Smile Direct Club SmileGuide Reviews | Glassdoor

Find jobs for SmileGuide

Smile Direct Club SmileGuide Reviews

Updated Oct 10, 2019

3.4
Smile Direct Club CEO David Katzman  (no image)
David Katzman
  1. "Great Job with a Great Company"

Current Employee - SmileGuide in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have been working at Smile Direct Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company has amazing benefits, keeps you smiling all day, laughing and having fun. Travel and growth opportunities as the company expands. I am excited to come to work and see where I can grow.

Cons

No windows in my smile shop so it gets a little stuffy. Paint job in our smileshop is not good either. Company does not let you know itinerary of travel until right before your trip, so it is difficult to plan schedule in smile shop and prepare for travel.

Advice to Management

Get all smileshops on the same page as far as procedures go. We had a transfer who came here and did things completely differently and definitely had a scamming mentality of how to get fast tracks. I know the company has looked further into things like this so I'm confident it will eventually be more cohesive.

Smile Direct Club2019-10-09

October 17, 2019Team Member

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We love seeing this. Best of smiles!

"smileguide"

Current Employee - SmileGuide in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Smile Direct Club full-time for more than a year

Pros

we do get bonuses at work

Cons

the shops are open too late AND on sundays

Smile Direct Club2019-10-08

October 10, 2019Team Member

Thank you for sharing your experience. We value every piece of feedback we receive, and we know it takes time out of your busy day to complete! Best of smiles!

3. "Room for advancement"

Current Employee - SmileGuide in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Smile Direct Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, good work environment, working one on one with customers, personal and career growth within the company, travel opportunities.

Cons

If you hate sales than this job is not for you. Team leaders can be micro managers, but that is part of their job description. Working evenings, somewhat unpredictable schedule, no overtime.

Smile Direct Club2019-09-08

September 12, 2019Team Member

We are happy you shared your positive experience with us. Our team members are essential, and we couldn’t spread the smiles without you! Keep on smiling!

"Not What i expected"

Current Employee - SmileGuide in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Smile Direct Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

Money ,bonus incentive, teammembers are cool

Cons

Hours, management, downplaying dental experience, unethical practices.

Advice to Management

Smileguides should have a Voice in operations as well as the same respect from corporate as is given to managers. We matter too!!!!!Too many long hours with no overtime.

Smile Direct Club2019-10-10

October 17, 2019Team Member

Thank you for leaving us this feedback. We strive to make our job descriptions as clear as possible and hope that our trainings provide clarity as well. We’re disappointed that you feel misled and would love any additional feedback on what we could have done better. Please reach out to your People and Organization Business Partner so that we can collect feedback and make improvements or email us at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

"SALES SALES SALES"

Current Employee - SmileGuide in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Smile Direct Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

Starting pay, benefits offered, flexible schedule

Cons

This is a sales job. When I was hired I was informed that this would be 90% dental assisting and 10% sales....that is a bold face lie. This is all sales if your numbers suck then you suck. The managers have no prior dental history and DO NOT participate in scanning the customer or the sales pitch. You are reprimanded by them when you dont make the sale. The pressure is on. Also, full time is 30 to 32 hours not 40... hours. If you like coming to a job you hate everyday, work here.

Advice to Management

Stop tearing people apart and instead build them up. Also not everyone can afford this or wants to put money down. Ranking people better than others just makes people feel like crap.

Smile Direct Club2019-09-06

September 25, 2019Team Member

"Smoke and Mirrors"

I have been working at Smile Direct Club full-time for more than a year

Pros

The job itself is not very difficult as far as daily tasks and cleaning go, but it can be difficult to close the sale and convince people to purchase same day which is what the company wants you to do at least 73% of the time. Also, the pay is pretty good compared to a lot of other places.

