Smith Hanley Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Smith Hanley Associates CEO Tom Hanley
Tom Hanley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work! Excellent reputation in the industry"

I have been working at Smith Hanley Associates full-time

Pros

Good support from management to be successful
    Work/ life balance valued
    Excellent reputation in the industry

Cons

Dynamic industry environment, must always be ahead of the curve - not necessarily a con - you do need to bring your A game everyday

Advice to Management

Continue to strive to be proactive in determining innovative ideas to continue to grow.

Sep 8, 2017 – Managing Director

Thank you! Yes, looking for opportunities for our current recruiters and new recruiters to grow our business is always a priority.

2. "Director of Online Marketing"

Current Employee - Vice President Marketing in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Vice President Marketing in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Smith Hanley Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stellar group of seasoned recruiters. Always timely with feedback and staying on your radar.

Cons

More volume of open roles

Advice to Management

Increase the amount of Senior level marketing roles.

3. "Executive Recruiter"

Current Employee - Senior Executive Recruiter in Southport, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Executive Recruiter in Southport, CT

I have been working at Smith Hanley Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is the best place I have ever worked! They foster a caring and collaborative work environment that sets you up for success! I now have my dream job...

Cons

There is nothing worth writing about.

4. "Executive Recruiter"

Current Employee - Executive Recruiter
    Current Employee - Executive Recruiter

I have been working at Smith Hanley Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Good W/L balance
    -Good office culture
    -No micromanagement
    -Clearly defined territory and plan
    -Good incentive structure
    -Great reputation and long lasting relationships

Cons

-Flat organizational structure
    -High advertising costs in the recruiting business

Advice to Management

-Recognize the challenges facing the industry

5. "Recruiter Nikki"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Smith Hanley Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is an amazing recruiting company with decades' experience and specializes in pharma and healthcare industry. The recruiter I worked with (Nikki) has lots of experience, connections, and patience. I'm very satisfied with the current position. As this is a narrow field, highly specialized talents may have a hard time to find a perfect match. Companies with highly specialized positions are in similar situation. With expertise, Smith Hanley Associates provide extra value for us and generate a win-win situation for each party, because they know people and your business. Overall, the process was smooth, efficient, and pleasant.

Cons

Not any I can think of.

Advice to Management

Very nice job.

Feb 9, 2018 – Managing Director

Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm glad your utilization of our recruiting services has been going so well!

6. "Great Environment, Good People, Hard Workers"

I have been working at Smith Hanley Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Honest working environment and employees are given alot of autonomy to accomplish their own tasks! Colleagues are very professional and highly respectable and true experts in their own niche! Everyone here works very hard for their living and it is clear that what you put in, is what you will get back! It is easy to have very open and honest relationships with your peers as well as your managers! High amount of visibility with the owners of the company as well! Happy to have been employed here for 5+ years! 4.5 stars out of 5 for sure!!

Cons

A few growing pains here and there with certain tech systems, and full time benefits are improving but have been a bit lack luster in a few areas. A feeling of separatism can sometimes be there for employees not in the headquarters office. Overall a great place to make a great living though!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work but make sure to give each office location equal face time and attention!!

7. "Applicant for a position"

Pros

Contact with recruiter while "top candidate for position"

Cons

Was not selected for position with a client they where recruiting for.
    New opportunity-no response with new job posting after several emails.
    No review of material presented at interview, this allowed no support to "per interview" questions...
    No prep from recruiter that was so excited about my fit with this top company

Advice to Management

Make sure recruiters Are preping clients, reviewing material and if they are no selected, that doesn't mean the client should should be no longer qualified for future positions and not even communicates with when asking about a different posting.
    Feels like recruiter didn't make money on my hire so now just not good enough at all for anything

Oct 6, 2017 – Managing Director

I am so sorry you had a poor experience in the interview process with our firm. Feel free to contact me directly and I can follow up to see where we dropped the ball in continuing to work with you... More

"So far so good"

I have been working at Smith Hanley Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We are given all of the tools we need to succeed and basically run our own businesses, with the guidance of a Principal who acts as a mentor. Although we are all doing our own thing, everyone is extremely supportive and internal competition is low (unlike other recruiting firms). It's a great environment for someone who is entrepenuerial and hardworking.

Cons

Having a closed door office would be nice, since we don't need to collaberate much with other team members during the day. This way you'd feel like you could be as loud as you want on the phone without worrying you're disturbing others. It would also promote productivity when you have your own space.

Sep 8, 2017 – Managing Director

Hardworking entrepreneurs are ideal recruiters at Smith Hanley. You are exactly right. We do try to balance the privacy you desire with creating more opportunities for collaboration. We'll keep... More

"Leaders in our recruiting areas"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Fairfield, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Fairfield, CT

I have been working at Smith Hanley Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about being a recruiter at Smith Hanley is how well-known and how highly thought of we are in the areas we recruit in. When I was recruited to this job, my manager told me companies would call us to help them fill positions...I thought it was just hype, but it really does happen. We have been recruiting in this area so long and so well, that clients return to use us over and over again. Sure makes my job easier!

Cons

Would be nice to work in the same office with the Chicago staff. We have so much overlap, but I don't want to move there and they don't want to move here!

Advice to Management

We missed our summer party last year! Let's have one this year!

Sep 8, 2017 – Managing Director

Being in the same recruiting niche for 35+ years does have its benefits. I'm glad you are reaping them. I just scheduled our 2017 summer part for 9/22...a little late, but we are doing it!

"Professional and rewarding"

Current Employee - Executive Recruiter in Westport, CT
    Current Employee - Executive Recruiter in Westport, CT

I have been working at Smith Hanley Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SHA has a niche recruiting practice in select areas that it serves better than the bigger firms with more personalized repeat service. The team works independently in several recruiting areas but with a developed culture of helpful collaboration when needed.

Cons

None, if you come to work hard and develop your skills and be rewarded.

Sep 8, 2017 – Managing Director

We hope we can continue to live up to your praise!