Smiths Medical Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Smiths Medical President & CEO Chris Holmes
Chris Holmes

Pros
Cons
  • Over control from upper management (in 16 reviews)

• Establish flexible work-life balance program and support it (in 8 reviews)

"New leadership and processes resulting in meaningful change"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Smiths Medical full-time

Pros

-Work life integration is one of the best I've experienced
    -Executive leadership team has a high say/do ratio and is working diligently to impart that on the rest of the organization
    -My particular team/function was extremely empowered by our leader, but also held closely accountable for our decisions and their outcomes
    -The CEO and other leadership are clear, concise and share the plain truth
    -People genuinely care about each other and the impact they have on people's lives each day
    -Culture and values are a central part of the organization and people feel connected to it

Cons

-A sense of urgency and delivery doesn't permeate through all levels of the organization - particularly a level down from the executive team
    -Old habits die hard

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work you're doing to transform the organization, but focus on empowering the next level down to run with their businesses/functions to demonstrate to them that you have trust in what they're doing.

"Blood from a Stone"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Smiths Medical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The experience of working for a multinational company is good. Most jobs let you work from home.

Cons

Lack upward mobility in the IT community. Most services will be outsourced to vendors

Advice to Management

Invest in your people, there is a wealth of talent going to waste in most of these facilities

"Keene NH"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Smiths Medical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We save lives. I love what we do and do everything I can to spread the word about the amazing company I work for. The people I work with are very knowledgeable and do anything they can to help the customer. I started from the bottom and worked my way up.

Cons

The only downside I see is when the company decided to go global some positions were eliminated and all that knowledge went out the door with them.
    I feel that we should have people doing the job also do the training.

Advice to Management

If you are closing 1 dept. at a site, have that dept. train new people before leaving. We have lost so much knowledge and information by not doing that. It makes the learning curve much longer for the new employees.

"Much potential, but getting in their own way"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH

I worked at Smiths Medical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ground level employees are great people

Cons

Ground level employees are over worked
    No true sense of work-life balance
    Seems to only give lip service to improving work climate/conditions

Advice to Management

Don't push your employees so far. Doing more with less is one thing, but when people are consistently working overtime and STILL behind, they need more people.
    Employees like what they do,but simply having a job/paycheck isn't rewarding when they dread Monday morning.
    This company has the potential to do great things, if they would quit abusing the people they have.
    Supervisors and managers, need to quit being "yes people". Look out for those that are working as hard as they can for you, instead of just the next step up.
    Upper management needs to develope a training/mentor program for anyone they want to move into a supervisor/manager role BEFORE promotion. Just because you know your job doesn't mean your ready to be in a role over others.
    If your employees are TRULY happy, your turnover rate would be minimal. Those who have been with Smiths for any length of time (since the Medex days) aren't staying because it's a great place to work, it's because the market isn't that great and they'd rather have something instead of nothing.
    This company could be great, if you get out of your own way.

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer I in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Engineer I in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Smiths Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most colleagues are nice to work with.
    Minneapolis facility (really located in Plymouth) is nice and has a good atmosphere.

Cons

Working across departments can be slow, likely due to not enough employees (both when and where needed).
    I have not seen a project meet its initial schedule.
    Expect to be overworked at some point.
    Employee retention should be better.

Advice to Management

Hire more people to spread out work loads.

"Hostile environment with high attrition"

Current Employee - Engineer in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Smiths Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None. The VP of facilities (yes it takes a VP to run the Minneapolis building) will taunt you with how much the company invested in you when they got the new building with the desks, lighting and the bathrooms being an investment in you and your career.