Cons

They make you record all your appointments on video for everyone in the company to watch later and critique you. The company is poorly run, internally and externally. It takes twenty emails and phone calls to get anything looked into or acknowledged, and that goes for employees AND customers. If one little thing goes wrong during a customer’s treatment, they can expect to wait weeks before receiving a response or... solution other than “it is still within the usual production timeframe, so just wait and then call back if still nothing in 5 more days” or “I’m sorry, I’ll submit a ticket and you should hear from our x team within 3 to five business days,” (and then you’ll wait the 3-5 business days and still nothing and when you call back, they tell you sorry, I’ll submit an escalation ticket about you not hearing back and you’ll hear back about not hearing back in 3-5 MORE business days.) Customer Care is poorly trained and supervised and not empowered to provide real solutions to customers. Often they give totally inaccurate information, to store employees and customers alike. They basically give people who call with an issue the run-around just to get them off the phone so they don’t have to deal with it and it’ll be the next person’s problem. It’s horrible. At my shop we get disgruntled customers coming in all the time asking for help because customer service isn’t helping them, and when we call the internal customer care they do the same thing to us. They never know what’s going on and have even blatantly lied and I’ve had to call them out to ensure they’re not lying to other customers. It’s actually some of the worst customer service I’ve ever seen in my life, and it makes me ashamed to work here. The company has a truly concerning lack of transparency- they want to keep employees in the dark about how certain things work and it leads to a total lack of understanding on every level. No one ever knows what’s going on and inaccurate information flies around constantly. This is not a dental office, this is a retail store. It matters very little if you have dental background or experience. It only matters that you can sell. When you try to learn more about the dental aspect of it, they train you to deflect instead of answering customers questions directly, which I think is manipulative and dishonest. We recently started offering a new version of our product and the entire FAQ of the training guide provided gives examples of questions customers may ask and the answer for every single one of them that they want us to say is “just call customer care.” They don’t even want us to understand how everything works, they just want us to sell sell sell. It’s all about numbers. I’m lucky enough to have a really great shop manager, and we used to have an AMAZING District Manager, but our new District Manager does absolutely nothing to help us. She talks down to everyone and when she comes for shop visits she just sits in the office and doesn’t interact with us at all. She makes all the managers who work beneath her do all of her work for her, literally making them each do a section of her required reports so she can just copy and paste them into her “own” report without any real analysis. It’s disheartening because that’s not what a real leader does. A real leader jumps in on the front lines to help her teams. A real leader doesn’t sit on the sidelines and point out little things you’re doing wrong without acknowledging and praising the things you do right and offering good solutions and coaching to be able to be better. She makes all managers be on-call on their off days (which are few and far between because they’ll say to take the day off but you still have emails and phone calls to respond to all day) but when you try to reach her on a Saturday or Sunday, she says to leave her alone cause it’s her off day. Then she’ll call you on her off day and when you Mention that you’re not supposed to be working, she’ll say “this is what you signed up for as a manager.” It’s very hypocritical to make your employees do something you’re not willing to do yourself. Basically I’ve seen/heard first-hand how she belittles and berates my shop manager and how she’s never actually done anything to help us learn and grow or solve problems. She plays favorites, and hires friends and former colleagues and gives them raises over more deserving people. It’s shocking to me that a person can blatantly get away with what she does and still have a job. An HR nightmare. The whole company is a PR nightmare really. On social media customers will try to reach out for solutions and the social media comments a response publicly saying they’re only a direct message away if they need help, but then don’t respond to the customers direct messages. The company makes many employees pay for their own parking, which is absolutely ridiculous for a company this size and with this profitability. I know of people having to pay $200-$400 per month out of their own pocket for parking. It’s outrageous. They overwork and undervalue and underappreciate some of the best employees and managers, and celebrate the slimy, uncaring, lazy people who are good at manipulating people into a sale. The way to succeed at this job is to coerce people into buying whether or not they are ready. That is what gets you the results/numbers the company wants. They say they want you to build a connection with people, but there are no rewards for that. Your job and opportunities for growth will be on the line if you aren’t a high seller, even if every customer loves you. It’s all about the sale here. If you’re honest with the customer, you won’t close the sale. Many times the only way to close the sale is to avoid talking about certain things and give assurances that you know from experience with other customers aren’t a sure thing. It makes me feel like I’m working for an unethical company. You can’t get a straight answer from anyone. I want to work somewhere that treats their employees and their customers right, and SmileDirectClub fails at that. The true test of a great company is being able to provide solutions to customers who encounter problems and to do what it takes to make them happy. Also, many of the smile plans I’ve seen are actually shockingly bad. I find it hard to believe that a real dentist or orthodontist would approve such plans.

