Smartsheet Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Smartsheet CEO Mark Mader
Mark Mader

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I'm not overworked, though -- we have a great work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Fast paced work environment, never gets boring (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • This company is growing FAST, so everything is exceptionally fast paced (in 7 reviews)

• There are no cons about Smartsheet (in 5 reviews)

"friendly to employees"

I have been working at Smartsheet part-time

Pros

it is nice working at Smartsheet. The culture is open and you can tell company values employees a lot.

Cons

the employees here are less diverse. Over 80% are whites

"Feels like the right place to be at the right time"

Current Employee - Client Development Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Client Development Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Smartsheet (Less than a year)

Pros

The product sells well. The salary and commission can be very good. You get the best computer hardware out there. Lots of room to climb the ladder if you work hard. Great training team and management team. The company is on the verge of going big.

Cons

Not everyone gets equal selling opportunity. As we grow the books of business get more and more fragmented. Those that have been here a while keep their best accounts and shuffle the rest. The early bird definitely got the worm. But that’s not to say that you won’t make money. Lots of newcomers are hitting their numbers or exceeding them. Attitude is everything, and a willingness to work hard goes a long way with management.

Advice to Management

Some new folks are struggling and need encouragement not pressure. Constant pressure to hit your number and work harder is not going to get reps to hit their numbers.

Not everyone has the same account quality. Start varying quota based on the book of business and its potential revenue rather than having all reps be expected to hit the same numbers.

"Good company accept the SDR team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The CDM team is great! The management is very supportive and they set you up to succeed in that role. Most of the account are fairly healthy and customers generally like the product.

Cons

Unfortunately all teams aren’t created equal, atleast in the sales vertical. The poor SDR’s are micromanaged and treated like 2nd class citizens. And it’s now becoming a trend that when they go to HR about their mistreatment, they’re fired. I didn’t realize Smartsheet was the type of company that tolerated retaliation against employees for expressing their concerns. HR is supposed to be a safe place, but apparently not at this company. I’m lucky enough to be apart of a great team there and haven’t had a reason to go but I feel like if I ever did, my days here would be numbered.

Advice to Management

Stop firing people for going to HR. It’s blatant retaliation.

Smartsheet Response

Nov 1, 2017 – Smartsheet

Thanks for your feedback. We’re glad you appreciate the client development (CDM) sales culture in Boston. The sales development representative (SDR) position provides an early-career entry point to... More

"Love the environment here"

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Shoreline, WA
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Shoreline, WA

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are willing to help transfer knowledge here. You are working with smart and dedicated people who sincerely not only believe in the product but enjoy working with it as well also.

The goals of the company is also projected in a very transparent manner where you know the same vision as the executives.

This company is the complete opposite of where I was coming from. Talent and hard work will keep you engaged.

Cons

None yet. I am still pretty new, but the only con I could see is possibly losing the current culture with all the growth. I hope growth numbers don’t supersede quality of work life.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. With the amount of growth coming up, processes could get a bit laxed but so far, I love the openness from the top down.

"I love working here!"

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time

Pros

Well vetted team, everyone is competent, friendly, and open.
    Fast paced work environment, never gets boring.
    High autonomy, management is there to support, not restrict.
    Excellent communication between employees and departments.
    Very open to new ideas and innovations.
    Excellent product and strong growth.

Cons

Haven't really encountered a single notable issue while working there.

Advice to Management

Any suggestions I have for management I can usually relay directly. They're very receptive.

6. "Best company I've worked for in my career!"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Smartsheet part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Leadership is fantastic here, that is one thing that really got me excited about Smartsheet. Everyone is very invested with the company, brand and growth! All employees are super helpful and go the extra mile to ensure everyone is successfull.

Cons

Smartsheet has been great! No cons yet.

Advice to Management

None.

"Growth with minimal growing pains"

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time

Pros

Perks, people, opportunity, growth, culture.

Cons

If you don't like a fast-growing company, you might feel uncomfortable here. I don't personally mind it, but it's unique when there are new hires in the office every single week.

"Best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a senior software developer, I'm entrusted with driving projects from start to finish. I spend the vast majority of my time actually working, not attending meetings and managing a busy email inbox. I write much more code than I have at any other job. I'm not overworked, though -- we have a great work/life balance. I'm expected to show up, do my job well, and then go home. The lack of ping pong tables is intentional.

We have great opportunities for professional development. Employees give weekly brownbags on relevant tech topics, there's plenty of budget for books and tools, and conferences can be attended. There was a recent group git training for employees who wanted to improve their skills and college hires are taken through an early career development program where they're paired with senior developers for mentoring. There's an overall culture of learning.

Finally, I enjoy working with everyone on the team. I sit intermingled with QA and product management and have great communication with them. Everyone has joint ownership of the product and takes pride in it. It's a mature, supportive atmosphere where people work well together and try to do the right thing.

Cons

The company is growing very quickly and what worked for a company of 100 doesn't always work as well at a company of 600. The biggest thing I see now is communication can break down and some people just don't get the information that they need. It's a recognized problem and the company is actively trying to improve the situation by learning from projects that both do well and do poorly. I'm confident they'll find the right balance of formalizing things a bit while not getting to the "all communication must be in email" culture of some big companies.

We tend to have pretty bad name recognition. You'll end up explaining what Smartsheet is to most people you talk to. That's improving, but not fast enough. It's a hard problem, since we're not a consumer product. The good news is that everyone I've met who knows Smartsheet has great things to say about it, there have just been very few of those people.

"Okay"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Smartsheet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small Company, good benefits, nice CEO

Cons

Bad strategy lead to challenges in sales, company struggling

"Exceptional Workplace"

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time

Pros

Positive culture, team-work minded, fun-loving, hard working environment. I haven't experienced anything like Smartsheet, and I can't imagine a better business to be a part of.

Cons

This company is growing FAST, so everything is exceptionally fast paced. If you're looking for a slow-paced job, Smartsheet might not be the place for you.