Smith Hanley Associates Executive Recruiter Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Smith Hanley Associates CEO Tom Hanley
Tom Hanley
  1. Featured Review

"Good company and Good People"

I have been working at Smith Hanley Associates full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good commission structure, hard work is rewarded, entrpreneurial work environment, Management allows for alot of employee freedom but they are also very supportive and helpful. Knowledgable colleagues and unlimited earning potential!!

Cons

Being a niche recruiter can feel a bit lonely sometimes as everyone has their own very specific niche that they service. But if you enjoy working on your own its a top notch place to do it!

Smith Hanley Associates2018-07-17
  2. "Top notch recruiting firm"

I have been working at Smith Hanley Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to be for an entrepreneurial mindset. Generous commission structures, with well tenured management who are great mentors to learn the business. Small but mighty team in Chicago who is very self-sufficient.

Cons

Not for those who need an immense amount of hand holding to succeed

Smith Hanley Associates2018-07-17
  3. "Smith Hanley is a great place to work"

I have been working at Smith Hanley Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Honest hardworking colleagues and a supportive work environment

Cons

none that impact my day to day work

Advice to Management

expand recruiting practices to more niches

Smith Hanley Associates2018-07-12
  4. "Executive Recruiter"

Current Employee - Senior Executive Recruiter in Southport, CT

I have been working at Smith Hanley Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is the best place I have ever worked! They foster a caring and collaborative work environment that sets you up for success! I now have my dream job...

Cons

There is nothing worth writing about.

Smith Hanley Associates2018-02-13
  5. "Executive Recruiter"

Current Employee - Executive Recruiter

I have been working at Smith Hanley Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Good W/L balance -Good office culture -No micromanagement -Clearly defined territory and plan -Good incentive structure -Great reputation and long lasting relationships

Cons

-Flat organizational structure -High advertising costs in the recruiting business

Advice to Management

-Recognize the challenges facing the industry

Smith Hanley Associates2018-02-13

"So far so good"

I have been working at Smith Hanley Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We are given all of the tools we need to succeed and basically run our own businesses, with the guidance of a Principal who acts as a mentor. Although we are all doing our own thing, everyone is extremely supportive and internal competition is low (unlike other recruiting firms). It's a great environment for someone who is entrepenuerial and hardworking.

Cons

Having a closed door office would be nice, since we don't need to collaberate much with other team members during the day. This way you'd feel like you could be as loud as you want on the phone without worrying you're disturbing others. It would also promote productivity when you have your own space.

Smith Hanley Associates2017-05-08

Smith Hanley Associates Response

September 8, 2017Managing Director

Hardworking entrepreneurs are ideal recruiters at Smith Hanley. You are exactly right. We do try to balance the privacy you desire with creating more opportunities for collaboration. We'll keep working on it.

"Professional and rewarding"

Current Employee - Executive Recruiter in Westport, CT

I have been working at Smith Hanley Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

SHA has a niche recruiting practice in select areas that it serves better than the bigger firms with more personalized repeat service. The team works independently in several recruiting areas but with a developed culture of helpful collaboration when needed.

Cons

None, if you come to work hard and develop your skills and be rewarded.

Smith Hanley Associates2017-05-09

Smith Hanley Associates Response

September 8, 2017Managing Director

We hope we can continue to live up to your praise!

"Smith Hanley Associates, LLC"

I have been working at Smith Hanley Associates

Pros

Smith Hanley is an excellent employer with fantastic management that is highly accessible and sets you up for success within the company. The benefits and compensation structure are also very competitive.

Cons

This is a smaller firm, where you are self directed with little hand holding. If you are the type of person that does not like this and wants a more directive or corporate environment than this may not be the place for you.

Smith Hanley Associates2015-06-10
  9. "Great management and freedom to thrive"

Current Employee - Executive Recruiter

I have been working at Smith Hanley Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are looking for a place where you can work independently but with available guidance from very tenured staff, this is it. Smith Hanley is very well known in the niches where we provide services and its makes your ability to do well that much more easy. An independent work style for those who maintain a heavy work ethic is what will make you successful here. Management is great, working with you to help you grow...

Cons

This is not a corporate environment if you are looking for one. Everyone is professional but the office is boutique.

Advice to Management

I would suggest putting together a training manual for new starts on policies and procedures for database management, recruiting relationships with clients, and working alongside the other niches. This will prevent any mistakes on the front end and help new starts become more successful, quicker.

Smith Hanley Associates2015-05-05

"Lots of freedom to manage your own tasks"

I have been working at Smith Hanley Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management accepts my input on how best to recruit in my area, and encourages out-of-the-box thinking Has a great reputation in the industry Colleagues are friendly and helpful Great commission structure

Cons

Management does not do much to develop new business,it is responsibility of individual recruiters

Smith Hanley Associates2014-08-13