Smiths Medical Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Smiths Medical President & CEO Chris Holmes
Chris Holmes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work environment, great people" (in 20 reviews)

• "Operators are good people who want to do the right thing, for the most part" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lack of support from upper management downward" (in 17 reviews)

• "Establish flexible work-life balance program and support it" (in 9 reviews)

"Keene NH"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Smiths Medical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We save lives. I love what we do and do everything I can to spread the word about the amazing company I work for. The people I work with are very knowledgeable and do anything they can to help the customer. I started from the bottom and worked my way up.

Cons

The only downside I see is when the company decided to go global some positions were eliminated and all that knowledge went out the door with them.
    I feel that we should have people doing the job also do the training.

Advice to Management

If you are closing 1 dept. at a site, have that dept. train new people before leaving. We have lost so much knowledge and information by not doing that. It makes the learning curve much longer for the new employees.

2. "R&D Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Smiths Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some very knowledgeable experts from throughout medical device world to learn from. Opportunity for self-starter type person to make positive impact in all areas of the business. Run by a larger organization, Smiths Group, which has expertise in interconnects, digital airport scanners and industrial seals. Company is large enough to have tuition reimbursement, good benefits and financial stability, but small enough where your impact can be noticed. Company has some large diverse portfolio of items that can be refreshed to provide decades more of revenue growth. Recent improvements in operations management.

Cons

Not a place for people that want their manager to tell them what to do. Have to take initiative and seek out mentors on your own. You will have to work extra hard to do the right thing. Not sure if that is how all companies are or all of life for that matter.

Advice to Management

Continue towards improving based on the survey feedback. More awards for "worker bee" types. Improve strategic partnerships and alliances with other Smiths Group companies.

3. "Customer Service Rep"

I have been working at Smiths Medical full-time

Pros

Casual environment, tall cubicles so you almost have your own desk/space area. Some people are genuinely nice people are will make you feel welcomed.

Cons

Management sucks, its very very very hard to find help and get your supervisor to help you. Be prepared to do a lot of task not in your job duties. Theres a ton of people who have been here 20+ years and they arent friendly at all they will actually make you feel extremely out of place. Back order issues are an every day thing and the system we work out of is from the 1800s it seems like.

Advice to Management

Hire the supervisors, it'd be a much more positive place to work.

4. "Assoc marketing manager"

Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Smiths Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dedicated team of hard working employees.

Cons

Sometimes more concerned about cutting costs than investing.

5. "Sinking (Sunk) Ship"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Smiths Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good products (but old), not too many mean people

Cons

Inept leaders, starting with the top, old products, late on all product launches......all of them...selfish leaders that only care about bonus and never about customers. Horrific backorders and leadership could care less. Quality problems that go unresolved with no response to customers, and again, leadership could care less. No investment, only cost cutting. Tons of open sales territories. Too many layers of sales management

Advice to Management

Correct all they things laid out in the cons. Resign. Or both

"Poor leadership"

I have been working at Smiths Medical full-time

Pros

Good benefits and nice people

Cons

No direction aggressive Snr leaders

Advice to Management

Change leadership

"Sad"

I have been working at Smiths Medical full-time

Pros

Free Caribou coffee. Nice building.

Cons

Systemically toxic work environment. Lack of support from upper management downward. Seniority reigns supreme in that the longer you’ve been there even if you’ve really screwed up and lack quality knowledge, you’re rewarded. Great workers who care get burnt out carrying the workload of slacker coworkers. Yearly raises for worker bees are pitiful except for upper management bonuses.

Advice to Management

Clean house. Are people qualified to do their job or just grandfathered in because they’ve been there for years? Great workers are quickly burnt out - recognize them.

"Start over"

I have been working at Smiths Medical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some very good, genuine people across the business. The Smiths Medical brand isn’t really known, but product brands have good history. Loyal customers despite repeatedly testing their patience.

Cons

Leadership does not work as a team at all. Dysfunctional. No problems get solved ever. Backorders, quality holds, late product releases, sales execution misses, missed scope in new products, bean counting and on and on. Morale is tanking. The ICU deal was a life boat, but guess that’s not going to happen.

Advice to Management

I agree with the another poster, London needs to replace the entire leadership team. Start over.

"Not Worth It"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Smiths Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smiths offers a lot of flexibility within positions. If you want to get involved in things above your title, chances are you’re going to be allowed to. I had experiences here that I know I wouldn’t have gotten elsewhere.

Pay is really great compared to competitors.

Cons

The company culture is toxic. At first I thought it was just my supervisor/manager, but I quickly realized it was a company problem. My supervisor would routinely berate and harass me, and despite escalating the issue, no one cared.

The company as a whole is a mess. They’re very reactive, and not proactive. If you’re any good at your job you’re going to spend long hours trying to clean up messes. My typical work week was 60+ hours.

They claim to always seek to promote and hire from within, but instead they hire unqualified external candidates for much higher pay than internal candidates.

Benefits are severely lacking. Not flexible on work from home.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and take a look at some of your supervisors

"Account Manager"

I have been working at Smiths Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some products are competitive, most are antiquated and surpassed by competitive advances in technology

Cons

Backorders, recalls, limited number of product managers who are overwhelmed and thus, ineffective. New products are "me too's' in the industry that customers are just not interested in buying. Sales managers are either inept or inexperienced or bullies. Turnover is rampant at all levels

Advice to Management

Why bother - despite lip service and surveys, nothing really changes except the turnover at senior management.