Smile Direct Club Reviews | Glassdoor

Smile Direct Club Reviews

Updated Oct 15, 2019

3.9
Smile Direct Club CEO David Katzman  (no image)
David Katzman

"A pleasant change"

Current Employee - Shop Manager

I have been working at Smile Direct Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Work/life balance compared to retail is great. Most shops close by 7pm and closed every Sunday. Provides you with some consistency in your life. -True sense of development and betterment for a greater good. You’re creating something life changing for your customers. -Coaching and developing employees is natural and meaningful since your customers are there to interact with you and you’re teaching them how to do... better for them. -Field leadership is accessible with many touch points throughout the week with them. -Supportive districts and comradery between managers. -Company strives to recognize strong performance. -You consistently feel like part of a “winning” team -Growth, growth, growth! So much potential. -Benefits package continue to get better every year including a great aligner benefit -Pay is competitive and there is a merit increase program yearly. -While you’ll definitely work hard and long days here and there, generally your workday will have a great flow and not be stressful. -Easy job to turn “off” at night and disconnect.

Cons

-Information overload at times. Teams never seem to know or be on the same page with proper protocol to complex situations. -Everything is treated like an urgent issue, and you may be required to drop whatever you’re doing on your day off to jump on a call or answer an email. -PTO is LOW compared to other companies. Gave up 2 weeks of PTO to come here. Salaried 40 hr/week team members accrue the same amount of PTO... as those working 30 hrs/wk. -Upper management can be a little intense on company wide calls at times. Have heard negative comments made about a team members performance. This has gotten better over time. -There’s a general sense of distrust of SmileShops. When you’re performing well, you’ll essentially be told by upper mgmt it could look like you’re doing things unethically to get results when you’re following all rules and protocols. -You’re expected to record everything. Appointments, coaching, etc. While it can be a great development tool, it’s also very overkill with how much is expected. -Bonus requirements seem to change monthly. -Healthcare benefits still not great. Some very important medications can cost me $300 a month.

Advice to Management

-Continue refining your relationship with SmileShops. The communication on calls has definitely improved and they feel much more supportive now than they used to. Trust that a majority of your shops are doing the right and ethical thing. Those that are not will be found out eventually. -Not everything needs to be treated so urgently. Respect days off and work/life balance. -Continue looking at the entire benefits... package. PTO needs to increase especially when team members who work 30 hrs vs 40 hrs accrue the same amount, and the overall amount is not competitive in the industry, just the base standard. Healthcare still needs an improvement, especially in prescription drug coverage. -Slow and steady wins the race. Ensure you’re prepared for the immense growth you’re planning and that your teams on the ground have what they need to accomplish what you want and that the pace is attainable and not rushed.

Smile Direct Club2019-03-13

March 20, 2019Specialist

Hi there, thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a detailed review. We're happy to hear about all of the things you enjoy at SmileDirectClub. We're concerned to hear about your cons and would love any additional feedback about your experience. Please reach out to your People & Organization Business Partner so that we can collect feedback and make improvements or email us at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com. Best, Madison

"This company is not what it markets itself as"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Smile Direct Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the people are good and there is opportunity to make friends if you are in your early to late 20’s.

Cons

This place is a sham. They tout work life balance, opportunity and ultruiatic motives in helping people get a smile. But internally this place is a joke, leadership wants the money and will do anything to get it. The heads of departments do not know what they are doing and lack the ability in dealing with people as humans, let alone employees. The work life balance does not exist. When a company has hundreds... of job openings and is desperate to recruit to the point that they tout fake news about themselves to get people in the door, you know it’s bad bad bad internally. Truly a joke of a place to work.

Advice to Management

Hire people that actually know what they are doing and aren’t solely driven by money.

