Smith.ai Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.7
Aaron Lee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Family-like virtual office setting"

Former Employee - Virtual Receptionist in Minot AFB, ND
    Former Employee - Virtual Receptionist in Minot AFB, ND

I worked at Smith.ai part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked for Smith.ai from home for roughly 7 months. I received one very thorough week of training and one following week of being shadowed on calls. Smith.ai is always growing and there are always opportunities to grow with the company. Through out all the changes in support staff, training staff, and team leads, I always knew I could count on one of Smith's many talented co-workers to assist me. Smith.ai is very fair and understanding. I liked the flexibility of being able to work my set hours and pick up extra hours as they became available. Management always has an open door policy. That's including with the owners, Aaron and Justin who were always fantastic and on top of server glitches (few they were but fixed right way). I never felt left in the dark nor unable to do my job to the best of my ability. I feel that working for Smith.ai helped me grow more in my work experience and customer service skills.

Cons

If you don't have the right headset, this can be a con. It's hard to do your job when your head set is too powerful for your laptop or your wifi isn't as fast as being hardwired. I ended up resolving my tech issues and everything worked out great. The other con, like with any customer-service type job, occassionally we wi=ould receive abusive callers. You know, the ones with the poor choice of insulting accusations and slander. However, Smith.ai has a zero tolerance policy for those types of callers, so once it happens once, you won't ever have to speak to that particular caller again.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Encouragement, honest feedback, a humorous constructive criticism.

"Great & Flexible Company!!"

Former Employee - Virtual Receptionist
    Former Employee - Virtual Receptionist

I worked at Smith.ai part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The whole leadership team at Smith is amazing. They are really great with working with you and are flexible when you need them to be! They provide really great training so you feel super prepared when you start taking calls on your own. The company is constantly looking for ways to improve and because of that, employees are able to provide excellent customer service. Smith has an open door policy, so if there is anything that you feel can be improved, you can voice it and they WILL listen. At Smith, there are many opportunities for growth and although you don't physically meet your co-workers, it is a great work environment. My time with Smith was not long due to personal reasons at home, but I was very happy and pleased during my time there and would recommend it to anyone looking into the company!

Cons

None, I enjoyed working for the company!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and thank you for the opportunity.

3. "Employees Are a Company's Best Asset!"

Current Employee - Virtual Receptionist
    Current Employee - Virtual Receptionist

I have been working at Smith.ai part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smith.ai has some of the most welcoming and helpful people working for it. I love the camaraderie of this company. I also love how the owners seek out and value their employee's opinion.

Cons

I thought about this long and hard and I can't even come up with one!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Virtual Receptionist Review"

I worked at Smith.ai part-time

Pros

- Federal holidays off
    - No weekends or overnight hours
    - Easy to get hired

Cons

- They deduct your pay for every mistake you make on the job (RED FLAG)
    - Pay is lower than advertised. Service fees are taken out of your check, plus you are an independent contractor and have to take out your own taxes. Add on any penalties you have from making mistakes and now you are working less than minimum wage.
    - No benefits
    - Appears to be a high turnover. They hire anyone and everyone.

Advice to Management

Stop deducting employees' paychecks for mistakes and focus on employee retention. Be more up-front about the position in the job description before people apply.

5. "Great company"

I have been working at Smith.ai full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Understanding about family situations, room for growth

Cons

There are not any cons in my opinion

"Virtual Receptionist"

Current Employee - Virtual Receptionist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Virtual Receptionist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Smith.ai part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You are part of a wonderful family that protects its members, makes everyone feel included, valued and appreciated.

Cons

There are absolutely no cons that I can think of

Advice to Management

It is so rare to have the owners of the company talk, joke, and interact with their employees as equals rather than a “I’m the owner so I’m too good for you” attitude that’s basically everywhere, that I hope no matter how big the company gets, you keep that attitude. Jason and Aaron you guys are unique. What you’ve created in the environment alone is priceless and I am so blessed to have been a part of it. I wish you all so much love and success. The ladies that are leading every day, Joelle, Coralyn, Cheryl, Yvonne, Brittany.... they’re your dream team.

7. "Engineering Manager"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Smith.ai full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smith.ai is a small company with a fast iteration cycle. The goal is to help small and medium businesses with communication tools that empower them in their relationships with their customers. The learning opportunities are countless for any member of the team and specifically for an engineering it's a great opportunity to build a great product end to end that solves real people needs. Get ready to get feedback from real users and to pivot your product towards their need. Smith is able to do that in a daily basis without losing any focus in the long term vision.

As a full time team member you can enjoy some perks like great health insurance, daily team lunches in nice restaurants in Palo Alto, Caltrain pass, paid time off and much more.

Another great thing is the policy to help people grow into bigger roles instead of bringing people with more management experience but less understanding of the company culture and mission.

Cons

One of the main advantages that a startup has is speed of execution and some times that means taking the right compromises in order to achieve the goals.

Also get ready to propose ideas all the time and defend them in a room full of smart people. You may not feel super comfortable but this is an invaluable growing opportunity.

"Fast-paced remote position with an in-person office feel! Wonderful staff and company!"

Former Employee - Receptionist in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Montgomery, AL

I worked at Smith.ai part-time

Pros

Working remotely offers amazing flexibility and the chance to be a stay at home mother. The entire team is phenomenal! They're friendly, funny, professional and so knowledgeable. The senior management is so receptive to the needs of the receptionists. They consistently show their appreciation for the hard work we do. When there is a technical issue that may prevent or make our jobs difficult, they are quick to respond and fix. I think appreciating the technological and developing side of their server is important. They've created something truly unique and ever-evolving. Anyone would be lucky to be a part of their growing company!

Cons

There weren't any for me particularly. It would be a challenge for someone who struggles with multi-tasking.

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work!

"Receptionist Team Leader"

Current Employee - Receptionist in Gastonia, NC
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Gastonia, NC

I have been working at Smith.ai full-time

Pros

I love this company! It's so refreshing to work in a culture where your manager listens to your concerns and then takes immediate action for the better of everyone and where you're rewarded and acknowledged for your hard work. Working for Smith.ai I have flexible hours and the ability to grow with the company. They provide support teams, resources, and training. We have such a great team!

Cons

You have to be self-disciplined to be successful working from home.

"Great Virtual Team Environment!"

Current Employee - Support Team Member in Highland, IN
    Current Employee - Support Team Member in Highland, IN

I have been working at Smith.ai part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with Smith.ai since 2016 and it has been great. The company has grown tremendously and is still growing. Wonderful virtual team environment. There is also plenty of room for growth within the company. If you're looking for a LEGITIMATE company to work for, that offers flexible hours, a way to work from home while being able to balance life and work... come to Smith.

Cons

Must have a good stable internet connection. Understand that you are hired as an Independent Contractor, so there are no benefits.