Smartsheet Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Smartsheet CEO Mark Mader
Mark Mader

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I'm not overworked, though -- we have a great work/life balance" (in 18 reviews)

• "Great product that every employee uses and loves themselves" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company is growing so with that comes some pains that requires flexibility" (in 7 reviews)

• "There are no cons at the moment" (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Still having a blast!"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product that every employee uses and loves themselves. Positive attitude of those around you. Complete accountability and collaboration. If somethings broken, it's fixed.

Cons

Compared to other companies I have worked for, it is really hard to think of any cons. It has the stability of a mature company, with the perks of a growth company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency!

2. "Growing Company with Great Leadership"

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The leadership is extremely passionate and really seems to care about the employees and takes initiative in listening to our feedback to promote positive changes.
    - The culture and environment is filled with bright people who are very passionate about the product
    - We are encouraged to influence or make improvements both on the product side and operational side of things
    - Stocked up kitchen with free snacks and beverages
    - Casual dress code
    - The stock benefits are top notch

Cons

- The environment is generally fast paced so sometime things can get hectic and might not be the optimal environment for everyone
    -401k program can be improved
    -No tuition assistance program for continuing education

Advice to Management

Overall, most people at Smartsheet really seems to love being here. Continue to invest not only in the product and customers, but also the employees. Create opportunities for employees to continue to build or pivot into their desired career paths at Smartsheet so we never have to make the decision to leave.

"Best company I’ve worked for.... incredible growth opportunities, amazing culture!"

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you’re looking to join Smartsheet, please know that recent negative reviews are not an accurate reflection of the company culture as a whole. I’ve been at Smartsheet for nearly three years and have seen the company grow from 400 to now over 1100 employees. From day one the culture has been one of support, top-notch talent, transparency, and genuine enthusiasm for the product and our customers. That hasn’t changed, despite the rapid growth and going public. Smartsheet is a company of progress, not perfection. That means there will inevitably be some growing pains. But, with that growth comes ample opportunities for employees to drive improvements and make an impact. In my opinion, what makes the company are the people. Everyone I’m surrounded by day in and day out are wicked smart, creative, friendly, and embody company values, which pushes me to grow professionally and personally. I feel very fortunate to call myself a Smartsheeter.

Cons

The fast-paced culture isn’t for everyone. You can’t just skate by at the company….you have to bring your A-game.

Advice to Management

While Smartsheet has made progress on this front, I’d love to see the company offer fully paid parental leave. Other than that, keep doing what you’re doing!

4. "Great product, great team"

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time

Pros

Opportunities for growth and impact

Cons

Growth brings need for process/system improvements

"Great Start-up, Beware Politics"

I worked at Smartsheet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* great stock
    * smart people

Cons

*beware politics within leadership that trickle down

"It's the team that fuels our growth"

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Corporate culture that values accountability and discipline, but even more so it values respect and relationships. The team here is exceptional and I enjoy coming into work each day to work with such great people. CEO Mark Mader is extremely transparent and prioritizes regular communication with the team.

Cons

I've been here over a year and I'm not feeling the downsides. Surely some leaders and teams are different, but I feel empowered and respected. Commuting to Bellevue sucks but the company pays $200/m for parking, commuting, or bus.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in people. Excited about the new programs coming online in 2019 around Learning and Development, new benefits, process improvements, etc. These operational and HR benefits will help bridge the gap between our company and some of the smaller startups with ridiculous perks. Focus hard on what benefits will attract engineers from those companies and the culture we need to attract talent in that department specifically.

"Attention future Smartians..."

Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I worked at Smartsheet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*World-class executive leadership
    *Amazing perks
    *Talented and helpful teammates
    *Great recognition programs
    *Solid base pay

Cons

*Translucent middle-management sales leaders
    *It's clear when management tries to make you quit so they don't have to pay severance
    *Grudge-holding managers; not repairable
    *Constrained promotion path
    *Poor commission metrics
    *Post-IPO, very disappointing all-around

Advice to Management

The above is my personal experience. I post this so new hires know what they're getting into. Building your plan from day one, and identifying the type of person your manager is early on is critical to your success in this type of environment.

Smartsheet Response

Feb 28, 2019 – Smartsheet

Thank you for providing feedback. I’m glad to hear that you have confidence in our leadership and value our people. I am sorry to hear about your feelings regarding sales managers, and if there are... More

"Growing pains? Or questionable organizational structure"

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time

Pros

The location is good, everyone is nice, successful sales keeps the company's long-term outlook healthy

Cons

If you're working with data, it might be an unending exercise in frustration.  Depending on your role, you aren't going to have access to data, definitions, or tools to help you be successful and you'll go through a maze of hoops just to get the materials you need to make reports that people aren't even going to look at more than once.  That's even if there's any data at all, because you might spend a lot of time making reports of a fictitious scenario that may or may not (probably not, if you are skeptical) play out that way, rendering your work useless.  So partially because of all this, there's a reasonable chance you won't learn anything because you won't ever have the chance to ask (or get answers to) the questions you want to make yourself better and more productive (the science side, the best practices side) because you're still on step 1, which is "acquire data that might not even exist".

