Smartsheet Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Smartsheet CEO Mark Mader
Mark Mader

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I'm not overworked, though -- we have a great work/life balance" (in 18 reviews)

• "Great product that customers love and that is constantly improving" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company is growing so with that comes some pains that requires flexibility" (in 7 reviews)

• "There are no cons at the moment" (in 9 reviews)

"Client Development Manager"

Current Employee - Client Development in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Client Development in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Smartsheet (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been at this company for five years now and have no desire to leave. The product is the future of work collaboration, leadership is world class, and the company culture is fun and fast pace.

If applicants are looking for a rewarding job that gives its employees the opportunity to make a real difference - look no further than smartsheet.

Cons

Commute for Seattle residents can be long

"New Account Specialist"

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great Manager
    -Changing environment
    -Great product that people/customers love
    -Opportunity for growth
    -Constantly Learning
    -Constantly trying to improve
    -Free snacks/drinks

Cons

Nothing really - always wanting to make more money and advance faster in my career but that will come with time

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

"6 month recap"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The energy here is incredible. Everyone has so much passion for the product and for each other's success. Help is always around the corner and easy to find, new ideas are always welcome, your voice feels heard, and you're encouraged to be the best version of yourself both inside and outside of work.

Cons

As with any scaling business, there are growing pains, but leadership makes an effort to get feedback from all departments and employees on how to maintain culture and values.

Advice to Management

Know that your presence and attentiveness is invaluable to the way we operate.

"Was great when I started, now experiencing a mass exodus of great people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Smartsheet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I first started at Smartsheet I loved everything about the company. Everyone was deeply invested and we were moving forward during a very exciting time. Benefits are still great, everyone has equity and the company just went public. Great product and I think the support team still provides world-class support to customers.

Cons

Having said all of that, most of the people that made Smartsheet a success and a great company to work for are gone. Now people are being hired into the organization above the real movers and shakers , causing many of them to leave and killing the culture. I still talk to lots of friends there. All areas of Smartsheet are declining. The really smart people are leaving and the company has completely lost its culture, with boot-licking and back-stabbing becoming more common. This is across mostly engineering and support, but I hear rumors from every department.

Advice to Management

Not enough effort went into growing while maintaining culture. This will backfire but I don't think anyone at the company cares since they're now public and all they care about is the bottom line. Way to screw up what was once a shining example of a great company culture.

Smartsheet Response

Dec 21, 2018 – Smartsheet

I’m glad to read that you still believe in the product and services we deliver for our customers. It is absolutely true that Smartsheet continues to grow and evolve, and that being a public company... More

"Amazing company to work for!"

Current Employee - Client Development Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Client Development Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Manageable goals with very fair compensation. I love what I sell, can make a great paycheck selling it.
    -Our customers are truly fantastic and they love Smartsheet. It's so rewarding working with companies that value what you offer.
    -I fully trust the management teams here- Starting with very competent and sharp front-line managers, directors and VPs, all the way to the top I know that the leadership team has our best interests in mind.
    -Great culture- Everyone is aligned on Company goals and helps each other. The competition is healthy, not counterproductive.

Cons

-Nothing major, just the typical fast-growing software company challenges that you'll see at any similar organization

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and investing in your people and product!

"Great Company, Mid Management is Lacking"

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Executive level is truly an inspiring crew of people.

Cons

3 Levels down and the quality really varies. My department feels at odds with the culture of the company. I didn't join to be burned out by unmanageable goals and little compensation.

Advice to Management

Poll the peons and see what groups are unhappy.

"The best place to work"

Current Employee - Commercial Sales in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Commercial Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smartsheet continues to excel in every aspect. From company culture to business outlook to upward and lateral mobility, this is the place to be. Employees at Smartsheet own their work and understand that the job is never done. Every step in the right direction is just a landing point to get to the next landmark. Managers are transparent, helping hands are everywhere, and the executive leadership team has the right mindset about the strategic direction of the organization.

Cons

No concerning cons at the time.

Advice to Management

Continue to perform at the highest possible standard and continue to inform employees about company initiatives. An organization like this thrives when people truly feel invested in what they're doing. As the company grows in headcount, continue to foster the hive mindset that exists.

"All Work, No Play"

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Depending on your leader and team, you can be really happy here. Some leaders are just that, leaders, and others definitely need training or shouldn't be employed at this company.
    -My leader allows for good balance between work and personal life, appreciates members of the team constantly, and does their best to ensure that we are fulfilled.

Cons

-Vet out the leadership on the team you are potentially joining. Ask the hard questions, because not all are created equal.
    -The company seems to be moving away from this idea of appreciating their employees through different acts of celebration. Sure, we have recognition awards for hitting expectations of our jobs, but "recognition is about results and appreciation is about who people are" (--Mike Robbins). There isn't an opportunity allowing us to feel as though we are truly appreciated - that all of the hard work every single person puts into our organization is 100% valued by our leaders. There's been this culture shift that has come with our growth and becoming a public company where, from the top down, the work you do feels thankless. Again, unless you have a direct manager/leader who knows and understands how to appreciate and recognize your work, you may not feel valued.
    -There has also been a shift within our company that feels as though we're turning into an organization that doesn't stop and ENJOY one another. It's all work and no play. Some people may appreciate that about a company; however, Kevin Carroll once wrote: "Play in the workplace is serious business" and "when humans are play deprived we become more depressed, fixed and rigid in our thinking, less resilient, more risk averse and isolated, more emotionally and physically burned out, and less able to thrive and survive."

Advice to Management

-See cons
    -At the end of the day, I'm really confident that our leadership can and will help us hold onto what the Smartsheet culture has always been. I understand that with the amount of growth and the shift to becoming a public company is overwhelming (to say the least) and is never an easy adjustment. Things will inevitably change, but it should not come at the expense of your employees.
    -It is my hope that leadership takes all feedback seriously - be it through Glassdoor, direct feedback, anonymous and indirect feedback or the like.
    -Stop convincing your employees to write positive reviews every time an honest and constructive review is written. It's there for a reason, likely because they don't feel heard or they do not trust their resources.
    -Which brings me to my next point, create more trust between your employees.
    -Train and develop every single leader you hire, from mid-level management all the way to executive-level leadership

Smartsheet Response

Dec 21, 2018 – Smartsheet

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. I appreciate that you remain confident that I and other Smartsheet leaders will guide us positively though our next phase of growth. Part of that... More

"NAS Leader"

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good location, good company, good product good coffee, good snacks, great Executive leadership at the top, but that’s all to mention

Cons

Being a part of the New Account Specialist team with lack good leaders and poor direction from the unfit leader of the division of sales can be challenging for most AE’s. Quota is completely random and difficult to keep up.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the leaders and start at the top in NAS department and shake down the managers it’s the only way you will be able to reignite the team. I wish I could share more but this is what needs to change first

"Sales Development team"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- My sales development managers here have been nothing but motivating and supportive
    - They take the time to work with you on your specific growth needs rather than just assuming everyone is on the same experience and knowledge level
    - Management does a great job setting people on the right track for promotion and setting realistic goals
    - Company wide, there is a great team environment and everyone is pushing for your success

Cons

- Due to company growth there is a high volume of inbound activity. Being good at multi-tasking is a MUST! This can become stressful at times but is a good problem to have.