Smithers Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Smithers Group Reviews

Updated Dec 28, 2019

2.9
Smithers Group President Volker Bornemann (no image)
Volker Bornemann

"Great Company"

I have been working at Smithers Group full-time

Pros

A large company with a small feel, access to upper management, fun environment, room for growth and the company invests in their employee's growth, good benefits

Cons

no flex time, maternity leave is not ideal

Smithers Group2017-08-30
  2. "More Focused on Profits than People"

Former Employee - Senior Biologist

I worked at Smithers Group full-time

Pros

Good compensation and that's about it

Cons

does not value the employees or their time

Smithers Group2019-12-18
  3. "A boutique employment experience"

Former Employee - Function Leader in Akron, OH

I worked at Smithers Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good peers who care about each other

Cons

Privately held company politics are unique

Smithers Group2019-02-07
  4. "Family friendly"

I have been working at Smithers Group full-time

Pros

Family friendly and fun work wnvironment

Cons

still a growing company, expect some added responsibilities

Smithers Group2018-11-19

"Hard work and dedication will pay off when it comes to your career at Smithers"

I have been working at Smithers Group full-time

Pros

As a large company, Smithers has that small company feel. Management is very accessible, gives you opportunities to become promoted within and grow with the company and is there to help you success in your career. The work environment is fun, and everyone does enjoy working with each other. People are dedicated to their work and take pride in their accomplishments, which makes achieving goals easier. Overall, continuing your career at Smithers will pay off in terms of growth opportunities, leadership opportunities and very valuable training opportunities.

Cons

No flex time policy or flex time available to employees

Smithers Group2017-09-12

"Mistreatment of employees, overall unhappy work environment . . Smithers does not care at all about employees"

Current Employee - Sales in Akron, OH

I have been working at Smithers Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

I am was very happy here and even developed good skills. I like the employee family atmosphere they give, outings for employees are nice seeing as that is something that corporate America just doesn't do these days. Michael the owner seems to really care. High rating for work balance because they do make effort to have employee events.

Cons

We have constant turn over in our office due to high-level management they brought in from overseas and another employee who belittles/is rude to everyone in the department. It's an uncomfortable place to work when the people who mistreated me are praised. The way we don't have a lot of vacation time/hourly pay is also an issue for me. THe "company" - the owner - acts like he really cares and wants a good work environment - but the way the management conducts and treats people does not match at all. I'm hoping to use my experience to get into a company that isn't so much politics and people mistreating employees. Not trying to complain but what has happened over the past few weeks in the office is just getting worse to this point.

Advice to Management

You should do a survey of all employees and find out what is actually going on in your departments. My sister works for a large corporation and they do this every year and its something I hate about a smaller company. I was happy here when I started but now I am just ready to leave.

Smithers Group2017-08-29
  7. "Great work culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

I have been working at Smithers Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work Culture, benefits, Promotion from Within, Team orientated,

Cons

Benefits can be a little better

Advice to Management

Keep doing good job

Smithers Group2017-03-17

"Don't make the same mistake"

I worked at Smithers Group full-time

Pros

There were a handful of colleagues that were decent human beings.

Cons

They do not care about their employees at all, you are blatantly treated as though you are replaceable. Not to mention that if you do leave, they will replace you with someone who they will without a doubt try to pay even less than the meager salary they paid you. Bringing me to my next point that this company grossly underpays any employee that is not a part of upper management or C - level. The management is so financially selfish that they would rather lose a current or potential employee than pay them a fair salary. Meanwhile upper management, who is doing half the amount of work, is making a ridiculous amount. You don't get personal time off or sick time if you are an hourly employee, which shouldn't even be legal. I would add in that the environment is toxic and depressing, but what can you expect when employees are subject to the above. Don't work here. Don't buy what they tell you in an interview, because from experience, it's not true.

Advice to Management

Treat employees better, pay them what they're worth and give them proper time off, and address the horrible work environment.

Smithers Group2017-02-07

"Do yourself a favor and don't work here..."

I worked at Smithers Group

Pros

There are no pros in my experience.

Cons

I found there was little respect for the employees as a whole. When you have to spend 9+ hours a day with the same people day in and day out a little respect can go a long way. I dreaded going to work everyday knowing there would be unnecessary drama in the office. Leaving this company was the best decision I ever made.

Smithers Group2017-02-07

"Biggest mistake of my professional career."

I worked at Smithers Group full-time

Pros

There are no "pros" to working here.

Cons

My recent departure from Smithers was a decision I truly regret not making sooner. If I had to choose between unemployment and working for this organization, I would without hesitation choose unemployment. I received no training for my position with this company and was expected to complete work with little to no help from management. I would not recommend this company as a place to work for anyone who wants to feel like a valued employee. Treat your employees like actual people. Hardworking people that have families to support should be compensated fairly and treated with respect. My experience working here is one I would soon like to forget and move on from, this was by far the biggest mistake of my professional career.

Smithers Group2017-02-06