"Avoid SDR department at all costs"

Current Employee - SDR in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - SDR in Boston, MA

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay check and health insurance.

Cons

Where to begin...

Tons of counterproductive inefficiencies within sales, especially in the SDR department. Managers creating work just for the sake of work, tons of meaningless rules and bloated procedures that only hinder reps and cause unneeded frustration. Other parts of sales have their own issues, but being an SDR at Smartsheet is really nothing but grunt work. Managers lie and manipulate constantly. The OTE that they dangle in front of you is unattainable for anyone who isn’t working 10+ hours per day, each and every day, yet they claim that work/life balance is great. Yeah right…

Managers lack both management skills and sales skills. They’re also petty, engage in destructive office politics and they are purely self serving. They take credit for all the good and pass all the bad directly onto reps. Top down, heavy-handed management instead of being supportive, helpful and understanding.

The quota is set unrealistically high and despite constant feedback and complaints, Management does absolutely nothing to address this. Instead, SDRs are blamed for having poor performance, even if they miss their number slightly and management uses this as leverage to hold back promotions, dock your pay and ultimately fire you. SDRs who are smart, helpful and good team members have been fired because of a this culture of unreasonable metrics. Extremely high quota means that some SDRs pass lots of low quality opportunities on to sales reps, which is double the amount of time and resources wasted by the company. The teams would benefit massively from a re-focus on generating quality business opportunities, instead of chasing unrealistic numbers for the sake of numbers. Typically the SDRs who win at this task are the same ones that become poor quality sales reps, once they are promoted for juking the stats and cooking the books.

Ongoing training and career development are absolutely nonexistent. You are simply there to grind away all day long doing grunt work and are given no time or resources for improving knowledge of the product, improving sales skills or exploring other career development options. You are chained to your desk the entire workday, mindlessly clicking buttons and made to feel bad when you miss your number, even when it comes down entirely to luck. They promise the world in terms of promotions, but delay, defer and deny. A year down the road, when you’re still stuck in the same crap, suddenly the great company they promised during your interviews doesn’t look so great after all.

Managers get to work from home all of the time but SDRs are not allowed to at all, even when your performing well.

CEO Mark Mader seems to have his heart in the right place and is a good leader, but I think he’s lost sight of what’s happening lower down in the organization as the company has grown and middle management is not being held accountable to the “values” that the company claims to hold. Quality oversight is lost as the company scales and it’s becoming just another generic, out-of-touch software company.

No 401K match

Advice to Management

Fire the managers and leadership responsible for these problems and promote some of the well-liked SDR’s who are knowledgeable, helpful, courteous, humble and friendly or hire outside talent that can functionally manage a team and refine the process as such. Stop putting self-serving, unfriendly and closed-minded people in positions of power. Instead, fill these positions with open-minded people, who genuinely care about the success of the SDRs they manage. Leadership roles should be filled with inspiring individuals, not dictators. Promote based on merit and skill, not favoritism.

Open your ears and listen to the feedback that you’re getting from virtually every single SDR. Stop pretending like everything is great and that this is a great place to work for all employees. It really isn’t. Stop promoting brown-nosing sycophants and enabling manager to play favorites. Stop having people write fake Glassdoor reviews to reduce the impact of the negative reviews that keep popping up. It’s well known that this is happening and it’s obvious anyway. Stop doing damage control and actually fix the problems.

Be a forward-thinking company and treat sales reps across the board, even lowly SDRs, like human beings. Realize that many of the managers and directors are despised by their direct reports and are absolutely awful at their jobs. Get rid of these people.

"Was great when I started, now experiencing a mass exodus of great people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Smartsheet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I first started at Smartsheet I loved everything about the company. Everyone was deeply invested and we were moving forward during a very exciting time. Benefits are still great, everyone has equity and the company just went public. Great product and I think the support team still provides world-class support to customers.

Cons

Having said all of that, most of the people that made Smartsheet a success and a great company to work for are gone. Now people are being hired into the organization above the real movers and shakers , causing many of them to leave and killing the culture. I still talk to lots of friends there. All areas of Smartsheet are declining. The really smart people are leaving and the company has completely lost its culture, with boot-licking and back-stabbing becoming more common. This is across mostly engineering and support, but I hear rumors from every department.

Advice to Management

Not enough effort went into growing while maintaining culture. This will backfire but I don't think anyone at the company cares since they're now public and all they care about is the bottom line. Way to screw up what was once a shining example of a great company culture.

Smartsheet Response

Dec 21, 2018 – Smartsheet

I’m glad to read that you still believe in the product and services we deliver for our customers. It is absolutely true that Smartsheet continues to grow and evolve, and that being a public company... More