SmithGroup "large firms" Reviews | Glassdoor

SmithGroup Employee Reviews about "large firms"

Updated Jul 3, 2019

Found 115 reviews

4.5
Mike Medici
Pros
Cons
  • "Path to leadership and career advancement can be ambiguous and frustrating(in 7 reviews)

• "Strong politics like all the large firms(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "large firms"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Corporate architecture firm without big egos"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SmithGroup full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

SmithGroupJJR has a good work/life balance for an architecture firm, providing a dozen Fridays off each year in addition to the regular holidays and vacation time. There aren't top brass with big egos like at some other firms. And, is company culture isn't too stuffy compared to other large firms.

Cons

Although the corporate hierarchy is pretty flat and SGJJR provides good on-the-job training career advancement opportunities are limited just like at other large firms.

Advice to Management

Approachable and friendly. All the upper management I've interacted with are happy to engage the younger staff.

SmithGroup2014-07-31
  2. "Satisfied ex-employee, with some advise."

Former Employee - Architect I in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SmithGroup full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

SmithGroup has excellent benefits and bonuses for all employees. There are endless opportunities to advance and learn from very knowledgeable colleagues. The Financial District office location is great and has an open studio floor plan which invites cross-communication.

Cons

SmithGroup is a very large firm. It is highly competitive and lacks a sense of job security. The firm does not make internal training, IDP or ARE a priority, but expects each employee to acquire knowledge and licensure. The design aesthetics are good, but not as great as they could be with the talent there.

Advice to Management

I am not a disgruntled employee, I actually enjoyed my time at SmithGroup and would not turn down an opportunity to work there again in the future. But there are opportunities there and knowledge that I can pass on. First and foremost, internal open design critiques (where people critique, not just pat each other on the back) and training is imperative and will determine the future of the company. It is in the best interest...

SmithGroup2013-02-15
  3. "Solid career, but a little slow moving"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at SmithGroup full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Overall company moral is great, they encourage alot of volunteering and giving back to our community, they also provide flexibiltiy with my work schedule and offer many opportunities to get involved within the design culture of the office.

Cons

For such a large firm they are on the lower end of the salary range for our industry and area.

SmithGroup2012-12-04

"Great people, decent projects, disconnected upper management, no clear career path"

Former Employee - Architect I in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SmithGroup full-time for more than a year

Pros

great people, interesting projects, decent PTO + Friday offs, great industry reputation, casual working environment, great company events, healthcare focused company.

Cons

Strong politics like all the large firms. No career advancement plan, very little opportunities. Poor marketing makes the firm hard to get work resulting the studios very slow at most times. Poor project management and fee tracking which caused most project to loose profit. Repeatitive tasks, relatively poor in areas other than healthcare.

SmithGroup2012-09-07