Smithers Pira Reviews | Glassdoor

Smithers Pira Reviews

Updated Mar 6, 2019

3.8
Smithers Pira Managing Director Rebecca Leigh (no image)
Rebecca Leigh
  1. "Irresponsible Business Practices"

I worked at Smithers Pira

Pros

Good experience and responsibilities given.

Cons

Poor safety concerns and no concern for employee life-work balance. Overworked and underpaid is the company culture.

Advice to Management

A total overhaul of management is needed. People are too comfortable in their management positions.

Smithers Pira2016-03-29
  2. "3 years on and still here"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Leatherhead, England

I have been working at Smithers Pira full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic work/life balance, caring and understanding colleagues. Family feel and industry recognised as a leading player in their field. As with anywhere there will always be areas which you may/may not agree with but at the end of the day, its a business and they need to ensure that it runs as they want it to. If you work hard and listen and learn from your Managers, your efforts will be rewarded and recognised. It is clear that it is a good place to work as there are multiple people who have been there 20 years plus. I have been very well looked after and continue to wish for my career to develop and grow here.

Cons

The way the commission is structured could be slightly better but honestly speaking, if you are in a sales role as I am and if you ensure your pipeline is full, there is no reason why you cant earn as much as you want to. Sales is Sales at the end of the day and as much as more earning potential would be nice, you will still earn good money.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Smithers Pira2019-03-06

"Entrepreneurial company"

I have been working at Smithers Pira full-time

Pros

Big focus on opportunities for development and growth, lot of responsibility, chance to make a big impact if you want it, ambitious plans

Cons

Front of the building is looking tired, more meeting rooms needed as the number of employees increases

Smithers Pira2018-11-09
  4. "Somewhat dubious by all these positive reviews…"

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Leatherhead, England

I worked at Smithers Pira full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Nice, friendly people - Interesting/unique work environment - Flexible working hours - Good autonomy once project has been handed over to you

Cons

- Few growth/training opportunities – worsened by no clear progression path in place - Very high staff turnover negatively affecting morale of remaining staff and newbies - Low salary (additional responsibilities ≠ additional compensation) - Repetitive (dare I say, boring) after a while Personal peeves: - Disliked the open office environment - Too many unnecessary procedures in place - Conflicts between testing and project management team - Long commute = poor work/life balance

Advice to Management

I hope my experience was just an anomaly but it would have been nice to have opportunities to understand the ‘bigger picture/purpose’ of what we do within the lab. Also, acknowledgment for taking on additional duties/responsibilities left behind by ex-colleagues would have been appreciated.

Smithers Pira2018-11-11

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leatherhead, England

I have been working at Smithers Pira part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fantastic people - friendly, knowledgeable and helpful Professional work ethics and values Open door policy Good mix of hard work and fun Short days on Fridays

Cons

Communal areas in Leatherhead could do with up-dating, particularly the rest rooms

Smithers Pira2018-03-23

"Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leatherhead, England

I have been working at Smithers Pira full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Early finish on Fridays - Free parking - Friendly, knowledgeable colleagues

Cons

- No lunch/break room - Building in need of modernisation

Smithers Pira2018-03-23

"Expert team, driven by excellence"

I have been working at Smithers Pira full-time

Pros

Great colleagues, strong personal development, caring and ethical company. Client-led company.

Cons

There aren't any objective downsides.

Smithers Pira2018-02-06

"Surrey Office Don't waste developing your career with this company!!"

I worked at Smithers Pira full-time

Pros

Free coffee ! Friendly reception staff. Leave at 1pm on Fridays. Free onsite parking

Cons

Clicky staff. Terrible building conditions. Old fashioned work process and poor management structure. They won't spend money on anything! Hear that the IT Dept having to sell old equipment on Ebay to raise money to buy new equipment. Company are outdated with the laboratory and test room equipment running on old computers . Lack of knowledge in rolling out new technologies to the detriment of the users. Free parking to be sold off 2018 for development.

Advice to Management

release the purse strings - spend some money on the building and conditions.

Smithers Pira2017-11-14
  9. "Don't bother, even if you need the money it is very much stick with little in way of carrot"

Current Contractor - Anon in Leatherhead, England

I have been working at Smithers Pira for more than 3 years

Pros

not applicable at least none i can think of

Cons

Arrogant staff members. No respect shown for clients or customers. Advice for potential authors that are not sure. Don't bother, our company could not care less about you. If we can we will make you miss your bonus payments.

Advice to Management

Train your staff to look after their assets. A couple of bad apple managers will scare off the rest.

Smithers Pira2017-12-01

"Excellent, Fun & Calm Working Environment"

Business Development Manager in Leatherhead, England

I have been working at Smithers Pira

Pros

Having worked for Smithers for less than a year in a sales capacity, I can honestly say it is the best sales environment I have worked in. Remuneration is great, hours are good too.

Cons

That I had'nt joined sooner

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

Smithers Pira2016-08-04