Smile Direct Club2019-04-16

April 19, 2019Specialist

We appreciate you leaving us a review and are disheartened to hear about your experience. We strive to hire team members that have the customer at the heart of all that they do and want every team member to have a healthy work life balance. We do not want our team members to feel this way and we would love any ideas or improvements on what we could have done to resolve this. Please send us an email at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com. Best, Madison

"Work 24/7"

Former Employee - District Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Smile Direct Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

Growth/ People/ Growth/ People/Growth

Cons

Schedule/ Pay/ Executive team / Negative communication

Advice to Management

Work / Learn / Move on.

Smile Direct Club2019-03-25

March 29, 2019Specialist

Thank you for leaving us this feedback. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed the growth and the people, but are disappointed to hear about the things you didn't enjoy. We appreciate all feedback and would love to collect any additional feedback from you, so that we can continue to make improvements. Please send us an email at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com. Best, Madison

"Encouraged to support sub-par results and unethical practices ."

Former Employee - Dental Assistant

I worked at Smile Direct Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay, flexible work hours, growth potential

Cons

Smile Shop and District Managers know nothing about Orthodontics or Dental Health. Everything is based on numbers and marketing. Company needs to gather recent diagnostic xrays and periodontal exam info before accepting any case for treatment. To do less is unethical at best.

Advice to Management

Review your business practices, listen to your experienced Dental Hygienists and Assistants, Get signed informed consent from customers of compromised treatments prior to fabricating aligners. To do less will earn the company a Class action Lawsuit ...if it hasn't already.

Smile Direct Club2019-03-21

March 22, 2019Specialist

We truly appreciate you taking the time to leave us this feedback. We rely on our SmileGuides to provide the 3D scan, picture, and concerns to our fully licensed dentists and orthodontists who determine if the customer is eligible. Our People & Organization team is here to collect any feedback. Feel free to send an email to peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com, so that we can continue to improve and do right by our team members and customers. Best, Madison

"No Growth, Too many updates"

Current Employee - Smile Guide

I have been working at Smile Direct Club full-time

Pros

Pay, hours, reimbursement, uniform, Blurple

Cons

There are way too many changes within the company and nobody can do their job correctly because as soon as they get use to doing something it changes again. I’ve never been to a company where they have so many changes week by week. Management seems to be a company wide issue, as far as respect goes. I’ve witnessed myself and other peers be disrespected on many occasions by management and there is alot of favoritism... that happens. I’m very disappointed with the things that I’ve experienced here, when i first started i was super excited about working and everyone made it seem like it was such a great and fun place to work, but it is the complete opposite. I’ve been through so much since I’ve started and was actually going to quit but i stayed because i like what i do and im good at it, its the management that makes me not want to be here. I dont feel like i have any room to grow here and i dont feel like my manager likes me or has my best interest in mind.

Advice to Management

Be more conversational and a lot less demanding. Guide your employees in the right directions instead of bashing them or making them feel bad for making mistakes. Mistakes are going to happen and everyday is going to be 100% good but beind able to talk through the issues really makes a team strong. Hire managers with real dental background instead of sales backgrounds. Although its mostly a sales job we need real... experienced dental workers not manager from stores like GAP, TOYS R US, SUNGLASS HUT, etc!!!

Smile Direct Club2019-03-20

March 22, 2019Specialist

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review about your experience here at SmileDirectClub. Things change very quickly and we work hard to communicate those changes as often and effectively as possible. We're disappointed to hear about your experience with management as well and would love any feedback. Please reach out to your People & Organization Business Partner so that we can collect feedback and make improvements or email us at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com. Best, Madison

6. "SDC"

Former Employee - Smile Guide

I worked at Smile Direct Club part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun and easy going work enviorment

Cons

Following things to be said instead of naturally conversing

Smile Direct Club2019-02-28

February 28, 2019The People Team

We appreciate your feedback and support here. It's important to us to great a natural, fun, and hardworking environment. Thank you so much!

