SmithBucklin Reviews

Updated Apr 25, 2020

2.6
SmithBucklin CEO Matt Sanderson
Matt Sanderson
Pros
  • "Great place for a recent graduate to get hired since you get a variety of experience off the bat, especially if you are placed on a good team(in 18 reviews)

• "Great benefits and exciting fast paced office environment(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Consistently set work-life balance boundaries to maintain your sanity here(in 29 reviews)

• "Change that - or we we will continue to see high turnover(in 15 reviews)

"Conservative company but getting better"

5.0
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Big company that feels smaller than it is - great leadership and they seem to listen to their employees. Interesting work in association management, and plenty of opportunity to travel, network, and progress. Have made progress catching up to the 21st century when it comes to parental leave.

Cons

While they've made progress catching up to the modern world in terms of parental leave, it's still wanting. 30 days paid leave for mothers and 2 weeks paid leave for fathers is not enough. It still places undue burden on the mothers specifically. Health insurance is also insufficient for a family. You'll find yourself deferring care because of cost. I urge leadership to overhaul this structure to attract and retain talent.

SmithBucklin2019-12-18
  2. "Good learning ground"

4.0
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some senior leaders here are excellent. Many good peers in management. For younger workers this is a good company to gain experience. For mid-level managers and above the slow decision making and cultural politics may be frustrating, but if your client has good leadets it can make all the difference in your work experience here.

Cons

Politics (but that exists within a lot of organizations) Slow decision making

SmithBucklin2020-04-04

"Just skip it, there are better opportunities elsewhere"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time for more than a year

Pros

You’ll learn a lot and quickly

Cons

The company culture is abhorrent and the expectation couldn’t be more unrealistic

SmithBucklin2020-04-25

"Great place to start out, but the company can improve a lot"

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place for a recent graduate to get hired since you get a variety of experience off the bat, especially if you are placed on a good team. You also get to meet some pretty great colleagues.

Cons

They claim to be making "changes," but these "changes" are very slow to happen because they are not progressive enough. There are many managers and directors that do not know how to manage a team at all. They only look out for themselves and if you overstep them in any way, they are not afraid to toss you off your team. If you care about diversity, this is not the place that has it.

SmithBucklin2020-03-26
  5. "Good company to start your career"

Former Employee - Education Coordinator in Washington, DC

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Team oriented, gain practical skills

Cons

Poor pay scale, poor benefits

SmithBucklin2020-03-03

"Nothing out of the ordinary."

Former Employee - Registration Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time for more than a year

Pros

They offered flexible work accommodations and the location was great.

Cons

While they pride themselves on being forward thinking and evolving, all the forward momentum lets a lot of things fall through the cracks. The work culture is stagnant, and associates are often treated like scape goats. Their on-boarding process is trial by fire. Whether it was the busy season or the off season everyone always seems burned out.

SmithBucklin2020-01-30

"Only Come to Leave Quickly"

Former Employee - Consultant, Retail in Washington, DC

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time for more than a year

Pros

gain lots of experience, some interesting clients

Cons

terrible benefits no balance in work load

SmithBucklin2020-01-29

"Worst job I’ve ever had"

Former Employee - Associate - Senior Associate

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time

Pros

Location and office space is nice, lots of new grads so easy to meet people but don’t get too attached because they all leave early

Cons

The worst place I’ve ever worked. Can’t even begin to tell you how many Sundays I spent crying thinking about going into work Monday. Regardless of if your role is client facing or internal, you are screwed because management has such unrealistic expectations of you and your ability and yet they are “too busy” to coach you or help you with any type of patience. Because of my lack of experience, I legitimately thought this was how business was run until I left and found a company that treats you like a human being and actually wants you to succeed. They dangle promotions over your head and then give a “raise” that’s a complete joke and border line insult. Once I put my two weeks in, I didn’t even bother to finish a project assigned to me because I felt so angry at this company and I didn’t want to help SmithBucklin anymore, they took so much toll on my mental health. The more time I spend away the better I realize I have it now. My manager was without a doubt the worst part of my experience and I’m so glad they are no longer a part of my professional life.

SmithBucklin2020-01-17

"It's okay.."

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get a lot of experience in a short amount of time. If you're lucky enough to land on a good team, the people are usually pretty nice.

Cons

Growth exists but it tends to be very slow moving. The company doesn't offer many perks of working there other than paying your salary on time. This is a place you work at for no more than 2-3 years and then leave for something better... Cause there's definitely something better out there.

SmithBucklin2019-11-23

"Glad I am not the only one"

Former Employee - Coordinator

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time for more than a year

Pros

Met great people and got great experience that helped in the long run after leaving.

Cons

Management does not set up employees for success. They tell employees to speak up regardless of level and the second you speak up, your job is at stake. SmithBucklin has no problem dropping their employees because it is an at will company, so if they don't like you or you don't agree with management, there is a good chance you will get fired for it with a days notice. Finally, there is no diversity at this company if that is something you are looking for.

SmithBucklin2019-11-09