Advice to Management

Customer Care needs to be completely thoroughly retrained and empowered to provide real solutions to real problems customers have. The company needs to be completely transparent about each step in the process. Knowledge is power. So much confusion comes from everyone not knowing and understand how the company works entirely, not just in their own bubble. Be HONEST with employees, and train employees to be HONEST... with customers, not to deflect and avoid and pivot. Train dental team to create smileplans that they would be proud to give to their own family members, and ask that overseeing orthodontists not approve plans that they would not be willing to use on their own family members. Streamline processes so customers can be assisted IMMEDIATELY, not in a few days or in a week or in a few weeks. Reward good employees, don’t encourage bad ones. Listen when stores have problems with their managers. Don’t focus so much on numbers only. There is so much more to a good employee than just raw data. Rethink the strategy of begging customers for social media reviews. Customers are starting to raise eyebrows about our company and not in a good way. Promote the right people at the right times, instead of giving random people now responsibilities they have no training on.

Smile Direct Club2019-08-28

September 13, 2019Team Member

This is Doug, Senior Vice President for Retail. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I am disheartened to learn that you feel that we do not care about our team members. We strive to make our job descriptions as clear as possible and are very committed to providing ongoing training for all team members. As one of our cultural truths is #betterisbetter, we believe that providing feedback is critical to help us all continue to learn and grow in our careers. Please reach out to me so that we can talk through our customer journey model and how we provide best in class customer support. Best, Doug

7. "The worst employer"

I have been working at Smile Direct Club full-time for more than a year

Pros

None cannot find any such a disappointment

Cons

Management is backstabbing and two faced no support no positive actions district managers and senior district managers are bullies to all employees and treat all with disrespect and make up the rules as they go along

Advice to Management

To the CEO look at the employees in thieve positions and realize how negative they are and two faced

Smile Direct Club2019-08-30

September 5, 2019Team Member

This is Doug, Senior Vice President for Retail. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I am disheartened to learn that you feel that we do not care about our team members. We want all of our team members to feel supported and developed by leadership so that they can continue to advance their career with us. As a high growth organization, we are constantly looking for how we can we be better and make improvements as this aligns with our cultural truth of #betterisbetter. I would be happy to speak with you to learn more about your experience and any ideas you may have to best support our team members. My door is always open and you can reach out to me anytime. - Best, Doug

8. "Very fun and motivating!"

I have been working at Smile Direct Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun environment! This company is always evolving and I love getting to be a part of it. We are always striving to give the customer the confident smile that they want and I love that.

Cons

I haven't found anything that I wouldn't suggest to a fellow job seeker.

Smile Direct Club2019-05-25

May 31, 2019Specialist

We appreciate your thoughtful words. The best way we can help support our customers is by supporting our team members first.

"horrible!"

Former Employee - SmileGuide

I worked at Smile Direct Club full-time

Pros

benefits bonus consistent paced shops day goes by fast sometimes

Cons

the people that get hired on are clueless and dont know what theyre doing! managers suck and come from a retail background of folding shirts and just making schedules (fyi youll never have a full 40 hours working here, being full time youll get the bare minimum of 32 hours) managers become greedy with hours once they find out they can receive a bonus for keeping labor hours low. mangers are no help and will act... busy by sending emails all day and being on "calls". smile guides will do the most shady things to keep their numbers up and everything stays as dont ask dont tell. as long as people hit their goal numbers thats all that matters. the smile guides that get recognized the most are the ones who dont do anything at all. very unorganized and selfish company. basic corporate office.

Advice to Management

hire more experienced people. check work references, dont be so desperate to just hire anyone. this really effects the shops and the overall work environment. it becomes toxic very quickly and not a place you look forward to coming into everyday.

Smile Direct Club2019-04-23

April 26, 2019Specialist

Thank you for leaving us this feedback. We strive to foster an exciting and honest environment, so we're disheartened to hear that you got this impression. Please reach out to us at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com so that we can collect your feedback and ideas for improvements. Best, Madison

10. "To Each It’s Own"

I have been working at Smile Direct Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

•Benefits •Bonuses •Open Door •Room To Grow

Cons

Depends on your work ethic, how you respond to constructive criticism and how you work with others. There are people at the company who care about numbers, but there are way more that care about the employees and customers.

Advice to Management

Work with managers a little more so they are less oppressive in their roles.

Smile Direct Club2019-04-03

April 5, 2019Specialist

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience working at SmileDirectClub. Our team members are incredibly important to us.Our People & Organization team is always here for you to discuss any concerns you have. Best, Madison

Found 17 reviews