"Amazing atmosphere, meaningful work, and unlimited growth opportunities"

Help Desk Technician in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Smile Direct Club for more than a year

Pros

Very laid back and fun atmosphere, competitive pay, low cost insurance (medical, dental, vision), 401(k) match, a tremendous amount of growth opportunities, collaborative environment, leadership that listens to employees

Cons

Rapid growth can cause unexpected issues, which can be frustrating, but the growth is exciting. Personal Time (PTO) is laughably low.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! SmileDirectClub is the best employer I have ever had, and your team members see what a great place this is to be. PTO needs to be improved, many employers in the Nashville area offer almost double the amount of Personal Day.

Smile Direct Club2019-02-19

February 19, 2019The People Team

We appreciate your feedback and kind words here! We sure are proud of the growth opportunities and culture we have here -- that's important to us. As far as PTO goes, we are currently prioritizing examining our benefits package as a whole. We want to be sure we are supporting our team members adequately. We sure hope you will continue to share your input, and we thank you for all that you do.

"It's a great work in progress!"

Current Employee - Leader in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Smile Direct Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been with SmileDirectClub for several months and can attest to how quickly the organization is moving, and in the right direction. The excitement and engagement from every team member outweighs the occasion hard and/or long days. It is fast paced, exhilarating,and meaningful work that will help you grow and develop. The Leaders truly are Leaders - not 'bosses' and they care deeply for their teams. ... SmileDirectClub makes individual development a priority.

Cons

If you are afraid of hard work, then SmileDirectClub probably isn't for you - we work hard and sometimes that means we work a little longer than our friends. And, the PTO package isn't the most competitive, but it also isn't the worst I've seen.

Smile Direct Club2019-02-19

February 19, 2019The People Team

Thank you so much for your hard work and support of the team! We sure are proud of our leadership and the guidance and encouragement among team members. We appreciate that you called out our fast pace and hard work -- we always want our team members to know the unique speed that we work at. Thank you again for being part of our growth -- we appreciate you!

"Marketing"

Current Employee - Marketing in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Smile Direct Club full-time

Pros

Love working here. My manager and team are just amazing and so supportive. I have never been so happy. This company really values their employees and their input/ideas. I would have given 5 stars because this is seriously my dream job but benefits and PTO offered prevent me from doing so.

Cons

- Time off. You get two weeks of personal time off per year plus 5 floating holidays. Floating holidays have to be used the day before or after a holiday and they do not roll over the following year so that means that if you don’t use them you lose them. Also, only 40 hours of personal time off roll over at the end of the year so if you want to plan a two week vacation at the beginning of the year you can’t... because you will lose all accrued personal time off but 40 hours on Dec 31st. - Benefits. Benefits are effective the 1st of the month after 30 days of employment so basically if you start on the 2nd day of any month, you will be out of insurance for basically 2 months.

Advice to Management

- Time off: we should be able to roll over a minimum of 80 hours every year. 40 hours seem so little. Also, 80 hours of personal time off per year seem too little for a company as big as SDC. A minimum of 3 weeks of personal time off PLUS 5 floating holidays should be offered. - Benefits: Benefits should be effective the 1st day of the following month after start date or even on your first day of employment... instead of having to wait almost 2 months if you start at the beginning of the month.

Smile Direct Club2019-02-06

February 6, 2019The People Team

We appreciate both your kind words and constructive feedback here. We're thrilled to hear how much you enjoy your team and the collaboration and support among team members -- that is one of our favorite things about the SDC culture as well. As for benefits, this is something we're actively working on improving in the new year. This is a major priority for our P&O team, and we hope that you will continue to share your voice. If you'd like to discuss further, please reach out to peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

10. "Opportunity for growth in a booming company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Smile Direct Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

-career advancement opportunities -great culture -your work has a huge impact -fun atmosphere - lots of fun activities always planned -your opinion counts -great leadership

Cons

-health benefits are not that great, but they are doing an overhaul for 2020

Smile Direct Club2019-02-18

February 18, 2019The People Team

Thank you so much for sharing your review with us! We sure are proud of our fast growth and career opportunities here. This will continue to be a priority for us along with supporting our team members through benefits. We appreciate all of your support!

Found 369 reviews