Snap-on Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Snap-on Chairman, President, and CEO Nick Pinchuk
Nick Pinchuk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits including insurance, EAP, 401k and even a pension (in 9 reviews)

• Great company, great benefits, everyone is eager to help and make you successful (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, difficult customers can play a part (in 11 reviews)

• Work-life balance is up to the franchisee (in 5 reviews)

"They have driven many talented experienced employees out forcing the remaining survivors to carry the load."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

name recognition- they make good tools.

Cons

the executive leadership within Snapon prides themselves in the beloved mission statement "Who we are" but implementation is somewhat lacking. They are driving the workforce with bullying tactics that are more juvenile than professional.

Advice to Management

Abusive behavior does not drive improvement on the bottom line.

"Executives, especially the CEO, continue to be overpaid while employees and former empolyees struggle"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kenosha, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kenosha, WI

I worked at Snap-on full-time

Pros

Facility in Kenosha is decent. Area is a good place to raise family.

Cons

Morale extremely low, no work-life balance, employees get to read about overpaid senior executives while watching their co-workers lose their jobs and their homes. Sadly, so many families ripped apart due to work stress and/or lay-off stress. There is no way that the performance of the company can be attributed to the "talent" of one man. Snap-on is the only game in town and the employees give blood just to keep their jobs. The employees are the real reason for the company success, not the greed of the CEO. If you become disabled while employed there, their insurance company will take ALL of your dependent benefits from SSDI to pay themselves back for your benefits: this is in place because senior management decided to take a discount on premiums. Yes, this info is in teeny, teeny print on the benefits statement. What does the CEO care if a disabled employee can't send their children to college? If the company did not take the premium discount, thereby allowing disabled employees to keep their dependent SSDI benefits, the CEO would still find himself highly overpaid. That extra money in his pocket will make little difference in his life, but that employee's ability to send his/her children to college will make a huge difference in their's. So sad that the greed of the CEO has outweighed his concern for his employees, their families and the communities in which they live.

Advice to Management

Want to watch morale and performance go way up? Take reasonable salaries, bonuses and stock comp for yourselves and ensure that more employees get to keep their jobs and their homes. Let them have work life balance so they can be there for their children.

While you may be able to manage by fear and continue to replace burned out employees with anyone who desparately needs a job, what legacy are you really leaving? You are already set for life: give others a chance to have some work/life balance and be their for their children, their parents and their community. Don't you want your life to have meaning other than money?

"They have done everything possible to limit my income when I became a top sales person in the field."

Current Employee - Independent Sale Representative in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Independent Sale Representative in Poway, CA

I have been working at Snap-on full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You set your own working hours. Mine are 5:30 AM to 8:00 pm

Cons

Raise my objective 185% because I was told I was paid to much last year.

Advice to Management

Don't have finance be in charge of your sales force. Don't have someone who is a short timer running a division only to make numbers off the back of their sales team. When they are gone your sales team that is left will be worthless.

"Buggy Software"

Former Employee - Diagnostics Sales Developer
    Former Employee - Diagnostics Sales Developer

I worked at Snap-on full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Set your own schedule, insurance, commission on ShopKey

Cons

80 hr workweek, irate customers ( due to buggy software Verus/Verdict ). No raise in 4 years.

Advice to Management

respect the sales reps

"Great product terrible management"

Former Employee - Industrial Sales in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Industrial Sales in Dayton, OH

I worked at Snap-on full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Product is outstanding and the customers are loyal.

Cons

Management has become greedy. They company is only worried about the stock holders and themselves

Advice to Management

Bring back the team atmosphere I heard so much about before I started Seasoned employees talk about the good old day when the job paid and everybody pulled for each other. This was never my experience in the five years I was employed.

"Foul place"

Pros

Regular pay check, incredibly hard to get fired, can scan your car any time

Cons

No respect for employees, no faith in employees, motivational talks is the threat of being fired, ignorant, not forward thinking

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees, ditch the ways of having everyone walk on egg shells, look to the future, be proactive not reactive, it is no longer 1988, nepotism needs to stop

"Customer Service"

I worked at Snap-on full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

company overall is wonderful, except CS for Dealer area

Cons

working in CS in CL for Dealers, worst experience

Advice to Management

Stop making Customer Service sell to keep their jobs

"Account manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Kenosha, WI
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Kenosha, WI

Pros

Solid brand name in industry.

Cons

Old mature industry, profit margins are scaling back, Snap-on looking toward a cheaper labor force. My salary was cut by 50% in 2 years, they tell you via email. I was in the top 20% in Sales. CEO takes about $9M a year out in "stock options".....while they cut the workers salaries.

Advice to Management

None....they cannot be advised by anyone beneath their job title. Good Ol Boys club.

"Customer Care Center"

Former Employee - Customer Care Center Representative in Crystal Lake, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Care Center Representative in Crystal Lake, IL

Pros

People I worked with were nice.

Cons

Working in the Customer Care center you are required to meet certain requirements that are not logical. Say for example if you are on a call that starts before your scheduled break but runs into that break...well you are out of compliance and it will have a negative impact on you but you MUST stay on the call until finished. So you are penalized for doing your job with no choice in the matter. They recently changed their system so that every customer care agent is required to take care of any call they get to eliminate transfers. This is a huge problem since their computer systems are horrible and difficult to use. to get the information needed quickly. 99% of the new hires were gone before 90 days when I worked there. The stress and amount of work required is not worth the 15 dollars an hour. You also have to get to work early to get your computer programs all set up and running so you are ready to take a call seconds after your shift starts.MANY people start work duties before their shift just to get caught up. MANY people also do some work during breaks and lunch for the same reasons. This is actually against the law but they continue to do this to keep up with the job. Bottom line is I would never advise anyone to work in the call center or really anywhere at Snap- on due to the way they operate. Much better options.

Advice to Management

Don't just agree with the ridiculous rules question them to upper management and support the people under you. The attitude in the CCC is not good and many people are unhappy and looking for other options.

"Equipment sales specialist"

Former Employee - Equipment Sales Specialist in Southeast Owasco, NY
    Former Employee - Equipment Sales Specialist in Southeast Owasco, NY

I worked at Snap-on (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules, enjoy working with most accounts.
    Work with wide range of people and companies.
    Enjoy time working with Industrial and Military Reps.

Cons

Micro manager, bullying, age discrimination, unreal forecasting, manager only cares about himself and his commissions, has no care for customer satisfaction.
    Tells you after hired, the more you need me the less I need you.
    No MARKETING!
    CRS program is a joke! Modified excel spread sheet.
    Compete against our own company products.
    Do not make anything close to what they tell you! Will spend more than you make at least for one to two years.
    Turn over is at least one person a month in our sales team.
    No chance for advancement. HR protects even the worst managers.
    Poor training and no follow up training.
    No support from franchises that we are told we have to work with. They also cannot stand our manager.

Advice to Management

Look at how the Conway Country Club is being managed!