Smith Hanley Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Smith Hanley Associates CEO Tom Hanley
Tom Hanley

1. "Smith Hanley Associates, LLC"

Current Employee - Executive Recruiter in Southport, CT

Pros

Smith Hanley is an excellent employer with fantastic management that is highly accessible and sets you up for success within the company. The benefits and compensation structure are also very competitive.

Cons

This is a smaller firm, where you are self directed with little hand holding. If you are the type of person that does not like this and wants a more directive or corporate environment than this may not be the place for you.

2. "Smith Hanley has been a highlight of my professional career"

Pros

Smith Hanley has been a great environment to work in. The existing relationship and rapport clients/candidates have with the firm has made the transition working here extremely efficient and smooth. The infrastructure and reputation are in place for this company to really excel in the various niches that we cover. The consultancy approach Smith Hanley has developed really positions the firm well in the market for the future and I would absolutely advise friends and colleagues to utilize Smith Hanley's services in an applicable scenario.

Cons

If you are looking for a very large operation, Smith Hanley may not be what you are seeking. It is a smaller boutique firm that specializes in specific areas, not a general staffing firm that focuses on larger quantities.

3. "Executive Recruiter"

I have been working at Smith Hanley Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great reputation as a premier recruiting organization for 30+ years
    -Long standing relationships with word class organizations
    -Flexibility to work your own desk without micro management
    -Best resources available to help employees succeed
    -Predefined territory among recruiters creates a better environment and collaboration

Cons

-Strict guidelines around client fees. Agreements need to be updated frequently which can deter placements.
    -Candidate/client ownership sometimes comes under conflict
    -Compensation plan is average

Advice to Management

-Do more to foster an environment that rewards performance – contests, prizes, and recognition for working above and beyond
    -Be open to feedback for a constantly evolving marketplace
    -Promote the company brand online and on other social media avenues

5. "Great opportunity to make a very good living!"

Pros

Before joining Smith Hanley, I held corporate roles where I seemed to be busier than most of my colleagues and was making a big impact, but was paid about the same as everyone else. At Smith Hanley, I am in control of my salary. I like the entrepreneurial environment here.

This is an organization where, if you work hard, stay positive and set your sights on having fun, you will be rewarded with a salary that is above that of a corporate recruiter.

Senior management will give you the tools to be successful and will let you shine. I like that the leadership team continuously works to be innovative with social media outlets to advertise our services.

As recruiters, we have defined areas of responsibility and no overlap, so you will not compete with other recruiters for the same candidates. That is something that distinguishes us from other recruiting agencies and it creates a positive, collaborative environment.

Smith Hanley has a terrific reputation in the industry!

Cons

It's challenging to take a vacation longer than a week at a time, as our pipeline will dry up.
    Also, the benefits package, while decent, is not what you will find in a corporate environment.

Advice to Management

Continue to help us grow this great company.

6. "It has been a wonderful company to work for and is staffed with great people! I would reccomend this employer!"

Current Employee - Executive Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Executive Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Smith Hanley Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have the ability to schedule my own day and am given autonomy over my own book of business. I am still held to standards like everyone else, but I am not micromanaged. Furthermore, the people that work here really do make all the difference, very honest and hard working!

Cons

The Health Benefits are not the best, they could be alot more comprehensicve and easier to understand.

7. "Lots of freedom to manage your own tasks"

Current Employee - Executive Recruiter in Southport, CT

I have been working at Smith Hanley Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management accepts my input on how best to recruit in my area, and encourages out-of-the-box thinking
    Has a great reputation in the industry
    Colleagues are friendly and helpful
    Great commission structure

Cons

Management does not do much to develop new business,it is responsibility of individual recruiters

8. "Great company--!!!"

I have been working at Smith Hanley Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have only worked at 2 companies my entire working career-- and my experiecne at Smith Hanley has been very positive-- friendly work place, very professional and a great team! All current employees are terrific-- will always stay in touch! Plus earning potential is outstanding!

Cons

The traffic getting to the office can be challenging-- located on I-95

9. "A caring work environment"

I have been working at Smith Hanley Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love that as long as you perform well, you have relative freedom to come and go as you wish and I love that your desk is your business and that the bosses have an open door and a friendly ear.

Cons

Very little actual training for entry and early stage level recruiters. Training is mostly on the job and via interaction with colleagues. Staff are encouraged to attend relevant courses both in-person and on-line.

10. "Overall great place to work!"

Current Employee - Executive Recruiter
    Current Employee - Executive Recruiter

I have been working at Smith Hanley Associates full-time

Pros

-Small setting with helpful coworkers who assist with the onboarding process.
    -Long time employees have been invaluable helping with details.
    -Open door policy to talk to Partners about new ideas.
    -Great reputation and client list.

Cons

-Limited ability to work from home.
    -Very cost concious in certain areas.

Advice to Management

Additional Training for new hires would be a great investment.

11. "I love working here!"

I have been working at Smith Hanley Associates full-time

Pros

They give me so much independence in running "my" business. As a full-desk recruiter I get to decide how to spend my day and my efforts and I get compensated well for the results. Because SHA is a mid-size recruiting firm, I also get referrals and fee agreements already in place from my associates...for free!

Cons

Because we have so much independence we don't get trained (or controlled some would say) as much as other recruiting firms. SHA should probably beef up the training program.

Advice to Management

Great offices, very good compensation structure, nice people work here...keep all that up, but improve the communications/information around health plans.