Smashing Boxes Reviews | Glassdoor

Smashing Boxes Reviews

Updated Nov 15, 2019

3.7
Smashing Boxes CEO Nick Jordan (no image)
Nick Jordan
  1. "5 months in..."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Durham, NC

I have been working at Smashing Boxes full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Culture: First and foremost the people here are what it's all about. Everyone here gets along with one another. SB is an extremely supportive environment. It's really not a place where people gossip unless it's praise. Truly. We have a good time here! - Diversity in technology: Because of the nature of our business, we have a broad range of technologies in which we work. This makes every day a welcome challenge... to learn a vast array of stacks, tools, techniques, etc. - Location: It's right in Downtown Durham - one of the best cities in the state for technology, food, culture and lifestyle. There's a killer brewery across the street (of which we have kegs in house!). - $$$: It's a good living;)

Cons

- (same as one of the Pros) Diversity in technology: Having a broad range in technologies means that -unlike a single product shop - we don't typically do deep dives into any one technology. If you're looking to spend years learning any one technology inside and out, you may be disappointed. It's fast paced, dynamic and technologically diverse.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Killing it!

Smashing Boxes2019-11-15
  2. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Durham, NC

I have been working at Smashing Boxes full-time for more than a year

Pros

SB has been extremely flexible through my time here. I've gained a ton of experience since starting here and I am still learning. It's a solid group of folks that like to come in and get things done, then have fun.

Cons

Resourcing can get a little crazy sometimes.

Smashing Boxes2019-11-14
  3. "Excellent Place to Grow"

I worked at Smashing Boxes full-time

Pros

- Friday labs time allows you to explore new technologies and learn something new. - Variety of projects. Usually lasting anywhere from 3-6 months. Sometimes longer. - Smart and easy going coworkers. - Catered lunches on Friday. - Beer on tap. - Flexibility and work from home options. - New Moms get 3 months off. New Dads get 1 month off. (paid) - Nice, newer laptops.

Cons

- Lots of turnover as you would sort of expect at an agency. - Possibility of getting put on a not-so-desirable project. - Understanding how sales works within the company is pretty confusing. They try to keep people informed with new business when it is won. But before that it is very slow moving with little information.

Advice to Management

When turnover is happening more than normal and people seem to be getting uncomfortable with it - say something to put some confidence back into them. Hopefully with new directors coming in good things will happen. Hear people out. Having someone else involved in sells and finding clients and initial conversations could be useful.

Smashing Boxes2019-03-24

"Great people, great place"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Durham, NC

I worked at Smashing Boxes full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smashing Boxes manages to create a chill and pleasant environment while also working hard together to accomplish what needs to be done. You always have resources available when you need them. You can tell they’re really being intentional about their mission and trajectory as a company.

Cons

Like any agency, the work is going to revolve around the clients. SB tries to provide time and resources for developers to grow and work on projects that they “own”, but the vast majority of time is going to be spent on shorter term projects.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your developers 👍🏻

Smashing Boxes2019-03-12

"Free beer was nice"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Durham, NC

I worked at Smashing Boxes full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun culture for a young person, interesting projects, emphasis on learning

Cons

Crazy hours and pressure around deadlines, boozy culture wasn't healthy, low pay (some co-workers were easily paid half their worth), little isolation from clients, senior leadership didn't empower middle management to make the changes they needed to

Advice to Management

In the year leading up to my departure I saw two managers struggle to change some critical things for the better. Senior leadership wasn't involved enough in the day to day to understand these struggles. I'm hoping middle management and even senior technical staff are more empowered to make changes these days, I really do think the intense top-down pressure was really bad for the company.

Smashing Boxes2018-12-12
  6. "Endless Opportunities"

I worked at Smashing Boxes full-time

Pros

Outside of the typical project work, Smashing Boxes is a place that supports and encourages it's people to do what they love - whether it be in your job description or an idea stirring in your head. There are many opportunities to grow your skills, develop new skills and/or learn about other areas of interest within the business. Plus, the people are helpful, smart and genuinely care.

Cons

A lot of effort has been put into a shift in process and company values for the better!

Smashing Boxes2018-12-05
  7. "Growing company with great future"

I worked at Smashing Boxes full-time

Pros

Fun, entrepreneurial atmosphere. The company has the right amount of structure to operate efficiently, but encourages employees to be creative on both internal initiatives and customer engagements. From my perspective, Smashing Boxes consistently delivers value for local companies - both big and small - by providing technology solutions that drive business growth. Employees are part of a team that collaborates with... bright, local clients whose work has the potential to be the ‘next big thing’. Every day, employees have an opportunity to make a significant impact with an incredible team of designers, developers, product managers, and business personnel. Having the opportunity work directly with CEO Nick Jordan, I can confidently say that Smashing Boxes is under the right leadership with a focused vision to achieve long-term success.

Cons

Smashing Boxes employees need to be flexible and agile. If you are looking for concrete structure and direction, you may have a difficult time adapting.

Smashing Boxes2018-10-26

"Strong Future Vision"

I have been working at Smashing Boxes full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company went through some re-structuring over the last 12 months, that we are starting to see the fruits of. Friday standups and Labs afternoons are a great team building time. Family and other obligations matter. Flexible work schedule is huge

Cons

As with any small business/growth stage company, the work is never done.

Smashing Boxes2018-09-14

"Great Place to work"

I have been working at Smashing Boxes full-time for less than a year

Pros

They are very intentional about seeing employees be their best. This comes in the form of regular one-on-ones. There are plenty of opportunities for you to make your thoughts known. All in all, this is a company that cares about its employees. Another positive is just the lack of pretense around process. They are always asking the question of how to improve and are taking input. There's also a very good... work/life balance. There are times when you need to crunch to accomplish a task but on the whole, I found I was able to set up a stable schedule of workouts and family events. Good salary, time off, and retirement benefits.

Cons

Agency work can be very unsettling if you aren't adjusted to it which includes occasional downturns in the business. SB is slow to offload employees for which I am grateful but it does happen sometimes. Whole family health insurance is not subsidized which can get pretty costly.

Smashing Boxes2018-08-09

"DO NOT WORK HERE"

I worked at Smashing Boxes full-time

Pros

Coworkers are nice. So is the free beer and food on friday.

Cons

Where do I start? All projects are small and undersold -- then the teams are rushed to over deliver. Luckily they got rid of one of the sales guys but they are still having the same problem. CEO is extremely inappropriate with women. Many women did not feel comfortable being alone with him and even left the company because of what he would do and say -- extremely surprised there hasn't been a lawsuit yet. Upper... management plays favorites -- if they don't like you they will make your job miserable and you will be forced to quit and then they will continue to blame the person for their problems long after they are gone.

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter - the CEO will never change unless he gets caught.

Smashing Boxes2018-07-26