Smokin Joes Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Smokes."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

you get free smokes, it's got the same name as me, the owner is great and I think everyone has a really good attitude.

Cons

They only give one bathroom break a day, and that's pretty hard after you finish a smoke. But on the flip side you can smoke.

2. "Key Holder / Customer Service Rep."

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Tacony, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Tacony, PA

Pros

Cool environment, great Manager Vernell Ross. Great Product items, great place to work until the corp office blindsided us.

Cons

The corprate office shut our Tacony location without notice. left all workers with nothing... had to wait 4 months for unemployment. I was really enjoying my work there but they pulled the rug out from under us.

Advice to Management

Give some thought to your works don't leave them with no warning of the shut down so they can prepare themselves for the closing and being upruptly unemployed.

3. "More cons than pros"

Current Intern - Cashier in Sanborn, NY
    Current Intern - Cashier in Sanborn, NY

I have been working at Smokin Joes as an intern (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very laid back, good coworkers, Great customers

Cons

If you are not part of the manager's click, it doesn't matter how much and how hard you work, or how excellent your customer service skills are. You will be treated poorly. From what I have seen, sexual harassment, as well as other illegal treatment, is ok and even laughed and joked about! Don't bother to find someone in higher management or HR to talk to about Any problems, because it will either be brushed aside or ignored completely. I do not blame Joe A. but I do blame the one's that know what is and has been going on and do Nothing. Communication is nonexistent and it's always someone else's fault. For many of us that have worked there for so long, continue to deal with this treatment and mismanagement and NOT A THING gets heard or fixed!

Advice to Management

Get rid of the ones that think they can treat people any way they want and know that there is no repercussions, otherwise I'm sure the harassment and poor treatment will go even further than it already has.

"Expect do do all the corporate work for minimum wage and work hours you aren't payed for."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Wyalusing, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Wyalusing, PA

I have been working at Smokin Joes part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice coworkers, nice clientele.

Cons

They pay minimum wage and expect their employees to do all the book keeping, inventory, lottery tracking, etc. They expect their employees to get to work 30 minutes early (mornings) and not get paid for that time. You need to be there at 7:15 but can't punch in until 7:45. Also, for minimum wage you are required to sweep, mop, clean and restock the entire store. The paperwork is ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Offer a decent salary and your turnover rate and competency would greatly improve. Hire a book keeper so your minimum wage employees don't have to do the work for you....... for free.

5. "Great customers"

Current Employee - Cashier in Picayune, MS
    Current Employee - Cashier in Picayune, MS

I have been working at Smokin Joes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved working there - was a very entertaining job

Cons

One of the owners was a very difficult person to deal with - though it was on a limited basis that you had to - just a difference of opinion on a lot of things and was not a very grateful person

6. "Cooker man"

Pros

Everything is very good here, food, etc.

Cons

Nothing is ever bad here, i like it.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

7. "Waiting tables"

Current Employee - Waitress
    Current Employee - Waitress

Pros

Very good place to work if you love working around people all day. You get to know your regular customers and see them everyday and also meet new people everyday as well. Real fun atmosphere

Cons

Not enough hours sometimes. Can't have more than 30 hrs at all. Never know what your gonna make in a day, but that's what happens when you are a waitress. There tends to be drama working with a lot of women.. When our customers see the horse playing by some of the girls especially with the night shift, they don't wanna come back. We have lost a lot of customers really. But it's starting to come back.. Different management

Advice to Management

Need to be more in the now with what goes on with the girls everyday. People need to be written up a lot more. People have to be called because they dont show up. No call no show. The girls all think it's a joke that being late or not listening when there told to stay off phones or taking money.. These girls should not be here really. If u can't come to wk u don't need a job bad enough..