Smoker & Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Smoker & Company Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2019

2.2
Smoker & Company Founder Michael Smoker (no image)
Michael Smoker
  1. "Great people, great opportunity"

Current Employee - Call Center Supervisor

I have been working at Smoker & Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Room for advancement, support for employees in order to help them become their best, look to your strengths and put you where you are best fit within the company.

Cons

Lacking a bit in technology, however, they are working on that. I believe that if you complain about something, you are a part of the problem. Do your part to make changes instead of complaining.

Smoker & Company2019-07-25

"Keep Looking"

I worked at Smoker & Company full-time

Pros

If you are interviewing here you are desperate. Think about that.

Cons

Contributions of my own money to 401k plan wasn't deposited timely. That's right....my money! No dental insurance. Very expensive health insurance. Very few CPA's at what is supposed to be a CPA firm. You will get nickel and dimed down to the penny while management decisions let thousands walk out the door. There is no work life balance....i was given a flex schedule in the summer for what was supposed to be to make up for all the hours I worked in tax season and that was taken away from me after 1 month. Management has little secret deals with different employees that "no one can find out." It's very odd...stear clear there's a reason they can't recruit any good talent and just have to rely on interns who don't know any better and are just looking for their first job.

Advice to Management

Nothing.

Smoker & Company2018-01-08
  3. "Opportunity available to all hard workers"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Leola, PA

I have been working at Smoker & Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Embracing technology to integrate into the modern workplace. Summer Hours, tele-commuting when necessary. Company paid education for job place training. Accessible executive staff, open doors to share ideas, helpful co-workers and fun annual company outings!

Cons

Some of the buildings are a little older, internet could always be somewhat faster.

Advice to Management

Continue to embrace technology platforms and I am excited at the direction the company is heading!

Smoker & Company2017-01-31

"Never had a review"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Leola, PA

I have been working at Smoker & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are none unless you like to be cursed at

Cons

Too many to list - Front Desk people are very rude, they hold their noses when the Amish clients come in. The Clerical Supervisor is overworked and underpaid -

Advice to Management

Fire everybody and start over

Smoker & Company2017-01-27
  5. "Personally I like everything about my job at Smoker"

Current Employee - Accountant in Leola, PA

I have been working at Smoker & Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The usual good things at an office/ accounting job

Cons

the usual negative things at an office/ accounting job

Advice to Management

Continue open communication among employees, as they already do and just improve as best as possible

Smoker & Company2016-11-29

"The negative reviews don't lie"

I worked at Smoker & Company for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, decent co-workers, adequate and fair benefits, close to home, twenty word minimum is a joke on this app.

Cons

Read the reviews, and even more line up how the company's responses mirror responses that the Church of Scientology puts out about its critics. Maybe the owner isn't a Scientologist. Not my judgement to make. But when I was employed there ALL training materials and required work related reading was written by LRH. Judge for yourself. Watching the A&E show on Scientology brings back memories of what an oppressive workplace this was while I was there. Beware.

Advice to Management

Leave the LRH garbage out. It's goofy, quirky, and not fit for the workplace. You've lost a lot of good employees because of it.

Smoker & Company2016-12-30

"This place blows!"

I worked at Smoker & Company

Pros

They don't contribute to 401k in a timely fashion. It is normally 3-4 months behind.

Cons

Watch the A&E special on scientology with Leah Remini. You will encounter the same things. Any CPA with any standards wouldn't touch this place with a 10 foot pole.

Advice to Management

Please keep doing what your doing. I can't wait to see how this plays out. Every accountant in Lancaster knows this place is a joke.

Smoker & Company2016-12-19

"NOT WORTH YOUR TIME!!"

I worked at Smoker & Company for less than a year

Pros

Pay rate is decent for Lancaster Co. Paycheck until you find a nice place to work

Cons

The cons listed in this company's reviews are absolutely accurate.

Advice to Management

Stop stabbing each other in the back and gossiping about each other and put that energy into working as a team to make the company better for both clients & employees. Mike Smoker needs to learn to value ALL his employee's, not just a chosen few.

Smoker & Company2016-07-20

"Embarrassment to Accounting Profession"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant

I worked at Smoker & Company full-time

Pros

Read previous reviews. Wait let me save you time. There are none. The only pro is when you leave Smoker and realize how much better everyone else is......

Cons

The longer you work for Smoker, the more negative impact on your experience as a professional!!! You do not want this on your resume. I was told by all potential employers in Lancaster county that my experience at Smoker was my only blemish.

Advice to Management

Keep working 16-18 hour days for your bonus. Nothing else really matters.

Smoker & Company2016-07-23
  10. "More pro's than con's"

Sales/Producer in Leola, PA

I have been working at Smoker & Company

Pros

I have worked at Smoker & Co for over 5 years and have received a raise (more then a cost of living raise) each year I have been employed. I have been given the opportunity to be paid while getting certified to sell additional products. Smoker & Co has a very generous PTO policy and each year I have more vacation then I can use. Upper management never hides behind doors and I am regularly able to contact the CEO & CFO. Being in the marketing department has me facing our competitors a lot and I never have a problem selling our services. It truly never feels like I am going to work and I thoroughly enjoy each day I have had at Smoker & Co.

Cons

Some tech solutions for the marketing department could increase accidental overlaps by affiliate companies.

Advice to Management

Management is aware of the problem and is actively working to streamline a CRM tool.

Smoker & Company2016-01-04