Cons

The environment is very hostile with a lot of people afraid to make the right decision or even put it in writing out of fear from middle management (department managers and directors) retribution. The attrition rate in this fiscal year has reached record numbers compared to other medical device companies and management keeps blaming the engineers. Also the training budget is very minimal with most of the training conducted by subpar firms or internal resources who happen to read a book on the subject. Middle management is always trying to circumvent process and create their own custom ones in order to reduce the project budget without any concern over the product quality risk take. Also management doesn't provide basic tools to do your job from software and lab equipment to talent to execute the task. This company has a rotten middle management core that doesnt seem to go away despite the turbulence in upper management over the past 4 years.

Advice to Management

Invest in your resources compensation packages and training. Force everyone to follow the process. Hold everyone accountable to the same metric.

Advice to applicants: they might look shiny from the outside it take 3 month or less to regret deciding to work for them .So unless you are interested in stress, lack of work life balance, and lack of objective, run for your life.

"On my way out"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Smiths Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

It's unfortunate that Smiths has great people resources and they do NOTHING to leverage their talents. The first thing management asks is "how much does it cost". Thus company has no idea what an investment is.

Advice to Management

Learn the word "investment".......look it up in the dictionary if you have to. Your products are old.........very old. It is impossible, repeat impossible, to be competitive with your pre-millennium products. The market is innovating around you. Competitors are merging to leverage their strengths, and you morons are still trying to survive with 20 year old technology. Get your head out of there......or you're done!

8. "Good company, fun atmosphere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Smiths Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent CEO, very genuine person and a great leader! Energetic and fun atmosphere to work in.

Cons

Poor quality systems, but right people are in place to improve.

Advice to Management

Keep the great energy and foster the excellent talent within the organization.

Smiths Medical Response

Mar 22, 2017 – HR

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback, and glad to hear you're enjoying working here!

"No Respect for Individuals that go the extra mile"

Current Employee - Team Technician in Southington, CT
    Current Employee - Team Technician in Southington, CT

I have been working at Smiths Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the most part, good people
    Break schedule splits up day well
    If you become skilled, the job becomes easy

Cons

Harassment for weekend overtime
    Denied weekday overtime
    Management doesn't agree with one another
    Employee/Supervisor conflicts
    Lack of engineering support

THE COMPANY IS CHEAP - Forcing me to payback a 2,000$ Tuition Reimbursement (IN ONE LUMP SUM / 640$ A MONTH OR IT WILL GO TO COLLECTIONS) - An employee with consistent exceptional performance holding multiple records on his machine. Who went as far to delay his next job an extra week (3 weeks notice), so he didn't leave a negative impact on the company and finish training his trainee. Not to mention an engineering student holding an E2 that from day #1 (and my hiring manager can attest) had interest in working for the engineering department or building services. All attempts were put on the shelf and posted online with my resume in their hands.

Advice to Management

Stop saying you're going to do something and just do it, IT SAVES MONEY.

Respect the employees that are here now and your turnaround won't average 5 weeks.

Stop buying cheap materials, saving 2,000$ a year in the cheapest air fittings has cost you 20,000$ total just in the extra time it takes to remove the cheap garbage, per machine.

HR department is, by far, the worst. No doubt her resume was fake, and you fell for that load of nonsense.

Offer incentives, nobody wants to work 3 times as hard for nothing. Would've stuck around if there wasn't so much false hope of progression within the company.

Smiths Medical Response

Apr 27, 2017 – HR

Smiths Medical is proud to offer assistance with employee development through our tuition reimbursement program which offers employees up to $5,250 per year. As with industry standards, if an ... More

"Positive Reviews are not real!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Smiths Medical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a nice building and that's it

Cons

I find it interesting that most of the reviews will rate Smiths a 1. Then all of a sudden a string of VERY positive reviews will show up rating the company a 5 in some cases. How can Smiths be more obvious. These are obvious "planted" reviews by the company. Read them: they are short, no real information, just the reviews, This is done to bring up the rating of the company. Read the actual reviews and you will get a sense for what this company is all about, AND IT'S NOT GOOD!

Advice to Management

Learn how to compete in the medical device market, it's not that hard.