Snagajob Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 14, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Peter Harrison

Pros
  • Some really fun and great people work here (in 8 reviews)

• Work/life balance is very good with good working hours (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior leadership has been a revolving door for the past three years and it (in 3 reviews)

• The stopping and starting and constant changes in direction without anything to show were dizzying and frustrating (in 2 reviews)

"Good Culture, terrible leadership"

Current Employee - Mid-Market Account Executive in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Mid-Market Account Executive in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Snagajob full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good culture, mostly good people, relaxed dress and a lot of fun company events.

Cons

Upper management, particularly in sales are dictators and are very disconnected from reality. A lot of managers were brought in this year from outside companies and are trying to exact change based on previous company experience rather than adapting to what works for Snagajob. They also claim that they want feedback consistently, but when feedback is given that either challenges them, or does not align with their beliefs, people are talked down to as a result

Advice to Management

If you want feedback, learn how to take it. Understand that not all people can be managed the same way, and be willing to take ownership that not all processes and systems that are put into place are going to be successful. Don't always blame the sales people or 'lower level' employees for those failures just to keep your own image clear

"Culture but not enough results"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Snagajob (More than a year)

Pros

Culture was an important part of the corporate strategy and the feeling of team made it a nice place.

Cons

Too much culture leaves out execution and focus. It was hard to get focused when you had 5pm beer parties and management changes all the time.

Advice to Management

Deliver value by increasing your execution on results.

"Cool place with impossible to reach criteria"

Former Employee - Customer Support in Glen Allen, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at Snagajob full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere and benefits. Young hip company. Great building and offices with solid corporate structure.

Cons

They have 3-4 people supporting 40+million dollars of business. There are 1000s of requests daily and got upset if any one of the customers were dissatisfied for any reason; when it is completely impossible to solve and make happy everyone's issues to their satisfaction in a timely manner. People that have no idea about technology or features or why they have to wait or can't get through to a staff or 3 people.

Advice to Management

If you want to grow your company grow your staff and treat them as less than expendable and replaceable.

"Good culture, bad business"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Allen, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Allen, VA

I have been working at Snagajob full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of lovely perks to this company. We have a casual work environment and nice clean open offices. Some of the company employees have more free time than others allowing them to partake in the cultural company events.

Cons

In terms of running a functional business there is very little accountability or help from leadership team members. The greatest needs are often overlooked for a new flashy marketing gimmick. There are many positions that are overworked without additional employees to be hired on the horizon. As the company grows, we are experiencing more pain that is overlooked by the leaders to work towards the company vision instead of fixing the glaring issues we have internally currently. Too future focused with very little insight or care for the sand foundation we are built on.
    Additionally there seems to be far more politicking, backstabbing, and drama for a small company. It makes for a hostile work environment some weeks surrounded by unnecessary stress. The amazing company values and culture are not often experienced working here.

Advice to Management

Stop for a moment. Focus on what needs to be fixed. Pour money into fixing the foundation of the company, our technological architecture, before pushing forward trying to patch faulty business processes and technology along the way.

"Used to be a great company."

Former Employee - Lead Developer in Glen Allen, VA
    Former Employee - Lead Developer in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at Snagajob full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the people there are great! Lots of good fun!

Cons

Too many developers and operations people with huge egos but not the experience to back themselves up!! Too many employees complaining and being part of the problem and not being part of the solution.
    Old, awesome culture is now DEAD!! Too many young inexperienced managers making bad decisions, backstabbing and politicking.

"A lot of potential just missing some key players."

Former Employee - Manager, Sales in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Manager, Sales in Richmond, VA

I worked at Snagajob full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun and very competitive with great pay.

Cons

Not very realistic goals that are based off of numbers that are not proven.

"Company with lots of potential, not much else"

Former Employee - Sales in Glen Allen, VA
    Former Employee - Sales in Glen Allen, VA

Pros

Great culture, solid and diverse benefits.

Cons

Rampant burn-out, not enough employee development and support coupled with too-eager attitude to toss people out, mind-boggling bad decision making (and decision reversing), zero collaboration between different teams, cocky and ineffective middle managers, and way too much attention paid to consultants (if you've written a book and had something/anything to do with a successful dot com on the west coast you too can tell this company what to do!)

Advice to Management

Learn to lead, not just build culture; stop the mindless acceptance of outside consultant's advice; build a culture around employee trust and respect rather than frat house beer, antics, and slides.

"Great people and culture, poor management and process"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Pros

Fun, exciting, engaging atmosphere
    Management has a lot of things right such as the culture and physical environment
    Management definitely has a strong resume
    Benefits are great

Cons

Management at Snagajob is chasing down the newest trends without having a solid foundation Management is secretive in a scary ways at times instead of being upfront (Big Brother)
    Despite the culture Snagajob does not know how to handle employees where it 'counts'
    Management does not seem to keep promises it makes to employees

Advice to Management

Get you processes in order
    Be careful of your advisers/consultants: they don't always know better than employees
    Move the office out of Glen Allen and your probability of success should increase

"Changing for the worse"

I have been working at Snagajob full-time

Pros

The people. Eclectic group of bright and fun people to work with. Work/life balance is very good with good working hours. Pay is good.

Cons

1. The consistent changes never get any input from the employees. There is a very large disconnect between what senior leaders think and what is said around the water cooler. In my division, there isn't a single person who is truly happy and not looking at other jobs. As more of a legacy Snagger I know from experience the way things used to be and they are going downhill fast.
    2. Layoffs - every day you fear for your job. Senior leaders aren't safe all the way down to the entry level positions. Seems as if Snag is just scrambling to satisfy investors and no longer cares about doing right by their employees.
    3. Product - the product doesn't have a clear vision anymore which is very confusing and certain teams are left in the dust when we all of the sudden buy a new company.

Advice to Management

Regardless of how you respond to this review, because I know you will do it in a politically correct way and that is fine, please internalize what I am saying. I am reaching out here because I don't think our advice is taken seriously in other channels.

Snagajob Response

Apr 20, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide such candid feedback. We take all feedback seriously - whether via internal or external channels. It’s no secret that we saw a lot of change this past year ... More

"Copywriter"

I worked at Snagajob full-time

Pros

Free snacks, on-site events, nice office.

Cons

The people who work here are very cliquey and will "haze" new employees by gossiping and shutting them out until deem them cool enough to accept into the group. They play up the "best place to work" mantra, but other employees are quite unpleasant. The CEO plays favorites and HR is pretty worthless.

Snagajob Response

Feb 15, 2017 – Senior Director, Snagger Services

Thank you for taking the time to provide such valuable feedback. We’ve experienced a lot of change the past couple of years (and especially months!). We are working hard to establish an even stronger ... More