says a lot about the company. With such a strong culture Smartly.io puts in the effort to ensure a good skill and culture match, and it works both ways! All too often it is difficult to determine whether as an employee the culture actually fits, but with the processes in place, reaching the last stage means both sides are a fit!

Cons

For all these positive points stated, it can take time to get through the stages of recruitment not to mention preparation work, which can be difficult to accommodate if you're currently employed...

Advice to Management

Best of luck maintaining such a great culture as the business grows, it won't be easy but it feels as a core element of the success of the business to date.

Smartly.io Response

Mar 13, 2018 – Talent Communications

Hi there! Thank you for writing this review :) Great to hear you like our culture and that you found the recruitment process insightful. Our recruitment process is tough, but as you said, it helps... More

"As much responsibility as you can take"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Helsinki, Southern Finland (Finland)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Helsinki, Southern Finland (Finland)

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time

Pros

Smartly.io is a flat and flexible organization without unnecessary boundaries. The leadership doesn't micro manage but instead coaches you and lets you do things the way you see the best.

The company believes in the efficiency of decentralized decision-making which is enabled by shared context, transparency and autonomous teams. Basically, you think what's your team's goal and what's best for the company and act based on that.

At Smartly.io, there are no individual or team level bonuses or commissions — only company-wide stock option plan and company-level performance-based bonuses — which makes teams work together instead of competing against each other and maximizing just their own KPIs.

The culture is great. Everyone understands Smartly.io's place in the online advertising ecosystem and everyone understands how they are contributing to the company's goals. People give honest feedback, diversity is celebrated and there are no office politics.

I've stayed at Smartly.io because I can work on the things I find the most interesting and I've learned at such a fast pace due to super smart colleagues and all the responsibility I've been given.

Cons

As the company has been growing rapidly — both in revenue and number of employees— since the beginning, there are naturally a lot of things broken all the time. This sometimes manifests as lack of clear direction, lack of leadership, miscommunication or piling up of responsibilities. Overall, the Smartly.io has done good job at quickly fixing the most important things once they have been identified.

However, I can't recommend the company for people who can't stand uncertainty and some amount of chaos. A certain level of proactiveness and self-leadership is required to survive.

Smartly.io Response

Feb 11, 2018 – Talent Communications

Hi! Thank you for leaving this review. Great to hear you're enjoying the culture at Smartly.io and that you're able to maximize your learning with us. It's true that as we're growing so quickly... More

"Great place for people who like Digital Marketing in an international environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Helsinki, Southern Finland (Finland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Helsinki, Southern Finland (Finland)

I have been working at Smartly.io full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, great international opportunities, interesting customers and career opportunities. International environment.

Smartest possible colleagues to learn from.

Leadership cares about the company and its employees.

Cons

You need to like fast-paced working environment and digital marketing to thrive here. For anyone joining, think first if you are willing to be there.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Make sure that Smartly.io does not ever turn into a corporation. Keep the great culture and employees since that is the biggest value that Smartly.io can offer.