Snagajob Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Peter Harrison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Some really fun and great people work here (in 8 reviews)

• Work/life balance is very good with good working hours (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior leadership has been a revolving door for the past three years and it (in 3 reviews)

• Either way, the continual knee-jerk changes in direction results in good people leaving, either from layoffs or for better opportunities (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Snagajob full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall a great company to work for. After 17 years the company is still experiencing major growing pains but for those who love a start up environment this means fun challenges and never a dull moment.

Cons

Benefits could be a bit stronger. Promotions and pay raises are hard to come by

Advice to Management

Train management, offer better cost of living pay increases and equal opportunities for promotions

Dec 4, 2017 – Senior Director, Snagger Services

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! We're so glad you think we're a great place to work, and we agree that the fast pace can bring some really exciting challenges. We still have the same... More

"Wasted Potential"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Snagajob full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best people in the world work at Snagajob, and they show it every day through their caring approach, their resiliency, and their belief in what the company can do.

Snagger Services (HR) is top notch and the recent awareness and support programs for PoC, women, and LGTBQ are awesome.

Pay packets and benefits are excellent.

Cons

Engineering and technical leadership are not valued. Architecture and coding craft, which provide long-term value, are not supported if they have any impact on timelines. The products are up to their necks in technical debt, and product owners are not held accountable for the stability of their products.

The company's mission has become a platitude, while the corporate values have literally become #hashtags used to applaud competent front-line workers for rescuing ill-conceived and poorly-planned initiatives brought on by management.

Despite what the responses to other reviews say, executive management has absolutely no interest in what your concerns are. My cohort (most of whom have now left) was completely ignored by the COO - she was not even willing to meet.

Advice to Management

Snagajob's founders and executives found it easier to ask investors for money than to develop the habits and skills to ask customers. Raising money isn't the same as building a successful business.

Learn that talk is cheap and results matter. No points for what you are going to do or intend to do. Results, by their very nature, are transparent. There has been far too much talk and too little delivery. Close the credibility gap.

Dec 11, 2017 – COO

Thank you for such candid feedback - although difficult to hear, I truly appreciate you being so honest and sharing your thoughts on areas for improvement.

First, I want to acknowledge that I... More

"Relaxed environment, poor leadership"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Snagajob full-time

Pros

Diverse workforce. There are frequent reorgs but below director level jobs seem secure. Relaxed environment.

Cons

Culture is declining rapidly, losing the best players. Product and engineering leadership is sub par. Not sure if it's growing pains or dying pains. Definitely feels like we're approaching sustain / milk-the-cow mode. Lots of over-engineering, lots of hypocrites.

Advice to Management

Good luck

Dec 6, 2017 – COO

Response: Thank you for your candid feedback. I take tremendous pride in being a Snagger, and I, too, am proud of the diverse workforce we are building. At the leadership level, we are well-aware of... More

"Don't work hourly"

I worked at Snagajob part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule and co-workers are nice

Cons

Management doesn't support hourly staff

Advice to Management

Get trained

Dec 4, 2017 – Senior Director, Snagger Services

Thanks for taking the time to share your concerns. We always appreciate feedback. We agree- the people here are great and our Snaggers are some of the kindest folks around. We also understand that... More

"Snagajob Engineering"

Current Employee - Staff DevOps Engineer in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Staff DevOps Engineer in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Snagajob full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tons of talented engineers with no EGO's and ready to get work done.

Cons

Leadership can't prioritize what is needed or actually organize anything. All about the BUZZ words.

Advice to Management

Get a CTO

Oct 24, 2017 – COO

Thank you for providing such honest feedback. We greatly appreciate hearing from current and past Snaggers on what we can do to continue making Snagajob a great place to work.

We have an... More

"Analyst"

I have been working at Snagajob full-time

Pros

It used to be very friendly and flexible.

Cons

They started to hire very mean people.

Advice to Management

Hire more smart people

Oct 30, 2017 – Senior Director, Snagger Services

Thanks for your review. Our work policies have actually implemented more flexibility to our teams over the past several years, and all those changes have helped teams become more productive. We... More

"Worst place I have ever worked"

I worked at Snagajob full-time

Pros

They offer some cool "benefits" - ping pong, a slide, food trucks, etc (only for the Richmond office though) - the Arlington office gets nothing exciting. They do pay well.

Cons

This organization is a complete disaster. Management cannot decide what they want to achieve and talk in circles, blame everyone else for their shortcomings, and blame their reps for anything that goes wrong. They have let go of quite a few talented and smart individuals for speaking out about issues, their top performers have left and the ones that remain are looking to leave. They talk about wanting to keep a tab on what their employees like and care about but ignore everything that is said. Their product is a mess, in order to fix the issues they have, they will essentially have to start over.

Advice to Management

Your employees are the frontline of what the customer says and wants - you may want to pay attention to what they are telling you, it might help you understand what customers truly want. Also, you need to cut some of your middle management, you have too many cooks in the kitchen.

Aug 31, 2017 – CRO

Thank you for your candid feedback. While it’s difficult to receive tough evaluations, I appreciate your honesty⎼and encourage all Snaggers to come to me, or another member of the executive team, to... More

8. "Intern"

Pros

Excellent company, great training and environment

Cons

Nothing at all, very happy here

Jun 8, 2017 – Senior Director, Snagger Services

Thanks for sharing the positive feedback! We're excited to welcome interns in many different departments across the company this summer, and would welcome additional thoughts about your internship... More

9. "Smart people that really believe in the mission"

Current Employee - Visual Designer in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Visual Designer in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Snagajob full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

• Supportive environment - people want you to succeed
    • Transparent on all matters - management wants people to know what's going on
    • Big focus on collaboration and coordination between departments
    • Huge importance on designing products with our audiences in mind and taking the time to iterate, test, and learn
    • Great company volunteering events to help the community
    • Great company social events to bond with coworkers
    • Good time off benefits
    • Everyone is approachable

Cons

• Too many meetings that are unnecessary (the company is cracking down on this)
    • Company is in a transition period and changes to organizational structure, and team structure is evolving (not as dramatically as several months previous). Can be kind of nerve wrecking for those that don't like things being "in the air"or undefined.

Advice to Management

Continue to bring people on board that care about our audiences, who don't have large egos, and that can work well with others.

May 4, 2017 – Senior Director, Snagger Services

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! We love that you've been able to participate in culture and take advantage of our benefits, and it's even more important that you feel supported... More

"Changing for the worse"

I have been working at Snagajob full-time

Pros

The people. Eclectic group of bright and fun people to work with. Work/life balance is very good with good working hours. Pay is good.

Cons

1. The consistent changes never get any input from the employees. There is a very large disconnect between what senior leaders think and what is said around the water cooler. In my division, there isn't a single person who is truly happy and not looking at other jobs. As more of a legacy Snagger I know from experience the way things used to be and they are going downhill fast.
    2. Layoffs - every day you fear for your job. Senior leaders aren't safe all the way down to the entry level positions. Seems as if Snag is just scrambling to satisfy investors and no longer cares about doing right by their employees.
    3. Product - the product doesn't have a clear vision anymore which is very confusing and certain teams are left in the dust when we all of the sudden buy a new company.

Advice to Management

Regardless of how you respond to this review, because I know you will do it in a politically correct way and that is fine, please internalize what I am saying. I am reaching out here because I don't think our advice is taken seriously in other channels.

Apr 20, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide such candid feedback. We take all feedback seriously - whether via internal or external channels. It’s no secret that we saw a lot of change this past year... More