Smashbox Cosmetics Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Smashbox Cosmetics Brand President Beth DiNardo
Beth DiNardo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Smart, creative people, great culture, best in class makeup, weekly chair massage, fun parties, inspiring leadership, excellent benefits, dog-friendly (in 4 reviews)

• The work environment: is ever changing and fast paced which helps me to thrive in my role (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management and disorganization (in 3 reviews)

• If you don't make your sales in a certain amount of time, your day gets cut early (in 2 reviews)

1. "Sales floor management"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Smashbox Cosmetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and amazing mentors. Products are outstanding .

Cons

Weekly pay can be off set by holidays

Advice to Management

Keep up with high demand items for your stores !

2. "Freelance makeup artist"

Current Employee - Freelance Makeup Artist in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Freelance Makeup Artist in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Smashbox Cosmetics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, with a great work environment

Cons

There are Not enough hours for freelancers to go around

"Area Aristry Trainer"

Former Employee - Area Artistry Trainer

I worked at Smashbox Cosmetics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

So many great pros!
    -Amazing training (when available)
    -Fun trips to Smashbox Studios
    -Made connections that will last a lifetime
    -Great steppingstone for career move
    -Taught me a lot about the beauty industry
    -Great training materials to take in store for brand partners
    -Some fun gratis

Cons

-A lot of turn over in the last few years. I had two wonderful leaders that we lost to other companies, and one really bad boss which was the reason you lost me to another company.
    -Back biting, and people clawing their way to the top makes for a toxic work environment. This happened higher up in the company as well, and so it set a bad tone for the work culture.
    -People put in leadership positions without leadership skills (or people skills)
    -Being a remote AAT you need extra attention, but my last boss never visited me/my territory (of three states) in over a year while she was my boss. She doesn't care about her employees, and is a complete micro-manager. I would get physically ill every time before I would have to speak to her. It was a shame because I used to love Smashbox before her.

Advice to Management

-Remember that people work for people. This is the most important key to business. If you take care of your employees, everything else will follow.

4. "Unorganized"

I worked at Smashbox Cosmetics full-time

Pros

Casual atmosphere, nice people. you can bring your dog, lots of social events.

Cons

Extremely high turnover. Very unorganized, but levels vary depending on what department you are in.

5. "Love the company"

I have been working at Smashbox Cosmetics full-time

Pros

Wonderful company thus far. If you want growth they'll give you that chance! Upper management really takes time to get to know they're employees.

Cons

Pretty much just the fact that it's retail and you have to climb the ladder if you want more of a corporate level Job. Growth takes some time but if they see the potential and hard work then it'll come

Advice to Management

None at the moment

6. "Area Artistry Trainer"

Former Employee - Area Artistry Trainer

I worked at Smashbox Cosmetics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, gratis program, company phone, company card, mileage, product training, weekly pay, bonus if company as a whole does well.

Cons

The company has changed. Used to be leaders in innovation, now are followers. Micromanaged ... you are pretty much a freelancer with perks. We were paid hourly instead of salary, but still worked salary hours without the pay. Too much busy work for no reason b

Advice to Management

Give your Artistry Trainers more respect. They are the ones that are on the field. They have a better understanding of the business of their stores/territories.

"DON'T DO IT! STRESSFUL ENVIRONMENT!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I worked at Smashbox Cosmetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free quarterly Gratis, samples. Monthly department happy hour. Bring your dog to work. Good portfolio pieces. Resume booster. Occasional celebrity spotting in studios. Cafe / free coffee.

Cons

Politics, bullying and mean girls! Upper management and disorganization! No creative process, lack of leadership. Forever revolving door high turnover department. I've ended up wearing lots of hats and undergoing numerous responsibilities. Not even sure what my main job description was. One person should not be responsible with that many tasks in print packaging, product development, gondola visuals, product shoot concepts, art direction, product retouching, seasonal campaign designs, executive branding presentations and more. There was no work life balance here, that doesn't exist in the beauty corporate world.

Advice to Management

Company should go through a massive re-org. Have set, and better resources for each teams. Print, Digital, Merchandising, Photo. (suggest an entire photo team) Have multiple Leaders so they're not drained. There should be work life balance.

8. "One of the best experiences of my life"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Pros

The brand’s culture:dynamic, hardworking and fun loving.
    The work environment: is ever changing and fast paced which helps me to thrive in my role. I am always being challenged – in the most positive sense of the word. I am always growing, changing and learning new things. My hard word, dedication is always appreciated.
    Amazing perks: amazing health care benefits (including vision & dental), generous vacation time and bonus holiday paid time off, paid sick time off, volunteering opportunities in which the company converts volunteer hours into $ or matches donations,, 401K; Friday massages, Tuesday yoga, Wellness Day, Summer and Holiday parties, Summer Fridays, monthly lunches, Happy Hours

Cons

Minimal meeting space but business and meeting needs expanding

Advice to Management

Management is hard working and accessible at all time, always finding ways to improve the culture and work environment and striving to make Smashbox the best work place, tuned in and listening to their teams.

9. "Amazing brand, great products & fun company culture"

Pros

Amazing brand, great products & fun company culture. The benefits this company has to offer are extremely hard to beat and our Summer Friday hours are so valued!

Cons

Heavy work loads and employees wearing "multiple hats".

10. "Freelance Artist"

Pros

Creative, flexible, energetic culture

Cons

Consistent pay issues. Was paid (weeks to months) late approximately 75% of the time.