Smith & Howard Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Couldn't be happier!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Smith & Howard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Having worked at more than one public accounting firm, I can confidently say this firm is leaps and bounds ahead of others as far as happiness of employees. Management actually values everyone (as opposed to other firms who say they do but really don't) and it shows in how they treat their people. There is a real sense of "family" to this place. Additionally, you're very much in control of the type of work you do here - if you don't want to work in a certain industry, you don't have to and it doesn't hurt your career. They want you to enjoy what you're doing.

Cons

Busy season is very busy - but honestly this is public accounting and it's like that everywhere. The "off season" seems to be better here than at other places - my experience in other firms was that there was a busy season and a busier season. I don't feel like we're grossly understaffed here as opposed to some other firms.

Advice to Management

I think the only advice I'd have would be that the firm should continue to watch what others in the industry are doing as far as flexibility and people initiatives so that the firm can be competitive in attracting new talent. There's a fine line that you have to walk in setting yourself apart and being different than other firms vs. making sure you are offering what others are offering (career advancement opportunities, non-financial benefits, etc).

Dec 6, 2017 – Senior Manager of Human Resources

It is great to hear how happy you are working at Smith & Howard. As you well know, firm culture is very important to us and part of that is maintaining the sense of family that you described.

You... More

"Incredibly grateful to be a part of this firm!"

Current Employee - Tax in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Smith & Howard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had the chance to intern at a small firm during college, and I began my career at another firm shortly after graduation. My plan was to do 3 years in public accounting and then transition to an industry job, but after being at Smith & Howard for a year, I do not plan on leaving public accounting….EVER.

S&H does a great job at engaging its team members. I have the chance to work on all types of clients and tax returns, so that I can figure out what type of work I like and do not like. As they see me grow in my technical skills, they continue to challenge me by assigning me more “mentally stimulating” work. Also, for being staff level, I get a great amount of client interaction which is not something I saw much at my other firms. Even though I am at a staff level, I feel like the partners and managers are dedicated to my professional growth. I receive so much mentoring all year long, which is something I did not receive at other firms. The partners are all one team and are a very admirable group. When they make a decision, it is very uniform which keeps the morale of the team very high, because it gives us faith that they are working together for the better of the entire firm. I think that S&H doesn’t just talk about how much it cares about its employees, but it shows it by how they treat us every day, how they support us and our families and how they compensate us for the work we do. Because of that, employees are very happy and very dedicated to the firm.

Cons

We work A LOT! However, this is public accounting. It is expected. Compared to other firms I have been at, I feel like our busy season is very busy, but the rest of the year is consistent. I have work, but I am not overwhelmed year long. Also, like most public accounting firms and most other work places, we don’t have the best maternity leave policy. But again, those are really the only two “negatives” I can say about the firm.

Advice to Management

I would encourage management to continue to listen to its people like they currently do. I know that when we do process improvement planning or we try to discuss how to better improve certain areas of the firm, all levels are asked for feedback. It shows that the partners are willing to listen to all levels to ensure that they know all the ins and outs of what is going on at the firm before they make a decision. I think they should continue to do the focus groups every year to hear what is going well and where we can improve, and I think they should consider looking at other firms our size to ensure that we are remaining competitive and ahead. I can honestly say after working at a similar firm, that S&H is going above and beyond for its people, and I hope management can keep up the work to keep the morale where it is.

Dec 6, 2017 – Senior Manager of Human Resources

Thank you for providing such detailed feedback. We are excited that you are so happy. We are always looking at our benefits to see how we can improve them for our employees. We will be sure to... More

3. "Great Firm to Work For!"

Current Employee - Audit Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Audit Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Smith & Howard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked for this firm for almost 10 years and interned during college. The culture is great at this firm. You don't feel like a number, but a person that the partners care about. They understand that I have a life outside of work and if I need to I can work from anywhere. It is a very flexible work environment.

Cons

I don't think there are any downsides to working for this firm other than normal public accounting difficulties. Nothing specific to this firm.

Dec 6, 2017 – Senior Manager of Human Resources

Thank you for these kind words. As you know, firm culture is very important to us. Making sure that employees are able to balance their life and work is part of that.

4. "Great overall experience!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Smith & Howard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having worked at Smith & Howard for almost two years, I can honestly say that I have had an extremely positive experience. The firm culture is different than anything I have experienced, and employees are seen as part of a family rather than just a number. The firm has a lot of in-house training opportunities and encourages employee feedback from all levels. Overall, I am extremely happy that I chose to work here.

Cons

As noted in other reviews, busy season is busy, but this isn't Smith & Howard specific, it is an industry-wide trend. Smith & Howard does their best to make the experience as stress-free as possible for their employees.

Dec 6, 2017 – Senior Manager of Human Resources

We are happy that you are so happy. We try very hard to alleviate some of the stress of busy season and are glad that our efforts are working for you.

5. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Tax in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Smith & Howard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Firm Culture, Low Turnover, Excellent Training and Upward Career Mobility, Free Parking

Cons

Cant think of anything negative

Dec 6, 2017 – Senior Manager of Human Resources

These are all of the things that we too love about our firm. Thank you for the feedback.

6. "Great local CPA firm"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Smith & Howard (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great teamwork environment. Management cares about employee welfare and work/life balance.

Cons

Stress off continual project management

Advice to Management

None

Dec 6, 2017 – Senior Manager of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We encourage you to discuss your concern with the management team of your department. You should also feel free to talk to me anytime. - Patty

7. "A Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Smith & Howard full-time

Pros

Smith & Howard takes great care of its employees. The culture at the firm is very warm and motivating. There is a great atmosphere of teamwork.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities to work from home or to truly flex your time.

8. "Wealth Management"

I worked at Smith & Howard full-time

Pros

Great people and fulfilling work combine to make Smith and Howard a wonderful firm

Cons

Not one I can think of. The firm operates very well.

9. "Growing firm with positive work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Smith & Howard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Entrepreneurial
    Progressive
    Stable leadership
    Real mission vision and values
    Great learning environment and resources
    Great client base
    Great reputation
    Great people/talent
    Great open office space
    Willing to change and improve
    Advancement is earned by performance not by tenure
    Not an "up or out" workplace.
    Challenging professional development opportunities.

Cons

Brand awareness within middle market in metro Atlanta may be a challenge as well as an opportunity. With one office worldwide, some prospective clients and employees may think of S&H as a another local firm but our clients know the quality of service and our people are truly challenged to advance in their careers.

Advice to Management

Keep challenging yourselves to be the best CPA firm in America.

10. "Great Company"

Pros

Always listen to their employees. Very caring and helpful.

Cons

I can't think of any at the moment.