Smashburger Shift Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Smashburger President   Carl Bachmann
Carl Bachmann
0 Rating
  1. "Great Management Team!!"

Current Employee - Shift Manager

I have been working at Smashburger full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

“I love the people at Smashburger including my mentors. I have had many along the way that have devoted so much of their time to make sure that I was successful. The passion my peers and mentors show me is refreshing and it feels like a family. “

Cons

I love what I do and where I work and can't see myself working anywhere else.

Smashburger2014-03-28
  2. "Maximum workloads, (key holder) with upper management responsibilities, underpaid."

Former Employee - Shift Leader/Manager in Nampa, ID

I worked at Smashburger full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good hours. Decent medical for the cost after 1 year employment; biweekly payments. Good place to learn alot in a short time.

Cons

Very low pay for the amount of responsibilities and expectations of upper management. The better you are at your job, the more you'll get to do other people's jobs as well (including the GM's).

Advice to Management

Communicate with management, and know what's in it for you. Get things in writing. There is always constant promises for pay raise or promotion with no ending results. Management is always "dangling the carrot in front of the horse's mouth".

Smashburger2019-08-20
  3. "Shift Manager"

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Smashburger full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free/discounted food Fast paced environment

Cons

Awful management-specifically upper level So much favoritism in every store I worked in Management team never took me seriously Pay is just not good enough for how badly this company will screw you over I was sexually harassed for the entirety of my position in leadership as well as just harassed Such a high turnover Constantly understaffed-I always did 3 people’s jobs at once Just a hostile/stressful/lazy work environment I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO ANYONE

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees

Smashburger2018-09-11

"Walk all over you"

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Columbia, MD

I worked at Smashburger full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The employees/coworkers, and the regulars are the only things that keep many people still working there.

Cons

They are only looking out for themselves, their next bonus, and how they can save their next dollar without caring how the little people feel. They're about to sell and almost cut 401k match to make profit look better.

Advice to Management

Communicate better, and stand up better for your employees, make your voice heard

Smashburger2017-10-17

"Great place to work if you can avoid burning out"

Current Employee - Shift Manager

I have been working at Smashburger full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are great, it's usually a great environment to work in. There are some benefits once you become a manager: vacation time and a 401k (they match up to 6% of your check 100%). There are opportunities to move up, I started as a GSE and have the potential to move up to assistant manager. The new management seem to be making some positive changes, but the results of these changes have yet to be seen.

Cons

Stores are not often fully-staffed meaning the staff that are employed are sometimes overworked and if someone doesn't show up you aren't likely to find someone to come in and cover. The pay is not adequate in my opinion, and this is why they have such a high turnover rate. People burn out.

Advice to Management

You need to support your stores more by paying the employees that stay a more liveable wage or else face the fact that your turnover rate will continue to soar. Also, hiring new employees on for more than employees who've been with the company for an extended period of time is creating a lot of frustration and discontent among your GSE's and cooks.

Smashburger2017-01-09

"This is great"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Smashburger full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is great upward mobility, and one of their core foci is team member development. It is a great company to get your feet wet in the restaurant business with.

Cons

There is potential to be so much more. But corporate doesn't execute on it. Like I said it is a great place to get your feet wet but we can potentially push our people harder but don't.

Advice to Management

make the expectations on the store level more realistic. Some metric need to be tweeked and the prediction matrix needs to be fixed.

Smashburger2015-08-12

"great burgers crappy job"

Shift Manager

I worked at Smashburger

Pros

Free food. Some great people and great customers. Lots of overtime if you have no life.

Cons

Extremely demanding for very low pay. Have to prep, work the rush, get food out to order in a short time frame while being understaffed. Little or no recovery time/ help shift to shift

Advice to Management

Pay hire wages to attract more employees, better employees, stop rehiring previously fired employees

Smashburger2015-09-16

"No Bueno"

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Smashburger part-time for more than a year

Pros

I really enjoyed that I had great co-workers, easy work, the schedules tend to be pretty flexible.

Cons

The management tends be very unstable, we also had 3 district managers within a course of a year. The pay is not great, the managers like to take advantage of their employees.

Advice to Management

Hire managers that actually care about the company, and that have a good background in hospitality.

Smashburger2014-02-15

"Good job to gain experience."

Former Employee - Shift Manager

I worked at Smashburger part-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay (until they too away the tips) Good opportunities to move up. Great food Great and achievable expectations

Cons

Terrible higher up management. My GM was never around EVER and no one held him accountable for his hours and his management style. No AM for 6 mo. Regional Management should have been better on top of things.

Advice to Management

Keep better tabs on store managers, ask the shift managers how they are doing and how they feel about their managers. Bring back tips or raise pay. Pretty great company overall though.

Smashburger2012-11-13