SmithGroup Reviews | Glassdoor

Mike Medici

"Good place to retire"

Current Employee - Architect I in Detroit, MI

I have been working at SmithGroup full-time

Pros

fresh fruits! peace! no overtime!

Cons

low salary...low salary...low salary...Company plan to move...seems will have small workspace

Advice to Management

salary is a problem

SmithGroup2016-12-28
  2. "Fantastic working environment"

I worked at SmithGroup

Pros

Great people to work with, flex hours, opportunity to grow knowledge base through internship

Cons

some studios are more put together than others, healthcare studio felt disjointed, not much else

SmithGroup2016-11-17

"Experience May Vary"

Current Employee - Architect II in Washington, DC

I have been working at SmithGroup full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Overall I've had a great experience at SmithGroupJJR- great integration across offices, exciting projects and forward thinking in sustainability, modeling, and project delivery. The people are outstanding- a wide breadth of young people who make a fun atmosphere. Many opportunities to get involved outside of the office in volunteer projects or social sports teams. 8.5-hour work days = additional 15 days off per year....

Cons

Upward movement is hard. A lot can depend on your specific PM/principle to advocate for you. I've ended up pigeon-holed in projects that I can't get away from. There has been high turnover in some areas due to poor management, lack of projects, or burn out because supervisors will not listen to their employees' concerns and implement changes to keep them happy. There has been a huge overhaul of management in the past...

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and make changes to keep them happy!!

SmithGroup2016-11-22
  4. "BIM Technologist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at SmithGroup full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Life balance is great with 15 to 16 additional days (Fridays), access to recent technologies: VR/3D printing, 3D Laser Scanning.

Cons

Very long wait for promotion. very vertical decision making. Old fashion not listing enough to under 30 years old designers.

Advice to Management

Delegation of decision will make better buy-in especially from entry level staff. Too many "chefs", decision to implement new technology should go case bt case or project by project don't try to implement new technologies right away on a national level it will fail.

SmithGroup2016-11-23

"Great Company to work for!"

I have been working at SmithGroup

Pros

Under the new Managing Partners, there is a very real look going on to progress our firm to an Employer of Choice. We are changing with the times and look forward to the future.

Cons

There could be a few more changes to benefit the staff as a whole: Paid Parental Leave; Student Loan Repayment; Paid Licensing for all staff, etc. But those aren't deal breakers.

SmithGroup2016-10-18
  6. "Internal Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at SmithGroup full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Treats all of their staff great

Cons

Large company and change happens slow

SmithGroup2016-10-21
  7. "Senior Medical Planner"

I have been working at SmithGroup full-time

Pros

Flex schedule, decent benefits, good company culture, upper management and leadership tend to be good people in general, they try to achieve work life balance with mixed success

Cons

Few opportunities for growth, quality of projects can vary widely, too much focus on delivery and not enough in design and innivation

Advice to Management

Upper management should see the big picture and try to be conscious about avoiding cronyism when considering advancement opportunities for staff if they truly want to achieve a diverse company where everyone has equal chances for success

SmithGroup2016-10-11
  8. "Opportunity for Growth"

I have been working at SmithGroup full-time

Pros

SmithGroupJJR is a great firm with a lot of opportunity for growth. Leadership is receptive of new ideas for younger staff members.

Cons

As with any architectural and engineering firms during busy times, there is increased pressure to complete work on/before deadlines.

Advice to Management

Continue to be receptive of new ideas from younger staff. Their lack of experience could allow them to seek creative new ways to approach design challenges.

SmithGroup2016-09-19
    • "Excellent firm, culture, and people"

Current Employee - Architect III in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SmithGroup full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everyone is nice, great to work around good people. Flexible work schedule and good access to technology to do your job.

Cons

Work is siloed and project managers don't really know team is really doing. Salary is low compared to other places.

Advice to Management

Let more people play a real part of each project and not just the same people.

SmithGroup2016-09-17
    • "Great place to work for in Detroit"

Current Employee - Architect I in Detroit, MI

I have been working at SmithGroup full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great firm, it is a multinational corporation, it is 160 years old firm, it's one of the top 10 firms in America, have great people, lot of great work, has many departments for wide range of work, one of the best internship programs, 15 extra holidays due to the (some) Friday off rules-- great for work-life balance

Cons

Big firm so slightly slow during hiring, except internship, bureaucratic due to the size of the firm

Advice to Management

Check on people at higher posts should be made from time to time based on other junior employees reviews- some of them do not deserve to be there.

SmithGroup2016-08-31