Smashburger Guest Service Expert Reviews | Glassdoor

Carl Bachmann
0 Rating
  1. "Environment"

Guest Service Expert in Denver, CO

I worked at Smashburger for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers, general manager, and regional district manager. Fun environment, and everyone was super nice.

Cons

You get some rude people once in awhile

Advice to Management

N/A

Smashburger2015-05-27
  2. "-"

Former Employee - Guest Service Expert in Buena Park, CA

I worked at Smashburger part-time for more than a year

Pros

they have a very flexible schedule

Cons

not enough pay for work or pay with different positions

Smashburger2019-07-26
  3. "Needs Restructuring"

Former Employee - Guest Service Expert in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Smashburger part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Supportive colleagues with great teamwork practices - Some managers at my location recognized hard-working employees through the provision of gold-star pins & badges, which I really appreciated - Having shift leads and assistant managers that were people of color! - Met some great people and customers, who I still keep in touch with - My workplace was within walking distance of my school

Cons

- GSEs, cooks and managers were not paid a liveable $15/hr wage (similar restaurants pay as high as $10-$12/hr) - Needs more diverse and proactive hiring practices: when I worked there, all hired GSEs at my location were female and I'm not sure why (I remember this because I looked at the entire public roster of hired employees at my location periodically & all the GSEs were female) - Lack of promotion from within the company: I was actively prevented from moving up the managerial ladder long before I left, despite all the hard work and effort I put into my role, without ever complaining. I was not even permitted to transfer to a Smashburger location closer to home after I completed school. - Provision of more scheduled hours appeared to fall more along lines of favoritism (in my opinion) - Lack of college scholarship opportunities for current employees at the time - No free meals during long shifts for GSEs (exceptions to this rule were only made by manager on duty) is inhumane, when many other companies do this bare minimum for their staff - Staff are not permitted to accept tips from customers, according to their contract - My complaints and evidenced concerns were met with some hostility by management at times

Advice to Management

This applies more to those at the corporate/executive level but treating your employees well = good business. Prioritize you employees, especially your managers and your GSEs. You have to, HAVE TO, pay your employees well at every location, otherwise you will lose staff to other companies. Smashburger is not the only fast food restaurant that has this problem, but compared to other restaurants, their hourly wages and employee benefits are among the lowest.

Smashburger2019-05-29

"Good for a first job?"

Current Employee - Guest Service Expert in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Smashburger part-time for less than a year

Pros

Depending on the location, staff is really nice and sometimes your manager will give you free food.

Cons

Customers are really rude, don’t really understand that it isn’t fast food and can’t get your order out in time. Too many people scheduled for a slow day and under scheduled on days we need help the most. Girls (like me) are usually hired to work as GSE’s as the prettier and nicer you are the more you can sell, but it puts us in a weird position to get harassed by customers and can’t do anything about it.

Advice to Management

Learn to properly schedule. When it comes to getting harassed by older creepy men, give us the option of refusing service it puts us and younger gse’s at risk sometimes.

Smashburger2019-02-05

"Dear Lord Do Not Work Here"

Former Employee - Guest Service Expert in Medford, MA

I worked at Smashburger part-time for less than a year

Pros

There are literally none. I would say the 6 month raises but they don't actually do them. Or they do the first one and you'll never get another one again

Cons

Smashburger is the worst place I have ever worked at. In the Medford, MA location, employees would be hired and leave within at most 3 weeks. The turnover rate was over 9/10 employees. The only people who stay for more than a month are the managers. I worked here for 8 months because they tricked me into thinking they cared about me when they really didn't. I finally quit almost a year later and I will spend my talent elsewhere. Working at Smash was hell. Wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy

Advice to Management

Smashburger needs a total management overhaul. Just start from 0

Smashburger2019-02-20
  6. "pros/cons smashburger"

Former Employee - Guest Service Expert in Cypress, TX

I worked at Smashburger part-time for less than a year

Pros

fairly easy job-straightforward to take orders/clean, smaller restaurant so less space to take care of

Cons

boss not super accommodating for hours, kind of slow sometimes, if kitchen is slow then cashier will be blamed

Smashburger2018-12-26
  7. "OK first job"

Former Employee - Guest Service Expert

I worked at Smashburger part-time for less than a year

Pros

Variety of experiences, learn valuable skills in customer service, easy to get in touch with corporate

Cons

Incompetent/oft-shifting management that necessitated getting in touch with corporate in the first place

Smashburger2018-10-02

"Bad management"

Former Employee - Guest Service Expert in Houston, TX

I worked at Smashburger part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great food, employees are nice people, managers are nice too

Cons

The management is terrible at staffing the restaurant. Employees are always understaffed, or are not briefed on new items.

Advice to Management

Allow budget to account for more employees to be on the floor at once.

Smashburger2018-09-03

"GSE"

Former Employee - Guest Service Expert/Cook in Eagan, MN

I worked at Smashburger part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good community, and many possibilities for promotion if you can handle the hours. Work ethic tends to be high, and low performers got kicked out relatively quickly. Compared to McDonalds, plenty of time to rest.

Cons

If you intend to rise in the company ranks at any level, be prepared to work a terrifying amount of hours. If you are promoted to Assistant Manager, take hourly pay rather than salary - you will be working 50-60 hours a week. General Managers are salary only, and tend to work even more. The labor matrix is decided by people who only look at statistics - they have no idea what makes the store work, or how the store got those statistics in the first place. They just see the numbers and go "yeah whatever they can have 40 hours on a Friday because two years ago this Friday wasn't very hard". Due to the above problems, working the job can be very stressful for the amount of money paid. I was up there at $10.50 an hour, and even then it wasn't quite worth it to go in. It was easier than McDonalds, but far from simple. You're also expected to have a higher amount of personal responsibility. Thanks to the area I was in, we had a lot of very snobby suburban types coming into the store. Easy to handle so long as you know how, but if you don't expect a lot of trouble with them.

Advice to Management

Stop opening new stores all the time, for god's sake. I watched three solid General Managers get shuffled out the door just as they started to figure the store out, because you opened up a new one in the armpit of nowhere and they needed it opened by someone competent. It leads to an awkward atmosphere where the regular employees know more about what's going on than the guys running the store, and that is a terrible thing to have when your employees are kids. Basically you had high schoolers trying to boss around people who'd been in the business for ten years, and those ten year veterans couldn't even really talk back too hard. It completely disturbed the power dynamic within the store, and made everything downright stupid. It's not even as if the replacements were incompetent - they were just ignorant as to the intricacies of the store. And if you give high school kids a means to lord something over an actual adult, they'll take it in an instant. Also stop being stupid with your labor. You already make over a thousand dollars in profit most days, just add even five more hours and you'll have much happier employees.

Smashburger2016-09-15
  10. "FOH Guest Service"

Current Employee - Guest Service Expert in Wheaton, IL

I have been working at Smashburger part-time for more than a year

Pros

Work is not too strenuous but keeps you active. Management works around your schedule not theirs. Employees are friendly and fun to work with.

Cons

Sometimes you have to stay past your scheduled shift if there's a rush. Sometimes customers get overly angry about something. You go home smelling like burgers :)

Smashburger2015-08-31